2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 4/21/14

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

The opening round of the United States Hockey League playoffs concluded over the weekend, with just one of the three Buffalo Sabres prospects involved advancing to the next round.

Cal Petersen (2013, fifth round) made 23 saves Thursday as the Waterloo Black Hawks moved on to the Clark Cup Semifinal with a 7-2 victory over the Sioux Falls Stampede. Petersen, who started all three games of the best-of-five series sweep, is expected to get the call again when the Black Hawks open the Western Conference Final on Friday against the Sioux City Musketeers. Petersen allowed nine goals on 82 shots in the opening round to improve to 5-2 with a 3.69 GAA and .885 save% in seven career playoff starts.

Elsewhere, Connor Hurley (2013, second round) was stifled as Green Bay was eliminated in four games thanks to back-to-back 1-0 losses to Indiana on home ice. Hurley contributed two of the Gamblers’ 12 shots on goal in Thursday’s Game 3, and produced another three shots in the season-ending defeat on Friday. Hurley finishes postseason play with four points (2+2), all of which came in Green Bay’s Game 2 victory. The 6-foot-2 centerman will move up a level next season when he joins the University of Notre Dame in the ultra-competitive Hockey East conference.

Judd Peterson (2012, seventh round) watched the final two games from the stands with an ankle injury as Cedar Rapids was eliminated from postseason play Saturday with 7-3 loss at Dubuque. Peterson completes the postseason with no points and five shots on goal in two games. The 20-year old is set to enroll at St. Cloud State University in the fall.

It's nice to see the Sabre's aren't purely relying on high-end Tank picks. That has consistently been one of the major problems with the Oilers, lack of late round talent developing. Whereas teams like the Kings, Red Wings, etc. find ways to take those guys and make them into something. There's only 1 first round pick in that group, Zadorov. To be fair I'm sure it was because of the leagues those guys were in (i.e. Risto was bounced between here and the AHL, Grigs too, not sure if there are that many AHL awards) but it's still good to see.

Ulmark winning not the rookie consideration but THE SHL goaltender of the year is awesome Baptiste is getting high recognition from a very tough league, and Zadorov just continues to get better. :beer:

Linus Ullmark must be signed to an entry level deal by June 1 for the Sabres to retain his NHL rights.

Straight from section 8.6 of the CBA:

d)Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.

(i) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if

a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North

America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation

for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his

selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to

such Player to retain such rights

You think we'd be dumb enough not to qualify him?

That's not what the section I quoted refers to. It is stating how long they hold his draft rights. The negotiating rights in this case refer specifically to a drafted player.

That's not what the section I quoted refers to. It is stating how long they hold his draft rights. The negotiating rights in this case refer specifically to a drafted player.

Right, yea I understood that. I was just asking if you thought the Sabres wouldn't sign him. I had read a report earlier saying they had to but it appears that isn't the case.

Right, yea I understood that. I was just asking if you thought the Sabres wouldn't sign him. I had read a report earlier saying they had to but it appears that isn't the case.

If they don't have to, I'd guess that they'll wait.

Besides the obvious improvement in point totals, Nick Baptiste took a giant stride forward this year and I believe will end up being one of the top 20 players to come out of a deep draft class. I don't want to get too carried away, but IMPO he will make a solid second line player (~20-25 goals). I went back and watched some of his games and he has a tremendous first step coupled with above average net presence. His hands are solid and I don't think he will shy away from the physicality of the much bigger NHL. I was wondering what others thoughts are on him especially focusing on his limitations or possible negative attributes?

Besides the obvious improvement in point totals, Nick Baptiste took a giant stride forward this year and I believe will end up being one of the top 20 players to come out of a deep draft class. I don't want to get too carried away, but IMPO he will make a solid second line player (~20-25 goals). I went back and watched some of his games and he has a tremendous first step coupled with above average net presence. His hands are solid and I don't think he will shy away from the physicality of the much bigger NHL. I was wondering what others thoughts are on him especially focusing on his limitations or possible negative attributes?

Nice first post and welcome aboard. I think you have a pretty good analysis of Baptiste from the limited viewings I have of him and the reports I have read. He projects to be a very hard working, physical, 2 way winger that can fit nicely in the top 6. His jump in production is most encouraging considering he was one of the younger players in last years draft. Time will tell with Nick but I have hope.

Nice first post and welcome aboard. I think you have a pretty good analysis of Baptiste from the limited viewings I have of him and the reports I have read. He projects to be a very hard working, physical, 2 way winger that can fit nicely in the top 6. His jump in production is most encouraging considering he was one of the younger players in last years draft. Time will tell with Nick but I have hope.

Thank you. I like your point about how young he was in the draft class too. Not made for this thread but another reason I like Bennett. However, I do have another question about an intriguing sabres prospect/player. Can Deslauriers be anything more than a 3rd/4th liner? To be honest I never knew anything about him until the Sabres drafted him. I have never seen him play before the NHL. The only thing I know about him are his stat's and since he is a converted defensemen it is really tough to gauge. In the NHL he played a really simple but effective game and it was nice to see. For anyone who has seen more of him is there more offensive creativity to his game or is last year what we should expect?

In the Rochester stretch run he looked much the same player we saw in Buffalo.

I don't see him having the hockey sense to rise above the fourth line, but part of that may be the new position.

He does have some puck skill. He can skate, he's a brick and he's not afraid to use that size.