Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

One of my least favorite. So boring.

yup, always on that freeking wall, atleast now his nightwatch duty is over :P

Only two things can happen.

1. Melisandra is there for a reason, save jon snow and his storyline can finally pick up.

2. he is actually dead.

both him and stannis dead , I can't see any good from that though. Except room has been made for bran and rickon

that being said none of us saw stannis die and that kind of kill isn't her style.

Edited by Heimdall

The carnage last night was impressive.  I didn't read the book, so the ending took my breath away.  

One, maybe two good shows all season though doesn't change my opinion that the show has gone down hill.

yup, always on that freeking wall, atleast now his nightwatch duty is over :P

Only two things can happen.

1. Melisandra is there for a reason, save jon snow and his storyline can finally pick up.

2. he is actually dead.

both him and stannis dead , I can't see any good from that though. Except room has been made for bran and rickon

that being said none of us saw stannis die and that kind of kill isn't her style.

Hopefully melisandra is there to show her rack. I mean it's GOT, so there is a 90% chance we'll be rewarded. Speaking of rewarded, Cearsi's naked season was looooooooong. As was I...

(all spoiler tags in this post are for the season finale of season 5)

Eh.  Underwhelming.  Character deaths aren't good drama in and of themselves, as the showrunners seem to think.  

Allister Thorne and Olly should've come to Jon's defense when the mutiny happened.  It would lend their character's some depth instead of them just being shortsighted .  Olly stabbing Jon last added absolutely no emotional impact to that scene whatsoever.  

Cersei's scene was pretty heart wrenching and probably twice as long as it should've been.

In Meereen, everybody started talking in exposition voice.  It was like they were all trying to audition for narrator in the middle of the episode.

Stannis's death was pretty pointless.  It goes to show:  he had no plan and just listened to Melly Dre for all of his screen time.  As soon as she was wrong and she left, he died.  They let him kill two mooks before his death for... some reason.  And then Brienne takes a break from standing rooted to the same place for 6 episodes so she can kill already wounded Stannis.  What did this do for either of their characters?  Brienne's oaths conflicted (one to avenge Renly, one to protect Sansa), but she doesn't even know that they did, so what's the point?

Cersei's scene was pretty heart wrenching and probably twice as long as it should've been.

Yea that finale was boring. The Cersai ###### was far too long. 

I was watching with my wife, pausing and explaining, now this scene is about...   It was tedious...

Then the Cersei atonement came on.  I made the same comment.  We get it.  Move on..  You're burning season finale time here when you could be sewing up other details, like what happened to the castle wall jumpers?  

I also predicted that Theon would throw that lady archer over the side.  You could see that coming a mile-away..

Well, I thought it was great.

Tyrion ruling again? Fantastic. And Varys is back! I could honestly watch an entire episode of Tyrion and Varys talking.

Stannis being abandoned, followed by his pretend siege being crushed and Brienne finally doing something? Fitting.

Arya killing Trant like that? One of my favorite scenes in the entire show.

Hey look, something important happened in Dorne! And as a bonus, it made Jaime feel more real pain.

I agree Cersei's scene was too long, but I'm not going to be overly annoyed because there was some real satisfaction seeing her humiliated so thoroughly.

Ideally I think Jon's scene could have used some more in episode buildup, but contrary to some, I think it did pack some emotional punch especially with who delivered the final blow. Qwk, I honestly don't see why you would think that Aliser intervening would build depth to his character...it would be totally illogical and out of characyer for that to happen. Depth, but at what price?

Edit: Oh yea! Robert Strong! Awesome.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

"He was a man, now a wolf, now a man again."

lol, don't read this spoiler :D

Well, I thought it was great.

Tyrion ruling again? Fantastic. And Varys is back! I could honestly watch an entire episode of Tyrion and Varys talking.

Stannis being abandoned, followed by his pretend siege being crushed and Brienne finally doing something? Fitting.

Arya killing Trant like that? One of my favorite scenes in the entire show.

Hey look, something important happened in Dorne! And as a bonus, it made Jaime feel more real pain.

I agree Cersei's scene was too long, but I'm not going to be overly annoyed because there was some real satisfaction seeing her humiliated so thoroughly.

Ideally I think Jon's scene could have used some more in episode buildup, but contrary to some, I think it did pack some emotional punch especially with who delivered the final blow. Qwk, I honestly don't see why you would think that Aliser intervening would build depth to his character...it would be totally illogical and out of characyer for that to happen. Depth, but at what price?

Edit: Oh yea! Robert Strong! Awesome.

All i could think of the cersei part was, damn nice boobs for a 40 yr old chick :D

Edited by Heimdall

Alliser Thorne was the coolest during the battle for the wall when he put aside his little quarrel with Jon for the greater good.  Jon showed respect to him by making him first ranger.  Instead of giving Jon good counsel or doing... anything, Alliser continued to be the same shallow doosh he always was.  I don't know how you can say it's totally illogical and out of character for Alliser to not be the worst guy in the world. GRRM is great at letting the reader perceive characters a certain way, and then revealing more depth that is often contrary to what it seemed like on the surface. If you need an example of this, how about the first character who dies in the story, Waymar Royce?  He appears to be a vain teenage douche, but he's actually a hardcore badass willing to sword fight with a white walker.

There was no in episode build up or in season build up for this moment.  Jon Snow sacrificing Night's Watch lives to save wildlings at Hardhome was apparently enough for another Nights Watch Mutiny.TM This makes no sense.  If anything, having black brothers at Hardhome to see the true menace of the White Walkers should help Jon's standing with the Watch.  Those men would've spread tales of the most epic incredible thing that happened to their brothers.  It felt rushed.  Yet another plot point that was slowly and deliberately built towards in the book that they pulled out of nowhere in the show.

