A whole mess of stuff

Hoss

I don't have a problem with Ennis, besides the size and ability to stay healthy.

I see Stafford and Hodgson and I see the exact same player. I would rather they were playing for another team.

I'm sure it breeds confidence. It's what the Sabres are basing there off-season moves to date on. Bringing in physical players to raise the rosters physical confidence.

You realise you have no evidence to base that on? Hodgson was one of the better performing rookies last year. I can only summise your just assuming the worst for no real reason.

So what are you assuming injury wise, we lose most of our important dmen, like last year?

I'm assuming we have some injuries, but nowhere near last season. But you do have to consider Ennis and Hodgson are getting roles they've never had before (and I'm as bullish about them as anyone), so that has to discount the expectation a little. Let's put it this way: I think the Atlantic gets the 1 seed, the 4 seed, and the 5 seed. Frankly I think the Penguins, Flyers and Rangers are the best 3 teams in the conference...and even though the Flyers have struck out thus far, the growth of Schenn, Couturier and Read should keep them around the same level as last year. Pittsburgh has a healthy Crosby, so there's that. Next two seeds are division winners. If Rask fails to perform, it's possible the Sabres can overtake Boston IF Ennis and Hodgson excel (if they're only adequate, we don't get past Boston). Then I think there's about 6 teams that could finish 6-8, and I think the most likely scenario is the Sabres are in that mix.

Page 1: Sabres in for Ryan

Page 2: Trade Sekera

Page 3: Whinny little children

Page 4: Poking at Semin

Page 5: Flyers trading Couturier

Page 6: Stafford is a third line winger

Page 7: Enroth isn't unseating Miller

That pretty much covers every stupid BS topic this forum covers every day.

I'm assuming we have some injuries, but nowhere near last season. But you do have to consider Ennis and Hodgson are getting roles they've never had before (and I'm as bullish about them as anyone), so that has to discount the expectation a little. Let's put it this way: I think the Atlantic gets the 1 seed, the 4 seed, and the 5 seed. Frankly I think the Penguins, Flyers and Rangers are the best 3 teams in the conference...and even though the Flyers have struck out thus far, the growth of Schenn, Couturier and Read should keep them around the same level as last year. Pittsburgh has a healthy Crosby, so there's that. Next two seeds are division winners. If Rask fails to perform, it's possible the Sabres can overtake Boston IF Ennis and Hodgson excel (if they're only adequate, we don't get past Boston). Then I think there's about 6 teams that could finish 6-8, and I think the most likely scenario is the Sabres are in that mix.

I'm ignoring the regular season, It'll be tough but we'll be top 2 in our division imho, possibly even 2nd round of playoffs but I'm not thinking too much further without the key 'teamwork' ingredient.

I don't have a problem with Ennis, besides the size and ability to stay healthy.

I see Stafford and Hodgson and I see the exact same player. I would rather they were playing for another team.

I'm sure it breeds confidence. It's what the Sabres are basing there off-season moves to date on. Bringing in physical players to raise the rosters physical confidence.

Is there anybody you would keep? Since this entire team is so pathetic, how do you plan to trade any of them to acquire some talent? My god man, sometimes I think you just make this ###### up just to watch us dance......

You realise you have no evidence to base that on? Hodgson was one of the better performing rookies last year. I can only summise your just assuming the worst for no real reason.

Right, he's seen him play less than 20 games but he knows EXACTLY what Hodgson is all about. He was a -5 to finish the season so he needs to be traded.

Is there anybody you would keep? Since this entire team is so pathetic, how do you plan to trade any of them to acquire some talent? My god man, sometimes I think you just make this ###### up just to watch us dance......

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

Just using some basic logic here: If Ruff is as terrible as DeLuca says, and every player is as overrated/overpaid/terrible as DeLuca says, we'd have picked top-3 in the draft. We didn't. So some component or combination of components of DeLuca's reasoning is flat wrong.

So two out of how many people? Percentages aren't in your favor.

It all depends on the TWO! :devil:

So after 41 games in a Sabres uniform you're ready to proclaim Enroth a very good goaltender, and throw him the keys to the car. But after 20 games in a Sabres uniform, you're ready to proclaim Hodgson the same as Stafford, and throw him over the railing. Really?

As to the physical play--I completely agree that physical play opens things up. And I wish Stafford would be more physical--only I don't mean hitting, I mean actually battling on the boards and winning. But there's no way in hell you're going to convince me a few extra hits are more important for Ryan's production than playing significantly more minutes with Getzlaf and Perry.

I've seen a lot of positives from Enroth. The kid can play. He should be given a chance.

Hodgson? I've seen nothing to get excited about. Maybe the whole Gary Roberts thing will help the kid. Right now, there is no way in hell I would count on him to hold down one of the center positions.

