When do you think the Sabres will be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs?

Jsixspd

Checked the wildcard standings today at ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/type/wildcard/group/1

Can't be too much longer until the Sabres are shut out of the 2014 playoffs - we're already 24 points behind the 2nd tier wildcard team, Detroit. In the last month, 14 games played, Sabres only made 12 points out of 28 possible. And there's 27 games left in the season, so only 54 points left.

At the current pace from the last 14 games, 12/28 = 43%. If the Sabres stay the same, projecting ahead, 43% of 54 = 23 points. Even if Detroit didn't earn another point all season, we would still come in one point behind them.

I'm guessing by March 18th, Sabres will be playing only for pride - they'll be eliminated.

Checked the wildcard standings today at ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/type/wildcard/group/1

Can't be too much longer until the Sabres are shut out of the 2014 playoffs - we're already 24 points behind the 2nd tier wildcard team, Detroit. In the last month, 14 games played, Sabres only made 12 points out of 28 possible. And there's 27 games left in the season, so only 54 points left.

At the current pace from the last 14 games, 12/28 = 43%. If the Sabres stay the same, projecting ahead, 43% of 54 = 23 points. Even if Detroit didn't earn another point all season, we would still come in one point behind them.

I'm guessing by March 18th, Sabres will be playing only for pride - they'll be eliminated.

Ah then we can go on our winning streak!

Ah then we can go on our winning streak!

That would be awful, because at that point the only thing to hope for is a draft pick. You know, I hate to say it, but The Tank is looking more appealing. Also, less aggravating - instead of getting angry, for example, like I did at that ridiculous waived off goal against the Oilers, if one's for The Tank, a moment like that is enjoyable instead and easy on the blood pressure.

It'll be a while. They can get a max of 92 points right now which is 30 more than the last wild card spot.

The earliest they could be eliminated is March 7th but that would take right straight regulation losses and then nothing but wins for the bottom wild card teams.

• 1 month later...

It'll be a while. They can get a max of 92 points right now which is 30 more than the last wild card spot.

The earliest they could be eliminated is March 7th but that would take right straight regulation losses and then nothing but wins for the bottom wild card teams.

You know, the Sabres did a great job - of tanking. The earliest they could have gotten eliminated, when you wrote this in Early February, was March 7th....and they only got 5 games past your worst case scenario. That's pretty sad.

It's unbelievable they're already out at the mid-point of March. Is this some kind of new dubious record for earliest playoff elimination?

Edited by Jsixspd

Ummm, he he haaahhahahaha a BWAAAHAHAAHAHHHAAAAAAA :w00t:

I know you don't think they can do it though :clapping:

When was the last time we made the playoffs ? Apparently before this tank shite members of this board thought we were 1 or 2 players away from the cup. lol

As to the thread title. Weren't we eliminated last game ?

Yes, we were eliminated when Columbus won Saturday night.

Yes, we were eliminated when Columbus won Saturday night.

Only 9 more losses until the Sabres have officially clinched last place or a combination of Edmonton and Florida wins and Sabres losses get us there too. Florida has 1 more point then Edmonton and is playing has bad as the Sabres though they got a point last night. The Isles and Calgary each have 61 points and should be monitored as well losing 7 games or a combination of that gets the Sabres lower than them.

Only 4 points in losses or combination and the Sabres clinch 26th place from Carolina.

To reply to beerme1, "mathematical" elimination is when the gap between the Sabres current points and the points of the team occupying the lowest playoff berth is greater than the total points available in the remainder of the season. We achieved that point over the weekend.

No one rationally thought they were gonna earn 32 out of 32 or 30 out of 30, or whatever. But this weekend was the final last gasp of an awful season, in terms of the season having any playoff significance for the Sabres.

Edited by Jsixspd

Reverse Magic Number to Number 1 Pick: 18

Edmonton: 69 24 36 9 57

Buffalo: 68 19 41 8 46

So by my calculation, the Sabres reverse magic number to clinch the number 1 seed is 18 points. Any combination of Sabres loss points (-2), OTL (-1) and Edmonton points for Wins (-2) and OTL (-1) will do it.

This is calculated to take a way a tie should they both finish with 74 points. I presume H2H is then assessed in the event of a tie. Buffalo has lost once already to Edmonton.

The Buffalo at Edmonton game is worth -4 points if Buffalo can lose in regulation.

That's of course if I have the math right.

Tiebreaker is ROWs.

At one point in time that was true. Nobody actually thought they were going to win out.

To reply to beerme1, "mathematical" elimination is when the gap between the Sabres current points and the points of the team occupying the lowest playoff berth is greater than the total points available in the remainder of the season. We achieved that point over the weekend.

No one rationally thought they were gonna earn 32 out of 32 or 30 out of 30, or whatever. But this weekend was the final last gasp of an awful season, in terms of the season having any playoff significance for the Sabres.

I KNOW. But just repeat that line to yourself and tell me you don't laugh. Of course no one was thinking they could do so.

ESPN has updated their standings - I noticed that now there's a big "e" next to Buffalo's name in the standings for ELIMINATED. Took em a few days to add it - maybe they couldn't believe that the Sabres were eliminated by St. Patrick's Day?

That takes some doing with Wildcard playoffs to get eliminated a month before the season ends. Have the Sabres ever been eliminated from the playoffs as early or earlier than this?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/type/wildcard

• 10 months later...

Bump.  Time to give your guesses for 2015.

Late April. 

Edit: illiteracy crept up on me there, thought this was for next season. For this year, I'll go March 1st: figure that's a solid gift to wish for on my birthday this year.

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.