Oh my gosh -- Vanek was injured

Robviously

I didn't see anyone link this, so sorry if this is a re-post:

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Vanek-finally-admits-to-his-injuries/12796308

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- Thomas Vanek has been skirting this issue since the calendar turned 2012. Was he playing hurt? The truth is finally out. Vanek in his blog said, “My chest’s been hurting since January, I have an ankle-sprain and the shoulder’s also not completely a hundred percent. I’m just glad that I don’t need any surgery, but I do need a few weeks away from the ice to let all those little nagging injuries heal themselves.”

This should be an enormous surprise to fans who are complete morons. Anyone else could tell something was wrong.

Anyways, now we can get back to talking about how Vanek is lazy and doesn't care and absolutely, positively needs to go. Seriously, we're paying him $7,000,000 a year and that's enough money to ensure that he should still be the best player in the league even if he's got a bad shoulder, bad ankle, and bad chest. Pro athletes barely use those body parts anyway. :rolleyes:

I don't get why he keeps getting ragged on for making $7 million per. He didn't control that amount one bit, he didn't haggle, negotiate, hold out for more or anything, he was given that. Is it too much, probably, but he had no control over that. Why so much hate on the guy?

I don't get why he keeps getting ragged on for making $7 million per. He didn't control that amount one bit, he didn't haggle, negotiate, hold out for more or anything, he was given that. Is it too much, probably, but he had no control over that. Why so much hate on the guy?

If only we resigned briere, we could've let Edmonton sign him to the offer sheet. That would've given us a few things

1. A superstar player in Briere

2. The draft picks from Edmonton

3. Extra cap room

Then we wouldn't have to worry about our center problem for 5 more years like we have done.

Vaneks salary reminds us of that dark day in july.

Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda

If only we resigned briere, we could've let Edmonton sign him to the offer sheet. That would've given us a few things

3. Extra cap room

Then we wouldn't have to worry about our center problem for 5 more years like we have done.

Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda

As much as we lament the loss of Briere, has he really set the league on fire with Philly?

NHL Totals 2007-08 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 79 31 41 72 68 -22 17 9 7 16 20 2008-09 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 29 11 14 25 26 -1 6 1 3 4 8 2008-09 Philadelphia Phantoms AHL 3 1 4 5 2 4 -- -- -- -- -- 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 75 26 27 53 71 -2 23 12 18 30 18 2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 77 34 34 68 87 20 11 7 2 9 14 2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 70 16 33 49 69 5

i figured something was wrong with vanek. he is our best player. so those wanting to get rid of him are looney.

the problem with the sabres is that we have no GREAT players.not a single one.sounds simple and obvious but

apparently it isn't to those in control of personnel.

briere was our last great player.and he was barely in that category.-and before that it was one of the greatest of them all in hasek.

we made the finals with perrault,hasek,.....and made the semis with briere.somehow lafontaine couldn't get us there.

point is we need someone who is just head and shoulders better than MOST people he goes up against. someone the other team sweats about and focuses on too much-freeing up the rest of the supporting cast.

Vanek is very good not great.Miller is great in spurts but certainly not overall. Tyler Myers has been a disappointment--altho he is young and good.

The rest of the team ranges from the mediocre to the solid to the good .

So instead of continually playing it safe Regier needs to take a risk on someone in the draft.

3. Extra cap room

Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda

Maybe so, however still not Vanek's fault at all he is getting $7 mil per.

As much as we lament the loss of Briere, has he really set the league on fire with Philly?

NHL Totals 2007-08 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 79 31 41 72 68 -22 17 9 7 16 20 2008-09 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 29 11 14 25 26 -1 6 1 3 4 8 2008-09 Philadelphia Phantoms AHL 3 1 4 5 2 4 -- -- -- -- -- 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 75 26 27 53 71 -2 23 12 18 30 18 2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 77 34 34 68 87 20 11 7 2 9 14 2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 70 16 33 49 69 5

he did very well--even as he was getting older---but he was a demon in the playoffs.Nobody on our team could stay with him last year in the playoffs.He was quicker, faster ,smarter and more instinctive than any of our players.

http://wgr550.com/Sa...juries/12796308

This should be an enormous surprise to fans who are complete morons. Anyone else could tell something was wrong.

Anyways, now we can get back to talking about how Vanek is lazy and doesn't care and absolutely, positively needs to go. Seriously, we're paying him $7,000,000 a year and that's enough money to ensure that he should still be the best player in the league even if he's got a bad shoulder, bad ankle, and bad chest. Pro athletes barely use those body parts anyway. :rolleyes:

All I ever did was question why he has to stand in the crease and get crosschecked to pieces on every PP.

Waste of player.

Who else would I want to do it? Answer - Not my 7 mill. guy, plain and simple, it's not like the PP is on fire with him in there anyway.

ESPECIALLY if it means him playing injured for 40 games every year.

Such a surprise! His a good team player but I can't help but feel he should have taken two weeks off in January. Still, we don't think that way when we're down.

