THN Yearbook Out

Taro T

Just an FYI.

THN Yearbook out today. They've got the Caps over the Hawks in the Finals.

Here's their '12 Forecast:

East

Washington

Pittsburgh

Boston

Filadelphia

Buffalo

Tampa Bay

NY R

Montreal

--------

Carolina

Toronto

New Jersey

NY I

Atlanta

Florida

Ottawa

West

Vancouver

San Jose

Chicago

LA

Detroit

Anaheim

St. Louis

Nashville

---------

Colorado

Calgary

Minnesota

Columbus

Dallas

Phoenix

Edmonton

If they're right, the Sabres will get the chance for Leino to be on the winning side of the Sabres-Phlyers 1st round rematch.

Also, Edmonton will be looking at a Nordique-like run of consecutive worst in the league finishes. Which could make them the team to beat ... in 2017.

Can't claim I'd be too upset with them having gotten the 9th and 10th finishers in the East correct if they actually did.

John Vogl was pretty impressed w/ the moves the Sabres made this off-season and he's got them trending upwards in O, D, and goaltending w/ special teams staying flat compared to last year. I'd expect the O to be pretty comparable to last year, maybe a little stronger; the D to be much better, the G to be a bit stronger primarily due to the D's improvement and having a servicable backup doesn't hurt any either. I expect the ST's to be better than last year primarily because they won't be giving up nearly as many shorties. I expect the PK to be very strong in the last 3rd of the year, but it could struggle early.

Apparently their 'Fast Facts' editor didn't read Vogl's article as Vogl makes special mention of TP reuniting Buffalo & Ra-cha-cha but the fast fact shows Portland as the AHL affiliate. (If it's any consolation, according to the 'Fast Facts' the Cats are still w/ Ra-cha-cha.)

They also have Kassian as the top prospect, but Enroth (7th) & Gragnani (8th), both of whom will in all likelihood be are listed pretty far down the prospects list.

Not far off from last year. I'm thinking 4th/5th is pretty reasonable (considering we have the stanley cup champion in our division, I'd be happy with 2nd in the NE.) I don't see Edmonton that low or NYI that high. Im not sure the bottom feeders are right in general infact. Still, cool predictions

Does anyone record these predictions, so we can point and laugh when we're carrying off the cup? or cry, whatever.

Pittsburgh's place in the standing is going to be very dependent on Crosby's health. I can't see them repeating finishing high again if Sidney is hampered most of the year. If he is healthy though they'll compete for #1.

I think TB is rated too low. They are going to be up around 4 or 5 with Buffalo.

I see Philly lower, maybe 7 or 8. I think they are going to find out what we already know about center depth being important.

What are the odds the same 8 make the playoffs in the east and i think that's 7 of 8 in the west ...

I fully expect them to be off on quite a few of their picks. The Rags could bump up quite a few slots just because of the Q's about Crosby and Filly's decision to add goaltending and remove top centers from the lineup. If I were to pick the Rags to win that division, it would be by default due to questions w/ the 2 Pennsyltucky teams.

I could definitely see Boston and Vancouver slipping in the regular season some due to having the shortest off-seasons of everybody. Which, depending upon how soon the Sabres' D starts to gel, could give Buffalo a legit shot to end up 2nd rather than my early guess of 4th or 5th.

It's way too early for me to be making predictions, but I thought people would be interested in knowing what the 'experts' thought.

I could see the Isles and Jets finishing higher than predicted and Edmonton and Phoenix to finish higher as well. Without Lemaire to lead them, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils to look more like they did in the 1st 1/2 of last year rather than the 2nd half. I could see either Carolina or the Jets or possibly both in the dance in the East. Haven't given much thought to the West yet, but would expect a few surprises there as well.

How can anyone take this list seriously? My guess is that Atlanta doesn't finish in the top 30, especially since they don't have a team anymore. For shame THN, for shame...

Did the Jets move back to Atlanta?

PTR

Guys, THN realizes the team moved to Winnipeg. They also realize they are now called the Jets. They even use the new logo when discussing the former Thrashers.

They also know and use the generally accepted spelling of the word Kevin Sylvester pronouces Fil-a-dol-fee-a.

I think that covers the liberties I took w/ their list. Sorry about any confusion or consternation that my relaying of their list may have caused.

Guys, THN realizes the team moved to Winnipeg. They also realize they are now called the Jets. They even use the new logo when discussing the former Thrashers.

They also know and use the generally accepted spelling of the word Kevin Sylvester pronouces Fil-a-dol-fee-a.

I think that covers the liberties I took w/ their list. Sorry about any confusion or consternation that my relaying of their list may have caused.

Rabble rouser. <_<

:P

I really have to wonder why anyone would pick Washington to win anything in the playoffs. They're firmly in the "I'll believe it when I see it camp" at this point.

Well, they added a real goalie and a couple of grown-ups to the locker room, plus a young forward who produced in the playoffs last year. Ovechkin is due for a bounceback year as well. I'd probably pick them as preseason #1 in the EC at this point.

Well, they added a real goalie and a couple of grown-ups to the locker room, plus a young forward who produced in the playoffs last year. Ovechkin is due for a bounceback year as well. I'd probably pick them as preseason #1 in the EC at this point.

Vokoun is going to make them absolutely terrifying to play against if he stays healthy.

I have no problem with the regular season part. They've shown they can do that. I still see all of their go to guys as being those same ones who have been disappearing come playoff time. Who knows, maybe the recent comments made about Semin light a fire under his ass, but I doubt it.

By the way, which "grown-ups" did they add? I like that you used that word because it reminded me how they're still relying quite a bit on a young pair of d-men in Alzner and Carlson.

I have no problem with the regular season part. They've shown they can do that. I still see all of their go to guys as being those same ones who have been disappearing come playoff time. Who knows, maybe the recent comments made about Semin light a fire under his ass, but I doubt it.

By the way, which "grown-ups" did they add? I like that you used that word because it reminded me how they're still relying quite a bit on a young pair of d-men in Alzner and Carlson.

I agree that it will be hard to pick them to do any damage in the playoffs until they actually do it.

As for the new grown-ups, I was referring to Hamrlik, Halpern and Brouwer (who is only 25 but has good size, has won a Cup and plays a pretty good 2-way game).

I agree that it will be hard to pick them to do any damage in the playoffs until they actually do it.

As for the new grown-ups, I was referring to Hamrlik, Halpern and Brouwer (who is only 25 but has good size, has won a Cup and plays a pretty good 2-way game).

I still think their best pickup was that absolute fleecing of Colorado for Varlamov. And I now there was a recent conversation about what constitutes a fleecing in a trade, but I'll stick by that label here.

I still think their best pickup was that absolute fleecing of Colorado for Varlamov. And I now there was a recent conversation about what constitutes a fleecing in a trade, but I'll stick by that label here.

I agree that the Colorado trade was a fleecing, but Vokoun should be the biggest addition. If he's not, it will be a disappointment (for them).

I agree that the Colorado trade was a fleecing, but Vokoun should be the biggest addition. If he's not, it will be a disappointment (for them).

It was a great move, but he's another one of those giant mysteries when it comes to the playoffs. He's 35 and he's only got 5 playoff games under his belt.

Archived