I Think Leino Is The Only Bad Contract On The Team

CallawaySabres

5 goals in 7 games last year. Whatever the problem was, it wasn't him.

2 goals and an assist in the 2 1/2 games he played against Boston as well. If Vegas had a stat line for which sabre is most likely to score eight goals in the next six games, you wouldn't get rich betting Vanek.

how many wish they could use it on Staffords deal? Theres another one who is overpaid for his production

But whats the deal with this clause? Is it something you can only use once? If not, why wouldn't a team use the clause themselves on a player rather then making atrade to send the player somewhere else so they can use it?

There's still money involved. If it goes through, they'll have to play the player X percentage of their remaining contract to make it go away.

He seems to get hurt in the playoffs? You mean he gets his leg chopped out and then gets stepped on with a skate blade? Cut his injury prone ass!

And in terms of an amnesty clause, I don't see them using that for any contract currently on the team. Now, taking on another team's bad contract in a favorable trade? That's where it could get interesting for the Sabres.

So I'm not arguing why he gets hurt, The fact of the matter is he does get hurt. And when 7M is on the bench in the playoffs, it's a bad contract. I feel for the guy, I really do. At no time did I say cut him. I just stated my opinion that for the price the Sabres are paying, they aren't getting the return they would have hoped for.

The problem with this team really isn't specific bad contracts handed out to specific players, IMHO, although I always hated Hecht's contract.

The problem is they have too many similar players, which is never a good thing.

If you look at the teams who consistently make it deep into the playoffs, they almost always have a mix of skill players, role players, some who are both, and of course goaltending.

The Sabres, IMHO, have too many skill players, and not enough players who can both chip in on offense, but also dish it out physically and verbally when called upon.

It's a delicate balance though - Too much skill, you get the recent and perhaps current Buffalo Sabres. Too much grit, you end up in the box all night.

• 1 month later...

I just need to Fluff Pommer for a minute:

In 2011-2012:

Pominville had the 41s highest Cap Hit for a forward

He finished 25th in goals

He finished 18th in points

He led sabres forwards in ATOI

He is defensively responsible

He is nearly invincible (82 GP for the 5th time in 6 years)

He'd be a steal at $6Million :P

Now if only the other 11 Forwards didn't suck...

Only problem with Leino's contract is that they got him to be a #1 center and he so far has not shown chemistry with Vanek and appears to be headed to the shut-down line...or a winger...basically the problem with Leino's contract, when all is said and done, isn't Leino. It's the utterly discombobulated way that he's been used. Meh. All this talk of the cap ceiling going up has me far less bunged up about it. We can still get Nick Foligno :)

Only problem with Leino's contract is that they got him to be a #1 center and he so far has not shown chemistry with Vanek and appears to be headed to the shut-down line...or a winger...basically the problem with Leino's contract, when all is said and done, isn't Leino. It's the utterly discombobulated way that he's been used. Meh. All this talk of the cap ceiling going up has me far less bunged up about it. We can still get Nick Foligno :)

I couldn't disagree more. The problem with Leino's contract is Leino. He is not worth a $4.5 mil a year cap hit no matter what position he plays. The Sabres were duped by Leino and it has nothing with playing center. He is a guy with average skill that should be making $1.5 -$2 mil tops. He found himself in a nice situation in Philly and cashed it in big time. Leino is Fernando Pisani v2.0.

I couldn't diagree more. The Sabres were duped by Leino? You are kidding, right? Gee their pro scouts and genius GM were incapable of deciding if he could play that position? They asked him if he could? You really are kidding, right? We were willing to spend the money based on what he said, not what we thought we saw? WTF!!! Can't blame the guy for taking the money. Only a moron wouldn't. Blame the GM who paid him the money.

I couldn't diagree more. The Sabres were duped by Leino? You are kidding, right? Gee their pro scouts and genius GM were incapable of deciding if he could play that position? They asked him if he could? You really are kidding, right? We were willing to spend the money based on what he said, not what we thought we saw? WTF!!! Can't blame the guy for taking the money. Only a moron wouldn't. Blame the GM who paid him the money.

Did you bother reading the post I was responding to? "the problem with Leino's contract, when all is said and done, isn't Leino. It's the utterly discombobulated way that he's been used." Regier is completely at fault for offering that moronic contract. To say Leino's play is a result of misuse is ridiculous, Leino's play was a result of his talent level.

Did you bother reading the post I was responding to? "the problem with Leino's contract, when all is said and done, isn't Leino. It's the utterly discombobulated way that he's been used." Regier is completely at fault for offering that moronic contract. To say Leino's play is a result of misuse is ridiculous, Leino's play was a result of his talent level.

Okay, I read your post and apparently misunderstood your point. I apologize. He HAS ben used incorrectly and Regeir is at fault. We agree. I like verbal conversations so much better. It would have taken us 20 seconds to realize we agree.

Okay, I read your post and apparently misunderstood your point. I apologize. He HAS ben used incorrectly and Regeir is at fault. We agree. I like verbal conversations so much better. It would have taken us 20 seconds to realize we agree.

You could call him up. (716) 867-5309.

No, you agree with me and still disagree with DeLuca. :D

You could call him up. (716) 867-5309.

Holy crap. I sure hope that's Mighty Taco's number and not his. :w00t:

Archived