Changes Coming to On-Air Personalities

papazoid

#1- Rick Jeanneret - H.O.F. level.....the best !!

#2- Brian Duff - Total Pro.....need to use this guy more.

#3- Rob Ray - Outstanding.....very insightful.

**big drop off**

#4- Kevin Sylvester - solid in studio, play by play not so much.

#5- Danny Gare - just OK

#6- Mike Robitaille - don't like him

#7- Harry Neal - master of the obvious, he needs to go.

#8- Chris "bulldog" Parker - lost his edge.

#9- Mike Schopp - Horrible

#10 - Brian Kozial - Not Rated ( i must like him tho, the few times i listen to radio post game, can't remember not liking it).

Michael Peca made brief appearences earlier in year.....just saw him on TSN....i like him.

EDIT (6/12/12):

Changes Coming to Buffalo Sabres Broadcasts:

According to a news release sent out by the team, among the major changes will be the addition of Rob Ray to the broadcast booth as the full-time color analyst and the creation of a new Sabres radio show, hosted by Kevin Sylvester, which will air daily beginning with its debut on June 18.

Brian Duff, who joined the Sabres broadcast team in 2011-12, has also signed a new deal with the team to serve as the full-time host for all Sabres broadcasts on MSG. In that role, Duff will host the pregame show before all games, the post game Report and the intermission reports between periods.

Veteran broadcasters Harry Neale, Danny Gare and Mike Robitaille will be mainstays across all Sabres platforms in 2012-13, providing in-depth analysis before, during and after games. Neale will join Robitaille as a regular analyst on the pregame show and intermission reports, while Robitaille will continue his work on the postgame show. In addition to writing a new blog on Sabres.com, Gare will be appearing on Sabres Hockey Hotline in a weekly segment.

http://www.wgrz.com/...bres-Broadcasts

Robitaille used to be great back in the day before they muzzled him. I still like his style though.

Didn't Doug Gilmour sort of threaten him on locker cleanout day? Pre-lockout, Roby was brutally honest. Brian Blessing did a hell of a job making his negativity palatable and entertaining.

Kevin Sylvester needs to be put out to pasture. ASAP. His #1 unforgivable sin is that he doesn't understand the game of hockey on a deep enough level. His job is not to be Sabres Head Cheerleader. He should be forced to watch clips of Ron MacLean, A Clockwork Orange style, until he transforms into the intermission host we deserve.

Rick Jeanneret - 8/10. Loses two points because he loses the puck twice a game. Awesome voice inflections say much without having to say it.

Brian Duff - 8/10. Committed hockey geek. Haven't seem much humor from him. Best factual knowledge of the league on the staff.

Rob Ray - 8/10. Opposite personality from Duff. Good to have.

Kevin Sylvester - 4/10. Substitute. Nice guy.

Danny Gare - j3/10. Great player. Doesn't come off as sharp on air.

Mike Robitaille - 7/10. Basing this on his radio appearances, only, where his insight is usually absolutely unique.

Harry Neal - 4/10. He's just old, that's all, and I can't hate him for it.

Bulldog - 5/10. He's less dynamic, and less of a wind up merchant, than Schopp, but more likable.

Mike Schopp - 6/10. The straw that stirs the drink. Get's people riled up. Sometimes a poseur-idiot.

Brian Kozial - 4/10. Says the right things in the right way, perhaps, but needs to loosen up a little.

Brad Riter - 6/10. Opposite of Brian Kozial. Interesting takes, usually, sometimes too self-indulgent.

I like Roby - he acts so pissed off when the Sabres aren't playing the way they should, just like WE are.

We won't have Harry Neal and Rick J. much longer, I'm afraid. They're both up there in years. It's amazing how much "better" the games seem when they're doing the commentary instead of the alternate commentators, or NBC/Versus guys.

RJ has for all intents and purposes has mailed it in. I know he's iconic and all that but he didn't even try with Szezchura. It's hard to spell, rather easy to say. Se-sure-ah. He goes with sahara? Awful. I like RJ. He's the voice of the Sabres but his time has come.

