Enroth Vs. MacIntyre

LGR4GM

Sorry but to me "He's the great unknown" does not equal "ready to step in." It just means different from the current guy.

I think we just have to agree to disagree on Enroth. When I conceded to you on all these numbers to tell us why Miller is not good ... you just ignored the numbers that I posted showing why Enroth has been WORSE, in both the AHL and the NHL. Instead you are now comparing Miller to Biron. I am confused. You can't have it both ways, using the numbers that support you and then ignoring the others in favor of "the great unknown" argument. Either the numbers are important, or they are not. If they are, Miller's are better (not necessarily good enough, but better) than Enroth's. If they are not, that's fine, you are certainly not alone in thinking Miller is not good enough. I just don't know what you are seeing in Enroth that has you absolutely convinced he IS good enough. He was clutch at times last season, thank God for him, he's way better than Lalime ... but I have not seen enough to think he is ready to lead a Cup contender. I think he just happens to be the next guy to come along who's not Miller.

My point was to compare Miller to someone who is average. I picked Biron because their numbers are similar, people know Marty, and most view him as a backup.

Enroth does have a small sample size and it is hard to compare his numbers to Millers, which are better, no doubt, but not by much, and closer than one would think given Miller's 6 years in the league and Enroth's 15 or so games behind that "same young inexperienced defense". To me Enroth did pass the "eye test" and looked more than capable of stepping in and taking over.

I guess I don't understand what you see in Miller's game that suggests he can't be unseated by a newer, better up and comer. Why people can't comprehend that there are alot of goalies out there better than Miller is beyond me.

My point was to compare Miller to someone who is average. I picked Biron because their numbers are similar, people know Marty, and most view him as a backup.

Enroth does have a small sample size and it is hard to compare his numbers to Millers, which are better, no doubt, but not by much, and closer than one would think given Miller's 6 years in the league and Enroth's 15 or so games behind that "same young inexperienced defense". To me Enroth did pass the "eye test" and looked more than capable of stepping in and taking over.

I guess I don't understand what you see in Miller's game that suggests he can't be unseated by a newer, better up and comer. Why people can't comprehend that there are alot of goalies out there better than Miller is beyond me.

and 6 years ago, Miller did the same with Biron...look where we are now...

I don't have a problem with your opinion of Miller ... I don't totally agree with it, but the nature of the position is that when so many people consider you "elite" and yet you have not won it all, there will be heat. He does leave you wanting more sometimes .... my posts were never about Miller.

My issue is with Enroth and your confidence in him ... like I said several times, pretend Miller is out of the equation. Do you really feel good about contending for a Cup with Enroth right now? Or even in 2 years? I don't. "Ready to step in" is way different than "could be better someday." If Miller blows his knee out in camp, my expectations for this team go WAY down. Not because he is SO great but because Enroth is still very unproven. Carrying the load is much different than what he did last season ... look at Bobrovsky .... started out great and by the end of the season he wore down and then ended up in the press box after one playoff game. With Miller, most agree the Sabres will contend in the East. Without him, they are a good team with a HUGE question mark in goal. I think people CAN comprehend that there are goalies better than Miller ... it's just that Enroth isn't one of them right now.

I don't have a problem with your opinion of Miller ... I don't totally agree with it, but the nature of the position is that when so many people consider you "elite" and yet you have not won it all, there will be heat. He does leave you wanting more sometimes .... my posts were never about Miller.

My issue is with Enroth and your confidence in him ... like I said several times, pretend Miller is out of the equation. Do you really feel good about contending for a Cup with Enroth right now? Or even in 2 years? I don't. "Ready to step in" is way different than "could be better someday." If Miller blows his knee out in camp, my expectations for this team go WAY down. Not because he is SO great but because Enroth is still very unproven. Carrying the load is much different than what he did last season ... look at Bobrovsky .... started out great and by the end of the season he wore down and then ended up in the press box after one playoff game. With Miller, most agree the Sabres will contend in the East. Without him, they are a good team with a HUGE question mark in goal. I think people CAN comprehend that there are goalies better than Miller ... it's just that Enroth isn't one of them right now.

^^THIS! Very nice. I agree a lot with what your saying.

