Did last night's win help Miller get out of his slump?

Mike Oxhurtz

Did last night's win help Miller get out of his slump?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Did last night's win help Miller get out of his slump?

Did last night's win help Miller get out of his slump? I know fans were mockingly cheering Miller after making a save after giving up 4 goals. But, Miller was able to hang in there and help the team get the win. I don't know if he's out of his slump yet, but hopefully the win gave him back some confidence.

Did last night's win help Miller get out of his slump? I know fans were mockingly cheering Miller after making a save after giving up 4 goals. But, Miller was able to hang in there and help the team get the win. I don't know if he's out of his slump yet, but hopefully the win gave him back some confidence.

It's too early to tell, but I'm glad Ruff kept Miller in there throughout the whole game. If Ruff would have pulled Miller again, IMO that really would have shattered his confidence.

What would really help Miller's confidence is if our D would wake the F*** up in front of him. His style of goaltending works very well when his D is doing their part... makes him look like trash when they're not. Even moreso than a Hasek type goaltender/acrobat I think.

No. He'd need a really good game to bust out of the slump, and allowing 5 goals (even if they weren't all his fault) just isn't a good game.

I'm not the biggest Miller fan in Buffalo, but I absolutely hate the fans giving him Bronx cheers. WTF is that about? Did Miller do something to us? Did we forget that he stole TWO games for us in last year's first round? I don't get it. Effort has never been a problem with Miller. Out of every Sabre we've had in the last 10 years, would you say anyone has taken their job more seriously? Why are we so eager to come down on this guy?

Miller has struggled early this season but the guy clearly works his ass off. Maybe the fans could take a deep breath and stop being douche bags.

here's my thoughts on the 5 goals scored on Miller last night.

Goal #1 - Flood: Bad giveaway by Sekera and almost no effort from him or Myers to make a play. Miller could have made a save, but it was Flood all alone because nobody picked him up. Sekera and Myers need to work on their communication.

Goal #2 - Little: Bad giveaway on a weak clearing attempt by Leopold, and Regehr was caught watching. Miller had no chance.

Goal #3 - Glass: Myers and Sekera watch as Glass puts in his own rebound after skating between them. Miller makes the initial save, but Big Bird bumps him in the crease and he can't make the second save. Again, Sekera and Myers were not communicating.

Goal #4 - Little PPG: Miller, Leopold, and Regehr fail to control the bounce off the boards and nobody picks up Little. Miller is out of position and unaware of where the puck was. Miller should have stayed in the net.

Goal #5 - Byfuglien: :wallbash: I have no idea what Sekera and Myers were doing on this one, but bad communication AGAIN. Byfuglien is money on the break-away, and it was just awful to let him go in alone like that.

The difference between this game and the game Nov 2nd Vs Philly is that the Sabres scored. Bad defense all around. Myers had a terrible game and is playing dumb hockey. He took a stupid penalty in the 3rd period to end our Power Play when we were trying to tie it up. I wouldn't go so far as to bench him, but I would take him off the power play and get him off the line with Sekera. Gragnani and Erhoff were the only D-men that weren't on the ice when Winnipeg scored, but they were sloppy too.

I guess my feelings are that if Miller had been playing well before this game nobody would even bring it up.

No. He'd need a really good game to bust out of the slump, and allowing 5 goals (even if they weren't all his fault) just isn't a good game.

I'm not the biggest Miller fan in Buffalo, but I absolutely hate the fans giving him Bronx cheers. WTF is that about? Did Miller do something to us? Did we forget that he stole TWO games for us in last year's first round? I don't get it. Effort has never been a problem with Miller. Out of every Sabre we've had in the last 10 years, would you say anyone has taken their job more seriously? Why are we so eager to come down on this guy?

Miller has struggled early this season but the guy clearly works his ass off. Maybe the fans could take a deep breath and stop being douche bags.

exactly. We're starting to sound like Philly Fans.

Myers had a terrible game and is playing dumb hockey. He took a stupid penalty in the 3rd period to end our Power Play when we were trying to tie it up. I wouldn't go so far as to bench him, but I would take him off the power play and get him off the line with Sekera. Gragnani and Erhoff were the only D-men that weren't on the ice when Winnipeg scored, but they were sloppy too.

