Tomas Vanished Again

Marvelo

Jesus........... somebody goes in a slump and it's 'Get him the hell out of BFLO, he sucks, demote him, trade him for a 5th rounder, he doesn't want to be here!!!!!!' Gimme a break. Show me an NHL'er that is consistent from start to finish. If it wasn't for P'Ville and Vanek singlehandedly carrying this team to a handful of wins while the rest of the team was completely invisible, we wouldn't be talking about playoff possibilities right now. That bandwagon's getting awfully full.

Playing well & getting scoring chances, but the puck isn't going in is acceptable. Playing like crap for the better part of 2012 when you are making 7 mil a year is not acceptable. Especially when this same type of "slump" has been seen in seasons past.

Guys he is a big boy, if he got benched for a game 2.5 months ago he should have gotten over it. Quite frankly a player should play regardless of coach. It is so easy to say oh he doesn't want to play for that coach, well so ###### what? I don't get to say oh i don't want to sit that exam or oh i don't want to work today. You do it because you should. It is that simple.

I have no idea why he is playing so poorly recently. He has not even been that noticeable in my opinion. But then again, everyone goes through slumps.

He never has and never will be a $7mill player. He got the offer because we got ###### by a combination of mangement and drury. Edmonton swooped in and tried to steal him and Darcy literally HAD to sign him. Let's face it, it isn't Tom's fault either, i would gladly take that contract if i was offered it.

Fun thought though, we could have had Hall, RNH and two other first rounders for Vanek (if he hadn't made Edmonton into a decent team)

To me Vanek seems like he's playing hurt, but he's not the type of player that will blame it on an injury (Roy). One thing that I'm interested in finding out (haven't looked it up yet) is how he performed before and after his benching by Lindy, he might of not been doing real good before it, but I would bet that after he was benched, his attitude went to ###### as far as giving any extra effort. I know that his salary should be all the incentive he needs, but it just doesn't work like that. You're not going to go out and play your ass off if you feel that you are unappreciated and not respected by your coach. As far as playing with Roy, of course that has something to do with his decline, Roy is not a playmaker, Vanek needs someone that can get the puck to him frequently, not someone that does it as often as a blind squirrel finding a nut.

Hodgson is centering Vanek and Leino next game.

I honestly can not believe that anyone believes THOMAS FREAKING VANEK would clear waivers to make it to rochester in the first place or that he could not be traded.

As I suggested 3 days ago, if Vanek is traded you can bring parise however that makes the team smaller which we complain about.

AND HIS NAME IS THOMAS I am sorry but it should be spelled correctly in the thread title for the love of god.

As I suggested 3 days ago, if Vanek is traded you can bring parise however that makes the team smaller which we complain about.

There is a difference between being small but playing big(Parise) and being big but playing small(Stafford and Vanek).

There is a difference between being small but playing big(Parise) and being big but playing small(Stafford and Vanek).

In fairness I don't think Vanek plays small, he goes into all the dirty areas and takes all kinds of abuse in front of the net to get goals (when he's on his game anyway). Just because he's not running around laying thunderous checks doesn't mean he plays small. He's also proven to be a good playoff performer.

There's something wrong with Vanek, whether it's physical, mental, or emotional. I have no idea which it is, but there's something. He's always been a streaky player but his slumps have normally been along the lines of 10-12 games, never almost half a season.

Guys he is a big boy, if he got benched for a game 2.5 months ago he should have gotten over it. Quite frankly a player should play regardless of coach. It is so easy to say oh he doesn't want to play for that coach, well so ###### what? I don't get to say oh i don't want to sit that exam or oh i don't want to work today. You do it because you should. It is that simple.

I have no idea why he is playing so poorly recently. He has not even been that noticeable in my opinion. But then again, everyone goes through slumps.

He never has and never will be a $7mill player. He got the offer because we got ###### by a combination of mangement and drury. Edmonton swooped in and tried to steal him and Darcy literally HAD to sign him. Let's face it, it isn't Tom's fault either, i would gladly take that contract if i was offered it.

Fun thought though, we could have had Hall, RNH and two other first rounders for Vanek (if he hadn't made Edmonton into a decent team)

And with all those upper first round picks BFLO would have gotten, they are still the 2nd worst team in the league. Could you imagine this forum if Vanek was given up for a bunch of guys on a team that still fights to keep out of the cellar? :o

It seems like Vanek goes into these funks every year, and every time it happens, someone starts speculating that he must be playing hurt. I say bull####.

Based on what? Have you seen the beating he takes in front of the net when the Sabres are on the power play? Find some other Sabre to do that so that we don't have to send our most talented forward there, and maybe he won't be nursing injuries all season long.

There are plenty of shots during the broadcast of Vanek wincing on the bench after a tough shift. All season long. Of course he plays hurt. We don't have other guys willing to do what he does.

If it's true, and the injuries are affecting his play that much, GTFO of the lineup until you can contribute.

Great idea. Let's get Vanek "the ######" out of the lineup so that we can.......play who? For all the bitching about who much money he makes, he's still our no.2 scorer by a long shot. After Vanek's 50 points, we have Roy and Stafford with 38 points each and those are the first two guys we should be moving this summer.

So whose ice time are you dying to give Vanek's ice time to?