MacIntyre said his reasoning for signing in Buffalo was because he felt he had a better chance playing in the NHL compared to Montreal (He played in Hamilton for Montreals AHL team). Montreal signed Petr Budaj this offseason, and at that point he was given an offer from Montreal but it was a deal for him to be the starter for the Bulldogs. There is no way he signs in Buffalo if he is told he will be the starter for Rochester. He was brought in and signed to compete with Enroth for the backup job, or in case Enroth decides to go back home to play because the Sabres won't pay him what he wants (he must read this board :rolleyes: )

its funny, the only people who think that Miller is not one of the top 5-10 goalies in the league are Sabres fans.

Vanek has played in the league just as long and he hasn't won anything, guess we should get rid of him too, Guess Myers is just an average defencemen too

MacIntyre said his reasoning for signing in Buffalo was because he felt he had a better chance playing in the NHL compared to Montreal (He played in Hamilton for Montreals AHL team). Montreal signed Petr Budaj this offseason, and at that point he was given an offer from Montreal but it was a deal for him to be the starter for the Bulldogs. There is no way he signs in Buffalo if he is told he will be the starter for Rochester. He was brought in and signed to compete with Enroth for the backup job, or in case Enroth decides to go back home to play because the Sabres won't pay him what he wants (he must read this board :rolleyes: )

its funny, the only people who think that Miller is not one of the top 5-10 goalies in the league are Sabres fans.

to call him average is to not know the averages.

Darcy today described MacIntyre as a "very good American league goaltender" and said he and Leggio will be a "very good tandem in Rochester" ... so I guess that clearstrre up the pecking order ...

Here is the link ... toward the end of the audio ... http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/07/regier-speaks-at-sabres-camp.html

MacIntyre didn't sign with the Habs cause he didn't want to sit in Hamilton. He made it sound as if the Sabres indicated he would get to compete to be Millers backup. He didn't say he was promised anything but the chance to compete for it. To me it makes sens just for the competition.

Not sure how big of a chance it actually is and would assume Enroth is the favorite, unless the Sabres would rather have Enroth playing everyday? They may want Enroth to be a callup when needed but still need a warm body on the bench for emergencies?

Don't have the link, but it was in the news articles when Mac was signed. It's the reason he wanted out of Montreal. Then again the Sabres may have simply lied, but not our style.

When does Enroth get to prove himself then?

Miller was unproven and had only played 18 NHL games and his numbers were nothing terrific before he was made starter on opening day in 05.

Hasek sat behind Belfour, then behind Puppa and Fuhr. Glad the Sabres didn't take the same approach with Hasek as your taking with Miller/Enroth. And NO Haseks numbers were nothing to write home about before he became the starter.

Montreal made a decision to go with a teenage Price. They haven't won yet but that has not been a bad decision. There have plenty more decisions to go with the younger unproven guy that have worked out.

So IMHO your theory is bunk. Miller has been on good teams, 05/06, 07/08, 09/10, 10/11 and has yet to do squat. How many more chances do you have give the guy to prove he's a choker. Time to turn the page, the next Hasek might be sitting on the bench having his growth stunted by an average goaltender.

OK you have obviously made up your mind you think Enroth is ready now, but don't act like it should be obvious to the rest of us. Your best argument is less about what he is and more about the fact that he is not Miller. The next Hasek? He's just as likely to be the next Noronen. IMO, he's probably somewhere in between the best goalie of his generation and a backup who went back to Finland ... I think he will start in the NHL, maybe even for Buffalo. But this is just like my Ennis argument on another thread ... I LIKE these guys but you guys are being totally unrealistic about what they are at this point in their careers.

And it should also be pointed out that you keep invoking the name of Carey Price as to why Enroth needs a chance ... well Price hasn't won squat in 4 years either, and his career numbers are almost exactly the same as Miller's (2.60 GAA, .916 SV PCT for Price, 2.57, .915 SV PCT for Miller) ... whom you have declared average. You might have better luck using Cam Ward ... at least he has a Cup ... but his numbers are WORSE than those of the average Ryan Miller.

What was Miller after his first 18 NHL games? Not very good, look it up.

And how do you view Price? Top 5 or average? He is after all only 23 with alot of growing left to do.

I'm using Price because of the age he was when he took over. He was only 20 when named starter and everyone says at 23 Enroth needs more seasoning or isn't ready or doesn't have any experience or whatever. That's BS, he's ready, stop grasping at excuses.

