Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

What?

No love for the Confederations Cup?

FIFA is a master of marketing. They have hyped this up as a lead up to the World Cup. One year away now.

I admit that I know nothing of the workings of this tournament.

What this tournament tells me is that Brazil is ready to play the World Cup, but the country is nowhere near ready to host. The stadiums etc. are not ready and millions of people are demonstrating about something, or other, and it's pretty ugly.

In WC 2014 qualifying news ...

The USA looks good in the final stages of group play.

Iraq was down 2-0 with ~20 mins to go against England. They scored one to make it close, then another during the 94th minute to tie it up. A lot of fight in the Iraq squad, that's for sure.

Was this a *friendly*, or what?

Can't find it anywhere.

Just found it my friend.

The FIFA U20 World Cup being played now in Turkey.

Man, this FIFA has countless tournaments being played at any one time.

Spain being Spain in the Confederations Cup.

Into the final against Brazil after beating Italy 7 - 6 on penalties in the semi.

I'm calling it now ... Barca, I mean Spain, will win Brazil 2014.

I am not so sure, the German teams showed a pretty convincing blue print in the Champions League for how to exploit the Spanish possession game. I am sure many teams have taken note. I predict the WC will be uncomfortable for Spain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The off season seems real short in European football.

The EPL has started up this weekend. I believe the same is true for the other big European Football leagues.

Some surprises ... AV over Arsenal, for one, IMO.

Some non-surprises ... Man U. being Man U. even without Sir A. F.

Man City plays their first match tomorrow.

Hey 11,

A good start by your little green and yellow birds.

I'm not paying to close attention yet. More interested in September and October when huge WC 2014 qualifying matches are being played in Europe.

GO BiH!!

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Does anyone have an opinion on EPL on NBC, rather than Fox? I didn't feel the need to watch, because I just knew ManUnited would win easily, because that's what I expect from them every game. Rooney asked for better talent on the team, or players with more ambition. They go out and get Van Persie, who finishes top scorer in the Prem. Time to step it up, Rooney. There is a lot of competition for places on the bench. I've seen Owen, Larsson, and Van Nistelrooy sit there too. I would like to see Rooney play for Arsenal, rather than sit on the bench at Manchester United.

Does anyone have an opinion on EPL on NBC, rather than Fox? I didn't feel the need to watch, because I just knew ManUnited would win easily, because that's what I expect from them every game. Rooney asked for better talent on the team, or players with more ambition. They go out and get Van Persie, who finishes top scorer in the Prem. Time to step it up, Rooney. There is a lot of competition for places on the bench. I've seen Owen, Larsson, and Van Nistelrooy sit there too. I would like to see Rooney play for Arsenal, rather than sit on the bench at Manchester United.

I love the fact that NBC is televising every single game. For fans of teams without the words "Manchester," "Arsenal," or "Chelsea" in their names, like me, it means we get to see more of our teams.

I love the fact that NBC is televising every single game. For fans of teams without the words "Manchester," "Arsenal," or "Chelsea" in their names, like me, it means we get to see more of our teams.

:flirt:

It's good news for you guys.

Still a Man City guy until they tear my heart out again, or until Džeko transfers someplace (lots of rumours coming out of Italy and Spain), whichever comes first.

He is going to arsenal i hear.

I also heard that. A good choice if he stays in the EPL.

=====

And we all think that NFL / NHL / MLB teams are the play things of the rich.

Football teams are the play things of the really rich ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/08/28/sp-gareth-bale-tottenham-real-madrid.html

This is going to be a huge transfer fee, not to mention the contract that Bale will command from RM. Sure he is hurt and can't play now ... :rolleyes:

My guys from Man City better smarten up when they start to go up against good sides, or this will turn into another billion $ fiasco of an EPL season.

They fired an excellent manager last season and the results are pretty much the same. Stop me if you have heard that one before ... sound familiar?

A bit of revenge for the boys, first Super Cup win for Bayern great game bye the way. FU Smelcee

http://www.bundeslig.../0000267446.php

:w00t:

A great game, indeed, but why do these always come down to penalties. I'm a traditional guy, but I'm starting to think that there has to be a better way. At least in major tournaments and / or championships.