I Can't Say Enough About The Detroit Red Wings

CallawaySabres

Although the Sabres are my team, I just stare in awe at what this Red Wings team is doing and how they can COMPLETELY take over a game at will. If I am Pegula, that is the only team I am looking at and trying to mold right now. I could listen to Babcock talk all night long about his knowledge of how the game is played. I have been thinking this for a while and last night just blew me away......

Although the Sabres are my team, I just stare in awe at what this Red Wings team is doing and how they can COMPLETELY take over a game at will. If I am Pegula, that is the only team I am looking at and trying to mold right now. I could listen to Babcock talk all night long about his knowledge of how the game is played. I have been thinking this for a while and last night just blew me away......

Seriously watching that game last night and how the key Detroit players like Zetterburg and Datsyuk just sort of flipped a switch and dominated the third period. Howard made a few nice saves as well (specifically the open man in the slot that he gloved late in the third). I agree, if we can get that sort of team we are golden. :thumbsup:

If T-Pegs can mold himself after Mike Ilitch, the team will take care of itself: "Hey, guy who knows hockey, Here's all the money, go win stanley cups, I'll be back to check the spelling before they etch my name on the cup."

Is Darcy/Lindy good enough as our "guy that knows hockey" in this scenario? :unsure:

Pegula so far seems to be a little more active that a Ilitch type owner fwiw. Not sure if that helps or hurts.

If T-Pegs can mold himself after Mike Ilitch, the team will take care of itself: "Hey, guy who knows hockey, Here's all the money, go win stanley cups, I'll be back to check the spelling before they etch my name on the cup."

TPegs has more money than Ilitch. :thumbsup:

TPegs has more money than Ilitch. :thumbsup:

Detroit has created their foundation with superior drafting. Good drafting = winning, winning = attracts top free agents.

If Buffalo wants to create hockey heaven, they can line the locker rooms with gold, have rainbows shooting from everyones locker but until outsiders know that Buffalo gives them the best chance to win the cup (with that drafted foundation), all the money in the world won't make a difference.

IMO, the two guys on Detroit that don't get enough credit are Cleary & Stewart. Those two have been back there for a long time and a few (a couple?) of Stanley Cups. Buffalo could use a couple of guys like that to be together for a number of years. Just for the record, I think (hope) Detroit come back & wins game 7. I can't fathom another West coast expansion team having a shot at the Cup before Buffalo.

Detroit has created their foundation with superior drafting. Good drafting = winning, winning = attracts top free agents.

If Buffalo wants to create hockey heaven, they can line the locker rooms with gold, have rainbows shooting from everyones locker but until outsiders know that Buffalo gives them the best chance to win the cup (with that drafted foundation), all the money in the world won't make a difference.

And somehow they have the only Russian with Russian talent that plays all three zones. -

Datsyuk.

And somehow they have the only Russian with Russian talent that plays all three zones. -

Datsyuk.

I was curious about this and looked it up. Datsyuk is the only Russian still in contention of the cup. The only others who made the second round were Zherdev and Semin and Ovechkin.

I was curious about this and looked it up. Datsyuk is the only Russian still in contention of the cup. The only others who made the second round were Zherdev and Semin and Ovechkin.

Much of the middle of the road russian talent is playing in the KHL. State Sponsored Hockey pays well.

I won't debate this. But I will point out he bought the Red Wings in 1985. The team kept getting better. It took 12 years to accumulate Holmstrom, Kozlov, Lidstrom, Federov and Yzerman to win the Cup in 96-97 and 97-98.

I won't debate this. But I will point out he bought the Red Wings in 1985. The team kept getting better. It took 12 years to accumulate Holmstrom, Kozlov, Lidstrom, Federov and Yzerman to win the Cup in 96-97 and 97-98.

For about 20 years the Red Wings were synonymous with futility.

Most of those years 80% of teams made the playoffs...and they would miss year on end.

they are something to behold - that third period was just a joy to watch last night.

it occurred to me as i watched: other than the occasional kronwalling, they're not a terribly physical team either. strong on the puck and sufficiently rugged in front of the net, yeah -- but a far cry from the ducks, for example.

as others have noted, the key isn't having an owner who will write blank checks, it's having an organization and a system that can identify, develop, and retain talent.

By watching Tampa, Vancouver, Detroit,Nashville and Boston in the playoffs it should be apparent just how far Buffalo has to go defensively to make it beyond the second round. Amazing defensive zone coverage in the second round. All are physical teams with much more than one checking line and more than a few big power forwards out there banging away on each and every shift. The Sabres at a minimum need a # 1 defensive pair (two first pair defensemen), a number 1 center and three or four more physical wingers who can play in all three zones.I am really looking forward to the Boston games in the second round. For those of you gambling on the maturation of a young Sabres defensive corp , good luck and be prepared to wait three or four more years to make it out of the second round.

Worked for Tampa in just 1 season.

Archived