Maybe The Media Is Changing

hockeyhound

Maybe not the right thread, but...

The afternoon guys on WGR have a lovely topic for today. Vanek gets the flu, so naturally the theme of the day is "Costliest Injuries in Buffalo Sports History."

This is surely from the mind of Schopp, who recently revealed on the air, under pressure, that the show would surely be more positive if only the listeners didn't demand negativity.

Now tell me, if you're picking random topics for a show, "Greatest Moments in Buffalo Sports History" wouldn't draw more listeners and calls.

This is really quite bizarre. Let's talk about Jay McKee's staph infection some more.

The afternoon guys on WG have a lovely topic for today. Vanek gets the flu, so naturally the theme of the day is "Costliest Injuries in Buffalo Sports History."

This is surely from the mind of Schopp, who recently revealed on the air, under pressure, that the show would surely be more positive if only the listeners didn't demand negativity.

Now tell me, if you're picking random topics for a show, "Greatest Moments in Buffalo Sports History" wouldn't draw more listeners and calls.

This is really quite bizarre. Let's talk about Jay McKee's staph infection some more.

I always assumed that pressure to be negative came from 'GR management. It's one of the sad traits of Buffalo sports fans. We seem to need misery and go out of our way to invent some when things go too well.

PTR

The afternoon guys on WGR have a lovely topic for today. Vanek gets the flu, so naturally the theme of the day is "Costliest Injuries in Buffalo Sports History."

It's ingrained in us all. "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat." Unfortunately for Buffalo sports fans "the agony of defeat" has outweighed "the thrill of victory." The Bills Super Bowl years are outweighed by the four straight loses. Every Sabre playoff run has ended with a loss. Until the Bills or Sabres win a Championship nothing will change in this regard.

You are complaining about others being overly negative? :lol:

You are complaining about others being overly negative? :lol:

I'm not negative. I'm optimistic. I am one of the very few posters (if not the only one) on record here as saying this franchise will win a Stanley Cup. From that position of optimism, I am very hard on the owners, GMs, coaches and players who keep getting in the way of fate.

And I'll be just as hard on Pegula. (He could start by learning how to say "Stanley Cup." Stan-lee CUP, not STAN-lee cup.)

If you want to take that as negativity, fine.

I'm not negative. I'm optimistic. I am one of the very few posters (if not the only one) on record here as saying this franchise will win a Stanley Cup. From that position of optimism, I am very hard on the owners, GMs, coaches and players who keep getting in the way of fate.

And I'll be just as hard on Pegula. (He could start by learning how to say "Stanley Cup." Stan-lee CUP, not STAN-lee cup.)

If you want to take that as negativity, fine.

It was just a joke. I generally enjoy your posts, even though I frequently disagree with them. This place definitely wouldn't be as enjoyable without your peculiar brand of "optimism".

Gametime!

Alex, I'll go with 'what is Darryl Talley wearing a full arm cast?'

LaFontaine's leg injury in '93 would be my 2nd choice.

There were too many injuries in '06 to say ONE was the costliest. Yeah, Jay's was the straw that broke the camel's back; but I think Hank's might have been tougher to overcome (had all things been equal). I guess a case could even be made that Eric Cole's was the costliest that year, as Recchi wouldn't have been a Cane had Cole not broke his neck (and theoretically at least, Hank would have played the full series which probably would have led to a W in game 4 or 5 and Jay's staph infection is treated while the Sabres are waiting for the Eulers to finish their series).

Alex, I'll go with 'what is Darryl Talley wearing a full arm cast?'

LaFontaine's leg injury in '93 would be my 2nd choice.

There were too many injuries in '06 to say ONE was the costliest. Yeah, Jay's was the straw that broke the camel's back; but I think Hank's might have been tougher to overcome (had all things been equal). I guess a case could even be made that Eric Cole's was the costliest that year, as Recchi wouldn't have been a Cane had Cole not broke his neck (and theoretically at least, Hank would have played the full series which probably would have led to a W in game 4 or 5 and Jay's staph infection is treated while the Sabres are waiting for the Eulers to finish their series).

I have a 38 mile commute and listened to alot of that broadcast this afternoon. The whole time I was trying to remember what year that LaFontaine leg injury was and whether it occurred early in that playoffs or near the end of the regular season. IIRC Mogilny broke his leg or something early in that Montreal series too. Talk about opportunity missed. Each game so close with 3 ending in OT. And Montreal going on to win the whole shebang.

If Patty and Alex were healthy.........

I have a 38 mile commute and listened to alot of that broadcast this afternoon. The whole time I was trying to remember what year that LaFontaine leg injury was and whether it occurred early in that playoffs or near the end of the regular season. IIRC Mogilny broke his leg or something early in that Montreal series too. Talk about opportunity missed. Each game so close with 3 ending in OT. And Montreal going on to win the whole shebang.

If Patty and Alex were healthy.........

Patty injured it against Bah-ston. He played in the Moe-ray-all series, but wasn't close to 100%.

Mogilny broke in the 3rd game of the 2nd round.

Toss in Fuhr playing w/ a bum knee (while a completely healthy Hasek sat on the bench; :censored: Muckler), and it wasn't meant to be that year.

Patty injured it against Bah-ston. He played in the Moe-ray-all series, but wasn't close to 100%.

Mogilny broke in the 3rd game of the 2nd round.

Toss in Fuhr playing w/ a bum knee (while a completely healthy Hasek sat on the bench; :censored: Muckler), and it wasn't meant to be that year.

It all collapsed at an even pace like a leaky tire.

You should save this and post it again from time to time. :lol: Nice.

Just the other day they were complaining how all the callers want to do is complain and be negative. When they tried to have a positive show - no one would call in. I guess they decided to go for ratings.

On a tangent - Vanek has two new children; 3 total now is it? Schopp has been out sick a lot due to his child. Do athletes (and radio folk) not get their flu shots?

Just the other day they were complaining how all the callers want to do is complain and be negative. When they tried to have a positive show - no one would call in. I guess they decided to go for ratings.

It can't listen to those afternoon guys. Those guys know the game better than that, but they can't sustain a show without the schtick I guess. They must go home at night wishing they could have a smarter show. But that probably requires lining up quality guests, prepping more, and reading more. Oh well.

I did listen to the Schop guy talk to Pegula, It wasn't bad, but I think about a month ago he did a thing on how he's not a journalist - and shouldn't be held to journalistic standards, and then he tells Pegula that he needs to understand that he's the guy that needs to hold him accountable. To which I ask ..If you aren't a journalist...accountable to what?

It can't listen to those afternoon guys. Those guys know the game better than that, but they can't sustain a show without the schtick I guess. They must go home at night wishing they could have a smarter show. But that probably requires lining up quality guests, prepping more, and reading more. Oh well.

I did listen to the Schop guy talk to Pegula, It wasn't bad, but I think about a month ago he did a thing on how he's not a journalist - and shouldn't be held to journalistic standards, and then he tells Pegula that he needs to understand that he's the guy that needs to hold him accountable. To which I ask ..If you aren't a journalist...accountable to what?

"Sports talk for smart people."

Archived