Signing the Talent we have

JKB1646

I'm just gonna say again that I highly, highly, highly doubt they re-sign Stafford to include him in a trade. That does exactly the opposite of making players want to play in Buffalo.

How do you figure? Every team in the league has done something along these lines at one time or another.

when a player takes a discount to stay where they think they are wanted (possibly passing up more $$$ from another interested party), and THEN gets traded...it suuuuuuucks. just ask bronson arroyo.

not saying this is stafford's sitch, since he's RFA, but that's the general idea.

It doesn't make sense to make your payroll decesions out of fear of what other clubs *might* do. In the end it costs you cap space.

And if Myers gets badly hurt 2 years into the deal and never regains form we all bitch about Darcy signing him to a 7 year deal he didn't need to give him. And the bitchers would be right to do so.

Yes indeed.

I'm just gonna say again that I highly, highly, highly doubt they re-sign Stafford to include him in a trade. That does exactly the opposite of making players want to play in Buffalo.

I agree. Stafford seems like he has turned the corner. Why not keep him and focus on getting rid of the other dead wieght. There is plenty to go round.

I like Monty but I don't have to be married to him. He's a good D-man that really did alot to make sure he has bidders in the offseason. But I see his spot on the D as one we can upgrade through free agency. To borrow from my speculator friend, someone like Erhoff would make a nice replacement for Montador. If we ended up re-signing him I'd be OK with that too.

I'd hate to bring up the money thing again, but it really depends on what they're looking to spend. Montador may very well be the best option in his price range. If they're looking for a high end defensemen, then by all means upgrade.

I agree. Stafford seems like he has turned the corner. Why not keep him and focus on getting rid of the other dead wieght. There is plenty to go round.

It may seem that way, but I keep thinking about the Pommers contract where he had one great season and we thought we were getting a perennial 30 goal scorer. I can't help thinking that Stafford is the result of the 'contract year' effort spike. He was the same player that we all were clamoring to trade for cents on the dollar the past few years.

Archived