Hit Total: Regehr vs. Other Top 6

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I have posted the running total in various threads, but it now deserves one of it's own for safekeeping.

Regehr: 35 Games 91 Hits

Ehrhoff, Sekera, Myers, Leopold, Gragnani: 154 Games 89 Hits

While I realise there's more to defense than throwing checks night in and night out - That's just plain embarassing!

I have to wonder how long it'll be before Regehr ends up in Lindy's doghouse.

Did you expect any different?

No. I didn't.

You might want to meander to hit totals of defensemen on certain teams in the conference such as Boston, Philly, NY Rangers and see the totals and how they distribute.

I was curious, so I found that:

Mike Weber 30 hits in 10 games (3.0 hits/game compared to 2.6 hits/game for Regehr)

Brayden McNabb 27 hits in 13 games

Those are valid to bring up, but Weber sat the first 17 games and those 2 only are playing because of injury, save the last few games where Gragnani sat healthy.

It isn't that Regehr is a beast, it is that Darcy and Lindy built a D-core of flamers and expect to win with them.

Top teams hit totals for top 6 defensemen:

Boston: Chara 64, Seidenberg 66, Boychuk 58, McQuaid 38, Ference 41, Corvo 11

Philly: Meszaros 86, Coburn 64, Pronger (ouchie), Lilja 27 Timmonen 19, Carle 15

Rangers: Del Zotto 72, Girardi 91, McDonagh 52, Eminger 40, a platoon averaging 1+ per game

Penguins: Orpik 89, Engelland 68, Niskanen 46, Letang 37, Martin 12

Panthers: Garrison 58, Kulikov 52, Jovanovski 32, Gudbranson 33, Weaver 33, Campbell 12

Sabres: Regehr 91, Myers 24, Ehrhoff 23, Sekera 21, Leopold 14. Gragnani 7

Curious further... 247 hits total by our defense in 36 Games Played.

Compare that to Boston (289 in 34GP), Philly (270 in 36GP), Pittsburgh (326 in 37GP), Detroit (261 in 36GP), Minnesota (218 in 39GP)..................

Look at the balance from the top few pairings in the east.. Letang has been out too. I don't even want to start looking at top 6 forwards!!!

I hope Weber stays in, but again, Weber and McNabb have been "desperation" moves as far as Lindy was concerned.

278 hits - Boston

211 hits - Philly

255 hits - NYR

252 hits - Penguins

220 hits - Panthers

180 hits - Buffalo

Hooray math!

and that's with 4 guys from NY, and 5 from Philly missing Pronger and Pit missing Letang a bunch.

OK....had to do it...sorry....most physical Top 6 forward on each team:

NY: Callahan 13 Goals 14 Assists 27 Points 119 Hits

Bos: Lucic 12 Goals 13 Assists 25 Points 78 Hits

Phi: Hartnell 17 Goals 16 Assists 33 Points 68 Hits

Pit: Kunitz 12 Goals 13 Assists 25 Points 75 Hits

Buf: Stafford 6 Goals 13 Assists 19 Points 36 Hits

OH MR HOOOOOPER!!!!!........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvOjPBEWn1I

Fire Lindy,fire lindy,fire lindy,fire lindy,Mr. ruff!

This team makes me wanta tell direct tv to shove center ice up there %@& and give the SPCA my money :cry:

Don't worry. Ted Black has instructed us to remain calm. They will win a Cup by any means available. Here is Ted and Darcy working out a blockbuster trade as we speak. (I really need to go to bed)

Don't worry. Ted Black has instructed us to remain calm. They will win a Cup by any means available. Here is Ted and Darcy working out a blockbuster trade as we speak. (I really need to go to bed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTc3PsW5ghQ&feature=fvwp&NR=1

lol..Ted Black and TP are letting everyone down.They are the ones letting this train wreck move on down the track and there letting it happen with a fn drunk driver! I love the sabres,but i hate this team

I have posted the running total in various threads, but it now deserves one of it's own for safekeeping.