I understand that Miller is alot of peoples favorite player. When a fan favorite gets criticized and the potential that someone is better than him, it gets the fans in defensive, attack, excuse mode. That is exactly what you and many others are doing.

What was Miller after his first 18 NHL games? Not very good, look it up.

And how do you view Price? Top 5 or average? He is after all only 23 with alot of growing left to do.

I'm using Price because of the age he was when he took over. He was only 20 when named starter and everyone says at 23 Enroth needs more seasoning or isn't ready or doesn't have any experience or whatever. That's BS, he's ready, stop grasping at excuses.

I understand that Miller is alot of peoples favorite player. When a fan favorite gets criticized and the potential that someone is better than him, it gets the fans in defensive, attack, excuse mode. That is exactly what you and many others are doing.

No, I am not. I have -- more than once -- granted you your opinion on Miller. I have never made an excuse about the team in front of him or anything else. I have consistently kept my comments to ENROTH and my opinion that he is not ready, and when I ask you to explain, YOU keep going back to Miller and telling my why he is average. Actually, I am criticizing YOUR favorite, and YOU are in excuse mode -- he hasn't had a chance, we'll never know until we play him, etc. Don't twist it around. You want Miller gone? Fine, I'll listen. I won't be happy if Enroth is the guy expected to carry the load.

When does Enroth get to prove himself then?

So IMHO your theory is bunk. Miller has been on good teams, 05/06, 07/08, 09/10, 10/11 and has yet to do squat. How many more chances do you have give the guy to prove he's a choker. Time to turn the page, the next Hasek might be sitting on the bench having his growth stunted by an average goaltender.

Lets examine that statement.

05/06 was a special team and would have won it all minus the entire defense getting injured.

07/08 was a terrible team of slackers and laziness that occurred due to certain sabres leaving.

09/10 miller won a vezina so i guess that counts as squat even though the rest of the team didn't show up for the playoffs AT ALL.

10/11 was a year of growth for a young team that finally learned who they were and were a lousy period away from winning a playoff round but guess what? we just didnt have anything left because 2 of our top 6 guys were out and we didnt have the depth to replace them and no Roy coming back and being out of shape was not an anwer.

SO thanks for showing us all of Ryan Miller's shortcomings. He was on a special team 1 time in 05/06 and as a rookie he just couldnt pull it off... What a bum. If Miller sucks this season then yes you are right and its possibly Enroth's time to shine. Until that season starts and Miller finally has both forwards and defenders who can do their jobs I don't think it is fair to judge him as "not worthy or average". Miller is not Hasek and no gt in the league is, the only guy somewhat close is Thomas but hes got 4 more vezinas to go. At the end of the day, i'll give milsy this season to show me if he has what it takes before i toss in a 23 yr old who is supposedly ready. Wanna know the difference btw the miller/biron year and the Enroth/Miller one? Biron wasn't a solidified #1 and Miller is, its not fair but thats the way it works.

05/06 was a special team and would have won it all minus the entire defense getting injured.

07/08 was a terrible team of slackers and laziness that occurred due to certain sabres leaving.

09/10 miller won a vezina so i guess that counts as squat even though the rest of the team didn't show up for the playoffs AT ALL.

10/11 was a year of growth for a young team that finally learned who they were and were a lousy period away from winning a playoff round but guess what? we just didnt have anything left because 2 of our top 6 guys were out and we didnt have the depth to replace them and no Roy coming back and being out of shape was not an anwer.

SO thanks for showing us all of Ryan Miller's shortcomings. He was on a special team 1 time in 05/06 and as a rookie he just couldnt pull it off... What a bum. If Miller sucks this season then yes you are right and its possibly Enroth's time to shine. Until that season starts and Miller finally has both forwards and defenders who can do their jobs I don't think it is fair to judge him as "not worthy or average". Miller is not Hasek and no gt in the league is, the only guy somewhat close is Thomas but hes got 4 more vezinas to go. At the end of the day, i'll give milsy this season to show me if he has what it takes before i toss in a 23 yr old who is supposedly ready. Wanna know the difference btw the miller/biron year and the Enroth/Miller one? Biron wasn't a solidified #1 and Miller is, its not fair but thats the way it works.

