Season Ticket Prices Increasing

Eleven

and stop telling me to shut up, thats disrespectful, if im doing something wrong, ask me nicely to stop and i will.

I'm telling you both. Check that little PM thingy at the top.

Now, who's got seasons and who's renewing?

By my count pretty cheap entertainment.

Our prices here are definitely more blue-collar than the rest of the league, if we're only including teams that actually sell out games. I actually don't see there being any problem with the increase. I'd expect renewal rates to be about the same as last year.

Of course all that matters to me is that the guy I buy individual game tickets from renews his pack. ;)

More than the tix going up, I'm surprised they are putting an end to the great inter-period smoke walk.

I once told a friend once I'd step outside with him while he grabbed a smoke and I ended up in the

Sports Fan's version of the Baatan Death March. My lungs are still clearing out.

Why are season tickets increasing? I thought terry was going to drill more oil if he needed money. Maybe he will attach $20 bills on the back of each ticket.

Well that oil drilling money is actually going towards his private army that he'll eventually need to control the riots in the streets of Buffalo when the economy collapses. Buffalo will be the last bastion of freedom in a post apocalyptic world.

Terry run Bartertown.

More than the tix going up, I'm surprised they are putting an end to the great inter-period smoke walk.

I once told a friend once I'd step outside with him while he grabbed a smoke and I ended up in the

Sports Fan's version of the Baatan Death March. My lungs are still clearing out.

People will just have to come to Amerks games where they'll still allow it.

Got um and will renew. I went through the waiting list thing once. I was number 2456 on list after 1975 season and didn't get them until 1981. My son would shoot me if I gave them up.

Why are season tickets increasing? I thought terry was going to drill more oil if he needed money. Maybe he will attach $20 bills on the back of each ticket.

I think, maybe, if you go back to the first page of the thread (and even that depends on your settings, I'm on 40 or 50 per page), you'll see the theory that the Sabs had to do it to keep in the NHL revenue-sharing range.

Even if that's the case, and it well may be, sports tix are ridiculous. I pay $51 or so per seat, which is nutty enough (I share the seats). Then the tix come in the mail, and they have face values of $70 - $210. Also nuts. And there's no way I ever can sell off seats for those numbers on nights I can't go, of course, because everyone in the world is onto the fact that face-value tix prices in the 100s are completely inflated. When I can't go, I usually sell at a small loss.

All of that said, it's still completely crazy that tickets are so expensive. It really is. Think about (1) how badly we need our entertainers (not that badly!), and then think (2) about how much they are paid, and THEN, think (3) about what you pay to see them. And I mean entertainers regardless of genre. It really is something else.

I'm not screwing around, here. It's not that long ago that buying a great book and a sixer was a night of fun for $15. It's not long ago that a date was a beer and a day at the National Zoo. I remember being a broke 20-something so, so well. And I don't think it's right that tix cost what they do, especially with the disparity between season tix price and face price.

I'm kind of fortunate in some ways, I can afford the increase, and I'll pay it. But it's still BS. If I were lucky enough to have kids, I'd be paying for music and gymnastics and soccer, instead, but I'm not that fortunate in other ways, and I have none. My many friends who do have families? Priced out of games--even for the odd guys' night out, they're not able to get a set of four or six. A lot of good fans are getting priced out of a lot of games. And I don't think for a minute that the Sabres are leading the charge; they are following it. But still, it's BS.

Wow, I've exploded all over the place on this one, no? Anyway. Go Sabs. I'll be there next year. But I'll be pissed about entertainment ticket prices, including hockey, nevertheless.

I think, maybe, if you go back to the first page of the thread (and even that depends on your settings, I'm on 40 or 50 per page), you'll see the theory that the Sabs had to do it to keep in the NHL revenue-sharing range.

Even if that's the case, and it well may be, sports tix are ridiculous. I pay $51 or so per seat, which is nutty enough (I share the seats). Then the tix come in the mail, and they have face values of $70 - $210. Also nuts. And there's no way I ever can sell off seats for those numbers on nights I can't go, of course, because everyone in the world is onto the fact that face-value tix prices in the 100s are completely inflated. When I can't go, I usually sell at a small loss.

All of that said, it's still completely crazy that tickets are so expensive. It really is. Think about (1) how badly we need our entertainers (not that badly!), and then think (2) about how much they are paid, and THEN, think (3) about what you pay to see them. And I mean entertainers regardless of genre. It really is something else.

I'm not screwing around, here. It's not that long ago that buying a great book and a sixer was a night of fun for $15. It's not long ago that a date was a beer and a day at the National Zoo. I remember being a broke 20-something so, so well. And I don't think it's right that tix cost what they do, especially with the disparity between season tix price and face price.

I'm kind of fortunate in some ways, I can afford the increase, and I'll pay it. But it's still BS. If I were lucky enough to have kids, I'd be paying for music and gymnastics and soccer, instead, but I'm not that fortunate in other ways, and I have none. My many friends who do have families? Priced out of games--even for the odd guys' night out, they're not able to get a set of four or six. A lot of good fans are getting priced out of a lot of games. And I don't think for a minute that the Sabres are leading the charge; they are following it. But still, it's BS.

Wow, I've exploded all over the place on this one, no? Anyway. Go Sabs. I'll be there next year. But I'll be pissed about entertainment ticket prices, including hockey, nevertheless.

I won't go to major league sporting events because I don't get enough value out of the prices. But really, I can't get upset about it. It is mostly demand driven. People still snap the tix up. I know if I have a product in high demand I am going to charge the highest price that sells me out of my product. Your product is priced too high only when you have unsold product.

Eleven, you're definitely not wrong. The only consolation I take is that watching games at home or a friend's house is so much better now with the advent of HD and huge TVs. I'm a total geek and love watching things that the camera doesn't catch in sports, but for most people I think watching at home in HD is at least as good, if not better, than the entire hassle of going out anyway (think about it: getting a driver, however far you live away, getting food, dealing with any potentially obnoxious people, etc etc etc). I personally know some die-hards who want to go to games but just can't afford it anymore, but at the same time, I really think a lot of people would be just as happy sitting at home (this would be a very interesting research topic...wonder if any scientific studies have polled people about it?).

And honestly I find movies to be even more ridiculous, especially with things going 3D and charging more for that. I want to go to a prime time show and it costs $20 for me and a date? Good lord....I can just get Netflix or Blockbuster for $10 a month and watch as many movies as I want. I can probably count on one hand the number of movies in the past 2 years I've really cared about seeing in a theater....again, HD and home theater systems change the dynamic.

TrueBlue--exactly, and thanks for providing the examples for non-sports entertainment. We pay our entertainers, and the producers of those entertainers (whether they be movie producers, team owners, band managers, whatever), WAY too much. Are they highly skilled? Definitely. Amazingly skilled, in some cases. But still, the compensation is ridiculous.

Weave, supply-and-demand, I know, I know.

Archived