Enroth Vs. MacIntyre

LGR4GM

Darcy today described MacIntyre as a "very good American league goaltender" and said he and Leggio will be a "very good tandem in Rochester" ... so I guess that clears up the pecking order ...

Here is the link ... toward the end of the audio ... http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/07/regier-speaks-at-sabres-camp.html

Last year we had Miller, LaLime then Enroth, which switched to Miller, Enroth, LaLime.

This year it's Miller, Enroth, MacIntyr.

I don't get the hub-bub. If Miller gets hurt they'd rather have MacIntyre backing up Enroth rather than Leggio.

Miller trade talk is ridiculous. We have a legit top five goaltender in place for the next few seasons, and some want to pull the rug out from under this team, because we all need to be open to trading our talent away. So we're never supposed to have a player that we should not want to move? Not wanting to trade away the players that have helped to give this team an identity does not make you a fan that is"not willing to do whatever it takes".

Miller trade talk is ridiculous. We have a legit top five goaltender in place for the next few seasons, and some want to pull the rug out from under this team, because we all need to be open to trading our talent away. So we're never supposed to have a player that we should not want to move? Not wanting to trade away the players that have helped to give this team an identity does not make you a fan that is"not willing to do whatever it takes".

Nope, 1 good year and 5 average years does not qualify to be in the top 5 of goaltenders.

When he can get over .920(he did 1 year) and .930(which he has yet to do) save % a few more times, then maybe he can be talked about as being a top 10 goalie.

The goaltending in the NHL is good and after 6 years Miller has yet to prove that he is anything more than average.

This year is a no more excuses year for Miller. He has been given some huge defensive tools to succeed, and he better succeed. He is 0-3 in his last 3 playoff series and looked like crap last year until the last quarter of the year. IMHO it's a big year for him as I think Enroth is capable of taking over.

Nope, 1 good year and 5 average years does not qualify to be in the top 5 of goaltenders.

When he can get over .920(he did 1 year) and .930(which he has yet to do) save % a few more times, then maybe he can be talked about as being a top 10 goalie.

The goaltending in the NHL is good and after 6 years Miller has yet to prove that he is anything more than average.

This year is a no more excuses year for Miller. He has been given some huge defensive tools to succeed, and he better succeed. He is 0-3 in his last 3 playoff series and looked like crap last year until the last quarter of the year. IMHO it's a big year for him as I think Enroth is capable of taking over.

Since you are picking apart Miller by the numbers, it needs to be pointed out that Enroth's save pct in the NHL last season was .906, lower than Miller's ... his GAA was 2.73, higher than Miller's ... his career numbers in Portland are only slightly better (.912, 2.58) and worse than Miller's career NHL playoff numbers ... And while Miller has lost his last three series, he also had two 1-0 shutouts vs. Philly and was the reason the series went 7 games. Enroth has zero playoff experience.

I will respect your opinion if you don't think Miller will ever win it all, obviously he still has something to prove, but I don't see the evidence that Enroth is any better. If it's just your opinion, fine, but don't pick apart one guy's numbers and use the eyeball test on the other.

I believe in talking about any goalie, you have to consider the quality of the defense. Voukoun is considered to be an excellent goalie but with the poor teams he's played with, it doesn't show as much as it might in his stats.

Let's give Miller this season - with an improved defense - and compare that to this past year. That might provide a reasonable comparison to determine just how good he is.

Since you are picking apart Miller by the numbers, it needs to be pointed out that Enroth's save pct in the NHL last season was .906, lower than Miller's ... his GAA was 2.73, higher than Miller's ... his career numbers in Portland are only slightly better (.912, 2.58) and worse than Miller's career NHL playoff numbers ... And while Miller has lost his last three series, he also had two 1-0 shutouts vs. Philly and was the reason the series went 7 games. Enroth has zero playoff experience.

I will respect your opinion if you don't think Miller will ever win it all, obviously he still has something to prove, but I don't see the evidence that Enroth is any better. If it's just your opinion, fine, but don't pick apart one guy's numbers and use the eyeball test on the other.

...blah blah blah. and it can also be said he is the reason they lost the series too. He gave up 20 goals in the other 5 games(apparently you either choose to overlook that or are ok with that). 2 good games does not make a series. Luongo had 2 finals shutouts also. What did that get him?