RJ has for all intents and purposes has mailed it in. I know he's iconic and all that but he didn't even try with Szezchura. It's hard to spell, rather easy to say. Se-sure-ah. He goes with sahara? Awful. I like RJ. He's the voice of the Sabres but his time has come.

remind me not to make you my health care proxy.

Kevin Sylvester is atrocious I almost look forward to hearing the NBC play by play in opposition to his lack of game calling ability. I think he must forget sometimes that he is on radio as well. Kevin call the game for the people who can't see it stop talking about your dinner.

#1- Rick Jeanneret - 9/10 used to be 10/10 but age caught up on him sometimes I wonder what he is talking about and what he is seeing on the ice ... haha

#2- Brian Duff - 9/10 has done a great job and has a huge knowledge when it comes to hockey

#3- Rob Ray - 9/10 honestly never thought he would do such a great job but I think he has done a fantastic job.

#4- Mike Robitaille 8/10 calm guy. Know's what he is talking about and pretty much sums up my thoughts in every intermission.

#5- Kevin Sylvester 7/10 I actually like his way of calling the games. He is really into it and I can imagine him standing in his booth when there is a scramble in the crease and the sabres might score.

#6- Danny Gare 4/10 Liked him in the Robitaille role when they were on the road but dont like him as Kevin's sidekick. He says "partner" like 1000 times during a game to Kevin.

#7- Harry Neal - 5/10 Like RJ battles the age and it's tough to follow him sometimes.

Not used to the other guys but at work I sometimes listen to the Howard Simon SHow and I would grade Howard and Jeremy 6/10

This might be the last RJ season. If he continues I doubt it will be more than 1 more season.

I am still pleased with Kevin taking over the job as it would be much better than RJ's son. I don't like his voice at all. This would also mean that we would see Brian Duff more often. But I would like to see a better analyst than Danny Gare.

Future Line-Up: Kevin Sylvester, TBD Co-Host, Rob Ray, Brian Duff, Mike Robitaille(at home only)

I'm honestly (and sadly) kind of done with RJ. Last night Erhoff blasted as shot from the point on a PP and RJ yelled out "MILLLERR!!" as the save was made. I think watching on TV braodcast makes it worse. When listening on the radio you don't realize how "off" what he is calling is in relation to what is happening on the ice. As for Harry Neale; I don't think even RJ know what the hell he's babbling about half the time.

To me Rob Ray and Brian Duff are the only no brainer keepers.

Gare drives me nuts as well. He gets so excited he doesn't know what the hell is coming out of his mouth.

**big drop off**

#5- Danny Gare - just OK

#1 - Ricky J - 9/10 - maybe he's lost a step over the years but he's far and away the best man for the job.

#2 - Rayzor - 7/10 - Not the most knowledgeable person but he has great insight and is actually very good at his job between the benches.

#3 - Brian Druff - 7/10 - He's smart, classy, knows his hockey. He's also the best of any of the characters you see on NHL Network.

#4 - Harry Neale - 7/10 - OK, 7 seems a little high for someone who makes as many mistakes and corny jokes as Harry. But believe it or not, he's grown on me. RJ, Rayzor and Neale make for a pretty good broadcast even if there are some awkward moments.

#5 - Mike Robitaille - 8/10 - Great at his job. Great analysis and insight. He's better at his job than Harry is at doing his own job, but Harry's job is just a little more important so that's why he's ahead. But Robitaille is great, I don't see why anyone could complain about him.

#6. Kevin Sylvester - 5/10 - Great host, decent hockey knowledge. Perfect intermission host, but the absolute worst choice for play by place.

#7. Danny Gare - 3/10 - Just cannot stand to listen to him, to be honest.

WGR guys I couldn't care less about rating since they are just radio hosts.

I agree. The only reason I wouldn't want to see him retire full time, is if Sylvester and Gare and the replacements. :thumbdown:

On Brian Duff...I get the feeling he is the only guy of all those listed, with in-depth knowledge of the NHL. The rest of them probably know just enough to sound intelligent to the casual fan. I don't know what his career aspirations are, but I would do whatever it takes to keep him part of the Sabres broadcasts...preferably in a much larger role.

