(OT) Shawinigan Trashes Memorial Cup

shrader

Selected Stanley Cup misadventures:

• In 1905, a member of the Ottawa Senators tried to drop kick the Cup across the Rideau Canal. The attempt failed, and the Cup was not retrieved until the next day; luckily the canal was still frozen over.
  • In 1962, the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup. During a party after the win, the trophy was dropped in a bonfire and badly damaged. It was repaired at the expense of the team.
  • In 1964, Red Kelly of the Toronto Maple Leafs posed for a photo with his infant son sitting in the Cup, only to find the child had urinated in it. Kelly was quoted years later as saying it has always since made him laugh to see players drinking out of the Cup.
  • A week after the ...Detroit team won the Cup, Kris Draper's newborne daughter defecated in the Cup as she sat in it. The Cup was thoroughly cleaned and Draper reportedly drank from it that same day.

First off, This is a great story.

Second....I noticed this post was labeled Off-topic but it is hockey related so why is it OT? Is anything not Sabres related OT? Is it anything not NHL related?

Just wondering is all...

I start threads so rarely, but I went with OT since its not NHL or Sabre prospect related.

Dillon Donnelly's explanation, via Turcotte's story in la Nouvelliste, sheds a bit more light on the accident:

"I feel real bad, but it was an accident. The Cup was on a table outside at my place at a gathering with friends after dinner with my family. I wanted to pick it up, there was a chair behind me that made me lose my balance and I dropped it off the terrace onto cement," said Donnelly, who admit he had been drinking that night.

"There wasn't anything intentional. It's a Cup that honours the memory of war veterans, and my great uncle served for Canada. It's not my style to break things for fun. It was an accident. My fall meant that something very important got very damaged. But it was already in a bad place before we got it."

Dillon Donnelly's explanation, via Turcotte's story in la Nouvelliste, sheds a bit more light on the accident:

"I feel real bad, but it was an accident. The Cup was on a table outside at my place at a gathering with friends after dinner with my family. I wanted to pick it up, there was a chair behind me that made me lose my balance and I dropped it off the terrace onto cement," said Donnelly, who admit he had been drinking that night.

"There wasn't anything intentional. It's a Cup that honours the memory of war veterans, and my great uncle served for Canada. It's not my style to break things for fun. It was an accident. My fall meant that something very important got very damaged. But it was already in a bad place before we got it."

Reminds me of a certain team throwing the Stanley Cup into a swimming pool and the result being less than good....

And um that bullet hole? Well when it went down, we could see it was hurt, like real bad, so we did the humane thing and put it down... I feel bad about that, but what else could we do?

Archived