I believe in talking about any goalie, you have to consider the quality of the defense. Voukoun is considered to be an excellent goalie but with the poor teams he's played with, it doesn't show as much as it might in his stats.

Let's give Miller this season - with an improved defense - and compare that to this past year. That might provide a reasonable comparison to determine just how good he is.

Why? He's had 6 of them. 1 year was good and the other 5 have all been just about the same, average.

Last year, with so called inexperience was no different than the other years where he had experienced defensemen. Stop reaching for excuses! The common denominator is Miller, he is average whether he has experienced or inexperienced defensemen in front of him. Not to mention he has lost to Emery, Rask, and Bob/Boucher/Leighton his last 3 times in post season, twice when he was the superior, higher seeded team. Not nearly good enough. I guess if you are content with rooting for mediocre, keep rooting for Miller. I want better, and I think they can do better at the goalie position, is that asking too much.

Lot of good that experience is doing Miller! :wallbash:

Just an FYI....

Andy Strickland Tweets:

Word is Sabres goaltender Jhonas Enroth is not interested in the current offer from the club. Told $525,000 one-way or $660/$62,500 #Sabres

22 minutes ago via web

Strickland is very reliable.

They could trade him, he could go back to Sweden or he could hold out.

It does not appear good however.

Just an FYI....

Andy Strickland Tweets:

Word is Sabres goaltender Jhonas Enroth is not interested in the current offer from the club. Told $525,000 one-way or $660/$62,500 #Sabres

22 minutes ago via web

Strickland is very reliable.

They could trade him, he could go back to Sweden or he could hold out.

It does not appear good however.

What!!!This is not cool :censored:

I like Miller but have to agree he needs to produce this year as top 5 or better goalie. He seems to let a lot of 4 goal games. Very rarely does he seem to "take over a game", its always just good enough. And rarely in the playoffs. Look what Thomas did for Boston, I wonder what he would have done for team USA. Maybe I am spoiled from the Dominator, but thats what I expect from my goalie, Domination! I saw some of that from Enroth at the end of last year, but I would prefer he go to Roch and get more experience and lead them there. Very tough call, either way.

...blah blah blah. and it can also be said he is the reason they lost the series too. He gave up 20 goals in the other 5 games(apparently you either choose to overlook that or are ok with that). 2 good games does not make a series. Luongo had 2 finals shutouts also. What did that get him?

Why? He's had 6 of them. 1 year was good and the other 5 have all been just about the same, average.

Last year, with so called inexperience was no different than the other years where he had experienced defensemen. Stop reaching for excuses! The common denominator is Miller, he is average whether he has experienced or inexperienced defensemen in front of him. Not to mention he has lost to Emery, Rask, and Bob/Boucher/Leighton his last 3 times in post season, twice when he was the superior, higher seeded team. Not nearly good enough. I guess if you are content with rooting for mediocre, keep rooting for Miller. I want better, and I think they can do better at the goalie position, is that asking too much.

Lot of good that experience is doing Miller! :wallbash:

Fine, Miller's not good enough. Waive him, trade him, shoot him, whatever you want. You still have provided nothing to convince me that Enroth would be any better, yet you said he is ready to step in. That is the part of your post that I was challenging, and I still don't see your evidence. All you have given us is what Miller has not done, which is fine, but Enroth has done less.

Fine, Miller's not good enough. Waive him, trade him, shoot him, whatever you want. You still have provided nothing to convince me that Enroth would be any better, yet you said he is ready to step in. That is the part of your post that I was challenging, and I still don't see your evidence. All you have given us is what Miller has not done, which is fine, but Enroth has done less.

Ok, how's this for ya. Most everyone thinks Miller is the far superior goalie than Marty Biron, right? So why is it Miller's career number are eerily similar to Marty's, who most people see as nothing more than a good career backup? and who I wouldn't want back.

Career numbers from yahoo

Miller GAA 2.57

Biron GAA 2.61

Miller SV% .915

Biron SV% .911

While Miller's stats are ever so slightly better, they are not enough better that Miller be considered "TOP 5" while Biron is just a "career backup", or Miller command $6.25 million per, more than double Marty.

