1. 1. Lucic at Gaustad

• Win Goose
    • Win Looch
    • Draw
  2. 2. Chara at Regehr

• Win Regehr
    • Win Chara
    • Draw

Well, here it is. the long awaited Boston-Buffalo rematch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ2v3-XuZWg

Right off the faceoff Goose and Looch drop the gloves and lose the lids. I didn;t see a single punch thrown by Goose that landed. I counted 4 Looch punches that found the mark, including one that put Goose off balance and down to end the fight.

A couple comments. Is it me or does Lucic look WAY bigger and broader than Goose? Gaustad is not a small guy but he looked dwarfed by Lucic. And this was a fight with no emotion or energy. Struck me that Goose gave Looch the courtesy of a planned start and Looch gave Goose the courtesy of not wiping the ice up with him. Neither fighter was throwing with any stuffing. Although at the end I thought Lucic put a little extra into the last 2 shots to make sure Gaustad understood it was over. I suspect that if Gaustad jumped Lucic the fight would have went very badly for the good guy. Props to Goose for doing what needed to be done last week. Win to Lucic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOZnrNLCX3Y

Big scrum after Marchand takes a run at Gerbe and Goose belts Marchand. Out of the mess Regehr and Chara pair up and tie up. Looked to me like Regehr got a shot in early while Chara was shaking off his elbow pad. Chara got in a decent shot that put Regehr off balnce and may have landed a second one immediately after. Chara was really bulling Regehr around though. Regehr was really having trouble trying to keep balance. Chara could've put a hurting on Regehr there at the end. I'll call it a win for Chara but only because Chara effectively physically controlled Regehr and bulled him around to good extent. I'm not married to that judgement though and could be talked into a draw.

Stafford and Ference had a go but it was called minors so I won't post it. Was a draw anyway.

If there is more fisticuffs I'll edit and you can re-vote.

How do u see Lucic over Goose? Lucic never landed a punch. I'm sorry you don't win a fight by wrestling somebody. You play it smart. not get crushed by ur opponent and get one good one in. Goose vs. Lucic was a statement. Nobody needed to win and nobody did.

Same for Regehr. He does what he has to but he answers the bell.

Good team building loss tonight.

I agree with Chz on the Lucic Goose fight as far as the punch meter but I voted Lucic simply because he overpowered Goose. No real solid punches landed. Goose comes away intact so not much of a loss. Chara to me just plain overpowered our guy but again I saw not many quality punches land.

I can't watch the L v G fight. Simply. Can. Not.

It was embarrassing and uncomfortable to behold it live (on TV), I can't bear to go through that again. Lucic's body language was like "seriously? WTF, I would turn you into a vegetable, you could grind yourself up and fuel your weak-ass car with yourself. Okay, this is stupid. Okay, whatever, here's a few swings - feel better, now? Whimp..."

Lucic over Goose, but Goose answered the bell and that was the most important part

"Answered the bell"? Uh, no, he had that chance last time in Boston. Today's drama was merely a therapy session for Goose - and Lucic felt all dirty and queasy about it.

How do u see Lucic over Goose? Lucic never landed a punch. I'm sorry you don't win a fight by wrestling somebody. You play it smart. not get crushed by ur opponent and get one good one in. Goose vs. Lucic was a statement. Nobody needed to win and nobody did.

Chz...you will make a good mother and/or kindergarten teacher someday. Maybe you will make an honest man out of someone and he can lay his weary head on your consoling bossom.

"Answered the bell"? Uh, no, he had that chance last time in Boston. Today's drama was merely a therapy session for Goose - and Lucic felt all dirty and queasy about it.

I'm glad Goose called for it, but all Lucic really did is what I will do with my Aunt's dog tomorrow at Thanksgiving. Let him have a courtesy hump on my leg for 15 seconds since he only gets to do it once a year.

I'm glad Goose called for it, but all Lucic really did is what I will do with my Aunt's dog tomorrow at Thanksgiving. Let him have a courtesy hump on my leg for 15 seconds since he only gets to do it once a year.

Good visual analogy :thumbsup:

IMO. I think Marchand is a bigger punk than Lucic. Would love to see someone really cream that %&$!

I don't know how you can look at that fight and say Lucic didn't win. I mean, nobody left the ice bleeding, I guess that's a plus. But Lucic landed at least 5 or 6 good punches compared to Goose getting MAYBE one in.

This. Lucic threw more punch attempts, but they really didn't hit the mark. I'd call it more of a draw.

What I think Goose should have done is attack Lucic right after the faceoff. Drop the stick & gloves and go right after him...none of this agreed-upon "Let's go at it" stuff and give him time to defend himself.

I think losing the game hurts more - this isn't the first time they've come into a big spot, come out flying, then forget to finish. The intensity they showed in the first period never returned. That's how they need to play every game.

If you weren't embarrassed by Goose's "fight", then you'll never understand why the Sabres aren't cup contenders.

