Locker cleanout day

spndnchz

From Vanek's blog about why he's not playing for the National team:

"There are too many little injuries that hamper me. My chest’s been hurting since January, I have an ankle-sprain and the shoulder’s also not completely a hundred percent. I’m just glad that I don’t need any surgery, but I do need a few weeks away from the ice to let all those little nagging injuries heal themselves."

Thank you for posting this. It confirms what a lot of us have suspected. Vanek has not blamed injuries at all for his lull in production in the 2nd half but it's clearly a major factor.

Sulzer said he will not play for germany at the WC. Once again only said due to personal reasons. Nothing new on what exactly happened. Guess we gotta wait and see what happens. Wondering if Pegula did visit him and his wife as well.

From Vanek's blog about why he's not playing for the National team:

"There are too many little injuries that hamper me. My chest’s been hurting since January, I have an ankle-sprain and the shoulder’s also not completely a hundred percent. I’m just glad that I don’t need any surgery, but I do need a few weeks away from the ice to let all those little nagging injuries heal themselves."

Thank you for posting this. It confirms what a lot of us have suspected. Vanek has not blamed injuries at all for his lull in production in the 2nd half but it's clearly a major factor.

This also confirms what many believed anyway: we desperately need a RW for Vanek's line who can set up in front of the net so Vanek doesn't have to. Seemingly every year Vanek gets hurt down the stretch....I'd imagine if he didn't have to stand in front of the net every night, he'd be healthier at the end of the year.

This also confirms what many believed anyway: we desperately need a RW for Vanek's line who can set up in front of the net so Vanek doesn't have to. Seemingly every year Vanek gets hurt down the stretch....I'd imagine if he didn't have to stand in front of the net every night, he'd be healthier at the end of the year.

That player should be....wait for it...wait for it...

Drew Stafford.

Sulzer said he will not play for germany at the WC. Once again only said due to personal reasons. Nothing new on what exactly happened. Guess we gotta wait and see what happens. Wondering if Pegula did visit him and his wife as well.

Quite honestly, no we don't have to wait and see. If they've been labeled as personal reasons, they should remain just that, personal. It had to be very bad to leave when he did, so I hope the media members can respect his privacy and not pry into things. He shouldn't even be asked at this point. If he wants the emergency to be made public, I hope it is done 100% on his terms.

I too was hoping to hear an update on Sulzer. Hopefully, no news is good news.

Amen. The Sabres are handcuffed at a lot of forward spots because they don't have guys that fit certain roles. Leino and arguably Boyes had terrible seasons in large part because they were miscast out of necessity. For the record, regardless of his struggles, I like Leino but do not see any room for Boyes.

Quite honestly, no we don't have to wait and see. If they've been labeled as personal reasons, they should remain just that, personal. It had to be very bad to leave when he did, so I hope the media members can respect his privacy and not pry into things. He shouldn't even be asked at this point. If he wants the emergency to be made public, I hope it is done 100% on his terms.

well yeah "wait and see" included that it's up to him when and if he wants to tell to public what happened.

Am I alone in thinking the Sabres could have really used a player like Jochen Hecht this year?

Does anyone think he has chance to be back - in the Sabres, or the NHL?

When he played he was very important and I think he is a leader on this team. Not a vocal one but by example. I hope the Sabres give him a 1y contract around the 1.5 mio mark... If people would stop seeing him as a scorer they would see how valuable he can be.

Am I alone in thinking the Sabres could have really used a player like Jochen Hecht this year?

Does anyone think he has chance to be back - in the Sabres, or the NHL?

You're not alone in this thinking. Hecht provided a great two-way player to stabilize the lineup.

I don't think he'll be back next year. I just don't see it. But he'll be missed.

Preach it. Right wing for Vanek's line ought to be priority 1 I would think. And the grittier the better.

That player should be....wait for it...wait for it...

Drew Stafford.

If Darcy can't trade him; I agree that Stafford needs to be the one standing in front of the net with Vanek along the boards or at the point on the PP. Then on the other PP unit you can put Foligno at the net. Actually maybe put Vanek on with Foligno. I'll let Lindy switch those up. :)

Jordin Tootoo?

No thanks. Granted, some people think he might be a great addition to the lineup because of his toughness, but I think he's too much of a loose cannon.

