Another Player dead

Rico4Hall12

They're reporting he hung himself. NHLPA should get these guys some help.

Wow. Shocking news and I agree with you on these guys need help and guidance after the career ends and during it to prepare them that they can't play forever.

RIP Wade.

Wow this is really sad. Wade was a good guy. Wasn't afraid of anyone and held his own and stuck up for EVERYONE.

Very sad news. I followed him closely in Toronto for a while. The manner of death is rather shocking.

He became a builder after the NHL didnt he? Some of these reports indicate it's because these guys have nothing to move onto after the NHL, and they haven't earned a huge amount.

Two of the deaths this offseason have been current players though, one who had just signed a new contract. There's something else in play here other than not having something to move onto.

Two of the deaths this offseason have been current players though, one who had just signed a new contract. There's something else in play here other than not having something to move onto.

Oh agreed. I can only think its the idea that there's no future in being an enforcer, or that these guys all have undiagnosed mental problems. To be honest you can't tar every death with the same brush really. Im sure there is a linking factor but I don't think there is a single cause, if you understand what I mean.

Totally agree that more support needs to be given to enforcers to make sure their ok post-NHL.

Oh agreed. I can only think its the idea that there's no future in being an enforcer, or that these guys all have undiagnosed mental problems. To be honest you can't tar every death with the same brush really. Im sure there is a linking factor but I don't think there is a single cause, if you understand what I mean.

Totally agree that more support needs to be given to enforcers to make sure their ok post-NHL.

You're absolutely right. There's never one single cause. That would be too easy. These very well could be completely unrelated coincidences, but the NHL owes it to their players to look into it.

Is there really any difference between these types of occurrences (suicide, OD, etc) in the NHL vs normal life? Besides the celebrity factor, I imagine the stress of being a professional athlete can't be much different than a businessman. There are multiple job opportunities once your playing career is over (coaching, training, communications/broadcasting, front office, back office, etc). I guess what I'm trying to say is I haven't seen anything that would suggest NHL players are more likely to die from OD or suicide than any other person.

My guess is anti-depression drugs. At least 2 of the 3 that died were depressed. And these were violent individuals.You see anti-depressent pills on TV commercials...you know, where half the commercial is these horrible side-effects, including suicide (aka "life ending events") You can't mess with the brain with pills. It's too complicated. They should be completely banned!

I'll open up the conversation that most probably don't want to have. Are we approaching the point where the fighting ban needs to happen? With the backlash in the sports community against brain injuries, it's only a matter of time. Now I know that some will mention the self-policing aspect of fighting and I completely understand that, but it seems like the vast majority of fights lately are of the 20 second choreographed dancing with the stars routine variety. What does it really add to the game at this point? A fighting ban doesn't have to mean fighting completely disappears, all it would have to be is an automatic game misconduct when a fight occurs.

And back to the self-policing. That is the thing that is needed the most. The players need to learn how to respect each other and not go for the kill shot whenever they get the chance. The league also needs to actually start enforcing their own rules (please Shanny, get things right). The culture of the game (and football too) is really going to need a major change over the next 10-15 years. Let's hope they realize it.

Archived