Maybe The Media Is Changing

hockeyhound

By Bucky Gleason

News Sports Columnist

Anyone who cares or plays for this team needs to change their thinking. That goes for the media, too. Year after year, potential deals were disregarded based on the Sabres' history of accomplishing little or nothing. Pegula makes you believe anything is possible and every player is available. At the very least, there's a sense the Sabres are willing to give it a whirl.

It's precisely what Regier did over the weekend. He worked the phones knowing upgrades were within his grasp. No wonder he was at ease Monday afternoon when it was all over. There was no contempt toward him because he made the attempt. It was written all over his face.

I understand it is hard to see the bright side of things when a dark cloud seems to always follow; moreover, changing ones prespective and view point maybe the hardest task of all.

In Bucky Gleasons article, Deadline deal signifies new era, Bucky makes some statements which lead me to believe he has the courage to change.

No one is saying stop being objective, just recognize a new thing when you see one.

I am amazed the Sabres organization brought a guy in at 4 mil and a year remaining on his contract.

Change is coming.

Lets get on with believing, it's contagious.

By Bucky Gleason

News Sports Columnist

Anyone who cares or plays for this team needs to change their thinking. That goes for the media, too. Year after year, potential deals were disregarded based on the Sabres' history of accomplishing little or nothing. Pegula makes you believe anything is possible and every player is available. At the very least, there's a sense the Sabres are willing to give it a whirl.

It's precisely what Regier did over the weekend. He worked the phones knowing upgrades were within his grasp. No wonder he was at ease Monday afternoon when it was all over. There was no contempt toward him because he made the attempt. It was written all over his face.

I understand it is hard to see the bright side of things when a dark cloud seems to always follow; moreover, changing ones prespective and view point maybe the hardest task of all.

In Bucky Gleasons article, Deadline deal signifies new era, Buckey makes some statements which lead me to believe he has the courage to change.

No one is saying stop being objective, just recognize a new thing when you see one.

I am amazed the Sabres organization brought a guy in at 4 mil and a year remaining on his contract.

Change is coming.

Lets get on with believing, it's contagious.

What is so amazing about it? This trade deadline was pretty much the same as most recent trade deadlines.

What is so amazing about it? This trade deadline was pretty much the same as most recent trade deadlines.

Hey...it was a net addition of $600K in salary with the waiving of Rivet.

For those keeping score at home....$3 Billion x 4.5% treasury interest = $135 million / 365 = $370,000 per day.

So....what do we have?

Pegula invested an extra 39 hours of his monetary interest earned into the roster for the remainder of the season.

I did the same as well, and purchased 2 gumballs from the machine at the barber shop. I was aiming for blue and gold, but I ended up with red and black.

For those keeping score at home....$3 Billion x 4.5% treasury interest = $135 million / 365 = $370,000 per day.

So....what do we have?

Pegula invested an extra 39 hours of his monetary interest earned into the roster for the remainder of the season.

I did the same as well, and purchased 2 gumballs from the machine at the barber shop. I was aiming for blue and gold, but I ended up with red and black.

The biggest joke of the last few days is Lindy Ruff's comment about this year being different from previous trade deadlines. He said this year they were to talk about players they weren't able to before. They didn't acquire any but at least they were able to talk about them :doh:

They wasted a second round pick on a player that is pretty much the same of what they already have. Weak draft year or not, you don't waste draft picks like that.

So....what do we have?

Are you sure about that math?

The way I see it, in current interest rate environment, that 4.49% yield (according to Bloomberg) is on 30-year bonds. You have to divide that $135 million by 30 before you can divide by 365. But the yield could change dramatically by next week, so even T-bonds can be a crap shoot. I'm guessing he doesn't have all his money in bonds -- especially in the current low interest-rate environment. Why? Interest rates are very low. Prices of bonds move in an inverse relationship to interest rates. So, if interest rates start to rise -- which many economist expect to happen -- the prices of the bonds fall and his investment takes it up the tail pipe big time. If he sells the bonds, he loses money. The only option is to hold the bonds to maturity - and 30 years is a long time to lock up your money.

However, I'm sure he has capable financial advisors who warned him not to put all his money in one particular investment.

Are you sure about that math?

The way I see it, in current interest rate environment, that 4.49% yield (according to Bloomberg) is on 30-year bonds. You have to divide that $135 million by 30 before you can divide by 365. But the yield could change dramatically by next week, so even T-bonds can be a crap shoot. I'm guessing he doesn't have all his money in bonds -- especially in the current low interest-rate environment. Why? Interest rates are very low. Prices of bonds move in an inverse relationship to interest rates. So, if interest rates start to rise -- which many economist expect to happen -- the prices of the bonds fall and his investment takes it up the tail pipe big time. If he sells the bonds, he loses money. The only option is to hold the bonds to maturity - and 30 years is a long time to lock up your money.

