Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

You don't think McNabb is ready? He's looked very solid in his time up here IMO. Brennan has looked good as well. Not to mention we already have The Hoff, Myers, Leo, Sekera, Weber and Regehr all comming back as of right now.

I think he needs to work on his skating a lot. Maybe come training camp he will wow me, but I'm not ready to pencil him into the top 6 based on the small number of games he has played at the NHL level.

Edited by LabattBlue

Tropp is doing fine, but let's be honest about this: Tropp is not a top-6 RW on a contender.

Before two weeks ago, did you think that Foligno was a top 6 forward? Tropp has enough skill, to develop into a top 6 forward. Whether or not he makes that jump is yet to be seen.

Edited by LabattBlue

You don't know that.

Down the road, your statement might have merit. But not many true Stanley Cup contenders have a rookie that hasn't topped 20 goals in major junior, college, or the AHL playing wing on (arguably) the top scoring line. At present, unless Buffalo surprises and IS a contender, he does know that. (And trust me, I'm hoping that Buffalo does surprise.)

Edited by Taro T

Down the road, your statement might have merit. But not many true Stanley Cup contenders have a rookie that hasn't topped 20 goals in major junior, college, or the AHL playing wing on (arguably) the top scoring line. At present, unless Buffalo surprises and IS a contender, he does know that. (And trust me, I'm hoping that Buffalo does surprise.)

This whole argument is so.... lighthearted? goofy? ...compared to the gloom & doom on the Caps forum. Heheh.

Before two weeks ago, did you think that Foligno was a top 6 forward? Tropp has enough skill, to develop into a top 6 forward. Whether or not he makes that jump is yet to be seen.

Early days for Tropp. But I see him a lot like Dan Paille, but with more of a physical edge. Which means he can float up and down lines and gives you a lot of flexibility when filling lines through injuries. Nice asset to have.

You are dissing him by comparing him to Paille. I've never seen Paille try to turn a defenseman inside out. The thought of Paille trying to turn a defenseman inside out is depressing.

Tropp can muscle a player off the puck, and he can pass, and shoot, and fight better than a 7th defenseman turned forward.

You are dissing him by comparing him to Paille. I've never seen Paille try to turn a defenseman inside out. The thought of Paille trying to turn a defenseman inside out is depressing.

Tropp can muscle a player off the puck, and he can pass, and shoot, and fight better than a 7th defenseman turned forward.

Are you thinking of Nathan Paetsch?

Dan Paille scored 19 goals for us in 07-08. I don't know what happened to him after that but at one point he looked like he had a really bright future in Buffalo. If Tropp is a better, edgier version of Paille who doesn't turn out to be a head case, he'll be an awesome player to have.

This thread has drifted a bit from strictly a discussion re: Kassian-Hodgson, but I saw this Hockey News article this afternoon and thought the notion that Hodgson trains under Gary Roberts in the offseason probably should dispel any real concerns about a bad attitude:

http://www.thehockey...-in-201213.html

"Not surprisingly, the newest Sabres weapon is also a client of ‘Scary’ Gary and whatever subterfuge has been out there in the past about Hodgson’s attitude can pretty much be tossed out the window based on the company he keeps in the summer. Simply put, Roberts does not mess around. What the former NHLer preaches is no less than a lifestyle decision, where players commit themselves to both rigorous workouts and nutrition rites involving organic food and the right kinds of it."

Edited by Punch

This thread has drifted a bit from strictly a discussion re: Kassian-Hodgson, but I saw this Hockey News article this afternoon and thought the notion that Hodgson trains under Gary Roberts in the offseason probably should dispel any real concerns about a bad attitude:

"Not surprisingly, the newest Sabres weapon is also a client of ‘Scary’ Gary and whatever subterfuge has been out there in the past about Hodgson’s attitude can pretty much be tossed out the window based on the company he keeps in the summer. Simply put, Roberts does not mess around. What the former NHLer preaches is no less than a lifestyle decision, where players commit themselves to both rigorous workouts and nutrition rites involving organic food and the right kinds of it."

Awesome article. And I thought I heard Ted Black say that Hodgson doesn't drink too. I agree with Roberts -- being a pro athlete is a lifestyle decision. I want guys who are so committed to winning and being their best that it touches every part of their life.

