Round Three, Pick # 73: Justin Kea

spndnchz

I'm all for toughness and fighting but does a kid who scores 3 goals and loses more than half his fights deserve to go 73rd overall?

To Compare:

Andrew Peters 14 goals in his best season in juniors

Paul Gaustad 36 goals in his best season in juniors

I'm all for toughness and fighting but does a kid who scores 3 goals and loses more than half his fights deserve to go 73rd overall?

To Compare:

I didn't page you to this thread for your hockey insight ...

... scroll up a few posts ... :thumbsup: .

Kea is Travis Turnbull 2.0 in a few years.

Well, a bigger, suckier version. On a side note Turnbull turns 26 in a couple of weeks. I guess he's not exactly a prospect anymore. Although, Scott Nichol didn't get to the show until he was 27 so anything is possible.

To Compare:

Gaustad had his big goal-scoring season *after* he was drafted though. I think he scored 6 goals the year before he was drafted (2000).

This probably wouldn't have been my pick here.

To Compare:

He's still got two years of juniors left to play. When Gaustad scored those goals he was 2 years older than Kea

DEVINE SAYS: “If you look at his stats, they weren’t very good during the regular season. But (Saginaw) fired their coach during the season, and now he’s playing for Greg Gilbert, a guy Darcy and I both know. (Gilbert) thinks that he’ll be a good third-liner center in the NHL; a better-skating Paul Gaustad.”

At this stage, I'll take it. Seeing as how Buffalo didn't have a 4th round selection, they probably picked him early, anticipating he wouldn't be there in the 5th round. I'm not too concerned with his win-loss record. He can learn to fight over time. What he can't "learn" is the willingness to drop the mitts. I'll take that any day.

Archived