Maybe The Media Is Changing

hockeyhound

Are you sure about that math?

The way I see it, in current interest rate environment, that 4.49% yield (according to Bloomberg) is on 30-year bonds. You have to divide that $135 million by 30 before you can divide by 365. But the yield could change dramatically by next week, so even T-bonds can be a crap shoot. I'm guessing he doesn't have all his money in bonds -- especially in the current low interest-rate environment. Why? Interest rates are very low. Prices of bonds move in an inverse relationship to interest rates. So, if interest rates start to rise -- which many economist expect to happen -- the prices of the bonds fall and his investment takes it up the tail pipe big time. If he sells the bonds, he loses money. The only option is to hold the bonds to maturity - and 30 years is a long time to lock up your money.

However, I'm sure he has capable financial advisors who warned him not to put all his money in one particular investment.

Most assuredly, all men of his wealth have atleast 50% of their gross worth tied up in short and long term trading platforms, probably using the cutting edge MI6 trading programs.

He probably has some smaller equity asset's globally as well.

While I don't completely disagree with the rest, that line is garbage. LA gave up what amounts to two #1 draft choices and a conditional 3rd for Penner alone.

They gave up a 2011 #1, a 2012 #3, and a solid D prospect for Penner.

The Leafs turned down a #1 and #3 for MacArthur who is in the same spot as Stafford.

Assuming Stafford would get you the #1 and say 2012 #3 that LA gave up, that leaves you needing to make up for the prospect.

Montador gets you a #2 all day in this starved environment.

Darcy said he was turning down picks for Connolly. Assume #3 at worst, maybe a #2, especially if you count Grier as throw in garbage.

We gave up a #2 for Boyes.

So that's 3 # 2's to go for Hemsky. If they wanted Sekera to boot...fine with me.

That deal could have been made with minor effort. You probably could have gotten Hecht and Pominville off the books as well considering we were willing to give a #2 for St Louis' Pominville.

It's all moot now.

If they somehow slip into the playoffs...it will be a moral victory and nearly everyone will feel satisfied.

I sense a softening in your position that they won't make the playoffs...

[/b]

I would have to agree with you in that it was a risky move to admonish the media; however, if the shoe fits then wear it.

I enjoyed it. He had them back on their heels to start the interview. He had them actually defending their journalism and saying they weren't overly negative. They eventually recovered, but he had them backpedaling for a bit.

TP is in a much better position than we are to know exactly what was DR's call and what wasn't, and I would expect that he asked those questions. He's a smart and very successful guy who went through a lengthy due diligence process, analyzed the situation with two other experienced NHL executives, and made a decision. You don't agree with it, and that is fine (and not unreasonable either), but you might at least consider the possibility that TP has information that you don't.

Word

Point 2: We've been through this before. At best, Darcy was the faceman for Quinn and Golisano, and fed the ticket buying public BS for over a decade. Did you see the US hand over Iraq to Baghdad Bob? I mean, he was just giving us the company line and wasn't responsible for what Saddam told him to do. I don't respect Regier. Either he is a poor decision maker, or someone with low self confidence when it comes to taking a risk. Probably both. I don't want that in my GM.

man you da bomb. You managed to weave in both Baghdad Bob and Saddam into a hockey discussion. Well done.

I sense a softening in your position that they won't make the playoffs...

I still don't think they will make it. Even if they do, Miller will be Mercyflighted out of the Arena by that time. But will ownership and the fans feel like the season is a success if they go down to Philly in 5 games? There is no accountability. Lindy himself said this is a Stanley Cup team 5 months ago.

Rob Ray just took a shot at Connolly -- on the Sabres team broadcast. Will Terry address it?

What about Roby, who can be pretty tough on the team? Will he be asked to be more positive?

The notion gets more ludicrous with each passing day.

They gave up a 2011 #1, a 2012 #3, and a solid D prospect for Penner.

The Leafs turned down a #1 and #3 for MacArthur who is in the same spot as Stafford.

Assuming Stafford would get you the #1 and say 2012 #3 that LA gave up, that leaves you needing to make up for the prospect.

Montador gets you a #2 all day in this starved environment.

Darcy said he was turning down picks for Connolly. Assume #3 at worst, maybe a #2, especially if you count Grier as throw in garbage.

We gave up a #2 for Boyes.

