Scouting/Coaching Staff Expansion

LabattBlue

I've been thinking some about Pegula's statement that there is no budget in regards to this(not his exact words) and I was looking at the current staff listing...

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36588

A few things come to mind...

1. Only two guys for pro scouting? Do they have a scouting report/grade assigned to every NHL player? How about the top teams prospects playing in the AHL?

2. How about coaching consultants who may not be full time, but are on retainer. A face-off coach would be a perfect example. To me, some of these guys aren't even trying. Crosby went from sucking at it, to being great. Why can't the Sabres centers do the same.

3.How many of the scouts are assigned to work the other side of the Atlantic? I'll admit the Eastern Europeans have been a bust or didn't want to come over in recent years(Zagrapan, Gogula, Schutz, Kriukov, Persson, etc...), but there are a lot of good players coming out of Sweden & Finland. No reason to go cold turkey and stop drafting Euro's all together(none drafted since the 2006 draft).

4. What does the Director of Hockey Analytics do and why does he have an assistant and a grad assistant?

5.Is the "assistant to the general manager" the Assistant GM or someone who gets Darcy coffee? If it's not a true assistant GM who is being groomed for the job, add that position to the Front Office/Scouting/Coaching expansion.

6. Shouldn't the team massage therapist be some hottie in her mid 20's? :blush:

PS I am going to save a copy of the current staff directory as I want to see how much it changes over the next year or so.

5.Is the "assistant to the general manager" the Assistant GM or someone who gets Darcy coffee? If it's not a true assistant GM who is being groomed for the job, add that to the Front Office/Scouting/Coaching expansion.

If you ever watched 'The Office' - you would know the answer to this one. :)

I've been thinking some about Pegula's statement that there is no budget in regards to this(not his exact words) and I was looking at the current staff listing...

http://sabres.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=36588

A few things come to mind...

6. Shouldn't the team massage therapist be some hottie in her mid 20's? :blush:

Should we see what Bret Favre's thoughts are on this one?

Very good Blue.

Now that Darcy and Lindy have carte blanche to bring in people, they have to be secure enough to do so. Example. Will Lindy hire a top notch power play coach? Will Darcy hire a strong assistant who might challenge him?

Dollars to burritos, those two are not going to willingly dilute their power. Who's going to hold their feet to the fire -- Darcy's still the head hockey man in the organization.

I also want to follow this story to see exactly where the money goes.

2. How about coaching consultants who may not be full time, but are on retainer. A face-off coach would be a perfect example. To me, some of these guys aren't even trying. Crosby went from sucking at it, to being great. Why can't the Sabres centers do the same.

Gaustad is currently 3rd in the NHL in faceoff percentage for any player with more than 500 attempts at 60.2%...perhaps he should be teaching the rest of the team, who are all well under 50%...

Gaustad is currently 3rd in the NHL in faceoff percentage for any player with more than 500 attempts at 60.2%...perhaps he should be teaching the rest of the team, who are all well under 50%...

I don't care who teaches them as long as they get better. I just get the impression not much is being done to make the centers more proficient at faceoffs, and in turn, they continue to suck at it and it is just accepted by the coaches.

4. What does the Director of Hockey Analytics do and why does he have an assistant and a grad assistant?

... and how do I get that job?!

Kennedy talked about working with Gaustad last year. My reaction at the time was: while there are a few tips that are probably universal, I imagine a 5'10", 176lbs center probably has to do it differently than one who is 6'4", 229lbs. Gaustad can physically overpower the other center, while Kennedy, Connolly, etc., cannot.

Kennedy talked about working with Gaustad last year. My reaction at the time was: while there are a few tips that are probably universal, I imagine a 5'10", 176lbs center probably has to do it differently than one who is 6'4", 229lbs. Gaustad can physically overpower the other center, while Kennedy, Connolly, etc., cannot.

I also wonder how many people are going to have the ability to randomly switch hands like Gaustad does. I can't see that being teachable. You either have that physical ability or you don't.

I don't care who teaches them as long as they get better. I just get the impression not much is being done to make the centers more proficient at faceoffs, and in turn, they continue to suck at it and it is just accepted by the coaches.

Is hiring another coach going to change much if the players are apathetic about the skill being taught?

The impression I get is that Gaustad stays on the ice after practice and takes faceoffs over and over. No conincidence if he is among the league leaders in faceoffs. He's made a committment to excell at it. But Connolly hears the final whistle and heads for the shower right away. No faceoff work for the poorest faceoff guy on the team. I don't think our centers' faceoff prowess has much to do with what the team is or isn't doing about it. I think it is more about what players like Connolly choose to do practice-wise on their own.

I recall reading that Crosby practiced faceoffs extensively in the offseason because he wasn't satisified with how good he was at it and became a much better faceoff guy as a result.

I also wonder how many people are going to have the ability to randomly switch hands like Gaustad does. I can't see that being teachable. You either have that physical ability or you don't.

This was interesting. Showing how Steckel did it in Washington

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/capitals/steckel-faceoffs/

Personally, I think this trading him for Arnott was a huge mistake.

Is hiring another coach going to change much if the players are apathetic about the skill being taught?

You're right. A coach needs to hired to help these guys get better and Lindy needs to hold them accountable. i.e. get better or get the f*** out of here.

During last night's Carolina broadcast, they said that Kevyn Adams is serving as the Sabres faceoff coach right now. I had never heard that one before.

Can he teach zone entries to our powerplay, too? Those drop passes with three guys standing still on the blue line make my brain hurt.

I think Kevyn Adams has been a volunteer staff member for the last year.

I don't know if it's voluntary, but he's been listed on the team website for a while now. I knew he was there, but never heard the faceoff thing before yesterday.

Anyone care to guess what Lindy's coaching staff looks like next season?

Also -- it seems there would be lots of tasks associated with being a head coach or associate coach that you'd love to give to some flunky, if only the budget were there to hire such people.

I take it we will see an expansion of administrative type people.

What a wonderful opportunity to think outside the box. You could have all kinds of coaches now.

My guess is it's Lindy and Brian and James and Groucho. They ain't goin' nowhere!

After retiring, the Buffalo Sabres hired him as a part-time special consultant. He was then offered a full-time position in the hockey department in January 2010. Exactly what his duties entail are in question and have still not been publicly announced, but he has been working with Head Coach Lindy Ruff and General Manager Darcy Regier.

Adams would not reveal his duties in the interview and said to keep an ear out for more information on his job responsibilities when they become publicly addressed to the media.

Clarence Bee article from 6-30-2010

He's supersecretundercoverLindysbitch.

I think he's Lindy's chauffeur. Lindy has to start drinking while watching game tape, and since they both live in Clarence its NBD. Another 150 years of this and Adams will be done paying his pennace for his role in the 2006 ECF.

Archived