OMG! the excuses are tiresome. You want 1 more year, why? He has had 6 already. Are you suggesting he needs an all star cast infront of him to succeed? Yeah, Miller was a rookie and so was Cam Ward. Who won that duel? or the Ray Emery duel or the Tukka Rask duel, or the 3 headed Philly monster duel? I could accept it if he had been bested by Marty Brodeur, Tim Thomas(when healthy) or Lundqvist, but those other 3 or 6(cause of philly), c'mon! Miller was even the higher seed twice, and had been playing way way better than Philly at the end of last year.

07/08, my bad I meant 06/07 team. The President Trophy team.

And just like that, our kitten has grown into a cat. Maybe even a Liger.

Look, if some trade is going to get real freaking value out of Miller--and I mean Stastny, and another quality starter, and a backup, sure, I'd take the chance (others might not). But to pretend that he's anything other than a hot commodity is to ignore the state of the NHL with respect to goaltending. It is at a premium. It always will be at a premium, even in years where the Cup finals doesn't involve a great goalie (oh, and this year...?).

I would never want the team to give up Miller just to give Enroth a shot. Frankly, that's just stupid. If there's real, and I do mean real, value coming back, by all means bring it. Otherwise, it's the uncertainty (Enroth) that should be traded at his peak, not Miller.

OMG! the excuses are tiresome. You want 1 more year, why? He has had 6 already. Are you suggesting he needs an all star cast infront of him to succeed? Yeah, Miller was a rookie and so was Cam Ward. Who won that duel? or the Ray Emery duel or the Tukka Rask duel, or the 3 headed Philly monster duel? I could accept it if he had been bested by Marty Brodeur, Tim Thomas(when healthy) or Lundqvist, but those other 3 or 6(cause of philly), c'mon! Miller was even the higher seed twice, and had been playing way way better than Philly at the end of last year.

The president Trophy team choked. Miller in those playoffs allowed 11 goals to the islanders in 5 games. 13 goals in 6 games against the rangers. Then in the ottawa series 15 goals in 5 games and the team tanked in that series. That team was not special and was not going to win the cup.

The 05/06 team would have won it all you :censored: because we had 2 regular defense and 4 rookies in game 7. Everyone from hockey analysts to hockey fans would say the sabres should have won the cup that year. Miller wasn't beaten by cam ward, the sabres had no defense and lost.

You want to compare goalies straight up and its not logical. They do not exist in a bubble where they compete goal for goal against eachother. Defense and offense and where shots are coming from and how many shots all play into it. These are not excuses these are the truths of the NHL. You are making excuses for why miller should go but you are not looking at the way these games were played and what else happend. Its a fact that the sabres post 07 sucked for 3years and then RYAN MILLER had a outstanding year an put that team in the playoffs, then he was ok this year and now that we the sabres spend closer to what other teams do on defense then maybe we will see miller a vezina winner again. Jonas Enroth played just enough games for teams to see him. They didn't plan for him and they can now because there is tape on the guy. Look at Steve Mason as a rookie posted sick numbers and then TANKED! Why? Well teams got tape on him and the blue jackets suck defensively so there ya go...

i am done with this argument, i'll never be able to change your mind and you'll never change mine.

The president Trophy team choked. Miller in those playoffs allowed 11 goals to the islanders in 5 games. 13 goals in 6 games against the rangers. Then in the ottawa series 15 goals in 5 games and the team tanked in that series. That team was not special and was not going to win the cup.

The 05/06 team would have won it all you :censored: because we had 2 regular defense and 4 rookies in game 7. Everyone from hockey analysts to hockey fans would say the sabres should have won the cup that year. Miller wasn't beaten by cam ward, the sabres had no defense and lost.

You want to compare goalies straight up and its not logical. They do not exist in a bubble where they compete goal for goal against eachother. Defense and offense and where shots are coming from and how many shots all play into it. These are not excuses these are the truths of the NHL. You are making excuses for why miller should go but you are not looking at the way these games were played and what else happend. Its a fact that the sabres post 07 sucked for 3years and then RYAN MILLER had a outstanding year an put that team in the playoffs, then he was ok this year and now that we the sabres spend closer to what other teams do on defense then maybe we will see miller a vezina winner again. Jonas Enroth played just enough games for teams to see him. They didn't plan for him and they can now because there is tape on the guy. Look at Steve Mason as a rookie posted sick numbers and then TANKED! Why? Well teams got tape on him and the blue jackets suck defensively so there ya go...

i am done with this argument, i'll never be able to change your mind and you'll never change mine.

