GDT: Sabres at Islanders 1/14/12 7:00 P.M.

Wyldnwoody44

These GD threads are all starting to blend together... horrible giveaways in our own zone, no "fire" or hitting, no one driving hard to the net, horrible transition game, an inability to score even strength goals (two last night was pretty good for us).... this team just doesn't have it...

At this point I think it is very realistic that we finish 2nd worst overall in the NHL (Columbus is hopeless). Certainly a very good chance of finishing last in the East. Time to sell, sell, sell... Jochen (34 years old) and Boyes (29) are pending UFAs and should be gone prior to the trade deadline. Goose (29) maybe as well (although I like his faceoff ability). I'd condiser trading Leo (31) too if we can find a taker. He's bound to have trade value. We could create some cap space, get some draft picks, and open up some space for some youngsters like Kassian. What will Darcy do???

These GD threads are all starting to blend together... horrible giveaways in our own zone, no "fire" or hitting, no one driving hard to the net, horrible transition game, an inability to score even strength goals (two last night was pretty good for us).... this team just doesn't have it...

At this point I think it is very realistic that we finish 2nd worst overall in the NHL (Columbus is hopeless). Certainly a very good chance of finishing last in the East. Time to sell, sell, sell... Jochen (34 years old) and Boyes (29) are pending UFAs and should be gone prior to the trade deadline. Goose (29) maybe as well (although I like his faceoff ability). I'd condiser trading Leo (31) too if we can find a taker. He's bound to have trade value. We could create some cap space, get some draft picks, and open up some space for some youngsters like Kassian. What will Darcy do???

But that's the great thing about hockey. Rebuilding doesn't have to be that long of a process (unless you're the Oilers). All you have to do is starting getting the dead weight out before July 1st. We'll probably be sellers at the deadline this year not only to cut cap room but also to clear roster spots for our youngsters (Kassian, McNabb, Foligno, Tropp, all guys who deserve a roster spot next October).

There are tons of guys available next summer that can make this team a cup contender. We can build around Vanek, Pommer, Myers. That core is good enough in my opinion. Everyone else is expendable. I don't know why it took me so long to realize this team has no shot at the playoffs, but now I do. It's time to clean house. I like a lot of the guys in Rochester right now, they deserve a shot after the deadline.

But that's the great thing about hockey. Rebuilding doesn't have to be that long of a process (unless you're the Oilers). All you have to do is starting getting the dead weight out before July 1st. We'll probably be sellers at the deadline this year not only to cut cap room but also to clear roster spots for our youngsters (Kassian, McNabb, Foligno, Tropp, all guys who deserve a roster spot next October).

There are tons of guys available next summer that can make this team a cup contender. We can build around Vanek, Pommer, Myers. That core is good enough in my opinion. Everyone else is expendable. I don't know why it took me so long to realize this team has no shot at the playoffs, but now I do. It's time to clean house. I like a lot of the guys in Rochester right now, they deserve a shot after the deadline.

Won't do us much good without significant salary coming off the books.

Also, I believe Lindy Ruff could make the 80's Oilers and Islanders miss the playoffs!

I agree completely. The expensive 2nd and 3rd line forwards (e.g. Boyes) don't bring much above and beyond the younger, hungrier guys like Kassian, Tropp, and Foligno. And, as you pointed out, we have some solid guys to build around so it is not like the cupboard is bare. There are always way more buyers at the deadline than sellers, so we'd be in a very good position to load up on draft picks. And (although I don't have data on this) it seems that often the sellers actually play better after selling while the buyers don't get much of a boost from their acquisitions. Boyes, Goose, and Hecht are all UFA and account for ~$10 million in cap hit this year. Leo has 1 year left at $3 million. Moving those salaries makes a lot of sense.

I agree completely. The expensive 2nd and 3rd line forwards (e.g. Boyes) don't bring much above and beyond the younger, hungrier guys like Kassian, Tropp, and Foligno. And, as you pointed out, we have some solid guys to build around so it is not like the cupboard is bare. There are always way more buyers at the deadline than sellers, so we'd be in a very good position to load up on draft picks. And (although I don't have data on this) it seems that often the sellers actually play better after selling while the buyers don't get much of a boost from their acquisitions. Boyes, Goose, and Hecht are all UFA and account for ~$10 million in cap hit this year. Leo has 1 year left at $3 million. Moving those salaries makes a lot of sense.

