New Winnipeg Jets jerseys

Warriorspikes51

Meh. They could sell the new ones as third jerseys, and sell plenty of the vintage ones to new young fans who are excited to see the Jets back.

Money is a weak reason to arrive at a more bland team visual identity. It was true of the Sabres, twice. And perhaps it was a cynical ploy to get back to the original design, but it really never should have changed. Blue and Gold = the Sabres. This navy, weird jet and maple leaf thing is just not doing it for me. It doesn't say "Jets" like the vintage ones do.

Well, I do agree with what you're saying. FWIW, I do like the jerseys, but I know what you mean-- they are so different from tradition. But keep in mind that it isn't the same winnipeg jets... it's an entirely different franchise, and maybe they feel the need to differentiate. They got to use the name for free, but I wonder if they would legally be allowed to sell and use the old/vintage jerseys? just throwing ideas out there, i really have no idea, but maybe that's why they chose a different route.

however, as the owner of a relocating franchise who has the opportunity to put their mark on it, I can't say that I would have done things differently. TBH I might have even leaned towards a brand new name entirely, but I think the fans let him know loud and clear that they wanted the JETS! I really don't have an objection towards re-branding the team, but I could see why fans of the past incarnation may prefer the oldschool jerseys...

Either way, I guess the bottom line is the Jets are back and fans in Winnipeg will be happy no matter what. Even if the jerseys are ALL about money, in a way the fans owe it to True North for giving them back a hockey team... if someone ripped the Sabres out of Buffalo for 15 years and then we got a team back, i wouldn't care if they're wearing bright pink. WE HAVE A TEAM!!

also betweenthepipes makes a good point... i think the last thing any of us wants is jerseys littered with advertisements. so i suppose if selling jerseys helps prevent that, go for it

Meh. They could sell the new ones as third jerseys, and sell plenty of the vintage ones to new young fans who are excited to see the Jets back.

Money is a weak reason to arrive at a more bland team visual identity. It was true of the Sabres, twice. And perhaps it was a cynical ploy to get back to the original design, but it really never should have changed. Blue and Gold = the Sabres. This navy, weird jet and maple leaf thing is just not doing it for me. It doesn't say "Jets" like the vintage ones do.

I'm not saying it's a GOOD reason, it's just THE reason ... mostly anyway. I think the owners wanted a new identity but caved to the name "Jets," and at that point they were in a no-win situation with the logo/jersey.

also betweenthepipes makes a good point... i think the last thing any of us wants is jerseys littered with advertisements. so i suppose if selling jerseys helps prevent that, go for it

Fixed.

Have any of you guys seen the jerseys from the Finnish SM-liiga? My goodness - those things look hideous with their NASCAR-style ads embroidered all over them! :thumbdown:

Well, I do agree with what you're saying. FWIW, I do like the jerseys, but I know what you mean-- they are so different from tradition. But keep in mind that it isn't the same winnipeg jets... it's an entirely different franchise, and maybe they feel the need to differentiate. They got to use the name for free, but I wonder if they would legally be allowed to sell and use the old/vintage jerseys? just throwing ideas out there, i really have no idea, but maybe that's why they chose a different route.

however, as the owner of a relocating franchise who has the opportunity to put their mark on it, I can't say that I would have done things differently. TBH I might have even leaned towards a brand new name entirely, but I think the fans let him know loud and clear that they wanted the JETS! I really don't have an objection towards re-branding the team, but I could see why fans of the past incarnation may prefer the oldschool jerseys...

Either way, I guess the bottom line is the Jets are back and fans in Winnipeg will be happy no matter what. Even if the jerseys are ALL about money, in a way the fans owe it to True North for giving them back a hockey team... if someone ripped the Sabres out of Buffalo for 15 years and then we got a team back, i wouldn't care if they're wearing bright pink. WE HAVE A TEAM!!

Considering the NHL owns the Phoenix Coyotes which had owned the old Winnipeg Jets trademarks, so now the NHL owns all those trademarks; I don't believe they'd've had too many issues had they requested it of the league.

What's wrong with it? Well nothing, except if they make it their primary jersey, they can't bring the classic in as a "throwback" and sell another jersey to everyone who bought the primary.

As annoying as this can be, I say let them make their money off those willing/able to buy them ... because maybe it holds off the inevitable advertising on the jerseys like they have in soccer and hockey in Europe a little longer.

Have you seen the story about how Detroit has brought on their first ever official team sponsorship deal (not sure if that's worded correctly) with Amway? They're going to be featured heavily at the Joe, especially on that little backdrop that every team has for any press conferences. They're also going to have the company name on their practice jerseys. So yeah, that advertising is slowly creeping its way in.

I'm not saying it's a GOOD reason, it's just THE reason ... mostly anyway. I think the owners wanted a new identity but caved to the name "Jets," and at that point they were in a no-win situation with the logo/jersey.

From everything I've seen, they didn't exactly want a new identity, but they weren't interested in the Jets name at first. They had worked hard to build up the Moose brand and wanted to stick with it. The public outcry was way too much to ignore though. If that's the case, these jerseys were also thrown together quickly, last second. They're simple, I'll give them that, but I wish teams would stop going to navy blue. Why does everything always have to be so dark?

Have you seen the story about how Detroit has brought on their first ever official team sponsorship deal (not sure if that's worded correctly) with Amway? They're going to be featured heavily at the Joe, especially on that little backdrop that every team has for any press conferences. They're also going to have the company name on their practice jerseys. So yeah, that advertising is slowly creeping its way in.

I did see that, and apparently people are pretty pissed up there because Amway is not exactly a source of civic pride ... its reputation as a giant pyramid scheme is apparently embarrassing to some. Imagine that. This blog is rather long-winded and repetitive about it, but he makes some good points too - http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/gordon/38121/

From everything I've seen, they didn't exactly want a new identity, but they weren't interested in the Jets name at first. They had worked hard to build up the Moose brand and wanted to stick with it. The public outcry was way too much to ignore though. If that's the case, these jerseys were also thrown together quickly, last second. They're simple, I'll give them that, but I wish teams would stop going to navy blue. Why does everything always have to be so dark?

I agree on the dark, I guess it will come back around eventually to bright colors ... who knows, I am lucky I can dress myself. And now that I work from home I really can wear a Sabres jersey every day if I wanted to.

Anyway, maybe they were thrown together, but supposedly the Sabres and Reebok worked for a long time on the slug and look how that turned out ...

I saw that the Islanders have teamed up with a tattoo shop to offer tattoos at games.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/09/nhl-club-name-first-official-tattoo-parlor-new-york-islanders-tattoo-lous-lou-rubino-nassau-coliseum/1

This!

Look at the Canucks. They came up with an updated jersey that looks classic. I still prefer the original C/rink/stick logo, but they at least emerged out of the yellow monstrosity era into the dark everything era, and finally into something that looks traditional and current at the same time.

Whomever said that the new Jets logo looks like a military or boy scout patch has it right. It's not *awful* - reserve that for looks like the Gorton's fisherman - still among the all-time worst jerseys. But it's not great. I guarantee that at some point you're going to see them go back to the original threads - probably once they've sold enough of the new ones. <_<

Archived