I'm happy to have him on this team, even at $7mill. Can't say the same for Regier, Ruff, Roy, Leopold and a few others.

http://wgr550.com/Sa...juries/12796308

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21155-locker-cleanout-day/page__view__findpost__p__387388

So, he was injured, and completely ineffective. Good thing he was still going out there every night and being a defensive liability and not producing offensively. Good thing he took ice time away from others who could have been more effective while he was injured.

Good thing the coach kept playing him when he knew he was injured. So rather than take a few weeks to heal up and be effective he decided to stretch it out and suck? Outstanding, that's a team first mentality if I ever saw one.

I hate that mentality in sports, it's not just a Vanek thing. Although in this case it annoys me a bit more because it is a Vanek thing.

Ugh, sorry about that. I didn't see that in the other thread and really thought this belonged on the board somewhere.

So, he was injured, and completely ineffective. Good thing he was still going out there every night and being a defensive liability and not producing offensively. Good thing he took ice time away from others who could have been more effective while he was injured.

Who did you want to give his ice time to?

Good thing the coach kept playing him when he knew he was injured. So rather than take a few weeks to heal up and be effective he decided to stretch it out and suck? Outstanding, that's a team first mentality if I ever saw one.

I hate that mentality in sports, it's not just a Vanek thing. Although in this case it annoys me a bit more because it is a Vanek thing.

It's not just a sports thing, how many of us have worked while feeling down and out? I know I have because I make damn sure I do everything I can to go to work. You can argue it's sense with logic but all Vanek did is do what most of us would do, do our best to be in the game; even if that means working through multiple injuries.

Maybe so, however still not Vanek's fault at all he is getting $7 mil per.

I marvel at those posters that have to repeat it over and over again.Millers 31 million, Vaneks 6.5 million. They suffer from an Obama class warfare kinda personality disorder . I guess the argument plays well with certain types of people who for one reason or another are driven by envy and need to displace their problems in life by blaming someone else .When you find that mindset in sports the probability is high you will also find it in their personal lives. It plays right into they are not contributing their fair share given how much they make? Some people just need envy and hate in their lives to feel good about themselves.hey will tell you it is about value within the cap, but thats just cover.

It must be their fault. They make the most money?? It is probably cathartic for them to say it over and over again and again and again and again. It is a mantra.. Repeat it enough times and it becomes truth. It is all Millers fault or Vaneks fault or or or or.

Depends how you look at it. I believe he has as many goals in the playoffs since he left as the entire Buffalo Sabres team has manged in the playoffs since he left and will of course surpass them this year. That is a mind blowing stat to me.

I miss Briere far more than I would ever miss Vanek. And I like Vanek and have defended him for a long time.

I marvel at those posters that have to repeat it over and over again.Millers 31 million, Vaneks 6.5 million. They suffer from an Obama class warfare kinda personality disorder . I guess the argument plays well with certain types of personalities who for one reason or another are driven by envy and need to displace their failure in life by blaming someone else.

It must be their fault. They make the most money?? It is probably cathartic for them to say it over and over again and again and again and again.

You couldn't be reading those folks more wrongly. It has everything to do with opportunity lost due to those salary numbers and nearly nothing to do with envy. Every guy on that team that is making more than they are worth is a guy who is preventing another player from coming in to better the team. It is a salary cap thing.

I suppose it's just easier to dismiss it as envy though. :rolleyes:

Depends how you look at it. I believe he has as many goals in the playoffs since he left as the entire Buffalo Sabres team has manged in the playoffs since he left and will of course surpass them this year. That is a mind blowing stat to me.

I miss Briere far more than I would ever miss Vanek. And I like Vanek and have defended him for a long time.

I still root for Danny. Even though he is on the phlyers. He was my favorite. I'm gonna duck now so I don't get hit by sharp objects thrown by other posters. Go Briere!

Why do you think he was on the ice.

Why do you think he was on the ice with a third line center and an AHL winger?

Why was Miller back in net so soon? (some could argue way to soon)

You couldn't be reading those folks more wrongly. It has everything to do with opportunity lost due to those salary numbers and nearly nothing to do with envy. Every guy on that team that is making more than they are worth is a guy who is preventing another player from coming in to better the team. It is a salary cap thing.

I suppose it's just easier to dismiss it as envy though. :rolleyes:

Need i go back and bring up the posts where certain forum members have said it more than 25 times .? Would you agree that it is rarely presented as a cap room agrument? To your value question...If you put Miller and Vanek on waivers are they Sabres next season? How many teams do you think would be in that mix at their current salaries? At the end of the process would you have 13-14 mil in cap room? What players are they preventing from coming in? Do you think cap room is preventing darcy from acquiring an elite player or players to replace them?

Summary: The they are eating up cap room argument is bogus Weave...They could move them in a heartbeat if the price was right.

Such a surprise! His a good team player but I can't help but feel he should have taken two weeks off in January. Still, we don't think that way when we're down.

I'm happy to have him on this team, even at $7mill. Can't say the same for Regier, Ruff, Roy, Leopold and a few others.