My speculation...They are paying him 7 mil a year to be a great player. Instead they are getting a guy who goes into these prolonged funks, and will probably always be this way. If the Sabres could sign Parise, I'd trade Vanek in a heartbeat, and would not lose sleep wondering if I am winning the trade.

1. How much less money should Vanek be paid before everyone stops complaining about him? Like, if he was making $5M/year, would everyone still be losing sleep over Vanek's play?

2. For all the complaining about Vanek's horrible funks and awful effort, he's still no.7 on the Sabres list of all-time scorers. He's ahead of Rene Robert (he apparently also must have sucked). By this time next year, even with another down season, he'll be no.5 behind only Perrault, Martin, Andreychuk, and Gare. Imagine if he was playing with a center who wasn't Roy or Connolly during his time here. Or don't, and just keep demanding that the Sabres trade him because he's so terrible.

In fairness I don't think Vanek plays small, he goes into all the dirty areas and takes all kinds of abuse in front of the net to get goals (when he's on his game anyway). Just because he's not running around laying thunderous checks doesn't mean he plays small. He's also proven to be a good playoff performer.

Seriously, find another player on this team willing to go stand in front of the next and get cross-checked by an NHL defenseman for 60 seconds during the power play. It would actually be a nice change of pace.

Part of the reason Vanek was so effective to start this season is because he was playing with Luke Adam, who did go to the front of the net -- which gave Vanek room to maneuver. Shocking that no one manages to connect the dots on this. <_<

I for one would love to see that move, meaning waivers, just to prove to a few of the aforementioned posters just how silly and out of touch with reality their comments are.(the fact is probably only five or six teams would claim him in the first five minutes after he was placed on waivers given his present cap hit level .) .How many guys are over 30 goals this year in the NHL this year, how many over 25..who are their line mates.....of those players how many are playing hurt or will play hurt , how many play in front of the net, (have you ever wondered why most coaches do not put their 30+ in front of the net ), How many get banged around and chopped up as much as Vanek,. How many play without a true one playmaking center, play on teams without a pp , play on a team with no secondary scoring, and with a tiny non physical rw who is a wonderful rw in a finesse game but not the guy you need against a physical opponent. . I want the guy to get an exit pass from the Sabres but that has more to do with Lindy Ruff than his play. Vanek has earned his out imo....Pom deserves an out too, as does Miller. Ya gotta love those fickle fans. Get hurt and go dry for twenty games on some crap line Lindy throws together and you are a bum and the problem... He should have just sat down ...and stayed down when he got hurt. Anybody who thinks Parise ends up here in Buffalo is on acid.. The sabres would have a really hard time landing any established elite player still in his prime without overpaying big time and especially with Ruff as the coach., Vanek is not and never was elite player . He is a sniper who needs the puck on time when he is open. He is a goal scoring role player with 40+ potential if put in the proper slot. If he leaves and goes to the right team he will score 40, and contribute in a playoff run. . It is his nature and his history. He is one of the few Sabres not intimidated in a physical game

Hodgson is centering Vanek and Leino next game.

I think we'll see a difference from both of them.

Again, just because someone receives a high salary, means they have no excuse to under perform ? His health, after close to 70 games with the beating he takes in front of the net he has to be at about 80% tops. More so, if you're working under someone that singles you out for every mistake, yet never gives praise or due respect (not be given the C was a slap in Vanek's face, if the players had the vote, I would bet Vanek would be the C) your not going to give it your all, now matter what kind of money you make. Getting a pat on the back makes you work harder, getting kicked does just the opposite.

My theory is Vanek has been playing hurt the past 30 games but as a $7 million man, he's a bust and the Sabres should trade him! Bottom line, he woulda rather played for Edmonton than the Sabres (Ruff) and I think he's unhappy in Buffalo.

http://www.kuklaskor...slumping_sabre/

I think he's slightly Austrian, and is prouder and more reserved than a German, if that's possible. Austrians tend to have a superiority complex, based on history, bundled with and inferiority complex, based on reality. I think that he has a different makeup than what we're used to.

He'd be a talented and affluent, but self-conscious former confederate lieutenant, in our culture. Can you imagine what it would feel like to be a wealthy young confederate lieutenant, after the war, who is uncomfortable in his own skin? He certainly could use some more Yosemite Sam, in his personality, but he's too sensitive to be a Yosemite Sam.

I think he's slightly Austrian, and is prouder and more reserved than a German, if that's possible. Austrians tend to have a superiority complex, based on history, bundled with and inferiority complex, based on reality. I think that he has a different makeup than what we're used to.

He'd be a talented and affluent, but self-conscious former confederate lieutenant, in our culture. Can you imagine what it would feel like to be a wealthy young confederate lieutenant, after the war, who is uncomfortable in his own skin? He certainly could use some more Yosemite Sam, in his personality, but he's too sensitive to be a Yosemite Sam.

This is,.. well,.. just fantastic.

I would love to see him with a Van Dyck.

OK, do Drew Stafford now! :rolleyes:

OK, do Drew Stafford now! :rolleyes:

Drew Stafford is the musician-friend we might remember from high-school or college. He gets in the groove sometimes, but he can't keep it together for the whole song.

He also plays hockey. :P

(don't take these too seriously, but they ARE fun).

Archived