However, I'm sure he has capable financial advisors who warned him not to put all his money in one particular investment.

When you make $3 billion in 2 decades, your internal rate of return is higher than 4.5%!! But no, the 4.5% is per year. The point is, I was seconding the miserable one in saying that the Sabres really didn't do jack different. The Sabres are on the hook for $1 million of Boyes' salary while they dumped $400K of obligation to have Rivet sit in the pressbox the rest of the year.

The only thing different from October 1, 2010 to July 1 2011 is Ted Black, and a $600K salary uptake.

If the Sabres don't make the playoffs, Darcy's 3rd term is already a failure since he himself said everyone wanted to buy but there weren't many sellers. There was GREAT value to be had for 2/3 of this deadweight roster.

I'm just a little frustrated that after all this waiting....we need to keep waiting .

When you make $3 billion in 2 decades, your internal rate of return is higher than 4.5%!! But no, the 4.5% is per year. The point is, I was seconding the miserable one in saying that the Sabres really didn't do jack different. The Sabres are on the hook for $1 million of Boyes' salary while they dumped $400K of obligation to have Rivet sit in the pressbox the rest of the year.

The only thing different from October 1, 2010 to July 1 2011 is Ted Black, and a $600K salary uptake.

If the Sabres don't make the playoffs, Darcy's 3rd term is already a failure since he himself said everyone wanted to buy but there weren't many sellers. There was GREAT value to be had for 2/3 of this deadweight roster.

I'm just a little frustrated that after all this waiting....we need to keep waiting .

It might be Darcy's fifth term. Knox Group - Rigas - NHL - OSP - Pegula.

That is what Status Quo sells, patience and hope for the future. They never deliver on it and are never held accountable by the owner of the day or the fans.

Sure sounds like Brian Koziol got the memo. Just said he wasn't going to take any calls from people criticizing Miller for either of the two goals -- and he also didn't want to hear anyone say Brad Boyes now has one more goal than Nieds.

:blink:

Sure sounds like Brian Koziol got the memo. Just said he wasn't going to take any calls from people criticizing Miller for either of the two goals -- and he also didn't want to hear anyone say Brad Boyes now has one more goal than Nieds.

Sad. :thumbdown:

Not sure if this had an affect but go to buffalonews.com and look for the video of Pegula meeting the News editorial board. It comes in five parts, each 8-10 minutes long. It's pretty good, and Pegula lambastes the News reporters, especially Bucky and Jerry Sullivan, for being too negative about the team. They got defensive about it but he let them have it. It was pretty cool, although they all made a good point about it's not their job to be behind the team. Still, I wonder if that has had an affect.

Two quick questions:

What memo would that be?

Who the frack is Brian Koziol?

And why would anyone outside the WGR55 listening area care?

Sorry, that's three questions.

Maybe he wanted callers to ask about why the defense was MIA instead of whether Boyes has more goals as a Sabre than Nieds. Just asking.

In the past it was go out at TD, get a player that you never intend to keep, and in the end be know better off then you were before the trade.

The post was not about the deadline trade, that was just an after thought.

More so I think I was impressed with Bucky's honesty and willingness to admit that the media needs to change.

A little humility goes a long way.

Maybe players around the league will stop thinking that Buffalo is hockey hell, maybe they will start to see the changes, maybe the Sabres can get a premier player to get on board.

I guess seeing some change gives me hope for the future.

Two quick questions:

What memo would that be?

Who the frack is Brian Koziol?

And why would anyone outside the WGR55 listening area care?

Sorry, that's three questions.

Maybe he wanted callers to ask about why the defense was MIA instead of whether Boyes has more goals as a Sabre than Nieds. Just asking.

You living under a rock?

1. Memo to change the negative culture, as asked by Terry Pegula. In interviews and in the Buffalo News board meeting.

2. WGR postgame show host. He's been there for years now, ever since Brad Riter left.

3. Because Sabres fans all over the US listen to WGR...

In the past it was go out at TD, get a player that you never intend to keep, and in the end be know better off then you were before the trade.

More so I think I was impressed with Bucky's honesty and willingness to admit that the media needs to change.

Maybe players around the league will stop thinking that Buffalo is hockey hell, maybe they will start to see the changes, maybe the Sabres can get a premier player to get on board.