So that's 3 # 2's to go for Hemsky. If they wanted Sekera to boot...fine with me.

That deal could have been made with minor effort. You probably could have gotten Hecht and Pominville off the books as well considering we were willing to give a #2 for St Louis' Pominville.

It's all moot now.

So Edmonton is taking 3 #2's for Hemsky? Not a prayer. By the way, that "solid" d prospect was picked one spot ahead of Myers.

So Edmonton is taking 3 #2's for Hemsky? Not a prayer. By the way, that "solid" d prospect was picked one spot ahead of Myers.

Oh....I forgot that one! One of Darcy's best trades ever! He played rock, paper scissors for Myers.

What did Edmonton want for Hemsky? Throw in your 1st.....I don't care.

There are only so many names in free agency available....and Darcy at the helm. There were 6 sellers and 24 buyers or holders at the deadline. Because Daddy Warbucks came in and wanted to support his troops, you gave up the best chance in the last decade to unload overpriced players and dead wood free agents. But what should I expect considering the exact same people that built this team are still in charge of it. Oh I forget...the daunting shackles have been removed.

Removing the shackles from Darcy is like taking a horse out of his stall during a barn fire......they will both voluntarily run back to where they were because they are scared ####less

Rob Ray just took a shot at Connolly -- on the Sabres team broadcast. Will Terry address it?

What about Roby, who can be pretty tough on the team? Will he be asked to be more positive?

Wow, Terry makes an objective observation and decides to call it like he sees it, and suddenly...? What?

Come on, do really believe that the guy is spending is every waking minute monitoring the media to see if the are being negative?

My impression was that the guy had some very calculated moves to kick off this new era of Sabres history; he made the big splash and now it is on to business.

In some ways an objective media serves as a check and balance act. You shine the light strategically at times it can have a demonstrable effect; however, if you are shining the light just because you like to admire how the light looks..., I'm sure you can put the rest together.

I personally get board when columnists approach familiar subjects with the same old approach.

Know is saying to stop making objective evaluations.

It has been said that there are many ways to skin a cat.

What did he say?

Put Miller on the Leafs and they are in the 4th or 5th spot in the conference.

I'm not sure. I compare Reimer to Mason a few years ago.

I think the league is going to catch up with him. It's like a new pitcher in baseball. Teams will figure him out.

But the Leafs are playing well in front of him.

Someone posted something on this site about Timmy taking what is said about him too personally and how it effects his play. I can't find the post anywhere, and have no idea if there is a cite for the premise. Anybody have any info on it?

It was talked about on WGR on Wednesday afternoon. One of the hosts asked Rob Ray if there was any substance to the idea thay Connolly takes the public criticism to heart. Ray indicated that from conversations he's had with Timmah and his teammates that Connolly does is in fact take the criticism hard.

It was talked about on WGR on Wednesday afternoon. One of the hosts asked Rob Ray if there was any substance to the idea thay Connolly takes the public criticism to heart. Ray indicated that from conversations he's had with Timmah and his teammates that Connolly does is in fact take the criticism hard.

Then maybe he ought to stay out of the bars and work a little harder on his game.

Does Pegs have a point?

Then maybe he ought to stay out of the bars and work a little harder on his game.

Does Pegs have a point?

I think he has a point. But I also think it is naive to think that bringing up the negative impact the criticism has is going to help make the criticism go away. As mentioned in that TBN meeting, he is fortunate that he doesn't have to deal with the media in Montreal.

I guess the whole idea of negative criticism affecting this team isn't really bothering me. Mostly because the guy most affected by it is likely gone come July.

I think he has a point. But I also think it is naive to think that bringing up the negative impact the criticism has is going to help make the criticism go away. As mentioned in that TBN meeting, he is fortunate that he doesn't have to deal with the media in Montreal.

I guess the whole idea of negative criticism affecting this team isn't really bothering me. Mostly because the guy most affected by it is likely gone come July.

Actually, I think the media in Montreal could have helped a few players:

Afinegenov, for example. It's not the hockey questions that suck in Montreal, it is tabloids following you to the nightclub.

It doesn't bother me either. The league doesn't exist without fans. Fans will bitch even if you ask them not to. I guess I want players who are mentally strong enough not to let people who call into GR and hang out on message boards effect their game.

Fragile little children - does the skate fit Connolly?

