Sabres cut down further

tom webster

I think I can come up with the 16 forwards, who is the 8th defenseman and 3rd goalie? Also, interesting to note that Persson has to clear waivers.

They're including the guys who were waived but still have to clear waivers. So you answered your own question there on the 8th d-man. The goalie is MacIntyre.

Also, Persson's out of his entry level deal now, so yeah, he's now subject to waivers.

I want to see Adam take the trip to Europe at least.

I think Ellis.

I have been curious to see what happens to Adam with Roy being a little banged up but from Roy's Twitter he says "Feeling good bros Thanx for all the tweets I'll be on the ice with the boys tomorrow #wheeling&sniping" so I guess it will be interesting to see what the lines shake out to Friday in Washington if our #1 center is returning.

I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view here because I think the question is incorrect. Per The Buffalo News Sabres blog, there are currently 25 guys in Sabres training camp. One is Paul Szczechura who is injured and is either on IR or waived as the Sabres could exceed his cap hit and roster spot if he were on IR. That leaves Drew MacIntyre who will be taking the trip to Europe as the third goalie. So, if the Sabres have 23 people with a goalie exception for the European trip, which would mean they are in full cap and roster compliance. So, why do either of Adam or Ellis have to get sent down? I would think neither one gets sent down and Adam plays while Hecht is hurt and once Hecht is back, they have a couple of healthy scratches, right? Maybe my math is incorrect or my understanding of the CBA (likely the latter), but it would appear that a choice between Adam and Ellis does not really exist.

I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view here because I think the question is incorrect. Per The Buffalo News Sabres blog, there are currently 25 guys in Sabres training camp. One is Paul Szczechura who is injured and is either on IR or waived as the Sabres could exceed his cap hit and roster spot if he were on IR. That leaves Drew MacIntyre who will be taking the trip to Europe as the third goalie. So, if the Sabres have 23 people with a goalie exception for the European trip, which would mean they are in full cap and roster compliance. So, why do either of Adam or Ellis have to get sent down? I would think neither one gets sent down and Adam plays while Hecht is hurt and once Hecht is back, they have a couple of healthy scratches, right? Maybe my math is incorrect or my understanding of the CBA (likely the latter), but it would appear that a choice between Adam and Ellis does not really exist.

The thing with Adam is that it is silly to carry him if he isn't going to play.

I think he showed enough Sat. night with his reach, that he can bring size, possession and a nice shot to a line.

He's going to have up and down games ....but why go with the safe choice this early?

Ellis will clear waivers because they put a poison pill in his contract for the second year, (1 way)

I could def see Ellis, Adam, and McCormick all make the trip to Eurpope. It's probably a good idea to carry one more body than usual over to Europe.

I'm pretty certain that Ellis goes down to Rochester as soon as the team is back stateside. As mentioned earlier, Ellis was signed for 4th line depth and veteran leadership in Rochester. He's only playing in the NHL in the event of injuries to a grinder.

I could def see Ellis, Adam, and McCormick all make the trip to Eurpope. It's probably a good idea to carry one more body than usual over to Europe.

I'm pretty certain that Ellis goes down to Rochester as soon as the team is back stateside. As mentioned earlier, Ellis was signed for 4th line depth and veteran leadership in Rochester. He's only playing in the NHL in the event of injuries to a grinder.

He's a great player to have in the organization. He's such a hard worker. Skates hard, digs pucks, plays smart, he's a grinder, but it is in no way easy to get the puck from him, or if the other team has it he's going to keep coming.

That's exactly what is going to happen. Once they're back, they'll go back to a roster of 22, maybe even 21 (only carrying the 7th defenseman). They'll want to bank as much cap space as possible for any moves later in the year. Carrying a full 23 would get in the way of that.

He's a great player to have in the organization. He's such a hard worker. Skates hard, digs pucks, plays smart, he's a grinder, but it is in no way easy to get the puck from him, or if the other team has it he's going to keep coming.

Agreed. And he was re-signed to instill those qualities in our prospects in Rochester.

I think this will eventually happen. I'm just not that impressed with Adam to date. I think a half year in Rochester will only help him. He will be the first call-up in case of injury and perhaps by January he may be ready for prime time. Meanwhile a guy like Ellis will never hurt your team. And McCormick...well, he's just McCormick. You know exactly what you're getting. No surprises there.

I like him as a call-up. No problem with him stepping right in when the injury bug hits and you need a guy to outwork the other team when everyone is gassed mid-season.

But teams don't start the season tired.

I guess as much as I admire and respect his work ethic, I don't think he adds anything to an NHL roster. He'll outwork anyone on the ice but IMO he can't really do anything that wins games in the process. He just doesn't have the talent to back up the effort. I see him as just a 4th liner injury fill in, nothing more. I'd rather see a prospect get the call up for any other role.

I guess as much as I admire and respect his work ethic, I don't think he adds anything to an NHL roster. He'll outwork anyone on the ice but IMO he can't really do anything that wins games in the process. He just doesn't have the talent to back up the effort. I see him as just a 4th liner injury fill in, nothing more. I'd rather see a prospect get the call up for any other role.

I agree with this.

Except, I don't think Adam should be up unless he is actually going to be playing. If they want to carry a healthy scratch nightly, it should be Ellis. He carries a good work ethic and experience, which is great for the locker room - but this would also serve an even greater purpose with the Amerks for the younger guys. I would rather see the younger guys like Kassian, Tropp, or Foligno get called up during the season to fill in. If it is playoffs, then I think Ellis should get the callup.

Ellis and Adam will go to Europe in case someone gets hurt.

If we are healthy, Ellis will go down when they get back.

Adam will too unless he gets a chance over there and really lights it up.

Any injury over a game or two and one or the other will come up, depending on the style of player who got hurt.

Because of the cap the Sabres will only carry one extra skater, a dman.

They will often dress seven D if healthy.

Gragnani will be playing the point on the power play and up front otherwise in those games.

McCormick will be the bubble guy as the 12th forward.

Archived