What do you think Bucky meant by "change"? I have a feeling you're reading too much into it.

I'll promise you this. Bucky, Jerry and Mike Harrington aren't buying what Terry tried to sell at that meeting.

By Bucky Gleason

News Sports Columnist

Anyone who cares or plays for this team needs to change their thinking. That goes for the media, too.

i hafta say, when i read that particular part of the column, i thought to myself: what business does a journalist (columnist, whatever) have lumping himself and his colleagues in with those who care or play for this team? it struck me as deeply misguided, and a complete cave to the new owner's silly finger-wagging.

what i had thought gleason (or someone at the news) would write is something to this effect: mr. pegula admonished the media for being overly negative and contributing to the 'quit' that many have perceived in this team of late. while everyone who follows this team, whether as a fan or a writer, would do well to take a proverbial look in the mirror and ask whether they're being irrationally negative about the team, my message to mr. pegula is simple: provide the fans with a team that they can embrace and be proud of and everything else -- including the tone of the media's coverage -- will take care of itself.

What do you think Bucky meant by "change"? I have a feeling you're reading too much into it.

I'll promise you this. Bucky, Jerry and Mike Harrington aren't buying what Terry tried to sell at that meeting.

i hafta say, when i read that particular part of the column, i thought to myself: what business does a journalist (columnist, whatever) have lumping himself and his colleagues in with those who care or play for this team? it struck me as deeply misguided, and a complete cave to the new owner's silly finger-wagging.

what i had thought gleason (or someone at the news) would write is something to this effect: mr. pegula admonished the media for being overly negative and contributing to the 'quit' that many have perceived in this team of late. while everyone who follows this team, whether as a fan or a writer, would do well to take a proverbial look in the mirror and ask whether they're being irrationally negative about the team, my message to mr. pegula is simple: provide the fans with a team that they can embrace and be proud of and everything else -- including the tone of the media's coverage -- will take care of itself.

That paragraph does come across strangely, to say the least.

All that I'm reading from it is that the TG/LQ regime had an (earned) reputation for how they operated and that TP won't operate the same way, so the media will need to come up w/ a new narrative. Reflexively stating that the team is cheap won't work.

He did state a few paragraphs earlier that the team can't just spend, but must spend smartly. Which implies to me that he still plans on holding the management accountable if their moves don't improve the team, but will give them props if they do do something right. Which is how I hope he will do his job.

Hopefully this is just another case of people parsing stuff down too finetely and not looking at the whole forest. And getting back to the title of this thread, I doubt that any of the local media would view their modified tone as being an internal change of theirs, but more a reflection that change has occurred at 1SHK3P.

All that I'm reading from it is that the TG/LQ regime had an (earned) reputation for how they operated and that TP won't operate the same way, so the media will need to come up w/ a new narrative. Reflexively stating that the team is cheap won't work.

good point.

They wasted a second round pick on a player that is pretty much the same of what they already have. Weak draft year or not, you don't waste draft picks like that.

Maybe they did but Boyes seems a little more physical and stronger on the boards and down low than some of our other players. Him being on a line with Connolly might limit his ability to demonstrate some of his other skills like his hard shot.

My guess is you are somehow related to the Sabres organization. Let me clue y ou in... the media will never change... oh maybe you can brow beat them for a little while to buy some time now that there is new ownership.

But if the organization doesn't make good decisions a la Darcy's ineptitude during past and this TD then the media revert to being negative very quickly. I worked in the political arena for far to long not to understand this and it is not much different in sports. The media follows, it does not lead. So the turn around the coverage to a more positive, it has to be from within... the team has to perform. Then the media will blow as much smoke up the Sabres backside as you can handle.

From an organization standpoint the focus needs to be not on the media but on correcting the ills of the team. I will give DR a little benefit of the doubt only because this is the first time he has had the handcuffs off and I am not sure he knows what to do with that fact. That being said his history indicates that even when he has had some flexibility at the TD he hasn't lived up the options. So I remain very skeptical.

Boyes was a nice add, but the dead weight remains for this season. We shall see over the summer what really happens with what the new ownership can do with this team. Go Sabres... I hope but until shown, that and a roof over my head is all I have right now.

And you still love the Phil Kessle trade? Granted most of what I've seen of Boyes was his first years with Boston.

But you have a curious sense of valuation.

Boyes is a much better playmaker than Kessle. He can't skate like Kessle, but still, mjuch sounder defensively....a mid-second rounder is more than fair.

Archived