It doesn't bother me either. The league doesn't exist without fans. Fans will bitch even if you ask them not to. I guess I want players who are mentally strong enough not to let people who call into GR and hang out on message boards effect their game.

Fragile little children - does the skate fit Connolly?

IMO? Yes. In this circumstance anyway. He can be a tough guy. Dude put himself through alot to come back from injury. And he's had some pretty bad injuries. But I think mentally/emotionally at some key level he's fragile. Maybe it has something to do with the concussions?

I think Roy is fragile too. Well, maybe fragile isn't the right word. But Roy seems to whither under pressure too, especially fan and media supplied pressure.

Pominville is quick to answer critics when the team has doen poorly but has he ever really shown anything on the ice that suggests he can pick up his game when the heat is really on?

Vanek seems to be learning how to deal with it. I wouldn't label him fragile any longer but I think it would have been justified to question his emotional strength in the past.

IMO? Yes. In this circumstance anyway. He can be a tough guy. Dude put himself through alot to come back from injury. And he's had some pretty bad injuries. But I think mentally/emotionally at some key level he's fragile. Maybe it has something to do with the concussions?

I think Roy is fragile too. Well, maybe fragile isn't the right word. But Roy seems to whither under pressure too, especially fan and media supplied pressure.

Pominville is quick to answer critics when the team has doen poorly but has he ever really shown anything on the ice that suggests he can pick up his game when the heat is really on?

Vanek seems to be learning how to deal with it. I wouldn't label him fragile any longer but I think it would have been justified to question his emotional strength in the past.

How am I supposed to argue with this? Should I point out your spelling and grammar errors? :bag:

Point 1: Rivet was going to be paid $850K to sit in the pressbox. Now the Sabres pay him $425k to sit in Columbus' pressbox. Boyes is $1M and change this year so really it is a cash outlay of Net+600K at the trade deadline. Yet we had trumpets a blarin' telling us this is a giant new era. Sure Boyes is signed for next year, but we are also off the hook for just that on Connolly if they so choose. The deal itself I am fine with in terms of value. Of all the years though to "take a stab at it", this may have been the wrong year given the price teams would have been willing to pay for our pending free agents. You probably could have shipped out Stafford, Connolly, Montador and Grier and collected enough picks to send to Edmonton for Penner AND Hemsky.

Point 2: We've been through this before. At best, Darcy was the faceman for Quinn and Golisano, and fed the ticket buying public BS for over a decade. Did you see the US hand over Iraq to Baghdad Bob? I mean, he was just giving us the company line and wasn't responsible for what Saddam told him to do. I don't respect Regier. Either he is a poor decision maker, or someone with low self confidence when it comes to taking a risk. Probably both. I don't want that in my GM.

Point 3: From what I've heard so far from Pegula, it sounds like he got the dog+pony show from Gilbert, Darcy, DiPofi et al., and bought it hook line and sinker. Bank accounts don't impress me much. Character does, and i believe Pegula has it, so that is a step up. However I've met many a person with padded checkbooks that for one reason or another, can't translate that to making logical life decisions.

Point 4: You are correct. We're all right and wrong about things. You at least will talk points out even if you don't agree with all aspects and that is a good quality. In fact, you are more likely to concede a point than I am, so I give you credit. When it comes to DR/LR....it is a perpetual dance of ineptness. You can make excuses for them year after year until they win it. The people that have wanted them gone are left counting those years as another wasted, one after another. Patience keeps you placated while frustration builds on our part. That more than anything is the divide we sometimes see here on the board. If somehow Darcy and Lindy can win the Cup in Buffalo....I will be the first person to send Darcy a personal appology for every snarky, cynical thing I have ever said. I will shake his hand and bring him a batch of cookies...one for Ted Black as well....and thank him for his service to the community.

If it were up to me Michael Grosek and Trent Edwards were potential hall of famers.....so yes, I can miss with the best of them.

This kind of response is why I enjoy this forum.

You make mention that you feel TP has character; I would have to say I share in your valuation of TP.

I believe TP will grant us some concessions along the way; however, I do not believe it will be at the expense of principle.

He seems to be a farily grounded man with some definite convictions; most notable is the fact he seems very determined to bring the cup to Buffalo.

As for myself, give me the Soma until the Cup comes home to Buffalo.

It's already hard enough to watch the Sabres play some nights without adding a mountain of anger over issues I have no control over.

Archived