Yahoo NHLs Top Defensmen

Lanny

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Looking-ahead-to-2011-12-Ranking-the-NHL-8217-;_ylt=AtyjylQpkXNbo5Kw0drfYFp7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp9802

9. Tyler Myers, Buffalo Sabres: Boston has Chara, Buffalo has Myers

21. Christian Ehrhoff(notes), Buffalo Sabres: Sharks castoff turned Canucks star turned Sabres savior. At least that's the $40-million belief in Buffalo.

Regher is listed as an Honorable Mention with a few others, giving them 3 of the top 35 NHL defensemen according to the writer.

Oh Yeah! If i had to pick 9th off of that list and choose one defenseman to play on my team this season, i would certainly take Myers over Pronger, Johnson, Markov and a dozen or more other guys, who at this stage of their careers are much much better than he is. Pretty strange list imo. I think Tylers agent had that article written to add some flavor/humor to future contract negotiations. (kidding)

Oh Yeah! If i had to pick 9th off of that list and choose one defenseman to play on my team this season i would certainly take Myers over Pronger, Johnson, Markov and a dozen or more other guys who at this stage of their careers are much much better than he is. Pretty strange list imo. I think Tylers agent had that article written to juice the price. (kidding)

Obviously the injuries are an issue with Pronger and markov ... the writer even mentions them. If they can't stay on the ice, it hurts their value. But there's no way a "dozen or more" other guys are "much much better" than Myers. I think because we see every second of every game and pick him apart we lose sight of all the good things we take for granted. Maybe 9 is too high but let's not split hairs ... he belongs in the top 15 and he's going to be a great player for a long time.

Obviously the injuries are an issue with Pronger and markov ... the writer even mentions them. If they can't stay on the ice, it hurts their value. But there's no way a "dozen or more" other guys are "much much better" than Myers. I think because we see every second of every game and pick him apart we lose sight of all the good things we take for granted. Maybe 9 is too high but let's not split hairs ... he belongs in the top 15 and he's going to be a great player for a long time.

Top 15...oh my ! maybe , 25-35, and his potential not his game, gets him there imo.

i think it's a pretty fair list. i don't get Erik Johnson at #10 when almost anyone you ask will tell you he's a bust (as a disclaimer, I don't get to see him play much -- but when he was traded to COL all I heard was how bad the Avs got ripped off and how EJ is no longer a top tier potential player). I also struggle to put Alex Pietrangelo and Brent Burns ahead of Myers, but of course I'm wearing my blue&gold shades.. B-)

I also think Letang should be higher since the author has a tendency to credit offensive defensemen more than stay-at-home d-men (see Brent Burns).

Tyler Myers... what to say on him....

Myers is good, scary good. Last year he made our defense respectable after his early season woos. I am curious to know and may believe that with Myers being the go to guy last year, he learned some valuable lessons at an early age. The playoff Myers was fierce and I hope that Regehr gets him to play like that more often. I dont remember if it was his dad or his junior coach but one of them said once myers feels comfortable he becomes a physical force. If Myers becomes a physical force and continues to get pts (this year I am thinking around 46pts) than he could easily crack the top 5 and in 2-3 years the top 3. Pietrangelo is ranked higher... spare me, please.

Top 15...oh my ! maybe , 30-35 and his potential, not his game gets him there imo.

Eh, to each his own I guess ... go on other team's message boards and half the guys on that list will have detractors among their own fans. It's the nature of the position, like offensive linemen ... you don't notice them when they are good but when they make a mistake it's obvious, and we watch every minute of his games, so we see all the mistakes.

All I know is if you read coverage of other teams when they play the Sabres or watch with the opposing announcers, he is the one guy that is universally respected and raved about. Rank him wherever you want ... maybe for just THIS SEASON coming up he's not as good as a some of those other guys ... but given the way he handled the bad first half and bounced back, there are not many guys ranked below him I would want long term.

Eh, to each his own I guess ... go on other team's message boards and half the guys on that list will have detractors among their own fans. It's the nature of the position, like offensive linemen ... you don't notice them when they are good but when they make a mistake it's obvious, and we watch every minute of his games, so we see all the mistakes.