Regehr: 35 Games 91 Hits

Ehrhoff, Sekera, Myers, Leopold, Gragnani: 154 Games 89 Hits

The Sabres, again, this season are near the bottom of the league in hits and blocked shots. It has been a trend for many years now. You didn't need Lucic to show the hockey world how soft the Sabres are, the numbers have proven it over the years.

Just imagine how pathetic we would be if we didn't trade for Regier and if there were never any injuries to play Weber and call up McNabb. Regier isn't perfect, but he's been our best player by far this season followed by Vanek then Pominville. After those members of the core though, I'd venture to say our best players have been the young kids like Adam, Kassian, and McNabb.

Here might be the best stat of them all. You have to be F'n Kidding me..........

Ryan Callahan: 35 Games 119 Hits

Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Stafford, Lieno, Hecht, Boyes, Ennis, Adam: 241 Games 140 Hits

Someone needs to make that sign and post it in the 300 level next Ranger game

Here might be the best stat of them all. You have to be F'n Kidding me..........

Ryan Callahan: 35 Games 119 Hits

Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Stafford, Lieno, Hecht, Boyes, Ennis, Adam: 241 Games 140 Hits

Someone needs to make that sign and post it in the 300 level next Ranger game

make sure it's posted in such a way that his grandmother can see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLzEwtPI2U

*sniff*

the talk of callahan prompts me to say that, at present, he is my favorite player in the nhl. love that guy. would've loved him a whole lot more in the blue and gold.

there's a weird symmetry to the fact that the rangers "took" our heart and soul captain in 2007 (and, yeah, that deal did not work out for them), and now have a heart and soul guy from western new york as their captain.

EDIT: my point in posting was this: while there are many disappointments with this team this year to date, regehr has been everything i had hoped for and maybe a little bit more.

The Sabres, again, this season are near the bottom of the league in hits and blocked shots. It has been a trend for many years now. You didn't need Lucic to show the hockey world how soft the Sabres are, the numbers have proven it over the years.

I knew we were near the bottom of the league in hits, but I wasn't sure about blocked shots. However, after doing some digging, you are absolutely right. I couldn't find team stats on blocked shots but I found individual stats on blocked shots. I looked at the top 30 shot blockers every year from the lockout to the present and only the year after the lockout did we have a premere shot blocker.

05/06 - McKee 1st in league by a lot; Lydman 9th overall

06/07 - Lydman 16th in league; Kalinin 27th

07/08 - Lydman 16th

08/09 - Lydman 11th

09/10 - Zero players in top 30

10/11 - Zero players in top 30

11/12 - Half way through the season and we have zero players in top 30

Is it a coincidence that we have been a poor team since 07/08 and during that span have not had a guy/multiple guys willing to sacrifice the body? Maybe, maybe not.

I knew we were near the bottom of the league in hits, but I wasn't sure about blocked shots. However, after doing some digging, you are absolutely right. I couldn't find team stats on blocked shots but I found individual stats on blocked shots. I looked at the top 30 shot blockers every year from the lockout to the present and only the year after the lockout did we have a premere shot blocker.

05/06 - McKee 1st in league by a lot; Lydman 9th overall

06/07 - Lydman 16th in league; Kalinin 27th

07/08 - Lydman 16th

08/09 - Lydman 11th

09/10 - Zero players in top 30

10/11 - Zero players in top 30

11/12 - Half way through the season and we have zero players in top 30

Is it a coincidence that we have been a poor team since 07/08 and during that span have not had a guy/multiple guys willing to sacrifice the body? Maybe, maybe not.

I think it says alot about willing our D are to actually defend. I thought Regehr would be somewhere up top though. IMHO this backs up the point that we need rid of Sekera/Leopold and use Weber/Mcnabb. I'm sure we have someone in Rochester who's a perfectly servicable 7th (brennan?, his been in the minors for 3 seasons now), if not trade for one.

Myers - Ehrhoff

Regehr - Weber

McNabb - MAG

Or something like that.

I blame Wraith for getting me going deeper into research the past few days. When he brought up the Corsi Number, it was the last straw.

Paul Hamilton (I am pretty sure), said last week that Darcy Regier laughed at the idea of blocked shots being important and that they are the most overrated stat out there. Then we find out about Corsi Numbers, where blocked shots are actually a negative against a player. In the article it states some GM's make signings based on the Sabres' employee's Number system. Some GM's laugh at those who do.