I guess my feelings are that if Miller had been playing well before this game nobody would even bring it up.

Myers sucessful attempt to keep the puck in and his point shot lead directly to two goals for the Sabres last night.

here's my thoughts on the 5 goals scored on Miller last night.

Goal #1 - Flood: Bad giveaway by Sekera and almost no effort from him or Myers to make a play. Miller could have made a save, but it was Flood all alone because nobody picked him up. Sekera and Myers need to work on their communication.

Goal #2 - Little: Bad giveaway on a weak clearing attempt by Leopold, and Regehr was caught watching. Miller had no chance.

Goal #3 - Glass: Myers and Sekera watch as Glass puts in his own rebound after skating between them. Miller makes the initial save, but Big Bird bumps him in the crease and he can't make the second save. Again, Sekera and Myers were not communicating.

Goal #4 - Little PPG: Miller, Leopold, and Regehr fail to control the bounce off the boards and nobody picks up Little. Miller is out of position and unaware of where the puck was. Miller should have stayed in the net.

Goal #5 - Byfuglien: :wallbash: I have no idea what Sekera and Myers were doing on this one, but bad communication AGAIN. Byfuglien is money on the break-away, and it was just awful to let him go in alone like that.

The difference between this game and the game Nov 2nd Vs Philly is that the Sabres scored. Bad defense all around. Myers had a terrible game and is playing dumb hockey. He took a stupid penalty in the 3rd period to end our Power Play when we were trying to tie it up. I wouldn't go so far as to bench him, but I would take him off the power play and get him off the line with Sekera. Gragnani and Erhoff were the only D-men that weren't on the ice when Winnipeg scored, but they were sloppy too.

#4 Why didn't Roy intercept the pass? It floated right past him.

#5 Sekera thought that Buff was going on a change, leaving SekeraMyer to double team the puck carrier. Bad choice.

Undecided.

Miller just looked bad last night...bad like I've never seen him look. He was flopping and jerky and he looked uncomfortable and nervous.

I do have some hope that he will right his ship and return to his zen-like form, but I just don't know when.

Undecided.

Miller just looked bad last night...bad like I've never seen him look. He was flopping and jerky and he looked uncomfortable and nervous.

I do have some hope that he will right his ship and return to his zen-like form, but I just don't know when.

It is hard to look good when professional hockey players get to shoot uncontested shots inside 8 ft. Generally they score.

It is hard to look good when professional hockey players get to shoot uncontested shots inside 8 ft. Generally they score.

True. But, c'mon...you've got to admit, Miller just didn't look like Miller. I could almost feel his discombobulation and confusion through the tv. I'm not saying he was sucky to the 10th power, all I'm saying is that he is not himself. You can see it.

True. But, c'mon...you've got to admit, Miller just didn't look like Miller. I could almost feel his discombobulation and confusion through the tv. I'm not saying he was sucky to the 10th power, all I'm saying is that he is not himself. You can see it.

To be clear, he looked bad. But I thought that was the #1 reason why.

It is a gift to be able to shoot from there.

Undecided.

This is a chicken/egg thing. Until the D gets right in front of him, Miller will look shaky and until Miller is Miller, the D is going to look disjointed.

I am confident Miller will turn it around. But what I saw from Sekera and Myers last nite was not AHL quality.

If Miller hadn't been pulled his previous start he would have been pulled Tuesday. It got a point where every time the Jets were in the Sabres zone I expected them to score. I'm not how much positive Miller can take out of the that start. It will be interesting to see Lindy's plan for the weekend. I think Boston is the tougher opponent so it might be telling to see which goalie gets the start Saturday on the road and which gets the home game against the Sens.

If Miller hadn't been pulled his previous start he would have been pulled Tuesday.

I don't thinks so. Four of those goals last night should have been goals. There is no other way to think about them in my mind.

The game against Philly was a different in that Miller got beat on the same good shot twice that really aren't normally goals.

