Brendan Shanahan, NHL's new Sheriff

X. Benedict

Is Shanny going to do this for every suspension?

That would be cool for fans.....clear, public, and explanatory.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=124228

If this is plan, it is a huge improvement over the lack of transparency that was Colin Campbell.

idk but he should. That made a lot of sense and at least it sets some sort of precedent for players, coaches and fans to reference. Basically I think the hits need to be based off of case law and right there Shanahan explains his reasons for why its illegal and that can be reused and adapted as years go by. Great Job and thanks for the Vid.

Brendan Shanahan has handed out 2 suspensions thus far as the new sheriff in town. He suspended Jordan Shelly for 10 games total although 5 are preseason action. I gotta say that hits like that have no place in hockey and its not being physical its just running someone over for the sake of it. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376445 and Video of Hit

and he suspended Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for 4 preseason bouts and 1 regular season game. The Ledblond hit he released a video for his logic behind the suspension.

So I think he is doing a resonable job and actually not sucking like campbell but idk how much suspending players for preseason games means anything let alone what happens when a more notable player steps over the line or gets injured. I know we have discussed this before and if chz wants to merge this ok but I wasnt sure were to put this at all. Shanahan is certainly more apt to hand out longer suspensions if you ask me.

this is going to be standard protocol. soon after he took the job, it was announced that there would be detailed explanations behind each and every disciplinary action from now on, so that the public, players, and everyone else is on the same page. so yay.

this is going to be standard protocol. soon after he took the job, it was announced that there would be detailed explanations behind each and every disciplinary action from now on, so that the public, players, and everyone else is on the same page. so yay.

It is a great move.

It is a bold move. As has often been the case in the last ten years, the NHL is leading the "big 4" (why do we have to consider the NBA? or even MLB?) in something. FIrst, it was online access to audio (free even during the dial-up age); then, it was MORE online access (anyone remember the free games on Yahoo!?); there was an online FULL rulebook (NFL still ain't there); the NHL teams put their media guides online; etc. This is a another bold move.

But is it a good move? Or is it just going to stimulate more accusations of favoritism, etc.? If a Ranger or Red Wing or Devil isn't suspended, and a Shark or Canuck is, well, is the video explanation going to be enough for the fans? Because this is the NHL, and there WILL be favoritism. There always has been, and always will be. Often that involves star players--who got hit or who delivered the hit. I really don't want that. Is the next suspension ten games on Kaleta because he hit a Sedin? Or is the next suspension on Cooke 2 games because he hit Kaleta? I want to see uniform decisions before I start congratulating Shanny on stuff.

Just throwing the other side out there.

Loved the video explanation.

Immediately went to the Mike Richards hit on Connolly.

Timmy's back was to Richards before (but not well before) the hit, he did not put himself in this position immediately prior to or simultaneously to the check.

Richards has time to avoid the check completely, or at the very least minimize the contact.

Richards did not take the onus to ensure his opponent was not defenseless.

Connolly was injured on the play. Richards does not have a history of suspensions (although David Booth has to be wondering why).

Shelley gets five preseason games and five regular season games. Richards gets five minutes (later, for elbowing Kaleta).

Too many circumstances are identical to make me believe the difference was Richards' lack of suspension history, or the fact he wasn't following Tim exactly the same way Shelley was following the Leaf.

I hope this means the league is finally ready to set consistent standards.

I hope Shanahan's comments of "Shelley is not a good player," "It was preseason," "It was in Toronto," and "Mr. Snider doesn't get quite as angry about things when it's not the playoffs" didn't end up on the cutting room floor.

It is a bold move. As has often been the case in the last ten years, the NHL is leading the "big 4" (why do we have to consider the NBA? or even MLB?) in something. FIrst, it was online access to audio (free even during the dial-up age); then, it was MORE online access (anyone remember the free games on Yahoo!?); there was an online FULL rulebook (NFL still ain't there); the NHL teams put their media guides online; etc. This is a another bold move.

But is it a good move? Or is it just going to stimulate more accusations of favoritism, etc.? If a Ranger or Red Wing or Devil isn't suspended, and a Shark or Canuck is, well, is the video explanation going to be enough for the fans? Because this is the NHL, and there WILL be favoritism. There always has been, and always will be. Often that involves star players--who got hit or who delivered the hit. I really don't want that. Is the next suspension ten games on Kaleta because he hit a Sedin? Or is the next suspension on Cooke 2 games because he hit Kaleta? I want to see uniform decisions before I start congratulating Shanny on stuff.