The biggest problem with the show is the lack of hope.  Stark supporters in the North? Cut.  Repercussions for the Bolton involvement in the Red Wedding? Cut. (Actually the Boltons in general have impervious plot armor)  The North Remembers? Hah. Lady Stoneheart? Cut. Nymeria's Wolfpack?  Who knows.

Just character death after character death without any weight or storytelling payoff. The Red Wedding was very well done, except for all the screen time Robb and Talisa got in season three to build up the shock value.  The mutiny felt like a personal attack, not members of the watch who were pushed into it.  Just weaksauce.

Stannis...yikes. That was uncomfortable. But I do find it in line with his character and sense of duty to become king, doing whatever it takes to save the realm. And if next week's previews are any indication, it wasn't done for shock value, but to serve a purpose.

Well... So much for that.

It could actually be a gigantic spoiler. It's a quote from the books. I believe Lady Melisandre also said it in the show. It's what I believe comes next for one of our fallen comrades.

Wouldn't it be nice if they hinted at it even a little bit in the show?  Speaking of which, where is Ghost?

Wouldn't it be nice if they hinted at it even a little bit in the show?  Speaking of which, where is Ghost?

We got reminded that Ghost exists in the scene where Sam gets beat up... Which, in my opinion, was entirely for the purpose of reminding us the Jon had a wolf.

We got reminded that Ghost exists in the scene where Sam gets beat up... Which, in my opinion, was entirely for the purpose of reminding us the Jon had a wolf.

Ah yes, the scene where after the rapists were gone, Ghost just disappeared out of the room so they didn't have to animate him anymore.

All I could think was:  Why isn't Ghost with Jon?  Now that he's back at the wall it really needs answering. Why isn't Ghost with Jon? WHERE IS GHOST?

That really bothered me.  Varys really has no personal motivation or arc.  He is Tyrion's buddy.  That's his entire character.

Edited by qwksndmonster

... The biggest problem with the show is the lack of hope.  Stark supporters in the North? Cut.  Repercussions for the Bolton involvement in the Red Wedding? Cut. (Actually the Boltons in general have impervious plot armor)  The North Remembers? Hah. Lady Stoneheart? Cut. Nymeria's Wolfpack?  Who knows. ...

It's only the end of season five. There's much more story to tell, obviously. You've outlined a ton of it above. We won't know the final payoff until the show ends, but with all the hopelessness this season engendered, there's good reason to believe that it will prevail eventually given all the unresolved conflicts. No doubt it felt like blunt force trauma at times, but that makes the resolution all that much better, imo. 

Something tells me the writers are perfectly ok with generating this kind of criticism. They've got their hooks in pretty deep based on what I've read from some viewers. 

Stannis...yikes. That was uncomfortable. But I do find it in line with his character and sense of duty to become king, doing whatever it takes to save the realm. And if next week's previews are any indication, it wasn't done for shock value, but to serve a purpose.

Well... So much for that.

THIS.  Last night's episode revealed just how utterly pointless the whole "Stannis burned his own daughter" thing was.  They completely dismantled Stannis as a character.  He's the "finest military commander in the realm" (according to Littlefinger) but he didn't think his men might lose faith in him if they watch him burn his daughter alive?  Great.  And he's completely devoted to his daughter (against all odds....since she was a baby....) right up until the first sign of trouble with his march on Winterfell.  Then she has to die in the worst way possible.  And apparently his devotion to religion can go from middling to maniacal at a moment's notice as well.

But did it at least help the story?  Not really.  It just led to a very abrupt, underwhelming ending to a supposedly major plot line.  Oh well.  What was the takeaway even supposed to be from that?  Don't try to save the realm?  DO try to save the realm but without making sacrifices?  Protect your daughter or else you'll make inexplicable military decisions?  That Stannis is just an idiot?  Who knows?  (It can't be "Don't do awful things or you'll receive swift justice" because that's not this show.)

Seriously, how much more complicated is this story if he sacrifices his daughter by burning her at the stake and then gets *rewarded* for it?  

The Stannis thing also snapped into focus (again) how ridiculous Littlefinger dropping Sansa off to the Boltons was.  "I'm going to leave you with the guys who skin people and who murdered your brother and mother, but don't worry because Stannis."  And as silly as that was, the explanation is that it'd let the writers develop Sansa more.  Except she only developed from girl who gets beaten, to girl who gets raped, to girl who doesn't care if she lives.  

Good storytelling doesn't mean having characters make terrible decisions just because you need them to to keep the story moving.

As for the Sand Snakes, they finally killed Myrcella.....on a boat.....about 300 yards from the dock at Dorne.  And they used the same poison they already used on Jamie Lannister's bodyguard, which he'd probably recognize.  So I'm guessing Season 6 starts off with Jamie Lannister turning the boat around and going right back to Dorne since it's pretty obvious what just happened.  Why not just stab her on the dock if it's going to be that obvious?

It's only the end of season five. There's much more story to tell, obviously. You've outlined a ton of it above. We won't know the final payoff until the show ends, but with all the hopelessness this season engendered, there's good reason to believe that it will prevail eventually given all the unresolved conflicts. No doubt it felt like blunt force trauma at times, but that makes the resolution all that much better, imo. 

Something tells me the writers are perfectly ok with generating this kind of criticism. They've got their hooks in pretty deep based on what I've read from some viewers. 

George R. R. Martin has people hooked.  The TV show writers are just doing a clumsy job adapting great source material.

You guys are blowing it. The only reason I come to this thread is because My OCD makes me read every post on this board. The only thing that made it worthwhile was pictures of hot chicks. Now your talking about Wolfboy and character development?! Boooo!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.