Again, I don't get the issue with Leopold. He has 10 goals this year, tied for around 14th in the league, Myers has 8, and the rest of the dmen have a combined 11. He's a + player, plays both the PP and PK and is not a defensive liability. Is only 31, makes only $3 mill per and seems to like the area. What gives? I'm thinking he is one of the last dmen on the team i'm getting rid of.

Need i go back and bring up the posts where certain forum members have said it more than 25 times .?

Hey, it's your time. Who am I to tell you how to spend it?

To your value question...If you puit Miller and Vanek on waivers are they Sabres next season? How many teams do you think would be in that mix at their current salaries?

I have no idea. I suspect there would be interest around the league though. It is a strawman argument to the point though. There always seems to be markets for overpaid players.

At the end of the process would you have 13-14 mil in cap room?

Easy math. I don't think I need to do it for you.

What players are they preventing from coming in?

About $13-14 mil worth. ;)

Do you think cap room is preventing darcy from acquiring an elite player or players to replace them?

Yes. We were right up against the ceiling last season and after raises to the Tylers we will be short on room again this season.

You are being argumentive. Of course guys like Vanek will get sniffs around the league. That really wasn't what was being discussed so I am not going to speak of it further. The problem is, if Vanek gets a contract under more "normal" circumstnaces he is probably a $5M player right now. And yes, that extra cap room may very well allow the team to upgrade another position.

This should be a good offseason for the team. IMO the most glaring overpayments were Goose, Hecht, Boyes, and Vanek. Up until this season I would have including Pommer but I'll back off from that one for now. Goose is gone, Hecht and Boyes are leaving. And if Vanek can play a full season like he did until January I doubt anyone says a word about his salary cap hit. Stafford still has to prove that he's worth his deal. We'll see about that one. And there are smaller overpayments for McCormick and Gerbe as well.

My point is, most of us bitched about those contracts because of opportunity lost, not jealousy. If Vanek, Goose, Hecht, Boyes, and Vanek (add McC and Gerbe too) are all paid closer to what we percieved the market to naturally be for them the team would have had another $5-6M maybe a bit more in cap room last season. Does that get an elite player? Depends I suppose, but noone was proposing that directly so I don't know why you went there. That $5-6M sure could have been used to upgrade a position or two though.

I think he plays better against us then he does against any other team, for obvious reasons.........I wonder how bad he would have been roasted on these boards this season for his 16 goals he scored this year.

You are being argumentive. Of course guys like Vanek will get sniffs around the league. That really wasn't what was being discussed so I am not going to speak of it further. The problem is, if Vanek gets a contract under more "normal" circumstnaces he is probably a $5M player right now. And yes, that extra cap room may very well allow the team to upgrade another position.

This should be a good offseason for the team. IMO the most glaring overpayments were Goose, Hecht, Boyes, and Vanek. Up until this season I would have including Pommer but I'll back off from that one for now. Goose is gone, Hecht and Boyes are leaving. And if Vanek can play a full season like he did until January I doubt anyone says a word about his salary cap hit. Stafford still has to prove that he's worth his deal. We'll see about that one. And there are smaller overpayments for McCormick and Gerbe as well.

My point is, most of us bitched about those contracts because of opportunity lost, not jealousy. If Vanek, Goose, Hecht, Boyes, and Vanek (add McC and Gerbe too) are all paid closer to what we percieved the market to naturally be for them the team would have had another $5-6M maybe a bit more in cap room last season. Does that get an elite player? Depends I suppose, but noone was proposing that directly so I don't know why you went there. That $5-6M sure could have been used to upgrade a position or two though.

That was one of my point Weave . . The market for both Miller and Vanek is what they are paid now. In this market they are not overpaid. More than a few teams would pay their current salaries if they were put on waivers. (Hypothesis)..

If Darcy wanted to spend 14 mil on "other player upgrades", he need only do two things. 1. Put Vanek and Miller on waivers (making many here happy and probably them too) 2. Find players willing to come to Buffalo. He will probably will have to trade for them because i do not see impact players coming here freely from the open market..

Need more room put Roy on waivers>..Only twenty teams would claim him.. The problem is that DArcy will want more than their cap hits because he knows he cannot replace them easily and will have to trade to upgrade and he will need picks to do that. The problem is and never has been cap room.It is what Darcy needs to get above salary.Thats what gets harped on here that is so silly..

Put Vanek on the Boston ,Ranger or Detroit, one lines.. Do you think he would be overpaid at the end of his first year..Miller and Vanek never reached their potential here because Miller never played behind a Jersey quality d and Vanek never had a playmaking ONE center with size,a big winger and a pp to play on after Briere and others left.You got a glimpse of what it should have been when he scored 40

That was one of my points Weave . I will walk you through slowly. The market for both Miller and Vanek is what they are paid now. In this market they are not overpaid. Other teams would pay their salaries if they were put on waivers. (Hypothesis)..

If Darcy wants to spend 14 mil on other player upgrades, he need only do two things. 1. Put Vanek and Miller on waivers (making many here happy and probably them too) 2. Find players willing to come to Buffalo. He will probably have to trade for them or way overpay in the open market..

Need more room put Roy on waivers>..

Umm.... OK?

Archived