Biron has been an inconsistant average goalie who has streaks of greatness and streaks of horribleness. The only difference I see from Miller is he is less inconsistent, yet still average and he does have streaks of both greatness and his streaks of horribleness are not as bad as Marty's. Like I said before, if you want to keep rooting for and rewarding mediocre, then by all means keep rooting for and keep making excuses for Miller. I want better from the goalie position.

Enroth is the great unknown. He's 23, shiit Price was still a teenager when he was made #1 in Montreal, so Enroth doesn't need anymore seasoning. In my opinion this is a make or break year for Miller. If Miller performs like he has in 5 of his 6 years, and gets beat again by a nobody in the playoffs, I think Enroth is the man in 12/13.

Biron is a career back up because he has had his chances to be the No.1 for a couple of teams after he left the Sabres and failed. Miller may not be an elite goalie and overpaid in the opinion of many but he is much better than Biron.

Ok, how's this for ya. Most everyone thinks Miller is the far superior goalie than Marty Biron, right? So why is it Miller's career number are eerily similar to Marty's, who most people see as nothing more than a good career backup? and who I wouldn't want back.

Miller GAA 2.57

Biron GAA 2.61

Miller SV% .915

Biron SV% .911

While Miller's stats are ever so slightly better, they are not enough better that Miller be considered "TOP 5" while Biron is just a "career backup", or Miller command $6.25 million per, more than double Marty.

Biron has been an inconsistant average goalie who has streaks of greatness and streaks of horribleness. The only difference I see from Miller is he is less inconsistent, yet still average and he does have streaks of both greatness and his streaks of horribleness are not as bad as Marty's. Like I said before, if you want to keep rooting for and rewarding mediocre, then by all means keep rooting for and keep making excuses for Miller. I want better from the goalie position.

Enroth is the great unknown. He's 23, shiit Price was still a teenager when he was made #1 in Montreal, so Enroth doesn't need anymore seasoning. In my opinion this is a make or break year for Miller. If Miller performs like he has in 5 of his 6 years, and gets beat again by a nobody in the playoffs, I think Enroth is the man in 12/13.

You're allowed to have your opinion, and I've been known to criticize Miller from time to time when he lets in a weak goal or has a bad game. But there's a reason just about EVERYBODY who covers hockey would put Miller Top 10, probably Top 5 in the world.. and Biron is not even Top 30, maybe not even Top 50 on that list. I love Marty and I miss having him around as a backup, but he is absolutely not better than Miller.

Definitely better than Thibeault, Conklin, Lalime and ... shoot, who was it? ... Tellqvist!! Definitely better than all of them combined.

You're allowed to have your opinion, and I've been known to criticize Miller from time to time when he lets in a weak goal or has a bad game. But there's a reason just about EVERYBODY who covers hockey would put Miller Top 10, probably Top 5 in the world.. and Biron is not even Top 30, maybe not even Top 50 on that list. I love Marty and I miss having him around as a backup, but he is absolutely not better than Miller.

Definitely better than Thibeault, Conklin, Lalime and ... shoot, who was it? ... Tellqvist!! Definitely better than all of them combined.

No one stated Biron was better then Miller. But, as has been pointed out, and rightfully so, thier numbers are very, very similiar. I don't care if your a Miller fan or a Miller hater, the fact remains that he has not done anything of true significance accept win a trophy on individual performance. The Veniza, although a nice trophy and something that goalie can brag about is a nice piece of hardware, winning it one time in 6 years as a starter is next to nothing in worth when you consider the Olympic ending (completely a soft goal by Crosby), the lack of domination in a playoff series (once again showing that Miller does not rise to the occassion) and the overwhelming amount of hype surrounding him.

Miller is a slightly above average goaltender getting paid an obscene amount of money for the actual services he provides.

Is Enroth the answer to replacing Miller?

I can tell you he stated it was his goal to unseat Miller when he arrived from Sweden. His AHL performance was a bit different from Miller's, but then again, he had the added burden of transitioning to the North American game style.

Then there is his compete level, this kid brings it, every night, the same as Miller.

