Craig Rivet: Elmira Jackals

dEnnis the Menace

Craig Rivet signs with:

Elmira? :blink: :blink:

Wow. I guess he still has the burn to play. I'm hoping it is a player-oach type scenario and he's looking to break into coaching. But I suppose it might just be that he still itches to play that badly.

I would imagine he'll have a few punks wanting to see if he's still a badass. that's gotta suck.

Wow. I guess he still has the burn to play. I'm hoping it is a player-oach type scenario and he's looking to break into coaching. But I suppose it might just be that he still itches to play that badly.

I would imagine he'll have a few punks wanting to see if he's still a badass. that's gotta suck.

Two thoughts come to mind.

Like you I thought transition to player coach,

But also Anahiem's D is a mess. (Is Elmira still Ducks?)

Sbisa-Geurin-Brookbank-Fowler have about 1 NHL season combined.

Lydman's still out. Beauchemin looked slow last year in Toronto.

...he still looks slow.

Two thoughts come to mind.

Like you I thought transition to player coach,

But also Anahiem's D is a mess. (Is Elmira still Ducks?)

Sbisa-Geurin-Brookbank-Fowler have about 1 NHL season combined.

Lydman's still out. Beauchemin looked slow last year in Toronto.

...he still looks slow.

Still, he'd have to go Elmira -> ? -> Anaheim...I really don't see it happening.

Still, he'd have to go Elmira -> ? -> Anaheim...I really don't see it happening.

It's a slim chance. But still a chance.

Anahiem doesn't have a RH defensemen that should be in the NHL.

(Geurin is 28, Brookbank 31 are the Righties, and these guys are career #7's at best.)

I wonder if Shaone Morrison watched the game in Helsinki thinking, "Geez, I'd be top pair on the Ducks.)

He could be called directly from Elmira to Anaheim, no need to go through Syracuse. It could be that Syracuse is at it's max of non-development players (260 games or something like that). Stashing him in the ECHL for now may just be due to the roster restrictions in the AHL.

It's a slim chance. But still a chance.

Anahiem doesn't have a RH defensemen that should be in the NHL.

(Geurin is 28, Brookbank 31 are the Righties, and these guys are career #7's at best.)

I wonder if Shaone Morrison watched the game in Helsinki thinking, "Geez, I'd be top pair on the Ducks.)

If Morrisonn could be top pair for the Ducks, then that top line for them is gonna have to score and stop shots.

FWIW Gleason had them #12 in the "power rankings"

He could be called directly from Elmira to Anaheim, no need to go through Syracuse. It could be that Syracuse is at it's max of non-development players (260 games or something like that). Stashing him in the ECHL for now may just be due to the roster restrictions in the AHL.

He would need a contract to go to Anaheim.

Really it makes sense if Anaheim wants to see if Rivet can play and is in shape to have their ECHL affiliate to sign him to a direct contract.

The Ducks only have room for one more contract in their organization because of the 50 player contract limit, so signing Rivet without some sort of tryout would be dumb.

Just speculating, but maybe Craig Rivet is simply not good enough to play in the NHL (and hasn't been for the better part of 2 years) so he signed with a minor league team, and there's nothing more to it.

I would think there would be some value for him on an AHL team. Being in the ECHL, which I watch on a regular basis here in Cincinnati, he will absolutely dominate his competition simply by not make mistakes every single shift.

Just speculating, but maybe Craig Rivet is simply not good enough to play in the NHL (and hasn't been for the better part of 2 years) so he signed with a minor league team, and there's nothing more to it.

You never know unless he takes the ice....

It is an unusual signing for a development league.

Wow. Maybe I should invite him over for dinner to welcome him to the neighborhood. He must REALLY want to play. Must have had to swallow really hard to sign that contract. Everything I have seen says he signed a normal players contract, so, assuming the Shackles still have dual affiliations with Syracuse and Binghamton, the sens and ducks could be destinations.

If one of the AHL or NHL franchises sponsored the contract, it would be a three way contract with a set pay for each level. If it is a straight up ECHL franchise, than either of the affiliates could call him up - they just need to negotiate a contract.

Edit: to clarify, if it's an ECHL contract only, any AHL or NHL team can sign him, not just the ones the shackles are affiliated with.

Wow. Maybe I should invite him over for dinner to welcome him to the neighborhood. He must REALLY want to play. Must have had to swallow really hard to sign that contract. Everything I have seen says he signed a normal players contract, so, assuming the Shackles still have dual affiliations with Syracuse and Binghamton, the sens and ducks could be destinations.

If one of the AHL or NHL franchises sponsored the contract, it would be a three way contract with a set pay for each level. If it is a straight up ECHL franchise, than either of the affiliates could call him up - they just need to negotiate a contract.

good nugget of info, thanks for that. I go to a lot of B-Sens game (despite the fact I work in Elmira, I like goin to binghamton instead...). It'd be cool to see him play with some of the guys there.

Archived