Sabres open 2011-12 season in Europe

Cereal

You could luck out and have the Avs be one of those teams that we play twice next year. I still want to know how they determine who those 3 teams wind up being.

I have also wondered this... does anyone know? It has to be some sort of even rotation, I'm sure......?

I have also wondered this... does anyone know? It has to be some sort of even rotation, I'm sure......?

Just for structure, I wish they'd go the NFL route and have them play the 3 teams from the opposite conference that all finished in the same position. It definitely doesn't work that way though since we played both Chicago and Columbus last year.

IIRC, when they 1st started setting it up they said that those games wouldn't be on an even rotation - so that you'd get traditional rivals like Detroit and TO playing each other 2x more often than other games would occur.

I'm too busy to verify whether that's held or not.

And I kind of like Shrader's idea for how to work those games into the schedule.

Just for structure, I wish they'd go the NFL route and have them play the 3 teams from the opposite conference that all finished in the same position. It definitely doesn't work that way though since we played both Chicago and Columbus last year.

Well, you couldn't do that because it wouldn't guarantee an equal number of home and away games. Good thought though.

Well, you couldn't do that because it wouldn't guarantee an equal number of home and away games. Good thought though.

You must have misread that. They currently play 18 games against the western conference. That's a game against all 15 teams and then 3 more against random opponents. 18 games total, 9 home, 9 road. All I'm talking about is how to actually determine who those three additional games are against.

You must have misread that. They currently play 18 games against the western conference. That's a game against all 15 teams and then 3 more against random opponents. 18 games total, 9 home, 9 road. All I'm talking about is how to actually determine who those three additional games are against.

Right. What I meant was, if we use next year as an example, Buffalo would play the three extra games against CHI, MIN, and PHO. How do they guarantee to alternate home/away for the other 12 Western Conference teams while keeping the total home/aways against the West even?

Right. What I meant was, if we use next year as an example, Buffalo would play the three extra games against CHI, MIN, and PHO. How do they guarantee to alternate home/away for the other 12 Western Conference teams while keeping the total home/aways against the West even?

Are you trying to overanalyze this? In your scenario, they play Chicago, Minnesota, and Phoenix both at home and on the road (6 games total). Then those 12 remaining games are split in half, 6 at home, 6 on the road.

Are you trying to overanalyze this? In your scenario, they play Chicago, Minnesota, and Phoenix both at home and on the road (6 games total). Then those 12 remaining games are split in half, 6 at home, 6 on the road.

Haha. Yes, I understand that. I'm just saying that there may not be a way to guarantee that the site of those 12 remaining games alternates from the previous year.

Haha. Yes, I understand that. I'm just saying that there may not be a way to guarantee that the site of those 12 remaining games alternates from the previous year.

Ahhh, I see where you're going there. I guess they just have to setup a rotation of their own for the three games that rolls through different teams each season.

Last year it was the day after the BOG meeting. The BOG meeting is today so maybe tomorrow?

I did hear that the Winter Classic will be in Philly, vs NYR. No Heritage Classic this year.

FWIW:

HockeyBreak

The NHL 2011-2012 schedule will be published by the @NHL between 2-3PM Eastern tomorrow (Thursday, June 23)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just heard about this. Someone claiming Ted Black mentioned this recently. Can anyone confirm this? I'm guessing they're using the TSN2 feed for MSG if this is true

I did hear Ted Black say that - might have been on WGR or maybe the Twitter lunch hour they did or maybe both.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't know which Europe thread to put it in, but...

The TV schedule shows both Europe games live on the Center Ice channels. My question is, don't they usually give a two-week free trial to all viewers at the beginning of the season? (I didn't order Center Ice this year because I'm moving soon, but I was counting on the two free weeks to at least catch a couple games, including the home opener...)

The TV schedule also has the Anaheim game on NHL Network on delay starting at 4pm EST Friday. I didn't see the Saturday game on the NHL Network schedule at all.

Archived