I agree that Shanny has a lot to prove beyond these two suspensions, but there is no denying that suspending these players and releasing the video is a good move. Whether the video explanation convinces all fans that no favoritism (etc) was involved or not, the fact that he came out and explained his decision making process in detail is a big step forward and an improvement over Colin Campbell.

I agree that Shanny has a lot to prove beyond these two suspensions, but there is no denying that suspending these players and releasing the video is a good move. Whether the video explanation convinces all fans that no favoritism (etc) was involved or not, the fact that he came out and explained his decision making process in detail is a big step forward and an improvement over Colin Campbell.

Agreed. I don't think there was any favoritism in this particular case. Just lookin' out for the examples I mentioned. I'm also not sure whether Shanny makes the decisions and announces them, or just announces them.

I enjoy your thoughts.

One thing Shanny brings is his credibility with all parties. He was the one

given credit for getting both sides to break the impasse after the lockout.

He has a tough job.....but the format is excellent. Explain what can be demonstated by

video, the particular violation of the rule - literally highlighting the parts of the rule that are violated, and the rationale for the decision.

It is a really ballsy job to take on.

Colin Campbell did it in a midnight/secret review process that was always in coded in the language of "Campbell handed down a ruling" today.

This is what everyone has been asking for, a transparent process with the word "I"

(the I being Shanahan) With a firm decision including a consideration for the player's history.

The best thing about this format is that it is going to educate the next generation of kids on what is a dirty hit and why.

Sure there will be unpopular decisions coming down, and there is imperfections in a human process, but I don't think you can really underestimate how much credibility Shanahan brings to this.

This is going to be fascinating - every dirty hit will anticipate a ShanTube.

Ewww.....dirty hit!....we'll be waiting for the ShannyTube video on that nasty hit!

I think he got the suspensions right and the number of games is pretty severe. However, if you consider that they are preseason games, I suppose it takes away some of the punishment. But, it's pretty strict, and these guys get paid while in preseason and the suspension likely involves a fine/elimination of pay for games missed, so it's a pretty big fine.

I would say that Shanahan has passed the first test of numerous to come. This test was not that hard, and it will only get harder, but I'm interested to see how he responds in the future. For example, I'd be curious to see what he would do to himself when he was with the Rangers and totally bowled over Clarke MacArthur and dangerously sent him into the Rangers goal post on a defenseless player. I'm not sure if anyone remembers what I'm talking about, but he didn't even get a penalty on that play and it was so dangerous. Here's a link to the youtube video of the hit I was referring to: Link here

Will be interesting to see how he does on more controversial hits with players that are valuable and how he treats those types of players with suspensions.

As far as I know there is no hit explanation for the Shelly suspension so I wonder if he will only make a new video for when he thinks a different type of play occurs. Like I said earlier he by documenting his decision we have moved from a very hazy understanding of the rules to a clear use of case law and setting precedents that can be called upon in the future. IE. Shanahan can say well I suspended Shelly because his hit was like leblond's but he got more time because of x,y,z factors but it was a similar hit. This builds on the hit before it and redefines the legality and also sets a clear cut model to be followed even if Shanahan retires at some point. Bottom Line for the next few years most "illegal" hits should be getting a video explanation of why the player was either suspended or not

Shelly is a repeat moron in this league so I think the suspension was apt. Hopefully Shannahan keeps right on top of this stuff and hopefully the same rules apply across the board regardless of offender and victim. When we see Shanny give out a harsh penalty to one of his former team mates and friends we'll know he's serious.

I applaud the effort being put forth to end the absolutely pathetic and cowardly hits from behind. The players should have more respect for another and not have to be told, but unfortunately half these boneheads can't stop themselves from running a defenseless opponent into the boards when the chance presents itself. The longer the suspension the better as far as I'm concerned.

How about a video explanation for when a suspension ISN'T issued? That's the other aspect of your "other side" view that could be very interesting. Of course we'll never see that, but I know I'd love to see him try to dance around the issue when Ovechkin isn't suspended for one of his actions.

How about a video explanation for when a suspension ISN'T issued? That's the other aspect of your "other side" view that could be very interesting. Of course we'll never see that, but I know I'd love to see him try to dance around the issue when Ovechkin isn't suspended for one of his actions.

Good freaking call.

great job, so far. Preseason is when these marginal type players are trying to make the team. Suspensions at this time probably mean more.

The transperency is great for the league. Players and fans alike. They had to do something. If Shanny can keep it honest then we will see. I fear it could get out of control eventually.

Archived