You aren't thinking Paetsh, are you?

editsa: Rob beat me too it.

Edited by X. Benedict

I was thinking of Tropp. Some other brother from a gentle mother distracted me, inadvertently. No. I was thinking of Paetch. Damn it, wasn't Paille a defenseman at some time!

Naw just the OHL body checker of the year.

Twice!! Where did that guy go?

Edited by inkman

That would be my exact plan: roll 3 lines, 2 scoring and 1 hybrid. Foligno is cheap (900K), Ennis will be relatively cheap (I expect a Stafford-esque second contract 2 year $4 million contract) and Hodgson is relatively cheap ($1.6).

Vanek-Hodgson-Brown

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Leino-Roy-Pominville

I'd be perfectly comfortable with this lineup heading into next season. I'm not opposed to offloading Roy, but at this point I don't want to rely on Luke Adam to fill his role, so we'd have to find somebody else viable...and I can think of worse things in the world than Roy in a contract year when at his age it's his last chance to cash in big time. Also, in any deal for Brown, I'm assuming we're dumping a few million of salary (Sekera or Leopold, for instance). I don't think money is an issue unless we're trying to add Parise or Nash.

Getting rid of Sekera would be a huge mistake. He has been our most consistent defensemen this year, with his play elevating to it's highest levels since he and Regehr were paired up. The two of them have consistently shut down the other teams top lines for months now. They are a perfect compliment to one another.

Oh GAWD no. Tropp is doing fine. Leave him be.

...although, if Brown could be an option, it'd be tough to turn down.

I just checked Capgeek, and with Ennis due to get a BIG offer sheet this coming offseason and no way in Hell Regier letting him go, to get Brown here we'd have to shed a Roy, Leino, or Stafford to make space. Not just one but actually two higher-priced guys would have to go, and that's AFTER Boyes and hecht are allowed to walk.

couple thoughts on the various things brought up recently.

Tropp has been ok. He is still to small and gets muscled out by the bigger and stronger Dmen out there thou and I don't like that from the supposed grinder of a line.

McNabb has been brutal in his last handful of games with the Sabres. I don't even consider him the 7th defensemen at this point come next season. His skating has been poor, his decision making has been questionable, and his confidence is gone to step up to make the big hits.

Unless Sekera is required in a deal to bring someone like Dustin Brown or a superstar player in. I am not getting rid of him. In Sekera you have the exact type of defensemen that excels under Lindy Ruff (smooth skating, puck moving, positional D). I remember shortly after Soupy was traded and saying we found his replacment in Sekera, whilest I was mostly wrong in that we have a very good defensemen that my not be a superstar but he is capable of making whoever he is playing with look alot better

I just checked Capgeek, and with Ennis due to get a BIG offer sheet this coming offseason and no way in Hell Regier letting him go, to get Brown here we'd have to shed a Roy, Leino, or Stafford to make space. Not just one but actually two higher-priced guys would have to go, and that's AFTER Boyes and hecht are allowed to walk.

Really?!?!?! Steven friggen Stamkos coming off back to back 90+ point and 40+ goal seasons didn't get a offer sheet. But Tyler dont call me dennis Ennis coming off a 49 point and a injury shortened season of whats looking like 35 points is gonna get a Big Offer sheet?

I don't care about the stats, although the most important stat -- playoff wins -- heavily favors Drury.

More importantly, when Drury was captain, there was no "fragile little children" issue. Until the last month, Pommer's captaincy has been all about day care for fragile little children. And it's far from clear that that issue has been resolved.

I'm not going to argue Pommer is the better captain, but I do think we tend to romanticize Drury's captaincy a bit. I mean, that 06-07 team seemed AWFULLY tight in the playoffs, and laid a gigantic egg against Ottawa. I think they felt the pressure of being favorites to win the conference, and Drury was part of the leadership which let that happen.

Getting rid of Sekera would be a huge mistake. He has been our most consistent defensemen this year, with his play elevating to it's highest levels since he and Regehr were paired up. The two of them have consistently shut down the other teams top lines for months now. They are a perfect compliment to one another.

I'm not advocating getting rid of Sekera, but you're not getting a guy like Dustin Brown with a poo poo platter of mid-level prospects and a 1st round pick.