Whoa there. It's way too soon to come to any conclusions on Hodgson. And I'd hope that his participation in Gary Roberts' training program, as well as Roberts' heated defense of Hodgson's character, might give you a bit of optimism on him (as it has for me).

Ya know, this all started with some ridiculous statement that this is a throw-away year. Does anybody else besides DeLuca honestly believe that? Even if DR doesn't make any more moves?

Well, here's the rub: I'm not sure there's much they can do. I love the defense and certainly think they're set between the pipes. I don't think there's enough scoring on the team. I think they may have gone too far in the other direction (grit)--here is where DeLuca and I will diverge, by the way. If they can sell a D or 2 for a scorer, even a wing instead of center, I'll feel better, but I'm not sure they can.

On paper this concern is entirely justified. I can, however, see a bunch of guys raising their offensive games over last year as a result of health (Myers, Ehrhoff, Ennis), experience in the league (Ennis again, Hodgson, Gerbe, Sekera, Myers again), experience with the Sabres (Hodgson again, Leino, Ehrhoff again) and general bounceback (Stafford, Leino again, Vanek, Gerbe).

Really, most of the guys (forwards and defense) on the team other than Pommer underperformed last year, especially in offensive production. Not all of them will raise their games, but I think more than a few of them will -- and if, say, 75% of them do, the Sabres could surprise a lot of people.

But I still crave Doan.

Whoa there. It's way too soon to come to any conclusions on Hodgson. And I'd hope that his participation in Gary Roberts' training program, as well as Roberts' heated defense of Hodgson's character, might give you a bit of optimism on him (as it has for me).

On paper this concern is entirely justified. I can, however, see a bunch of guys raising their offensive games over last year as a result of health (Myers, Ehrhoff, Ennis), experience in the league (Ennis again, Hodgson, Gerbe, Sekera, Myers again), experience with the Sabres (Hodgson again, Leino, Ehrhoff again) and general bounceback (Stafford, Leino again, Vanek, Gerbe).

Really, most of the guys (forwards and defense) on the team other than Pommer underperformed last year, especially in offensive production. Not all of them will raise their games, but I think more than a few of them will -- and if, say, 75% of them do, the Sabres could surprise a lot of people.

But I still crave Doan.

I agree with most of that. In fact I'd really like to see what this current team could do without making any more moves. Not sure if it's worth overpaying for any of the couple of players who are left just to fill a void. I guess it depends on what we'd have to give up. I don't want to overpay is all. Equal trade I'm good with. But I'd like to see a surprise trade involving perhaps a center who nobody thought was on the market over overpaying for another forward.

Well, here's the rub: I'm not sure there's much they can do. I love the defense and certainly think they're set between the pipes. I don't think there's enough scoring on the team. I think they may have gone too far in the other direction (grit)--here is where DeLuca and I will diverge, by the way. If they can sell a D or 2 for a scorer, even a wing instead of center, I'll feel better, but I'm not sure they can.

Does that get them to contender status or just into the playoffs?

I'll make this simple.

Obtaining two top six forwards gets them into the playoffs.

To be a Cup Contender is more of a long range plan that does not include Miller, Vanek or Poninville remaining on the team. I would keep going with the what the Sabres have started this off-season. Eliminating the "Core" and inundating the franchise with size and toughness. Changing the culture of the franchise is step one. I would target specific styles of players in the draft, trades and free-agency. I would emphasize speed size and toughness. I want team that players will want to play for if for no other reason, they don't want to play against us.

I would also only allow Heavy Metal music to be played at the arena and the locker room. Not that hair band crap, good Heavy Metal.

I'll make this simple.

To be a Cup Contender is more of a long range plan that does not include Miller, Vanek or Poninville remaining on the team. I would keep going with the what the Sabres have started this off-season. Eliminating the "Core" and inundating the franchise with size and toughness. Changing the culture of the franchise is step one. I would target specific styles of players in the draft, trades and free-agency. I would emphasize speed size and toughness. I want team that players will want to play for if for no other reason, they don't want to play against us.

I would also only allow Heavy Metal music to be played at the arena and the locker room. Not that hair band crap, good Heavy Metal.

I think they absolutely can do this with Vanek, Pominville, and Miller remaining on the team and I hope they do. I like those guys as players, and from what I can tell, as people.

I think 2 top-6 forwards makes them a very strong contender if the centers pan out. Actually, if the centers pan out, maybe just adding one gets them there. A lot of my skepticism with the current roster disappears if Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigs all turn out to be best-case scenarios.

I'll make this simple.

Ok, whats your ideal lineup, realistic. And define 'Heavy Metal', what bands.

Also whats your issue with Pominville, our current best 2 way player and leading scorer. Probably one of the most consistant players in the league.