As for technique, skill and ability to perform in pressure and clutch situations, only time will tell. But I'd give Enroth a shot at the starting job, we have nothing to loose here and everything to gain if he does indeed turn out to be a clutch performer.

There is a reason Enroth was selected 2nd round and Miller 5th round, natural ability, Enroth has it.

When it comes to the hometown goalie, there is just no talking to some people.

Anyone expecting Hasek-like performances is crazy. He was a once-in-lifetime player.

The reasonable expectation is someone who gives you a chance to win every night.

Ryan Miller has 215 wins since the lockout, fourth in the league.

If you offered him straight across for any other number one goalie in the league, 20 to 25 GMs would have their hands up.

He is not the problem.

When it comes to the hometown goalie, there is just no talking to some people.

Anyone expecting Hasek-like performances is crazy. He was a once-in-lifetime player.

The reasonable expectation is someone who gives you a chance to win every night.

Ryan Miller has 215 wins since the lockout, fourth in the league.

If you offered him straight across for any other number one goalie in the league, 20 to 25 GMs would have their hands up.

He is not the problem.

Well said. If I remember correctly the last time i was up to the Hockey HOF Hasek's name was on the Vezna 6 times and the Hart twice while a Sabre and we never won "The Cup" For those of you who don't play you must remember its a team sport! Just go ask the Flyers.

I never realized until i moved from Buffalo how negative most Buffalo fans are. You never appreciate what you have and just enjoy it. Bitch bitch bitch

Miller GAA 2.57

Biron GAA 2.61

Miller SV% .915

Biron SV% .911

Sorry but to me "He's the great unknown" does not equal "ready to step in." It just means different from the current guy.

I think we just have to agree to disagree on Enroth. When I conceded to you on all these numbers to tell us why Miller is not good ... you just ignored the numbers that I posted showing why Enroth has been WORSE, in both the AHL and the NHL. Instead you are now comparing Miller to Biron. I am confused. You can't have it both ways, using the numbers that support you and then ignoring the others in favor of "the great unknown" argument. Either the numbers are important, or they are not. If they are, Miller's are better (not necessarily good enough, but better) than Enroth's. If they are not, that's fine, you are certainly not alone in thinking Miller is not good enough. I just don't know what you are seeing in Enroth that has you absolutely convinced he IS good enough. He was clutch at times last season, thank God for him, he's way better than Lalime ... but I have not seen enough to think he is ready to lead a Cup contender. I think he just happens to be the next guy to come along who's not Miller.

This team needs to dump Miller because he hasn't been able to score enough goals, I mean what other player gets paid $6.25 million a year and doesn't score at least 30 goals/yr? As far as goalies I want, let's go get Osgood he's still a UFA last I checked, if missed his blockbuster signing on July 1, I apologize. Chris Osgood's Stanley Cups: 3, and for 1 of them he didn't even need to be on the ice, need I say more?

I think we should dump the whole roster in the AHL (someone claiming them on waivers is wishful thinking) and fills this team up with 3rd line grinders with grit this team doesn't have enough heart and grit, we need more grit and forechecking and nastiness and penalty minutes and grit -- and tons of veterans and I don't mean like 7+ years experience I mean bring CHRIS CHELIOS out of retirement, THIS WOULD BE A GREAT WAY FOR TPEGS TO SHOW HIS COMMITMENT TO WINNING - get it done.

This team needs to dump Miller because he hasn't been able to score enough goals, I mean what other player gets paid $6.25 million a year and doesn't score at least 30 goals/yr? As far as goalies I want, let's go get Osgood he's still a UFA last I checked, if missed his blockbuster signing on July 1, I apologize. Chris Osgood's Stanley Cups: 3, and for 1 of them he didn't even need to be on the ice, need I say more?

I think we should dump the whole roster in the AHL (someone claiming them on waivers is wishful thinking) and fills this team up with 3rd line grinders with grit this team doesn't have enough heart and grit, we need more grit and forechecking and nastiness and penalty minutes and grit -- and tons of veterans and I don't mean like 7+ years experience I mean bring CHRIS CHELIOS out of retirement, THIS WOULD BE A GREAT WAY FOR TPEGS TO SHOW HIS COMMITMENT TO WINNING - get it done.

I can't even tell if you're being serious or not.

Archived