I would be beyond shocked if Ennis got an offer sheet of any kind from another team, let alone a big one. Stamkos didn't get one, Doughty didn't get one....that stuff just doesn't happen. Yea yea Vanek...that was a completely unique situation which is not repeating itself this year.

I love this trade more by the day.

Really?!?!?! Steven friggen Stamkos coming off back to back 90+ point and 40+ goal seasons didn't get a offer sheet. But Tyler dont call me dennis Ennis coming off a 49 point and a injury shortened season of whats looking like 35 points is gonna get a Big Offer sheet?

Stamkos didn't get an offer sheet when he became a RFA, you're saying? I mean ?!?!?!?!???!?!!*&?$#!??(*^%?)??!!!^?!:::"?$$$? :ph34r:

Alright, so I guess I didn't know that the Vanek offer was that much of an anomaly. I thought the AMOUNT was what everyone was mad at Lowe for. And then these other young phenoms all came to their RFA and I just assumed that the offer sheets would just flow in. Didn't know it was some unwritten rule that Lowe broke.

OK< so Ennis will get what, a million then? Still, to get a Dustin Brown, it looks like we'll have to give up a 4-mil+ guy, even after doing the chincy stuff like replacing McCormick's 1.2 with a rookie salary and that kind of stuff. I'll be interested in which of those guys Darcy moves. And I'll also be curious who he replaces them with, as Brown goes to Vanek's line.

Stamkos didn't get an offer sheet when he became a RFA, you're saying? I mean ?!?!?!?!???!?!!*&?$#!??(*^%?)??!!!^?!:::"?$$$? :ph34r:

Alright, so I guess I didn't know that the Vanek offer was that much of an anomaly. I thought the AMOUNT was what everyone was mad at Lowe for. And then these other young phenoms all came to their RFA and I just assumed that the offer sheets would just flow in. Didn't know it was some unwritten rule that Lowe broke.

OK< so Ennis will get what, a million then? Still, to get a Dustin Brown, it looks like we'll have to give up a 4-mil+ guy, even after doing the chincy stuff like replacing McCormick's 1.2 with a rookie salary and that kind of stuff. I'll be interested in which of those guys Darcy moves. And I'll also be curious who he replaces them with, as Brown goes to Vanek's line.

There's only been a handful of offer sheets submitted to date.

Depending on how long his deal is for, I'd expect Ennis to fall somewhere in a $1.8MM-$2.2MM deal. If it's really long, I could see $2.4MM. He's still on his entry level deal and a long way from UFA status. He isn't going to get a Tyler Myers type deal.

I would still like to move Roy. I'm more convinced than ever that the After-Black-Sunday core needs to be dismantled. We took off last year when Roy went away and we took off this year when Gaustad went away. Stafford got better when we moved him away from Roy. Correlation is not causation, but I've seen enough that I'm ready to find out what this team can do with a new leadership structure.

Keep Poms and Vanek as your captain and alternate, then ask the younger guys to step up. The team is at its best when that happens anyway.

I'm just not interested in going back to having zilch at center depth or relying on Luke Adam to step up. The free agent center crop is terrible, and even Stoll who I had previously advocated I'm not particularly interested in since the Hodgson trade, since he'll probably want what Roy is making and will almost certainly give lower production. I like having 3 lines that can score, with 1 of them being a hybrid scoring/shutdown line. And with it being a contract year I'm not worried about inconsistent effort. Again if the right deal is there for him I make it, but we need to have a plan to bring in a legitimate #3 center with offensive upside to replace him.

While on the topic of centers, it's possible that Ennis is a #1 center. In the GDT I did a quick stat comparison to Giroux, and it matches up really well. In Giroux's first full season he played wing and had 47 points in 82 games while averging 16:37 of ice time (previous year he played 42 games for 27 points). Ennis' first season on wing he had 49 points in 82 games while averaging 15:40 of ice time (previous season 9 points in 10 games). Giroux's second full season is when he moved to center and he ended with 76 points in 82 games averaging 19:24 of ice time. Ennis this season he has 29 points in 43 games while averaging 15:51 of ice time...and we all know if I wasn't too lazy to parse out the numbers, they'd be much more impressive only counting his games at center. Is Giroux a #1 center? Yes. Does Ennis have an eerily similar skill set and career production? Yes. Maybe we caught lightning in a bottle.