I've tried to up my game when it comes to posting the last few days. People don't like hearing downer stuff, and want to dismiss certain people as being "negative". I'm bringing out the data on team success and their makeup and grit, successful coaches of our best competitors who were available and their detailed team turnarounds, the pathetic impact of the injured Sabres when they ARE in the lineup, and maybe more to come. I'm glad others are looking deeper into what actually goes into making up this team, and the lackluster results we constantly see. If we all try and lift the car off the potential corpse together, maybe we can save it in time.

I blame Wraith for getting me going deeper into research the past few days. When he brought up the Corsi Number, it was the last straw.

Paul Hamilton (I am pretty sure), said last week that Darcy Regier laughed at the idea of blocked shots being important and that they are the most overrated stat out there. Then we find out about Corsi Numbers, where blocked shots are actually a negative against a player. In the article it states some GM's make signings based on the Sabres' employee's Number system. Some GM's laugh at those who do.

I've tried to up my game when it comes to posting the last few days. People don't like hearing downer stuff, and want to dismiss certain people as being "negative". I'm bringing out the data on team success and their makeup and grit, successful coaches of our best competitors who were available and their detailed team turnarounds, the pathetic impact of the injured Sabres when they ARE in the lineup, and maybe more to come. I'm glad others are looking deeper into what actually goes into making up this team, and the lackluster results we constantly see. If we all try and lift the car off the potential corpse together, maybe we can save it in time.

I appreciate that. I just think that fans don't like reading downer stuff when it's unsubstantiated. You can only read so many 'fire Darcy and fire Lindy' posts without anything else thought provoking. This is a 'negative' thread but we're looking at solid numbers that actually give some proof that we are a 'soft' team. I think any Sabre fan can still enjoy the thread because it's got some good points in here that are backed up. It's been a great read trying to kill the remaining few hours left at work before I take off to Vegas next week. Thanks.

It makes sense to do this. Nobody, regardless of the topic, should accept unsubstantiated claims of any kind. The more information and substance you provide for your points the better received they will be. Simply stating Fire Lindy or Darcy makes you look mindless.. I dismiss the point immediately as the ranting of an uninformed lunatic. If you want to make me think about it then provide substance.

I think the reason the Sabres have so many offensive defensemen (and therefore low hit totals) is that their system is based upon the 5 man rush. That's a system, sure. But could it be that we need the 5 man rush because a 3-4 man rush isn't going to work with the skill level we have up front.

The biggest turd the Sabres defense has is their consistent desire to back all the way into the defensive zone right to Miller. McNabb has shown a desire to at least put his hands on a guy at the blue line. Regehr usually at least rides a guy to the outside and then hopefully into the boards.. hard. Weber, less so but he'll be sure to take his best shot at the forward behind the net when he finally catches up to him. As for the rest.. whatever. Gragnani and Sekera are forwards in "D" clothing and Ehrhoff is an offensive defenseman so I'm not going to expect big hits from him and that's fine. It's not a bad thing to have them.. it's a bad thing to have TOO MANY of them. Gragnani and Sekera are useless in my opinion and getting rid of them.. at any price is improving the team.

As far as forwards go... I'm not even seeing Kassian throw his body around and that concerns me. He's shown a good ability to control the puck around the boards but I'm watching him turn away from hits. This doesn't surprise me as most Sabres forwards don't finish checks and I can only hypothesize as to why that is. It's one thing to hit a guy when he has the puck, that's easy. Hitting the guy who just passed the puck is something else and equally, if not more, important. Kaleta is usually good at this but more often than not he's just hitting he boards near the guy. I don't know if he's worried about getting suspended but while it at least slows the passer up it's not the same as hitting the guy.

Oh well.. wait and see.. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over these things... it's just a game and I have no interests in the Buffalo Sabres that will impact my life.

Blocked shots are my biggest pet peeve when describing a defenseman. They pay the goalie to block shots. I remember a few goals in that carolina series that went directly off our defensemen and in. It is a lot different when a forward blocks a shot from the point thought IMO.

I guess I am with Darcy here.