Exactly. Regier's job moving forward is simply to create cap space. That's not asking for much, nothing out of the ordinary. His primary job rom now until July is to make cap space. Trades, cuts, whatever. Make sure that you have that 15-20 million of space by July 1st. Because the problem isn't the money anymore as we well know.

+1

Won't do us much good without significant salary coming off the books.

Also, I believe Lindy Ruff could make the 80's Oilers and Islanders miss the playoffs!

Right now the Sabres have about $7.2 mil available going into the off-season. That is with Hecht, Boyes and Gaustad coming off the books. The Sabres best bet is to move Miller and Roy, that would open up another $10.25 million. I would put Pominville with Miller and Roy, I just doubt anyone is going to take that $5.3 mil price tag especially considering he has two more years beyond this one.

Regier has done a fine job f**king this team up financially. Sure glad the "shackles" are off.

This is SO obvious at this point that I hope even Regier will grasp it.

There are two key elements at work here:

1. The current core of the team is hopeless and will never win anything.

2. The Sabres have one of the most impressive groups of prospects they've ever had right now -- Myers, Adam, Kassian, McNabb, etc.

Now would be a great time to dump the veterans (they could have value as depth for contending teams) and building around the young core. A good first step in building a winner is bottoming out -- the same way the first step in getting better is admitting you have a problem. I hope to God this organization isn't still in denial about how bad they are.

This is SO obvious at this point that I hope even Regier will grasp it.

There are two key elements at work here:

1. The current core of the team is hopeless and will never win anything.

2. The Sabres have one of the most impressive groups of prospects they've ever had right now -- Myers, Adam, Kassian, McNabb, etc.

Now would be a great time to dump the veterans (they could have value as depth for contending teams) and building around the young core. A good first step in building a winner is bottoming out -- the same way the first step in getting better is admitting you have a problem. I hope to God this organization isn't still in denial about how bad they are.

+1

Sabres1970, who are all these great free agents that are going to be available this offseason? Especially at forward (our greatest problem area IMO). Outside of Parise, who could still get resigned, the pickings are slim and mostly grizzled old guys.

Sabres1970, who are all these great free agents that are going to be available this offseason? Especially at forward (our greatest problem area IMO). Outside of Parise, who could still get resigned, the pickings are slim and mostly grizzled old guys.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of Parise. But there will always be trade options available over the summer once teams evaluate who's expendable and who's not.

+1

Veteran or rookie, it's hard to imagine they could be doing a worse job than Ruff is doing right now. Maybe a different coach wouldn't be falling back on the injury excuses like Ruff does, maybe a different coach gets this team to rally around the injuries and step up their game. That is the point Terry Pegula just doesn't seem to get. It is not acceptable to ball up in a corner and cry about injuries, not matter how severe, like Lindy and his teams do.

"It's a tough one," said Sabres goalie Jhonas Enroth, who made 36 saves. "We weren't really ready from the start. We didn't play as good as we can or as good as we have to do on the road.".......

"We don't skate hard enough as a forward group," center Derek Roy said. "We've got to get to skating and making plays."

So...maybe they're suffering from coaching injuries.

Nothing !

Lindy has to go. As for people that say that a coaching change doesn't do anything, why have there been almost 200 coaching changes in the league since Lindy's been here then. Lindy's had 14 years to bring a Cup here, times up.

And how many of those coaching changes resulted in a Stanley Cup? Can't be more then 14

Regier has had just about the same amount of time to bring a cup here too. The coach can only work with what hes been given....................

Just the Oilers?

Might want to tell that to fans of the Islanders, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Thrashers/Jets, Coyotes, etc. Some of those teams may have had some recent success, but they have also spent long periods of time trying to fix themselves into competitive teams......

And how many of those coaching changes resulted in a Stanley Cup? Can't be more then 14

Regier has had just about the same amount of time to bring a cup here too. The coach can only work with what hes been given....................

Just the Oilers?

Might want to tell that to fans of the Islanders, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Thrashers/Jets, Coyotes, etc. Some of those teams may have had some recent success, but they have also spent long periods of time trying to fix themselves into competitive teams......

I totally agree with you, and to me, that is what makes it EASIER, in my opinion, to come in and start doing the right things to build a winner, because you have obvious differences in the way the winners do things and the way these perennial losers do things.

Archived