I would rather see Roby behind the bench than broadcasting. There would be no passengers on his team and Roy would've been washing jockstraps a long time ago.

Love listening to Ray. Ex-players easily make the best broadcasters. Well except for Gare, he obviously took too many shots to the coconut leaving him with a slight speech impediment.

How sweet would it be if when RJ and Harry retired, they were replaced by Brian Duff and Marty Biron??

Edit: And I pretty much agree with Peppy and Yuri on the others. Gare seems like a nice guy, but he's awful in the booth and he and Sylvester seem to bring out the worst in each other.

I would rather see Roby behind the bench than broadcasting. There would be no passengers on his team and Roy would've been washing jockstraps a long time ago.

Love listening to Ray. Ex-players easily make the best broadcasters. Well except for Gare, he obviously took drank too many shots to the coconut before the game leaving him with a slight speech impediment.

Fixed that for you. :thumbsup:

I hope this isn't RJ's last year but if they have to replace him as PBP, I hope it's with a CANADIAN broadcaster. American hockey PBP just don't cut it. I don't know what it is, maybe they just don't have the presence. Canadian PBP men just seem so much more classy, something that Buffalo fans need.

One possible exception may be Pete Weber, although he's been with the Preds since Day 1.

Fixed that for you. :thumbsup:

:P Nice!! Along w RJ. At least RJ has no problem talking about all the watering holes he like to visit on road trips

I hope this isn't RJ's last year but if they have to replace him as PBP, I hope it's with a CANADIAN broadcaster. American hockey PBP just don't cut it. I don't know what it is, maybe they just don't have the presence. Canadian PBP men just seem so much more classy, something that Buffalo fans need.

One possible exception may be Pete Weber, although he's been with the Preds since Day 1.

Did you say Pete Weber?

http://youtu.be/gKQOXYB2cd8

RJ 8/10....slipping a bit but still has an amazing grasp of the pace of the game

Duff 10/10....this is how a host moves a broadcast along.....smart, conscise, and smooth

Ray 8/10....horrible when he first started but has knocked it out of the park in the last few years....i'll never forget his comment in the Boston series that said what everyone was thinking, "Someone has to go say something to Boychuck right now"

Harry 6/10....Oldtimer feel but has lost a step but his work with Bob Cole puts him in the HOF

Sylvester 0/10....He's horrible....no feel for the moment....please Terry, if ur going to proclaim to be a first class org. then drop this no-talent

Roby 3/10....his act has grown stale

Koziol 3/10....Howard Simon lite......I swear I heard him say "Golly gee" one night.....brutal

Bulldog 1/10.....Lazy....horrible broadcaster.....his theories have no insight....mails it in almost every day

Schoop 4/10....i actually think he's smart but the attitude just kills the show....hey Mike, listen to WFAN....that's how it's done

Murph 9/10...the gold standard in the city

Seems a good place to add this. Anyone else notice when Ray is doing a conversation bit with sylvester or someone else on the broadcast team that everytime its back to him he says "no, your right".

I love Ray but it's so brutal that I make it a drinking game and I am smashed before the puck drops lol

I liked Gare in the pregames when he was subbing for Roby. I would like to see both Gare and Roby doing the pre/post games with Duffer. Duff can do the color commentary during the game perhaps. Ray needs to keep doing what he has been doing but needs to do it for all the games - not just the RJ games.

Sylvester can do Sabres web stuff and social stuff.

**big drop off**

#5- Danny Gare - just OK

#8- Chris "bulldog" Parker - lost his edge.

#9- Mike Schopp - Horrible

#10 - Brian Kozial - Not Rated ( i must like him tho, the few times i listen to radio post game, can't remember not liking it).

Michael Peca made brief appearences earlier in year.....just saw him on TSN....i like him.

Schopp and The Bulldog is sports talk worth listening to, it only gets better when Sullivan joins the discussion.

Joe Buscaglia is really good, the kid knows football. He'll be in a bigger market real soon.

The WGR morning show is horrible.

The Sabres broadcast team is amateurish. Maybe they have too many play makers in the booth.

Archived