That's huge. That's been the main argument since the whole give up on Miller argument started, and what many of us have been saying. No one knew where to shoot on the kid yet. Give other teams some video of him, and where his weaknesses are, and BAM! he's going to take a lot of criticism for letting in "soft goals". IMHO, I think Enroth needs a years of being a backup to Miller, to see if he can handle the NHL, and handle having a bad game, and have the ability to bounce back from it. Hopefully he won't lay down in the crease and start giving up goals like Lalime...

Will he be the next Hasek? I highly doubt it. Can he be better than Miller? There's always a possibility. This kid has BARELY played in the NHL.

Somewhere on some Pittsburgh message board someone is arguing that Brent Johnson is better than Fleury. You should meet him.

While i laughed also, you are playing into his hands,X. Now is where he starts saying how Fleury has a Cup and Miller doesn't ... And this will somehow prove his point about Enroth ... Even though none of that has anything to do with Enroth.

I will just have to take my chances. :lol:

You're allowed to have your opinion, and I've been known to criticize Miller from time to time when he lets in a weak goal or has a bad game. But there's a reason just about EVERYBODY who covers hockey would put Miller Top 10, probably Top 5 in the world.. and Biron is not even Top 30, maybe not even Top 50 on that list. I love Marty and I miss having him around as a backup, but he is absolutely not better than Miller.

Definitely better than Thibeault, Conklin, Lalime and ... shoot, who was it? ... Tellqvist!! Definitely better than all of them combined.

When it comes to the hometown goalie, there is just no talking to some people.

Anyone expecting Hasek-like performances is crazy. He was a once-in-lifetime player.

The reasonable expectation is someone who gives you a chance to win every night.

Ryan Miller has 215 wins since the lockout, fourth in the league.

If you offered him straight across for any other number one goalie in the league, 20 to 25 GMs would have their hands up.

He is not the problem.

Well said. If I remember correctly the last time i was up to the Hockey HOF Hasek's name was on the Vezna 6 times and the Hart twice while a Sabre and we never won "The Cup" For those of you who don't play you must remember its a team sport! Just go ask the Flyers.

I never realized until i moved from Buffalo how negative most Buffalo fans are. You never appreciate what you have and just enjoy it. Bitch bitch bitch

I seriously cant believe this is even being debated right now. There is no question Miller is an elite goaltender.

T. Thomas only sniffed the ice once during the olympic run, and two years later people are comparing Miller to the likes of

Biron and Enroth. This is absurd. We are trying to add quality players, not take them away. Sure add depth to the d, then delete the last

line of defense. This isnt jenga people. You dont build up the blocks, and then pull out the foundation piece and hope it all doesnt come

crashing down. Im speechless comparing stats to Biron and Enroth. How many games was this played over? Absurd

I seriously cant believe this is even being debated right now. There is no question Miller is an elite goaltender.

T. Thomas only sniffed the ice once during the olympic run, and two years later people are comparing Miller to the likes of

Biron and Enroth. This is absurd. We are trying to add quality players, not take them away. Sure add depth to the d, then delete the last

line of defense. This isnt jenga people. You dont build up the blocks, and then pull out the foundation piece and hope it all doesnt come

crashing down. Im speechless comparing stats to Biron and Enroth. How many games was this played over? Absurd

It was because he had a preexisting(hurt in 08/09) labrum injury in his hip, in which he had surgery to repair it during the summer of 2010. He thought he could play through it in 09/10 but realized he could not, enter Tukka Rask. Miller started because Thomas was injured. Miller may have been the Olympic starter anyway as he was good leading up to the Olympics, but had Thomas not been injured, I think Miller would have been Thomas backup.

I think if Thomas never hurts his hip, and played in 09/10 like he did in 08/09 and 10/11, we would be talking about Thomas being a 3 peat Vezina Trophy winner.

It was because he had a preexisting(hurt in 08/09) labrum injury in his hip, in which he had surgery to repair it during the summer of 2010. He thought he could play through it in 09/10 but realized he could not, enter Tukka Rask. Miller started because Thomas was injured. Miller may have been the Olympic starter anyway as he was good leading up to the Olympics, but had Thomas not been injured, I think Miller would have been Thomas backup.

I think if Thomas never hurts his hip, and played in 09/10 like he did in 08/09 and 10/11, we would be talking about Thomas being a 3 peat Vezina Trophy winner.

Did miller bang your girlfriend?

Archived