Signing the Talent we have

JKB1646

My link

Here’s hoping Mr. Pegula’s management team is sharp enough to keep the talent we have. We’ve let enough good hockey players go to last the next decade. I for one would sure like to have the two current NHL +/- leaders on our team. How much and how long should Myers get? Isn't this the summer to start on his BIG deal?

myers should get 7 years 3-4 mil a year and yes because hes been bleh for half the year now is the time to sign him.

So he's going to sign a below value deal that eats into his UFA years just because of how his second season went? :wallbash:

myers should get 7 years 3-4 mil a year and yes because hes been bleh for half the year now is the time to sign him.

no, Myers should get 7 years for 6.5+ a year and yes because he's the only blue chip piece the club has and is easily our most effective player night-in and night-out besides Miller, and only projects to be much better in years to come.

no, Myers should get 7 years for 6.5+ a year and yes because he's the only blue chip piece the club has and is easily our most effective player night-in and night-out besides Miller, and only projects to be much better in years to come.

Don't you think he should prove himself a little more before the Sabres make this kind of commitment? It's a tough spot for the team to be in. I don't envy the decision-maker on this one.

As an aside, aren't the agents going to be drooling when dealing with the Sabres now? The owner has said things like "no financial mandate on the hockey department," "if I wanted to make money, I'd drill a well," and "we're not here to save money." That, and the expectations agents know the fans have, will put the team in a tougher negotiating position. It's gonna be "show me the money" time.

In July, when they actually start talking to Myers about an extension, then they should feel out what a long-term deal would take. If his side (foolishly) is willing to go for 7 years at $3-4 million, then they should jump at it. If they're talking $6.5 million per, then it will be a far more difficult decision.

Don't you think he should prove himself a little more before the Sabres make this kind of commitment? It's a tough spot for the team to be in. I don't envy the decision-maker on this one.

I don't know. It is a tough situation, but I don't think you'll find a single person in the hockey world that would say Myers isn't worth that kind of money, and you definitely want to get him locked up for as long as possible. Good point about the negotiations though. RFAs and UFAs are going to be milking Pegula for all he'll give.

Myers at more than 4mil a year right now (aka 6.5mil) is a little crazy. 4.5 for until hes a UFA i could see but overpaying him now by several million is dumb. He is good but he hasnt been great and he hasnt either locked down our zone or made the opponents zone his personal toilet where he craps all over the other team with his amazing offensive blue line skills. Hes good and yes he probably will be very good, but if he is signed this summer I am guessing 4mil and they could prob get a couple of years into UFA. 6.5mil for Myers? I havent seen that from him.

Myers at more than 4mil a year right now (aka 6.5mil) is a little crazy. 4.5 for until hes a UFA i could see but overpaying him now by several million is dumb. He is good but he hasnt been great and he hasnt either locked down our zone or made the opponents zone his personal toilet where he craps all over the other team with his amazing offensive blue line skills. Hes good and yes he probably will be very good, but if he is signed this summer I am guessing 4mil and they could prob get a couple of years into UFA. 6.5mil for Myers? I havent seen that from him.

Hopefully they get it done early then, because if I'm Tyler Myers, I'd wait til July first (of next year obv) and see what team IS willing to give me $6.5 a year, because somebody will. Someone will take the chance with an offer sheet and overpay me the first two or three years while I round out my game, add more muscle and continue to develop, and by the 4th or 5th year of the contract I'll be a bargain at 6.5.

It's fun pretending I'm Tyler Myers.

Myers career numbers: 146gp 21g 56a 77pts +5 in 2 seasons and we come out to 4mil a year for 5,6 years (i said 7 cuz i like that better) Say he signs 5years then when he hits UFA he can get 6.5 mil if he improves and is as great as we think he could be.

No need to sign Myers to a long term deal before he is near UFA status. Alot can happen to a guy in 5 years. If I am GM I sign Myers to a 4 year deal. At the end of that deal he is still an RFA so the team still has leverage. 3 years into that deal if Myers is still the D-man we want him to be and the rest fo the roster makes sense then you offer him a long term extension that buys some of his UFA years.

A long term big money deal now while the team still has leverage and he can't see his UFA days is a huge tactical error.

No need to sign Myers to a long term deal before he is near UFA status. Alot can happen to a guy in 5 years. If I am GM I sign Myers to a 4 year deal. At the end of that deal he is still an RFA so the team still has leverage. 3 years into that deal if Myers is still the D-man we want him to be and the rest fo the roster makes sense then you offer him a long term extension that buys some of his UFA years.

A long term big money deal now while the team still has leverage and he can't see his UFA days is a huge tactical error.

That all makes sense now, but if July 1st 2012 rolls around and Myers hasn't been signed to an extension, he'll get a Vanek-esque offer sheet from somebody. Then we'll see who's down to match it and who's down to let him walk.

It depends on the money, obviously. If you have a guy who is willing to make a very friendly deal similar to what Roy did a few years back, you have to jump on that opportunity. Those chances are very few and far between though. The Sabres are going to have to keep a close eye one what the Kings do with Drew Doughty. That will set his market.

Good post.

It depends on the money, obviously. If you have a guy who is willing to make a very friendly deal similar to what Roy did a few years back, you have to jump on that opportunity. Those chances are very few and far between though. The Sabres are going to have to keep a close eye one what the Kings do with Drew Doughty. That will set his market.

Agreed. I expect that someone signing a freindly deal will be the exception and not the rule.

That all makes sense now, but if July 1st 2012 rolls around and Myers hasn't been signed to an extension, he'll get a Vanek-esque offer sheet from somebody. Then we'll see who's down to match it and who's down to let him walk.

It doesn't make sense to make your payroll decesions out of fear of what other clubs *might* do. In the end it costs you cap space.

And if Myers gets badly hurt 2 years into the deal and never regains form we all bitch about Darcy signing him to a 7 year deal he didn't need to give him. And the bitchers would be right to do so.

what about Stafford, Montador and McCormick? McCormick should be the easiest, just offer him a 2 year extension, maybe a bit more. Montador and Stafford will be a little tougher, but maybe they would like to stay in "Hockey Heaven."

I like Monty but I don't have to be married to him. He's a good D-man that really did alot to make sure he has bidders in the offseason. But I see his spot on the D as one we can upgrade through free agency. To borrow from my speculator friend, someone like Erhoff would make a nice replacement for Montador. If we ended up re-signing him I'd be OK with that too.

Stafford will get signed by Buffalo or traded as a package for a center IMO. Probalby signed. And I'm good with that too.

lol ehrhoff would be better than monty although if you resigned monty for say 2-2.25mil for 3ish years that wouldnt be so bad, he a good stay at home d-man. Stafford should be signed for around or under 4 because hes never really been awesome until this season so its kinda iffy, If you do sign him then you have a logjam at rw and that means a trade for a center could let me repeat could be considered.

I'm just gonna say again that I highly, highly, highly doubt they re-sign Stafford to include him in a trade. That does exactly the opposite of making players want to play in Buffalo.

this is true, however winning the cup is top priority so that may, may, may, make them think of trading him. Pommers, or Boyes could go but If they keep all of them an dont adress center its a mistake. You are very correct though that if a player signs than is traded it looks bad, really bad.

Archived