I'd want somebody more talented than Tootoo anyway. If we were going to use Tootoo, may as well keep Tropp opposite Vanek.

I'd want somebody more talented than Tootoo anyway. If we were going to use Tootoo, may as well keep Tropp opposite Vanek.

I agree, the suggestion is a tongue in cheek reply to the statement about getting a RW 'the grittier the better'. I'd say Tootoo is the grittiest UFA right wing this off season. I don't think he'd be a great fit for Vanek's line. I'd like Derpstin Brown better, but I'm not sure the Kings would bite on the deals I see people proposing here. (Two first rounders and a prospect).

What? And take Drew away from his spot with Ennis and Foligno??? I was actually going to say that I thought Tropp had something good going there on the RW with Vanek and Hodgson.

I just figured letting Drew be the one gettin hit by pucks and cross checked all the time would be cathartic. :P

I agree, the suggestion is a tongue in cheek reply to the statement about getting a RW 'the grittier the better'. I'd say Tootoo is the grittiest UFA right wing this off season. I don't think he'd be a great fit for Vanek's line. I'd like Derpstin Brown better, but I'm not sure the Kings would bite on the deals I see people proposing here. (Two first rounders and a prospect).

I'm not sure either, but when it broke that he was available at the deadline, the reported asking price was a top-4 defenseman, good prospect, and 1st round pick. It was McKenzie and Dreger reporting this too, so it wasn't online BS. Obviously that price could get bid up since I'm sure there would be substantial interest in Brown...but it should be significantly cheaper than trying to get Nash.

Does LA have cap space for vanek, provided brown leaves?

Then again, I would like brown on a vanek line...

The Kings (presumably) have 8 million coming off the books with Dustin Penner and Jarrett Stoll leaving through Free agency. I also think Vanek is just about the only player on the Sabres the Kings would be really interested in.

Of course, a much better idea for the Sabres is to keep Vanek and get Dustin Brown, not sure how it could be done though. Kings don't need Miller, probably don't want Myers, only player we have that is top tier and fills a need for the Kings is Vanek. I think Vanek for Brown fills one hole but creates another for the Sabres.

The Kings (presumably) have 8 million coming off the books with Dustin Penner and Jarrett Stoll leaving through Free agency. I also think Vanek is just about the only player on the Sabres the Kings would be really interested in.

Of course, a much better idea for the Sabres is to keep Vanek and get Dustin Brown, not sure how it could be done though. Kings don't need Miller, probably don't want Myers, only player we have that is top tier and fills a need for the Kings is Vanek. I think Vanek for Brown fills one hole but creates another for the Sabres.

Vanek for Brown makes sense if we can get Parise. Unfortunately, that is one HUMONGOUS BIG "if".

I'm not sure either, but when it broke that he was available at the deadline, the reported asking price was a top-4 defenseman, good prospect, and 1st round pick. It was McKenzie and Dreger reporting this too, so it wasn't online BS. Obviously that price could get bid up since I'm sure there would be substantial interest in Brown...but it should be significantly cheaper than trying to get Nash.

What I hear from the Kings fans here that stay current on the team is that Brown was never really on the trading block. Of course, moving Jack Johnson might have shifted their stand since then and we could perhaps get something moving with our picks (Kings have no picks in the first two rounds) and a top defenseman. (Will they take anyone other than Myers though?)

Vanek for Brown makes sense if we can get Parise. Unfortunately, that is one HUMONGOUS BIG "if".

Yes, that is a pair of deals the Sabres would have to make if they were there.

So if Roy was injured so much of the time, and he was producing so little this season, why did Ruff have him on the ice so often? He had the 6th highest time on ice of the entire roster, and the 2nd highest offensively, with an average TOI of 19:19. The only offensive player with slightly more ice time was Pommers at 19:41

Roy also had the 2nd highest total of games played for the season - 80. Only Pommers played more games - 82.

Something doesn't add up - either Roy is BS'ing about the injuries, or Ruff is an idiot for putting a player with a chronic hamstring injury on the ice so often, and futilely when he was clearly not pursuing and not producing.

Does anyone really see Roy and Ruff on the same team this fall after these comments?

I'm not a huge Roy fan, but the reason he was on the ice so much was because he kills penalties and is on the power play. Before this season, he was pretty close to a point a game player. If I was Ruff, and my team was underachieving, I'd have played him as much as I could as well.

Archived