Does Size Really Matter? Is this Regier's Thinking?

Swedesessed

The quote I posted was from an actual Kings player after game three. It absolutely proves a point. We are told all the time that changing the coach would not make a bit of difference to the Sabres (ironically, we are often told they would end up worse), yet in two of the last four seasons, changing coaches has made a huge difference to a team.

And just to reiterate, that's coming from an actual NHL player, someone who acually plays on one of those NHL teams.

Basically we have seen that Darcy Regier holds onto Lindy Ruff because of Al Arbour.....much like it would be if Peter would hold onto the next random guy with a scraggly beard because of Christ.

Our organization has been duped into following a once in a lifetime model.

PS....my sincere appology to both Christ and Peter. Rooster crowing and all......Drury and Briere just may have been as big of a mistake. I am willing to forgive now. Darcy had 1,000 shares in the Facebook IPO and is sad.

The quote I posted was from an actual Kings player after game three. It absolutely proves a point. We are told all the time that changing the coach would not make a bit of difference to the Sabres (ironically, we are often told they would end up worse), yet in two of the last four seasons, changing coaches has made a huge difference to a team.

And just to reiterate, that's coming from an actual NHL player, someone who acually plays on one of those NHL teams.

You misunderstand. Changing our coach at this point is probably necessary but changing the coach does not gaurentee you anything and phd was saying that you can't use the statistics because its a correlation not cause and effect. This makes those stats garbage. There has been some 170 coaching changes since Ruff was hired and out of those only 14 coaches have won the cup. This neither proves you must change your coach or that you must keep a coach. ppl are looking at this wrong. Stanley cups are the outlier, not coaches or to quote a movie "Huh I never thought to consider space as the thing that was moving."

14 Winners divided by 170 coaches = 0.082 is your liklihood as a coach to win (this is not counting coaches who have coached in 2 or more places.)

As for Sutter in LA, sometimes it is obvious that a team is simply not performing under the current coaching style. The change worked but I would bet LA won't repeat and so if we use the stats and the logic being applied here Sutter is bad and should be fired, but there are more factors at work. The fact that Ruff coached teams have missed the playoffs almost constantly over the last few years more than winning cup makes me feel as though unless this core group is changed or ruff is changed this team will continually hover around 10-7th place and never make it further than rnd1-2.

On a side note all but 1 of the top 10 centers in the NHL were drafted in the top 10 of their drafts. The last 1st round center the sabres got was zagrapan who was a total washout. The only team to win a cup without a star center (Datsyuk and Zetterberg count but are outliers) was the Bruins and they technically had Seguin so... Darcy needs to trade up and get Galchenyuk or Faksa IMPO or it will be another draft of wasted chances.

You misunderstand. Changing our coach at this point is probably necessary but changing the coach does not gaurentee you anything and phd was saying that you can't use the statistics because its a correlation not cause and effect. This makes those stats garbage. There has been some 170 coaching changes since Ruff was hired and out of those only 14 coaches have won the cup. This neither proves you must change your coach or that you must keep a coach. ppl are looking at this wrong. Stanley cups are the outlier, not coaches or to quote a movie "Huh I never thought to consider space as the thing that was moving."

14 Winners divided by 170 coaches = 0.082 is your liklihood as a coach to win (this is not counting coaches who have coached in 2 or more places.)

As for Sutter in LA, sometimes it is obvious that a team is simply not performing under the current coaching style. The change worked but I would bet LA won't repeat and so if we use the stats and the logic being applied here Sutter is bad and should be fired, but there are more factors at work. The fact that Ruff coached teams have missed the playoffs almost constantly over the last few years more than winning cup makes me feel as though unless this core group is changed or ruff is changed this team will continually hover around 10-7th place and never make it further than rnd1-2.

On a side note all but 1 of the top 10 centers in the NHL were drafted in the top 10 of their drafts. The last 1st round center the sabres got was zagrapan who was a total washout. The only team to win a cup without a star center (Datsyuk and Zetterberg count but are outliers) was the Bruins and they technically had Seguin so... Darcy needs to trade up and get Galchenyuk or Faksa IMPO or it will be another draft of wasted chances.