I appreciate that. I just think that fans don't like reading downer stuff when it's unsubstantiated. You can only read so many 'fire Darcy and fire Lindy' posts without anything else thought provoking. This is a 'negative' thread but we're looking at solid numbers that actually give some proof that we are a 'soft' team. I think any Sabre fan can still enjoy the thread because it's got some good points in here that are backed up. It's been a great read trying to kill the remaining few hours left at work before I take off to Vegas next week. Thanks.

I know.....it takes time to research certain aspects in detail enough to put out there. Any long time poster knows my view pretty well, so that gets tiresome, I agree.

Blocked shots are my biggest pet peeve when describing a defenseman. They pay the goalie to block shots. I remember a few goals in that carolina series that went directly off our defensemen and in. It is a lot different when a forward blocks a shot from the point thought IMO.

I think there is also the selfless, gritty aspect to blocking them. A shot block in itself isn't important. But when your team backs up, doesn't go into corners, doesn't hit.....you can assume lack of shot blocking is either a sign of softness, or of a failed system when comparing it to the teams that are at the top of the league.

On 24/7 the other day, I forget which coach said it but he was railing his team for not getting dirty and blocking shots. "I know....it hurts". But it's an attitude. Watching McNabb sell-out to block shots gives me hope.

Blocked shots from forwards away from the net. Great!

Blocked shots by defensemen by the net, I'm with you and Darcy also I guess.

It makes sense to do this. Nobody, regardless of the topic, should accept unsubstantiated claims of any kind. The more information and substance you provide for your points the better received they will be. Simply stating Fire Lindy or Darcy makes you look mindless.. I dismiss the point immediately as the ranting of an uninformed lunatic. If you want to make me think about it then provide substance.

I think the reason the Sabres have so many offensive defensemen (and therefore low hit totals) is that their system is based upon the 5 man rush. That's a system, sure. But could it be that we need the 5 man rush because a 3-4 man rush isn't going to work with the skill level we have up front.

The biggest turd the Sabres defense has is their consistent desire to back all the way into the defensive zone right to Miller. McNabb has shown a desire to at least put his hands on a guy at the blue line. Regehr usually at least rides a guy to the outside and then hopefully into the boards.. hard. Weber, less so but he'll be sure to take his best shot at the forward behind the net when he finally catches up to him. As for the rest.. whatever. Gragnani and Sekera are forwards in "D" clothing and Ehrhoff is an offensive defenseman so I'm not going to expect big hits from him and that's fine. It's not a bad thing to have them.. it's a bad thing to have TOO MANY of them. Gragnani and Sekera are useless in my opinion and getting rid of them.. at any price is improving the team.

As far as forwards go... I'm not even seeing Kassian throw his body around and that concerns me. He's shown a good ability to control the puck around the boards but I'm watching him turn away from hits. This doesn't surprise me as most Sabres forwards don't finish checks and I can only hypothesize as to why that is. It's one thing to hit a guy when he has the puck, that's easy. Hitting the guy who just passed the puck is something else and equally, if not more, important. Kaleta is usually good at this but more often than not he's just hitting he boards near the guy. I don't know if he's worried about getting suspended but while it at least slows the passer up it's not the same as hitting the guy.

Oh well.. wait and see.. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over these things... it's just a game and I have no interests in the Buffalo Sabres that will impact my life.

I hear you. I agree you need offensive defensemen and skill forwards. It is a balance though that the Sabres have seemingly always ignored under Regier/Ruff. That's why I really looked into the competition and how they do it. NY may even be hit heavy, but that is a product of team hustle. Guys like Chara, Del Zotto, Pronger, Letang.......you can have skill and still bring the heat. Myers needs to figure that out if he has it in him, and Leopold and Ehrhoff are big enough men that there should be little excuse for the pitifully low numbers.

Like you point out about Kassian slowing.....it points to the system when Ryan Callahan has 20 less hits than your top 9 forwards combined. The guy is a clutch scorer and a Captain.....not a goon.

Everyone has different reasons for posting. Usually when things are really good or really bad, everyone is friendly here. It's when everyone is trying to determine if we are really bad, or just habitually mediocre that the tension builds.

Archived