What's to be embarrassed about? He lost the fight, so what? Someone had to fight him, Goose took one for the team. It had to be done and it had to be done early. Are you embarrassed because he didn't cheap shot him from behind a la Bertuzzi on Steve Moore? Because he didn't risk a suspension to put Lucic head first into the boards?

Both Lucic and Gaustad knew they were going to fight, and both players knew they HAD to fight. They did it respectfully and within the rules, and more importantly, Goose got it out of the way early and let his team focus on the game, rather than everyone worrying about when ###### was going to hit the fan. It was a good job by Goose. There's nothing to be embarrassed about, and furthermore, relating that fight to the Sabres "not being cup contenders" is about as big of a reach as you can make. Buffalo matched Boston's physicality all game, they stood up for one another, and they took the Stanley Cup Champions to a coin toss.

Two points would have been nice, but beating Lucic in a fight (whether it be a stand up mutual fight like we saw or a dirty street fight) is a pipe dream. The game wasn't about hurting Lucic, and frankly it wasn't about "winning on the scoreboard" either. It was about coming together as a team and putting in a good effort in all areas. They did that.

What's to be embarrassed about? He lost the fight, so what? Someone had to fight him, Goose took one for the team. It had to be done and it had to be done early. Are you embarrassed because he didn't cheap shot him from behind a la Bertuzzi on Steve Moore? Because he didn't risk a suspension to put Lucic head first into the boards?

Both Lucic and Gaustad knew they were going to fight, and both players knew they HAD to fight. They did it respectfully and within the rules, and more importantly, Goose got it out of the way early and let his team focus on the game, rather than everyone worrying about when ###### was going to hit the fan. It was a good job by Goose. There's nothing to be embarrassed about, and furthermore, relating that fight to the Sabres "not being cup contenders" is about as big of a reach as you can make. Buffalo matched Boston's physicality all game, they stood up for one another, and they took the Stanley Cup Champions to a coin toss.

Two points would have been nice, but beating Lucic in a fight (whether it be a stand up mutual fight like we saw or a dirty street fight) is a pipe dream. The game wasn't about hurting Lucic, and frankly it wasn't about "winning on the scoreboard" either. It was about coming together as a team and putting in a good effort in all areas. They did that.

You just hit the nail on the head ...

Let's see what really comes of this.

As for Goose losing the fight ... it seemed like Goose and Lucic texted each other and made arrangements to have this "even the score" dance. It looked quite staged to me.

You just hit the nail on the head ...

Let's see what really comes of this.

As for Goose losing the fight ... it seemed like Goose and Lucic texted each other and made arrangements to have this "even the score" dance. It looked quite staged to me.

?????? It was staged before the faceoff.... The announcers even called it. It was obvious to every single person that was going to happen. Except you I guess?

?????? It was staged before the faceoff.... The announcers even called it. It was obvious to every single person that was going to happen. Except you I guess?

Staged in exactly how you described it, but set up by Goose and Lucic long before anyone else realized it was going to happen.

Staged also in that it would be a stretch, for me anyway, to call it a fight. Just enough punches thrown to make it seem kind of fight like.

This. Lucic threw more punch attempts, but they really didn't hit the mark. I'd call it more of a draw.

Watch the video again and count the times each player makes contact. Lucic hit Goose at least three times and I'm assuming a fourth that put Goose of balance to end the fight. Looch most definitely did make contact. Can't say the same for Goose. Pretty sure each punch he threw ended up short.

Although you make good points for the team to go forward with this fight should not have happened in a rematch game! There should have been something done ASAP! Sheesh! Lindy played on the Sabres and wouldn't have allowed that to happen when he was playing or the players he played with!

Although you make good points for the team to go forward with this fight should not have happened in a rematch game! There should have been something done ASAP! Sheesh! Lindy played on the Sabres and wouldn't have allowed that to happen when he was playing or the players he played with!

I think we all agree with you there. But that's somewhat my point.. if they were going to do something, it should have happened right away. Many have described the fight as looking "staged" and such, because essentially it was. There wasn't the heat of the moment type of emotion or intensity that would have been there had they fought when the actual hit occurred. The fight was more of just saving face, in a way. So they went at it 90 seconds in and the WHOLE situation was behind them. They should have done something immediately after Miller got hit -- they didn't. The opportunity came and went. So instead of making the rematch into a street fight, waiting for the right time to catch Lucic with a cheap shot or something, or waiting for the right time to start a brawl, both men went out there knowing they were going to fight, get it over with, and move on from the whole ordeal.

Basically, Goose had to fight him just to do something. But it's not like they went into the game with the mindset "oh we have to hurt Lucic!! if he doesn't leave the ice bleeding then we've failed!!" or something like that. The time to do that had already passed, and they knew it. After the fight, it was really just another hockey game, just a more intense one because the defending cup champs are a good measuring stick to see where we're at. Buffalo played with playoff-like intensity for most of the game and damn near won it.

He probably was poked in the eye ...

In the scrum for the last drumstick yesterday.

My Uncle carved up the dark meat yesterday.......no whole drumstick. To top it off, I visited some friends from out of town on the way there and they had me taste test a sliver of turkey before an hour+ ride. Cruel......

Archived