Great post.

Great post.

It really was a great post. I didn't misunderstand at all and I completely agree. My only point is that while changing choaches doesn't guarantee anything, sometimes not changing coaches absolutely does.

It really was a great post. I didn't misunderstand at all and I completely agree. My only point is that while changing choaches doesn't guarantee anything, sometimes not changing coaches absolutely does.

it's the "fire him because keeping him offers no upside, and firing him might offer an upside" argument. I'm starting to come around to it.

And the year before the Bruins were the kind of team the fans wanted the Sabres to be, and before that it was the Blackhawks, and the Pens, etc. etc..........

'10 Blackhawks -

Forwards:

Sharp 6'1" 200lbs 25-35 goal scorer 70 hit avg

Toews 6'2" 208lbs 30 goal scorer 60 hit avg

Byfuglien 6'4" 255lbs 20 goal scorer 150 hit avg

Hossa 6'1" 210lbs 25 goal scorer 55 hit avg

Ladd 6'2" 205lbs 25 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Kopecky 6'3" 205lbs 15 goal scorer 65 hit avg

Brouwer 6'2" 215lbs 20 goal scorer 230 hit avg

Kane 5'11" 180lbs 25 goal scorer 20 hit avg

Defensive Stud:

Seabrook 6'3" 215lbs 40 points 210 hit avg

'11 Boston:

Forwards:

Horton 6'2" 230lbs 25 goal scorer 50 hit avg

Lucic 6'3" 225lbs 25-30 goal scorer 170 hit avg

Ryder 6' 192lbs 20 goal scorer 85 hit avg

Recchi 5'10" 195lbs 15 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Kelley 6' 200lbs 15 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Kerjci 6' 180lbs 20 goal scorer 70 hit avg

Bergeron 6'2" 195lbs 20 goal scorer 55 hit avg

Marchand 5'9" 180lbs 25 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Defense stud:

Chara 6'9" 255lbs 50 point scorer 155 hit avg

'12 Kings:

Forwards:

Kopitar 6'3" 220lbs 30 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Brown 6' 205lbs 25 goal scorer 290 hit avg

Penner 6'4" 245lbs 20 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Richards 5'11" 195 lbs 25 goal scorer 120 hit avg

Stoll 6' 215lbs 15 goal scorer 175 hit avg

Carter 6'3" 200lbs 30 goal scorer 50 hit avg

King 6'3" 225 lbs projected 15 goals 115 hits

Williams 6'1" 195lbs 20 goals 40 hit avg

Defense stud:

Doughty 6'1" 220lbs 45pts 140 hit avg

Your Buffalo Sabres:

Forwards:

Pominville 6' 186lbs 25 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Vanek 6'2" 207lbs 30 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Roy 5'9" 188lbs 20 goal scorer 30 hit avg

Stafford 6'1" 215lbs 25 goal scorer 70 hit avg

Ennis 5'9' 163lbs 20 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Lieno 6'1" 190lbs 15 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Hodgson 6' 188lbs 20 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Foligno 6'3" 222lbs projected 30 goal scorer 220 hits

Defense stud:

Myers 6'8" 222lbs 40 points 100 hit avg

Anybody notice a big difference? A few big differences?

Chicago....8 forwards who could put in at least 15 goals......every single one of them was over 6' and 200lbs, and averages over 50 hits, except Kane.

LA......8 forwards who could put in at least 15 goals.....every single one of them is over 6' and 200 lbs...except Richards who misses by an inch and 5lbs and Williams who misses by 5 lbs. 6 of the 8 average over 80 hits and 4 of 8 are over 115 hits

Boston......8 forwards who could put in 15 goals.....6 of 8 average over 70 hits, and the two that don't are both over 6'.

