OT : Hockey Cards.

deluca67

Any collectors on the board?

I just started collecting again, strictly Upper Deck hockey. I like how they look compared to other cards.

I am interested in reading what people collect and what is considered the best ways to store the cards.

Since I was little I've always collected baseball cards, while my cousin collected the hockey cards. I've been thinking of starting a second collection of cards for hockey now. When it comes to baseball cards, I've always liked the look of Upper Deck as well.

In terms of storage, I have 4 3" 3 ring binders with the card protector sheets, and I keep them away from extreme hot/cold/humidity (i.e. they aren't stored in my attic/basement/garage...no-brainer I'd assume). If it's a really valuable card, I get the special plastic single case for protection to keep it safe.

I just started collecting again, strictly Upper Deck hockey. I like how they look compared to other cards.

I am interested in reading what people collect and what is considered the best ways to store the cards.

The best way to store them is to buy the complete set every year, never even open the box, and stick them away for several decades in a cool, dry place.

The best way to store them is to buy the complete set every year, never even open the box, and stick them away for several decades in a cool, dry place.

I agree, however if you personally want to be able to enjoy them the sheets in a 3 ring binder are the way to go.

I get a complete set of ITG H&P every year which is comprised of all prospect cards. It then allows me to follow the players as they make their way through. I find it much cheaper to buy the sets on ebay right when they come out ($10-$15) from guys who put together the sets from hobby boxes rather than buying a factory complete set.

I miss those days of always getting a new pack of cards after every single hockey practice. Steve Yzerman wound up being my favorite non-Sabre in the very early stages of his career because I'd get one of his cards in just about every pack. That combined with a cool last name, how can any kid resist?

I miss those days of always getting a new pack of cards after every single hockey practice. Steve Yzerman wound up being my favorite non-Sabre in the very early stages of his career because I'd get one of his cards in just about every pack. That combined with a cool last name, how can any kid resist?

That's what I am doing. I am going to collect the old fashion way. Buying packs and hoping for the best. It has worked out OK so far. I picked up a 2008-09 Stamkos rookie card from a 12 pack box I got at D&A's.

Opening the packs is half the fun. I'm not buying individual cards.

That's what I am doing. I am going to collect the old fashion way. Buying packs and hoping for the best. It has worked out OK so far. I picked up a 2008-09 Stamkos rookie card from a 12 pack box I got at D&A's.

Opening the packs is half the fun. I'm not buying individual cards.

i haven't collected in years (have thousands of cards in storage), but that's the only way to do it!

I used to have a nice hockey card collection as a kid, and an even nicer autograph collection from catching up and coming players or past the prime players at Amerks games. Even did a bunch of TTM stuff back then from players like Hull, Jagr, Hasek, Neely, and Kurri.

Recently been debating on getting back into the TTM stuff as a hobby.

That seems like a ridiculously cheesy way to do it though. How is it fun to "collect" if you're just automatically buying the full set each year?

I've wanted to get into hockey card collecting the last few years but I can't bring myself to do it because there are just too many different brands and sets, how can anyone ever know which one are the good ones to buy? And I imagine that say a Sidney Crosby rookie card won't ever be worth as much as a Gretzky rookie card.. if you can just buy the complete set and be guaranteed to get the card. That seems like it eliminates half the fun of collecting cards.

Not sure if that's how it was back in the day, too, but seems impossible to have "rare" cards if they're available in every box set.

That seems like a ridiculously cheesy way to do it though. How is it fun to "collect" if you're just automatically buying the full set each year?

I've wanted to get into hockey card collecting the last few years but I can't bring myself to do it because there are just too many different brands and sets, how can anyone ever know which one are the good ones to buy? And I imagine that say a Sidney Crosby rookie card won't ever be worth as much as a Gretzky rookie card.. if you can just buy the complete set and be guaranteed to get the card. That seems like it eliminates half the fun of collecting cards.

Not sure if that's how it was back in the day, too, but seems impossible to have "rare" cards if they're available in every box set.

This is the precise reason I stopped collecting. Packs used to be affordable, and there were only a couple manufacturers (topps/opeechee, score, upper deck). Then, everything got crazy and more expensive, and they started making those ridiculous cards with pieces of jerseys in them.

This is the precise reason I stopped collecting. Packs used to be affordable, and there were only a couple manufacturers (topps/opeechee, score, upper deck). Then, everything got crazy and more expensive, and they started making those ridiculous cards with pieces of jerseys in them.

That's why I am sticking to only one brand.

An excellent idea.

Are you going with Upper Deck?

I don't know what is out there today, but they had the nicest cards out in the 90s when I stopped collecting...

Yes. Upper Deck is, IMO, the sharpest looking card produced. They also seem to have a really nice variety of product available. You can go with the basic series or they also have a Victory series which is priced a little less or even a little more upscale Black Diamond series. They also have a decent amount of subsets to keep collecting interesting.

I went to Beckett.com and signed up for their online hockey price guide. For $9 bucks a month I get up to date pricing and can manage my collection right through the site. It is a pretty interesting site. I can also apparently open my collection to other members if I was interested in trading.

I have really enjoyed it. I have to give a thanks to Mike Schopp from WGR. Listening to his show on Saturday mornings really put the idea in my head. Listening to people talk about collecting reminded me how much I really missed it.

I'm not positive about the 80's but you could definitely buy the factory sets in the 90's.

They make the same amount of cards for each player, just some sets make less cards of each than others, so there's less supply making those brands more rare and increasing the cost. Also, obviously the good players are going to be in higher demand. Regardless a Gretzky or Crosby aren't going to be harder to get than any other player.

I have really enjoyed it. I have to give a thanks to Mike Schopp from WGR. Listening to his show on Saturday mornings really put the idea in my head. Listening to people talk about collecting reminded me how much I really missed it.

That's what got me back into it also.

Maybe that's because cards aren't my thing. I was answering the op's question. If you want to open packs and chew the bubblegum and mess around with the cards, more power to you. I'll stick to beer and whisky/ey.

Upper Deck is pretty much the reason that this happened.......Thats why I am not the biggest fan of their cards.

Saran wrap?

Archived