All I know is if you read coverage of other teams when they play the Sabres or watch with the opposing announcers, he is the one guy that is universally respected and raved about. Rank him wherever you want ... maybe for just THIS SEASON coming up he's not as good as a some of those other guys ... but given the way he handled the bad first half and bounced back, there are not many guys ranked below him I would want long term.

I do not disagree with anything you have said. I have him at 25-30 you at 15 , not much of a difference. He is big, fast/not quick, tough, and a solid two imo on a very good team and a definite one on an good to average team imo. Great potential..On the other side of the equation ,his game still has some major holes in it in the defensive end and even more in the offensive end.

Many of those are probably strengh , age and experience related.

Right now? You can make a case form Pronger, Seabrook and Suter to be ranked ahead of Myers. Not sure Pietrangelo deserves to be ranked ahead of Myers today. Yandle and Burns are probably equivalent to Myers in ranking. The ranking seems about right to me I guess. It's all opinion so it's not like you can refute it with anything concrete anyway.

I think Myers has the top end to be up with Weber/Keith in a couple years. Hopefully he develops into a Norris candidate. Would be nice to have one on this team.

If anyone is interested, here is a blog post about how the Sabres' defense stacks up against the rest of the North East. (TheSportsBuff Link)

Completely random tangent (ok, maybe not so random). Do you have any feel for how many people click on your stuff when you post it here? Don't try to read any negative intentions into this message, I'm just a bit curious.

Completely random tangent (ok, maybe not so random). Do you have any feel for how many people click on your stuff when you post it here? Don't try to read any negative intentions into this message, I'm just a bit curious.

It depends on the thread I post in haha. I don't think it's really fair for me to start my own thread so I just try to find one relevant.. when I post a link I usually get 20-40 views from this site and it varies anywhere between 10-40 from twitter, depending who retweets me. Combined with Facebook, I usually get between 60 on a bad 'article' and 100ish on a good one.. or a good topic. (Chris Drury to Buffalo one keeps racking up views :lol: )

...we're not that big of an operation haha, it's more or less just something to do. my bills blogger gets like 500 views per blog entry but he only recently started blogging again, hopefully it will pick up some more and attract more sabres readers :nana:

just like the one poster said, "you are gotdamn retarded"

The vast majority of people here who share their addiction for the game appear to be well adjusted and probably find the diversity of the comments posted, by both the informed and the uninformed, entertaining and at times surprisingly insightful, while others appear to suffer from some childhood related clinical level of psychological dysfunction that forces them to respond with ad hominem abusive attacks when an opinion is expressed that differs from their own.Which category do you think you fall into Gefilte? :D

The vast majority of people who share their addiction for the game here appear to be well adjusted and probably find the diversity of the comments posted, by both the informed and the uninformed, entertaining and at times surprisingly insightful, while others appear to suffer from some childhood related clinical level of phychological dysfunction that forces them to respond with ad hominem abusive attacks when an opinion is expressed that differs from their own.Which category do you think you fall into Gefilte? :D

Humorous yet passive-aggressive, with only implied insult. Very nice.

How did psychological change to phychological in the quote?

Sometimes large fingers do not go where you want them to go on the keyboard, especailly after many, many years of having someone else do your typing. The board creators, in their infinite wisdom, recoginzed that mistakes would be made and decided to permit contributors to edit their prose. Weave picked it up before the typo was identified and corrected. Given the fact that so many ---- retentive types reside here maybe Word is the way to go.

Am I the only person who does not want Shea Weber on my team because of the salary issues that would come with him and the depth that the sabres have at defense... I know hes great but Myers, Weber and the other 5 prospects or players i dont wanna list arent they worth not putting up with a huge contract... not to mention wont Myers be getting something in Weber;s range this coming season when he gets extended... just pondering out loud and wonder if someone has a persuasive argument one way or another on what happens in 1-2 years when Weber is a UFA and is sick of Nashville.

Archived