Buffalo......8 forwards who can put in 15 goals.......6 of the 8 average 40 hits or less....the only forward who averages over 70 hits has only played a handful of games. 6 of the 8 are 6' and 3 over 200lbs.

Of the defensive studs with size.....all have similar offenseive potential.....but the bulkier stars for Boston/Chi/LA hit between 40-100% more than Myers on average.

I'm sure a few posters will attempt to provide Darcynomics analysis to invalidate the logical conclusion that can be drawn here.....but it is simple......If you are big.....or you play big....and have a decent amount of talent.....you can win the whole thing.

2 quibbles. 1: Keith is Chicago's stud (didn't he win the Norris that year?) and he's only 6'0 196. 2: You projected Foligno for 30 goals? You do have some optimism in you! ;)

Once again it comes down to balance. You need some blend of size and skill to win (and luck :P ). Size with no skill, and you'll suck. Skill without size, and you'll suck (or won't win a Cup, anyway). Aside from down the middle I don't think the Sabres' problem is size...it's that some of our guys with bigger measurables play small, which is why I'm so down on a guy like Adam...big body, but plays like a buttercup.

60% of the time it works every time.

'10 Blackhawks -

<clip>

'11 Boston:

<clip>

'12 Kings:

<clip>

Your Buffalo Sabres:

<c.lip>

<c.lip>

Of the defensive studs with size.....all have similar offenseive potential.....but the bulkier stars for Boston/Chi/LA hit between 40-100% more than Myers on average.

I'm sure a few posters will attempt to provide Darcynomics analysis to invalidate the logical conclusion that can be drawn here.....but it is simple......If you are big.....or you play big....and have a decent amount of talent.....you can win the whole thing.

It's extremely difficult watching all these Kings highlights and not think, "Dammit ... why can't this be the Sabres?"

Then I come in here and read this post, and I think, "Dammit ... dammit dammit dammit."

I was excited for next season. Now ... I'm more interested to see what happens on July 1. I doubt they'll bring in the size they need.

'10 Blackhawks -

Forwards:

Sharp 6'1" 200lbs 25-35 goal scorer 70 hit avg

Toews 6'2" 208lbs 30 goal scorer 60 hit avg

Byfuglien 6'4" 255lbs 20 goal scorer 150 hit avg

Hossa 6'1" 210lbs 25 goal scorer 55 hit avg

Ladd 6'2" 205lbs 25 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Kopecky 6'3" 205lbs 15 goal scorer 65 hit avg

Brouwer 6'2" 215lbs 20 goal scorer 230 hit avg

Kane 5'11" 180lbs 25 goal scorer 20 hit avg

Defensive Stud:

Seabrook 6'3" 215lbs 40 points 210 hit avg

'11 Boston:

Forwards:

Horton 6'2" 230lbs 25 goal scorer 50 hit avg

Lucic 6'3" 225lbs 25-30 goal scorer 170 hit avg

Ryder 6' 192lbs 20 goal scorer 85 hit avg

Recchi 5'10" 195lbs 15 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Kelley 6' 200lbs 15 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Kerjci 6' 180lbs 20 goal scorer 70 hit avg

Bergeron 6'2" 195lbs 20 goal scorer 55 hit avg

Marchand 5'9" 180lbs 25 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Defense stud:

Chara 6'9" 255lbs 50 point scorer 155 hit avg

'12 Kings:

Forwards:

Kopitar 6'3" 220lbs 30 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Brown 6' 205lbs 25 goal scorer 290 hit avg

Penner 6'4" 245lbs 20 goal scorer 80 hit avg

Richards 5'11" 195 lbs 25 goal scorer 120 hit avg

Stoll 6' 215lbs 15 goal scorer 175 hit avg

Carter 6'3" 200lbs 30 goal scorer 50 hit avg

King 6'3" 225 lbs projected 15 goals 115 hits

Williams 6'1" 195lbs 20 goals 40 hit avg

Defense stud:

Doughty 6'1" 220lbs 45pts 140 hit avg

Your Buffalo Sabres:

Forwards:

