Favorite Sabres donnybrooks

Weave

Let's see some of everyone's favorite fights.

The May-Ray years were a target rich time. And Brad May is probably my all time fav Sabres tough guy. Here's a dandy from back then. I don't know how those guys kept their facial structure throwing bombs around like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN8jELn1Gc&feature=related

And here's a classic from Larry Playfair during his heavyweight champp era. Urban rumor had it that he hit Nilan so hard he broke Nilan's helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pko_dABNcc8&feature=related

Post up some of the fights you remember best.

All of Weave's are excellent. They also were during the brawling era (which also was excellent). But for that reason, I do discount those fights. I'm old enough to remember them (f, that sux), and I appreciate even more what the Sabres did against Ottawa in 2007 as a result. Liger's got it.

That's the gold standard for me. That was awesome. Lindy going nuts, Ottawa being completely effing stupid enough to put their fancy line out when the Sabs had last change; Marty gaming for Emery even though it was a sure ass-kicking, everything. That was teammate-for-teammate, and not in the '70s, either.

I definitely can understand the nostalgia for '70s fights, especially with some of the guys the Sabs had. Or even '90s fights (Ray knocking Kyte out in one comes to mind). But that team effort--ordered by Ruff and relished by Kaleta and Peters--wow, I loved every second of it.

All of Weave's are excellent. They also were during the brawling era (which also was excellent). But for that reason, I do discount those fights. I'm old enough to remember them (f, that sux), and I appreciate even more what the Sabres did against Ottawa in 2007 as a result. Liger's got it.

That's the gold standard for me. That was awesome. Lindy going nuts, Ottawa being completely effing stupid enough to put their fancy line out when the Sabs had last change; Marty gaming for Emery even though it was a sure ass-kicking, everything. That was teammate-for-teammate, and not in the '70s, either.

I definitely can understand the nostalgia for 70s fights, especially with some of the guys the Sabs had. Or even 90s fights (Ray knocking Kyte out in one comes to mind). But that team effort--ordered by Ruff and relished by Kaleta and Peters--wow, I loved every second of it.

Quitcher chatterin' on like an old cat lady and post a vid for cryin' out loud.

:P

Who never gets mentioned as one of Buffalo's greatest fighters is Danny Gare.

Danny Gare was probably the best fighter per pound that Buffalo ever had.

Gare would stand toe to toe with guys twice his size.

I can't say I remember this fight but this is what you would get from #18.

Here he takes on Clark Gillies.

In today's terms that would be like Derek Roy trading blows with Milan Lucic.

Gare was a Great fighter and probably could have been a pro boxer IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZOKnnKXNuA

Who never gets mentioned as one of Buffalo's greatest fighters is Danny Gare.

Danny Gare was probably the best fighter per pound that Buffalo ever had.

Gare would stand toe to toe with guys twice his size.

I can't say I remember this fight but this is what you would get from #18.

Here he takes on Clark Gillies.

In today's terms that would be like Derek Roy trading blows with Milan Lucic.

Gare was a Great fighter and probably could have been a pro boxer IMO.

Searching youtube, there are quite a few Gare fights, and he's scrapping with bigtime old school fighters in nearly all of them. Hard to believe that little guy would drop em against the same guys Larry Playfair fought a couple years later.

And who could forget this entertaining 5 minutes of chaos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMOU4Ogzb5I&feature=related

I remember it, but it's unwatchable. Literally--I cannot get it to load. Sometimes that happens with YouTube vids on here, but I can't even get it to load on YouTube's site. I know, quit my bitchin' and post a fight, right? So, I'm looking for a Sabres goalie against Richard Sevigny, but it's not around--either because it didn't happen except for in my mind's eye, or it wasn't recorded (on tape or otherwise). Yet, I swear, I think this happened. Anyone?

I remember it, but it's unwatchable. Literally--I cannot get it to load. Sometimes that happens with YouTube vids on here, but I can't even get it to load on YouTube's site. I know, quit my bitchin' and post a fight, right? So, I'm looking for a Sabres goalie against Richard Sevigny, but it's not around--either because it didn't happen except for in my mind's eye, or it wasn't recorded (on tape or otherwise). Yet, I swear, I think this happened. Anyone?

That's weird. Plays OK for me.

Hockeyfights.com database lists Sevigny as having two career fights. One with Billy Smith and the other with Clint Malarchuck when he played for the Nords. No Sabres on his card.

Searching youtube, there are quite a few Gare fights, and he's scrapping with bigtime old school fighters in nearly all of them. Hard to believe that little guy would drop em against the same guys Larry Playfair fought a couple years later.

:) He would work those big guys inside. Just amazing.

That's weird. Plays OK for me.

Hockeyfights.com database lists Sevigny as having two career fights. One with Billy Smith and the other with Clint Malarchuck when he played for the Nords. No Sabres on his card.

I know. Other sites list more Sevigny fights, but none with Sabres. This must be what GWB would call a misrememberation.

I definitely can understand the nostalgia for '70s fights, especially with some of the guys the Sabs had. Or even '90s fights (Ray knocking Kyte out in one comes to mind). But that team effort--ordered by Ruff and relished by Kaleta and Peters--wow, I loved every second of it.

I think that was Brad May in Winnipeg if we are thinking of the same fight.

I have a Danny Gare and Stan Johnathan fight on dvd. I need to figure out how to upload it. Those guys could really throw.

And who could forget this entertaining 5 minutes of chaos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMOU4Ogzb5I&feature=related

Holy crap, an Andrei Trefilov sighting. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvHOtS6L36Q

Always been a boogeyman fan, but this fight is one of my fav's for 2 reasons:

1) Stojanov's got 4 inches on him and Boughner still lands his share without being a rag doll.

2) Synchronicity of the fight. Boughner's ducking and dodging was fantastic.

Archived