Does Size Really Matter? Is this Regier's Thinking?

Swedesessed

My favorite part about all the Hodgson talk is that everyone is crowning him because he is going to work out with Gary Roberts.......the very same Gary Roberts that Darcy declined to trade for in '07 who probably with one more power forward...could have brought a Cup here.

Roberts had a no-trade, and a cap hit. And there were plenty of rumors Darcy was trying to land him, so declined is probably not the right word.

Better move than landing Zubrus? I'm not sure. Zubrus played big minutes against Jagr to win the Rangers series.

Roberts at that point, just wasn't skating well enough to play lock-down minutes.

My favorite part about all the Hodgson talk is that everyone is crowning him because he is going to work out with Gary Roberts.......the very same Gary Roberts that Darcy declined to trade for in '07 who probably with one more power forward...could have brought a Cup here.

For some reason I see Hodgson and Miller hitting it off at some point.

I think you're reaching a lil bit on that one

I think you're reaching a lil bit on that one

I'm just confused as to why it's some great thing. The guys people mention as working with him are already great. I wonder how many other people are on his client list? If I go drop $5k, I'm sure I could go there for a few weeks too. It's nice to see the kid commited to an offseason program, but Bucky Brooks running hills with Jerry Rice and parachutes attached to their ###### doesn't quite mean a hall of fame career is around the corner.

After 23 seconds of reasearch, I answered my own question. Why yes.....I can train with Gary Roberts AND Cody Hodgson......AND get my car washed and drycleaning done.

http://www.fitnessinstitute.com/gary-roberts-hpc/executive-programs/

Championship!

I'm just confused as to why it's some great thing. The guys people mention as working with him are already great. I wonder how many other people are on his client list? If I go drop $5k, I'm sure I could go there for a few weeks too. It's nice to see the kid commited to an offseason program, but Bucky Brooks running hills with Jerry Rice and parachutes attached to their ###### doesn't quite mean a hall of fame career is around the corner.

After 23 seconds of reasearch, I answered my own question. Why yes.....I can train with Gary Roberts AND Cody Hodgson......AND get my car washed and drycleaning done.

http://www.fitnessin...utive-programs/

Championship!

There was an article, and I will find it, that looked at the change in the players Gary has trained. Kind of a before and after analysis. Stay tuned.

I'm just confused as to why it's some great thing.

How can it be bad? And you are right, just because they are in Jedi training doesn't make them Obi-wan. But they will still be Jedi. :lol:

Mostly I think it is cool how Roberts has reinvented himself as a Guru, while knowing the rigors of the NHL.

http://www.fitnessinstitute.com/gary-roberts-hpc/executive-programs/

Championship!

I think when you have an understanding of what your body needs to function its best, you understand the benefits of a program like Roberts'. There's also a mental aspect to it, in that it takes a lot of discipline to follow his instructions and stick to it during the regular season. The kind of player that successfully buys into and sticks with the exercise/diet regimen that Roberts lays out is the kind of player you want on your team.

It's a lot better than him wandering Chippewa all summer, that's for sure. I just hope all those alphalpha cleansings help him to figure out how to play the body in the defensive zone instead of waiving his stick at guys and how to drive for loose pucks instead of relying on his good vision and coasting to open spots. He's a work in progress.

We were also told what a force Stafford would become because he was dedicated offseason and doing hot yoga. I'm sure Ryan Miller follows some sort of similar program as well. I'm really not looking for zen at this point, I'm looking for men.

It's extremely difficult watching all these Kings highlights and not think, "Dammit ... why can't this be the Sabres?"

Then I come in here and read this post, and I think, "Dammit ... dammit dammit dammit."

I was excited for next season. Now ... I'm more interested to see what happens on July 1. I doubt they'll bring in the size they need.

Hence my avatar

Yeah....I've seen those names mentioned, but on Roberts website it said 25 players participated last offseason alone. I keep seeing the same 4 or 5 names thrown around. How many Matt Ellises and Alex Sulzers are also working with him?

I'd be more interested in his success rate with first round draft picks specifically. Guys who were universally noted for potential prior to his program.

It's a lot better than him wandering Chippewa all summer, that's for sure. I just hope all those alphalpha cleansings help him to figure out how to play the body in the defensive zone instead of waiving his stick at guys and how to drive for loose pucks instead of relying on his good vision and coasting to open spots. He's a work in progress.