Pominville 6' 186lbs 25 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Vanek 6'2" 207lbs 30 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Roy 5'9" 188lbs 20 goal scorer 30 hit avg

Stafford 6'1" 215lbs 25 goal scorer 70 hit avg

Ennis 5'9' 163lbs 20 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Lieno 6'1" 190lbs 15 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Hodgson 6' 188lbs 20 goal scorer 40 hit avg

Foligno 6'3" 222lbs projected 30 goal scorer 220 hits

Defense stud:

Myers 6'8" 222lbs 40 points 100 hit avg

Chicago....8 forwards who could put in at least 15 goals......every single one of them was over 6' and 200lbs, and averages over 50 hits, except Kane.

LA......8 forwards who could put in at least 15 goals.....every single one of them is over 6' and 200 lbs...except Richards who misses by an inch and 5lbs and Williams who misses by 5 lbs. 6 of the 8 average over 80 hits and 4 of 8 are over 115 hits

Boston......8 forwards who could put in 15 goals.....6 of 8 average over 70 hits, and the two that don't are both over 6'.

Buffalo......8 forwards who can put in 15 goals.......6 of the 8 average 40 hits or less....the only forward who averages over 70 hits has only played a handful of games. 6 of the 8 are 6' and 3 over 200lbs.

Great analysis. Send this post to Darcy asap.

Anyone hear the rumour that Jersey claims bankruptcy if and when they are eliminated ?

Great oversight Mr Bettman. 2 of your top 4 teams are in bankruptcy.

I love how Phoenix is pretty much buying the team for $20 million from the snippets I've seen. Have to look closer, but wow.

Great analysis. Send this post to Darcy asap.

Darcy doesn't take my calls.....or 24 GM's calls for that matter

It's extremely difficult watching all these Kings highlights and not think, "Dammit ... why can't this be the Sabres?"

Then I come in here and read this post, and I think, "Dammit ... dammit dammit dammit."

I was excited for next season. Now ... I'm more interested to see what happens on July 1. I doubt they'll bring in the size they need.

I'm working hard to prove my points. You can see it with your eyes....feel it in your heart.....and now trying to show it in the numbers.

Not disagreeing with the point you are making, but if you have some time on your hands could you provide the same analysis for the 2009 Penquins.

Give me a minute..or 15

2 quibbles. 1: Keith is Chicago's stud (didn't he win the Norris that year?) and he's only 6'0 196. 2: You projected Foligno for 30 goals? You do have some optimism in you! ;)

Once again it comes down to balance. You need some blend of size and skill to win (and luck :P ). Size with no skill, and you'll suck. Skill without size, and you'll suck (or won't win a Cup, anyway). Aside from down the middle I don't think the Sabres' problem is size...it's that some of our guys with bigger measurables play small, which is why I'm so down on a guy like Adam...big body, but plays like a buttercup.

Balance....yes......a roster of small forwards who hit half as much than the top teams.....no.

Foligno....I was trying to be fair. I also rounded up for all the Sabres hits. I was just trying to get a feel for everyone in the quickest amount of time possible.

Defense....yes...Keith is stud. I was trying to show the physical force on D with big offense as well and the difference. I didn't break down the D or goalies because Miller fits well with the goalie crew and the Sabres D is pretty balanced.

I agree that Sabres big bodies play small which is why I put that on Ruff. Been saying it for 5 years......name a player that can bang and get you 15 goals. Dumont? Briere if you count fiesty? That's why the city loves Foligno.....thirsty for his game.

'09 Pit: Have to use hits from last 3 years

Malkin 6'3" 195lbs 35 goals 50 hits

Guerin 6'2" 220lbs 20 goals 80 hits

Kunitz 6' 195lbs 20 goals 150 hits

Kennedy 5'11" 185lbs 15 goals 80 hits

Staal 6'4" 22lbs 20 goals 120 hits

Cooke 5'11" 205lbs 15 goals 180 hits

Dupuis 6'1" 205lbs 20 goals 100 hits

Crosby 5'11" 200lbs 30-50 goals 50 hits

Defense:

Letang 6' 200lbs 40 points 125 hits

Here you go again.....1 guy under 195lbs.....every top forward hits at least 50 times....and when you take the top 2 of Malkin/Crosby out it is 80 hits min.

