John Vogl replaces Bucky

IKnowPhysics

Discuss.

Vogl's first column as Bucky's replacement illuminated an easily-overlooked detail I thought was important in the offseason. Good start.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/inside-the-nhl/sabres-looking-for-an-edge-through-analytics-20131013

This is exactly the type of analytics person teams should hire. Someone who loves the game and has played in a few different places, has a couple of advanced technical degrees, and is a total applied mathematics nerd, so much so that they married other nerds. Bonus points for the teaching assistantship; he should be able to communicate complex ideas well.

Nice to know we have an engineer/mathematician working on the inside.

Vogl said he will also attempt to "make this column his own," in addition to not dropping Jim Kelley's name in articles.

edit: Fixed link.

Discuss Vogl replacing Bucky or discuss the article? We already discussed Vogl replacing Bucky. I think we all decided that the most plausible scenario was that the switch was the result of Ted Black bullying TBN into using a more Sabres friendly reporter for the role. :angel:

And your link goes nowhere.

I missed all this. Thread title is Vogl replaces Bucky so here goes. Did Bucky get shitcanned ? Was Ted Black in any way involved ? Do the sabres have any control over the local media or do they try to control media ? Has Bucky resurfaced elsewhere,i.e. does he have a blog ?

I'm just curious as to the above questions. Not trying to stir things up. This stuff has in all likelihood been covered but i missed it,

No more Vogl doing game stories? Just Mike Harrington?

I liked the column too, but it was more newsy than anything else.

Delayed reaction… the Sabres hired a rocket scientist to figure out why they suck?

In theory, they hired a guy to prevent them from sucking in the future

I missed all this. Thread title is Vogl replaces Bucky so here goes. Did Bucky get shitcanned ? Was Ted Black in any way involved ? Do the sabres have any control over the local media or do they try to control media ? Has Bucky resurfaced elsewhere,i.e. does he have a blog ?

I'm just curious as to the above questions. Not trying to stir things up. This stuff has in all likelihood been covered but i missed it,

Last week Bucky wrote a column stating that it was time to move on from his Sabres columnist role. He is still working on sports for TBN, he's just not writing a regular Sabres column any more.

Last week Bucky wrote a column stating that it was time to move on from his Sabres columnist role. He is still working on sports for TBN, he's just not writing a regular Sabres column any more.

I took it as he won't do the Sunday column anymore but will still write commentaries on the team.

ah thanks. Explains alot. Maybe it was affecting his health ? More than likely realized he wasn't contributing in any meaningful way or making a difference simply rehashing his beefs.

I missed that, probably because I don't read Bucky anymore.

Good.

I missed Bucky leaving.. but I don't care and I don't read the news either. Vogl's article was nice. The analytics piece is nice to see.. but my favorite part was:

News reporters used to fly on the team charter, and my debut road trip in 2002 was to Raleigh. The crosswinds were ridiculous as we prepared for landing, with the plane’s tale swinging left, right, left, right. I could tell by the armrest-clutching of those around me this wasn’t common.

RJ’s voice suddenly boomed from the row behind me.

“Hold on to your hats,” he shrieked in full broadcast voice. “We’re coming in hot!”

The nerves were gone. I was about to crash to the play-by-play of Rick Jeanneret. How cool is this, I excitedly thought. Thankfully, the landing went fine and there are more memories to share of the Hall of Famer.

That's the kind of stuff that never gets told too often.

Archived