GDT: Sabres at Bruins 4-07-2012 4:00PM

Weave

How much does Vaneks "slump" coincide with his benching by Lindy?

I want to believe Vanek has an injury. When he is right, he is tough to handle for the opposing D. I think maybe he might have been better to get fixed than play through it.

Yep. I think it interesting that Roy had more PIM than Vanek for the season - so where was Roy's disciplinary benching?

Notice how flat the Ennis line was yesterday with no Marcus Foligno on the roster? I understand that he might as well have fun in Rochester, but I so much wanted to see our big, hit happy winger matching up with Boston. That was a big disappointment to me. There are some guys on the Bruins that deserved some hits.

But the Amerks won after 5 losses in a row with Marcus and Tropp added to the roster - might not be a coincidence.

Sekeras mistakes cost us some points in the last games. Just trade him away and sign Sulzer.

Roy is not nearly a star player or first line center material, that's a sad fact.

I do not know if you get a star center for Roy, Sekera and 2 first rounders, but they should try it.

Maybe Getzlaf is available on the market? Probably not for this price but i am also not a GM of a NHL team.

Guest Sloth

Colorado is in a little trouble this offseason. They have a number of players to get under contract. They have 3 good centers. Statsny, Duchene and O'Reilly. I wouldn't want Statsny because of the price. His contract is 6+. So I'd be happy if Buffalo went after Duchene or O'Reilly. Yes, it'd cost Buffalo more than money because their both RFA's. But that is a good thing, because they're young. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to try for Getzlaf. Anaheim is in the same boat Buffalo is in. Gotta clean house and address the serious problems. Buffalo hasn't had a legit center since Briere and Drury.

And its flaws. They won't succeed with this, or a similar, roster, no matter who the coach. I saw Roy go in after a pass that was WAY ahead of him (from one of the rooks on D, so I'm not too concerned with the pass) and immediately thought that Stafford wouldn't have bothered with it. And Roy has his problems, as well. Gerbe and Kaleta are fun to watch, but one's not skilled enough, and the other isn't big enough (and maybe not skilled enough) to be a difference-maker. Cody McCormick, wow do I love his effort, but he's not ready for prime time. Enroth is Enroth, and no longer is ETHRON. This game, just like last year's Philly series, revealed a SKILL difference, not a coaching difference. That gap is closing, as we've all seen; when the Sabres are healthy, they compete.

I agree with this assessment for the most part. We've been treated to watching a team for about 5 years now where nearly every forward is playing a line above where they should be playing. It is getting better though.

Edit to add- I didn't get to see the game last night. I did hear that Regher got into it with Thornton. After watching youtube footage I am struck by another way this team is behind. I think we can say with fair certainty that Regher is our toughest defenseman right now. I'm not sure Regher has won a fight in his career. Thornton is a very good fighter but Regher is actually the bigger guy in that matchup. I bring it up to make this point, not only are the Sabres trying to catch up in the skill department, they aren't tough enough yet either. I'm not necessarily saying fighting prowess is going to matter on the way to the Stanley Cup, but it is a symptom of the lack of real grit on this team. Like our skill level, it is definitely improving, but we still have a bit to go before we can matchup talent and toughness-wise with the top teams in the league.

Sekeras mistakes cost us some points in the last games. Just trade him away and sign Sulzer.

Roy is not nearly a star player or first line center material, that's a sad fact.

I do not know if you get a star center for Roy, Sekera and 2 first rounders, but they should try it.

Maybe Getzlaf is available on the market? Probably not for this price but i am also not a GM of a NHL team.

I'm curious if anyone within the Ducks' organization is down on Getzlaf after such an off year: a career low 11 goals. At least down enough to consider moving him for a couple of 1st round picks plus. Funny things happen around draft day, and I'd love to see the Sabres take a stab.

Sekera plays small when the situation calls for him to play big. Stafford, too. You can't win games with guys that play scared. McNabb logged big minutes yesterday and acquitted himself well. With a solid training camp it's almost a definite that Nabber will be part of the top 6 D corps next year. Unless a bigger upgrade presents itself, Sekera, Weber and Sulzer can battle it out for the 6th/7th spots.

While Roy is not a superstar, he does have value. I don't see how people think it would take Roy PLUS two 1st rounders to get a superstar center.

You have to ask yourself why a team would trade a superstar center. Would trading a superstar center for Roy and a 1st (or Roy and two 1sts) put them in a better position to win the Stanley Cup either now or in the future? I'm not sure how it does. Or if they have cap issues and absolutely have to trade a superstar center (instead of dealing other guys to free up that cap space), is Buffalo going to be the team to make the best offer?

There are only so many superstar centers around and prying one away from another team is going to be very difficult. The only good news is that idiotic trades happen every year in every sport, so maybe we can benefit from one. That's probably our best hope.

I remember Mogilny in his last month or two while he was in Buffalo...he "Held Out" while playing. He must have missed 100 breakaways in a row. It was infuriating as a fan because it was so transparent. He couldn't possibly be this bad or unlucky! I could see Lindy maybe suspecting Vanek and Sekera for holding out too and maybe that's why he called them out in the media....because he suspected these two are passive-agressively sticking knives in his back. Surprise...two European players.

You have to ask yourself why a team would trade a superstar center. Would trading a superstar center for Roy and a 1st (or Roy and two 1sts) put them in a better position to win the Stanley Cup either now or in the future? I'm not sure how it does. Or if they have cap issues and absolutely have to trade a superstar center (instead of dealing other guys to free up that cap space), is Buffalo going to be the team to make the best offer?

There are only so many superstar centers around and prying one away from another team is going to be very difficult. The only good news is that idiotic trades happen every year in every sport, so maybe we can benefit from one. That's probably our best hope.

I agree, superstar centers are tough to come by. Which is why I'm not totally in support of getting rid of Roy. If Roy, Ennis and Hodgson can get some support around them like we're going to get with Foligno and possibly pick up somebody like Nash then our centers might produce a little more. I've always been a big fan of creating 3 even scoring lines instead of one superstar line. Roy has his downfalls no doubt as does every other player in the league, but if you can get the opposing team to focus their top defensive players on one line then the other two can produce. If you have only one top line and they're not producing then you're screwed. Case in point, the Sabres the two years after the lockout. If a deal can be made to improve this team by getting rid of Roy, I'm not opposed to it. But I'm also not opposed to keeping him.

We complain about Leino's stats, yet people want Getzlaf? Until scoring in his final 2 games, he had one in 32! I think he ended up with 12 on the year. Yikes!

Well then, on this forum that would mean trading Derek Roy and THREE 1st round picks. :P

I'd give up half the team to get Stamkos, seriously!

And that would be fantastic when he goes down with a torn ACL. ;)

Archived