Really.......please......

'08 RedWings again...tough to find hits past 3 yrs

Datsyuk 5'11" 195lbs 25 goals 80 hits

Franzen 6'3" 220lbs 30 goals 110 hits

Zetterberg 5'11" 195lbs 25 goals 40 hits

Hudler 5'9" 175lbs 20 goals 40 hits

Holmstrom 6' 202lbs 15 goals 70 hits

Samuelsson 6'2" 215lbs 20 goals 70 hits

Cleary 6' 210lbs 15 goals 110 hits

Flipulla 6' 190lbs 15 goals 40 hits

Defense

Kronwall 6' 190lbs 40 pts 120 hits

This is the closest to the Sabres build you will find, but again...an outlier. Still 5 of top 8 scorers have over 70 hits. 1 player under 5'11" 195lbs. A balanced defense, yet still a physical force on D who can net some points.

'07 Anaheim.....

Getzlaff 6'4" 220lbs 20 goals 190 hits

Perry 6'3" 210lbs 35 golas 75 hits

Kunitz 6' 195lbs 20 goals 150 hits

Penner 6'4" 245lbs 15 goals 90 hits

Selanne 6' 200lbs 25 goals 20 hits

That's it for the scorers....however rest of forwards are

Pahlsson 145 hits

May 120 hits

Marchant 120 hits

Moen 140 hits

Niedermayer 60 hits

Defense

Pronger 6'6" 215lbs 45 points 90 hits (suprisingly low?)

Again though....large men who can score 15+ goals and use their size to hit 2x as much as Buffalo skill

Thanks chz for consolidating. I'd move the stuff myself if I could.

I really think Buffalo is fine in net and on defense. Chicago and Detroit had deeper talented D, but if you field Regehr/McNabb/Weber and Myers/Ehrhoff/Leopold/Sekera.....that's a nice mix of offense, size and grit. You just need Weber to find his consistancy to be a 3rd pairing and then you could move Sekera or Leopold. I am not opposed to building from the back, out, IF......you understand we are way too soft up front. All that really needs to be done to compete is to replace 3 up front with bigger, grittier guys.....and let them press and cycle more. It's just so dumbfounding that the Sabres can't see it.

The Sabres top 3 centers average 5'10" 179lbs 20 goals and 35 hits (Roy,Hodg,Enns)

LA 6'2" 212lbs 25 goals 100 hits (Kop,Stoll,Cart)

BOS 6' 185lbs 22 goals 72 hits (Krej/March/Berg)

CHI 6'2" 205lbs 23 goals 60 hits (Tws,Bolnd,Kop)

PIT 6'2" 208lbs 30 goals 73 hits (Crosb/Stall/Malk)

DET 5'11" 192lbs 17 goals 60 hits (Zet,Flip,Draper)

ANA 6'1" 204lbs 16 goals 120 hits (Getz,McDonld,Phalsn)

So when you average the top3 centers the past 6 Cup winners

6'1" 201lbs 22 goals 81 hits

Sabres

5'10" 179lbs 20 goals 35 hits

Now you can play around a bit and include Gaustad in there which helps size and hits....but lowers offense, but Boyes or Hecht could just as easily be inserted. I did the Sabres a favor by including Foligno in the top lines going forward where in reality it was one of those 3 in his spot.

I don't think you need a team full of goons, or a team full of giants.....but it seems fairly obvious that the best teams over the recent years have many of their top forwards using their body at a much higher rate than the Sabres, and just possibly their size helps them during a grueling 2 month grind of playing every other night. Remember.....these are REGULAR SEASON numbers......you really don't want to see playoff numbers, and quite frankly, 13 games over 5 years isn't a great sample size. That in itself should tell you something is broken.