If Miller hadn't been pulled his previous start he would have been pulled Tuesday. It got a point where every time the Jets were in the Sabres zone I expected them to score. I'm not how much positive Miller can take out of the that start. It will be interesting to see Lindy's plan for the weekend. I think Boston is the tougher opponent so it might be telling to see which goalie gets the start Saturday on the road and which gets the home game against the Sens.

I think if the Jets fourth goal that was waved off had been allowed, that would have been curtains for Miller. I was in disbelief. Miller owes his offense big time because without them putting up 6 goals, he was losing his job. Sure, the defense didn't play that well, but that's the whole point of having a goaltender... if defense was in perfect position every rush and never made a mistake, Kevin Sylvester could suit up and look good. Miller BARELY got the job done. Although I saw Enroth's back-to-back starts more of a "he's hot, let's see what he can do" than an legitimate "goaltending controversy," things are really starting to get interesting now.

I think if the Jets fourth goal that was waved off had been allowed, that would have been curtains for Miller.

That is a goal only in handball.

I was in disbelief. Miller owes his offense big time because without them putting up 6 goals, he was losing his job.

What does he owe his defense?

Sure, the defense didn't play that well, but that's the whole point of having a goaltender... if defense was in perfect position every rush and never made a mistake, Kevin Sylvester could suit up and look good. Miller BARELY got the job done. Although I saw Enroth's back-to-back starts more of a "he's hot, let's see what he can do" than an legitimate "goaltending controversy," things are really starting to get interesting now.

Miller aside, four of the Winnipeg goals should have been goals. Even High school players should have scored those goals, regardless of who was in net. Maybe it looked different on TV. Sekera and Myers had a brutal night defensively.

Did anyone listen to Miller's post game? He was a much humbler fellow. This did nothing for his confidence. He admitted he is not playing as well as he should. Miller is going through things that we can't analyze, he is not himself, time will tell if he can recover but this game did nothing to help him. The most it gave him was game feeling again. Roy's threshold for getting his legs back was 10-15 games, Millers is 20-25 so its going to be a little bit, look for normal/real Miller to appear in December with brief appearances in November... that is the Miller forecast for the next month.

I don't thinks so. Four of those goals last night should have been goals. There is no other way to think about them in my mind.

The game against Philly was a different in that Miller got beat on the same good shot twice that really aren't normally goals.

One on one with a shooter is supposed to be to Miller's advantage. It's what he gets paid the big money for. Twice he was beat one on one. Another he was too busy watching watching the guy behind the net and another he was on his knees too far over on a shot wide of the net. He took himself out of the play.

Right now Miller just isn't playing to the level he should be and the level this team needs him to be at. He is in a slump and Tuesday didn't help.

I don't think so, but it's sort of a silly poll, since we have no way of knowing until we see his next game. Is all he needed one victory to snap out of it? Or will he continue to struggle? When it comes to a positional goalie like Miller, an overhauled D-core has a much bigger effect on his game. I suspect that Miller will be back to his Venzina ways once this D starts to gel.

Did anyone listen to Miller's post game? He was a much humbler fellow. This did nothing for his confidence. He admitted he is not playing as well as he should. Miller is going through things that we can't analyze, he is not himself, time will tell if he can recover but this game did nothing to help him. The most it gave him was game feeling again. Roy's threshold for getting his legs back was 10-15 games, Millers is 20-25 so its going to be a little bit, look for normal/real Miller to appear in December with brief appearances in November... that is the Miller forecast for the next month.

What are you basing this on? Not trying to be a jerk, I would just like to know why you think so.

One on one with a shooter is supposed to be to Miller's advantage. It's what he gets paid the big money for. Twice he was beat one on one. Another he was too busy watching watching the guy behind the net and another he was on his knees too far over on a shot wide of the net. He took himself out of the play.

Right now Miller just isn't playing to the level he should be and the level this team needs him to be at. He is in a slump and Tuesday didn't help.

Good post. I agree.

They should have been goals and they were. You could have put Enroth or Sawchuck in there with a 16 yo in Juniors shooting ...they should be goals.

Maybe the shooter misfires, or the goalie gets lucky guessing. But there is no read on a shooter from 8 ft out on a one-timer.

Archived