I think they absolutely can do this with Vanek, Pominville, and Miller remaining on the team and I hope they do. I like those guys as players, and from what I can tell, as people.

I think 2 top-6 forwards makes them a very strong contender if the centers pan out. Actually, if the centers pan out, maybe just adding one gets them there. A lot of my skepticism with the current roster disappears if Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigs all turn out to be best-case scenarios.

If they all turn out to be best case scenarios (unlikely) the team is a Cup contender. Which is obviously great.

If they all turn out to be worst case scenarios (unlikely) the team is a high lottery team. Which isn't good, but has an upside.

If one turns out to be best case scenarios (likely) the team is a middle of the road team. Which is not good. At all.

If the Sabres make no more moves this summer, I'll be disappointed, but I'll still expect them to make the playoffs.

My opinion is likely to change if I hear Michael Jackson playing in the locker room again after a win though. That's the kind of music you hear from a team that lets Lucic run over its goalie and doesn't lift a finger in response.

If they all turn out to be best case scenarios (unlikely) the team is a Cup contender. Which is obviously great.

If they all turn out to be worst case scenarios (unlikely) the team is a high lottery team. Which isn't good, but has an upside.

If one turns out to be best case scenarios (likely) the team is a middle of the road team. Which is not good. At all.

If we make the playoffs, get to the 2nd round and learn a lot in the process I'm happy. Next year is the cup year, not this one imho.

Ok, whats your ideal lineup, realistic. And define 'Heavy Metal', what bands.

Also whats your issue with Pominville, our current best 2 way player and leading scorer. Probably one of the most consistant players in the league.

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Metallica

Motor Head

Megadeath

Slayer

AC/DC

Pominville? Cost and contract status. He's a decent two way forward, he just wouldn't fit my player profile i would use to build a roster.

I tossed around many roster ideas of the years. If I were building the team I would try to get Hiller and Ryan out of Anaheim. I would trade Vanek for a young player and possibly picks and prospects. i would move Pominville just to get his numbers off the cap, I should be able to get a decent prospect and a pick for him.

I would be in full rebuild mode.

While I agree with you about the tiresome agenda promotion, this is over the line.

honestly dont care if its over the line. Hearing his ruff must go line nonstop makes the line pointless to me. Also deluca im american I spel how I wants ter spell lol

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Metallica

Motor Head

Megadeath

Slayer

AC/DC

Pominville? Cost and contract status. He's a decent two way forward, he just wouldn't fit my player profile i would use to build a roster.

I tossed around many roster ideas of the years. If I were building the team I would try to get Hiller and Ryan out of Anaheim. I would trade Vanek for a young player and possibly picks and prospects. i would move Pominville just to get his numbers off the cap, I should be able to get a decent prospect and a pick for him.

Why Hiller out of interest?

Thank god for that, your HM list suits mine. I've known people to put in stuff like Soil, Cannibal Corpse, Dreamtheatre and other odd bands. Just wanted to clear that up hehe.

honestly dont care if its over the line. Hearing his ruff must go line nonstop makes the line pointless to me. Also deluca im american I spel how I wants ter spell lol

You just gave me a great idea. I can solve the gun problem in this country. Each application for a gun license must be filled out in person and if a word is misspelled that person is disqualied from owning a gun for 4 years. Freaking genius. Thanks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Metallica

Motor Head

Megadeath

Slayer

AC/DC

Oh great, so with your ideas we'd all be sitting around for 5 years missing the playoffs while these guys build an identity because the average age would be 19.2.

Sorry, this team has potential. Needs some help, but has potential. The Sabres can easily be a competitive team long term, I'm not keen on sitting around for 5 years while we start over. Our GM is only on his second year without a leash. I think he's done a great job so far.

Why Hiller out of interest?

Thank god for that, your HM list suits mine. I've known people to put in stuff like Soil, Cannibal Corpse, Dreamtheatre and other odd bands. Just wanted to clear that up hehe.

I think a rotation of Hiller/Enroth would work. When Hiller's contract is up in two years we should know exactly what we have in Enroth.

Oh great, so with your ideas we'd all be sitting around for 5 years missing the playoffs while these guys build an identity because the average age would be 19.2.

They'll be no further away from being a contender then they are now.

I think a rotation of Hiller/Enroth would work. When Hiller's contract is up in two years we should know exactly what we have in Enroth.

Right, entire team without our vets, mostly rookies, no experience.......... not to mention they'd all be coming into contract years at the same time so DR would have to trade half of them because there's no way to afford each players' 2nd contract at the same time. All that is just as close to being contenders as this years team?

That complete rebuild process........ how's that working out for you New York and Edmonton?

The same applies to Miller though, what makes Hiller better, his had health issues but is a good goalie, I just don't see the advantage.

Archived