I don't think anyone needs convincing of these facts. Most teams build from the backend first. This is just what DR has been doing since Pegs came in. Let's face it, before that it was status quo, break even, don't let the fans know it's broken thinking.

We've got Miller

We've got an Ehrhoff, a Regehr, a Myers, what looks to be a Sekera.

From there centers are brought in. Ennis, Hodgson, (Roy, cringe)

A couple decent wingers and a Foligno.

Big guys are a dime a dozen, good big guys are tougher to get.

I think the foundation has been built and a few more pieces need to be in and out.

The teams a changin'.

I don't think anyone needs convincing of these facts. Most teams build from the backend first. This is just what DR has been doing since Pegs came in. Let's face it, before that it was status quo, break even, don't let the fans know it's broken thinking.

We've got Miller

I think the foundation has been built and a few more pieces need to be in and out.

The teams a changin'.

Ah-yup. Just gotta have a little faith.

Instead of just bitching and moaning as some say I do, I have put a great deal of effort into showing what I believe are the reasons the Sabres are wallowing in mediocrity and can't be taken seriously as a Championship contender.

1) No goaltender under 200lbs has received a workload approaching 70 games and gone on to win the Cup in the modern era (1980+). At the same time, goalies that are relatively small have had their worst playoff runs after their biggest regular season workloads, yet have won multiple Cups when limited to low 60's or under.

2) One coach since 1950 has taken more than 5 years with a team to win a Stanley Cup with their team. That person was Darcy Regier's mentor. The average firing of coaches that LOST the Stanley Cup in the years since Lindy Ruff lost his happens 1 1/2 years after their loss.

3) Teams that have won the Stanley Cup over the past 6 years are bigger, just as talented, and hit at TWICE the rate as the Buffalo Sabres when it comes to the top 3 lines of forwards.

I am sure some will claim all of this means nothing. To me, it shows multiple facets of illogical behavior from this franchise that allow me to sit here and "proclaim" there is no way they will win with the current group and their philosophy. It's the GM, the Coach, and the players that all fail to meet major standards. When you add up the odds against overcoming all 3 concrete examples.....to me I feel I have just as great of a chance to get struck by lightning and a bus at the same time while making out with Natalie Portman.

If anyone wants to attempt to discredit the work and numbers here, please come with a compelling 3 examples of your own of what this franchise does correctly at such a rare strike rate that leads you to believe they have a leg up on the rest of the league.

Thank you again for your time.

We've got Miller

The teams a changin'.

2006 walkies

Dumont 6'1" 205lbs 20 goals 35 hits

Grier 6'1" 227lbs 13 goal average 100 hits

Pyatt 6'4" 230lbs 15 goals 130 hits

You could have signed all 3 for the price of Tim Connolly.....who was mercifully left out of the entire discussion!

That is why I don't believe a word of it. Darcy has an image in his mind, and it doesn't work.

I don't hate Cody Hodgson, I hate the fact that we traded away something that is in very short supply around these parts to bring in a player similar to everything else on the team. It confirms to me again that Darcy doesn't understand.

I don't hate Cody Hodgson, I hate the fact that we traded away something that is in very short supply around these parts to bring in a player similar to everything else on the team. It confirms to me again that Darcy doesn't understand.

Kassian could be the next Cam Neeley. However, Vancouver also picked up Pyatt and Bernier thinking they might be getting the next Cam Neeley. Kassian was a lot to give up, no doubt. But it is so hard to find consistency from his type of player, esp. in the early years.

Buffalo definitely needed centers. I think Cody Hodgson is a career 1 or 2 liner.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson is still valuable in landing someone else. He could still be moved yet, and I think he's a more valuable piece in the off-season trade market than Kassian.

Here's a thought: what if the NHL reverts again to post-lockout officiating? What if Darcy builds a bigger team only to have the rules strengthened again during the upcoming offseason and we wind up being victims of abandoning the run and gun style in favor of a more physical game?

Talk about continuously getting caught changing moulds.

Archived