We were also told what a force Stafford would become because he was dedicated offseason and doing hot yoga. I'm sure Ryan Miller follows some sort of similar program as well. I'm really not looking for zen at this point, I'm looking for men.

Isn't that Roberts' program then? Making men out of boys?

And knock things like yoga and whatever all you want, but it really is great for body and mind. Look what yoga did for Tim Thomas. And did Stafford really have that bad of a season? I hate the guy but I'll admit he played well down the stretch, especially on a line with Foligno.

Training is different for everyone. You have to keep an open mind.

Isn't that Roberts' program then? Making men out of boys?

And knock things like yoga and whatever all you want, but it really is great for body and mind. Look what yoga did for Tim Thomas. And did Stafford really have that bad of a season? I hate the guy but I'll admit he played well down the stretch, especially on a line with Foligno.

Training is different for everyone. You have to keep an open mind.

I'm not knocking yoga. Whatever works for you.

I remember all the talk too about the fancy new locker room and the kitchen and dining room where players can have their egg white omlets and all those sorts of goodies prepared on the spot for them. I'm just saying.....you can have a 215 cholesterol, 15% body fat, and be a man.........or a 150 cholesterol, 7% body fat and be a man.......but going from one set of numbers to the other doesn't change your basic makeup. If you are a puss.....you are just a puss who will live an extra 5-10 years.

Obviously working with Roberts doesn't guarantee a damn thing. But as others have alluded to, it's the approach and mind set that at least signals positive things. At the very least it's a sign that Hodgson takes improvement and fitness very seriously. Will it pan out? Will it make him into a clear #1 center? Of course not, but if he gets to the level many think he's capable of getting to, the offseason training will be a contributing factor.

Yea, Stafford is in great shape and it doesn't always translate on the ice. But I think a guy like Vanek could improve his game if he were more dedicated to strength and conditioning (no, I'm not saying he's totally out of shape....but if you've seen the locker room interviews, there's no way you're going to convince me he's in peak physical condition).

CODY HODGSON IS NOT SMALL. I'm going on vacation, enjoy the bitching and moaning.

With your picture, I'd say that too!!!!!! I do love Ennis. But if you want him on your team as a center, you need three men centering the other lines. We have no men centering our lines. Have a great vacation.

And yes, unless one wears blinders, or watches no one but our local team, size is huge. It shouldn't be, but under the current NHL interpretation of rules, you would have to be an idiot, and/or Darcy Regier, not to realize that fact. It has been like that for all but 1-2 of the last 15 years. Please, someone, tell DR, cuz he is still operating in that one to two year time warp.

Miller does need a replacement for Gaustad, someone to bake pumpkin seed bread with.

And yes, unless one wears blinders, or watches no one but our local team, size is huge. It shouldn't be, but under the current NHL interpretation of rules, you would have to be an idiot, and/or Darcy Regier, not to realize that fact. It has been like that for all but 1-2 of the last 15 years. Please, someone, tell DR, cuz he is still operating in that one to two year time warp.

Size is not a mutually exclusive attribute. Size, talent and heart is the combination you look for in a player. A player with an abundance of all three is probably HOF bound. If one area is lacking, it needs to be made up by the other two. If a player is small, his talent and heart need to be off the charts. An example of this is Gerbe, he seems to have the heart, but his talent level doesn't make up for the lack of size. That's why he is a 4th liner at best. Than you have Staford who has size, decent talent, but his lack of heart drags his overall value down.

Size is not a mutually exclusive attribute. Size, talent and heart is the combination you look for in a player. A player with an abundance of all three is probably HOF bound. If one area is lacking, it needs to be made up by the other two. If a player is small, his talent and heart need to be off the charts. An example of this is Gerbe, he seems to have the heart, but his talent level doesn't make up for the lack of size. That's why he is a 4th liner at best. Than you have Staford who has size, decent talent, but his lack of heart drags his overall value down.

It's nice to have some of those future HOF triple threats, but barring that, the Wizard of Oz lines work pretty well. Stafford lacks heart, Ennis lacks size and Foligno lacks talent (well, he has some, but if he's short on one of the three, it's raw talent), but they cover each other pretty well.

Astute!

Archived