If you had to give up either Stafford or Ennis in a trade

nfreeman

Which one would you let go?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose the chatter is true and the Sabres have a shot at Stastny or Richards, and suppose the price is a package that includes either Stafford or Ennis (otherwise the package is identical). Who would you trade, and who would you keep?

• Keep Stafford, trade Ennis
    • Keep Ennis, trade Stafford

Would depend on what kind of fan we're talking about. Sure, there's a small minority that knows every player. I guarantee you that 90+% of the fans in Reunion Arena for a given Stars game would not know either one of them. Nor would we know an obscure Stars prospect.

So true, let me rephrase.

All of the other teams GM's and their talent staff's are aware of who Stafford and Ennis are.

Shouldn't have gone with fan base, and you are correct in pointing that out. :thumbsup:

Would depend on what kind of fan we're talking about. Sure, there's a small minority that knows every player. I guarantee you that 90+% of the fans in Reunion Arena for a given Stars game would not know either one of them. Nor would we know an obscure Stars prospect.

Two bolded phrases to show why this post is not relevant to the discussion. First, fans do not make trades. GMs do. I'm fairly certain just about every single GM in the NHL knows who Tyler Ennis and Drew Stafford are. If they are not aware of the talent that exists out on other teams, then they are pretty worthless as GMs and they have lousy scouting departments. Even Darcy knows what players play for other teams as they have been scouted in one way, shape, or form by the Buffalo Sabres either as part of the entry draft or as part of pro scouting (which admittedly is limited today for the Sabres).

Second, you are quite out of touch as it relates to Reunion Arena and your knowledge of hockey outside of the Buffalo Sabres. The Stars moved out of Reunion Arena back in 2001 and have been playing in the American Airlines Center, and even hosted the NHL All-Star Game a few years back. It's been 10 freaking years since they moved.

Two bolded phrases to show why this post is not relevant to the discussion. First, fans do not make trades. GMs do. I'm fairly certain just about every single GM in the NHL knows who Tyler Ennis and Drew Stafford are. If they are not aware of the talent that exists out on other teams, then they are pretty worthless as GMs and they have lousy scouting departments. Even Darcy knows what players play for other teams as they have been scouted in one way, shape, or form by the Buffalo Sabres either as part of the entry draft or as part of pro scouting (which admittedly is limited today for the Sabres).

Second, you are quite out of touch as it relates to Reunion Arena and your knowledge of hockey outside of the Buffalo Sabres. The Stars moved out of Reunion Arena back in 2001 and have been playing in the American Airlines Center, and even hosted the NHL All-Star Game a few years back. It's been 10 freaking years since they moved.

Yet, your entire post was irrelevant to the topic at hand. So please calm down, stop nitpicking, and let people enjoy their discussions. :thumbsup:

You're right on both counts. I shouldn't have stated that Stafford and Ennis are virtual unknowns, not in the context of discussing a trade anyway. Maybe I was thinking of how the trade would be seen by Stars' fans. Or maybe, more likely, I wasn't thinking.

And I couldn't give two sh*ts about the Dallas Stars or where they play. I couldn't pick Brad Richards out of a lineup. I could ID Kramer though.

Yet, your entire post was irrelevant to the topic at hand. So please calm down, stop nitpicking, and let people enjoy their discussions. :thumbsup:

Challenging the assertion that Stafford and Ennis would not be known assets to GMs and Scouts across the NHL in a thread specifically referring to Stafford and Ennis as trade bait is off-topic? Okay. :rolleyes: Besides, I've been around here for 4 years now and have a fairly good sample size of posts to say with a fair amount of confidence that PA is a big boy and can defend himself without anyone's help.

You're right on both counts. I shouldn't have stated that Stafford and Ennis are virtual unknowns, not in the context of discussing a trade anyway. Maybe I was thinking of how the trade would be seen by Stars' fans. Or maybe, more likely, I wasn't thinking.

And I couldn't give two sh*ts about the Dallas Stars or where they play. I couldn't pick Brad Richards out of a lineup. I could ID Kramer though.

I probably could have been less feisty in my response and with my tone, but I think the content still remains accurate. I will presume based on this post that you were not watching the 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs when Brad Richards received the Conn Smythe Trophy for the Tampa Bay Lightning when they won the Stanley Cup? Fair enough. I guess I made a flawed assumption that you watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs and may watch games that do not involve the Sabres from time-to-time. I can accept it if that is not the case and I made a wrong assumption. Oh well.

Lets trade ennis and stafford and who cares what we get back in return because as long as darcy stays gm this team will be mediocre and always fall short so trade em for picks and then watch darcy draft another 20 def in the first round instead of the center we have needed for 4 years and Quinn wasnt responsible for that so wooo. :wallbash:

I'd rather keep them both and trade Roy, actually. But if I had to choose one, I would have to say trade Stafford, cause I think Ennis is going to be really, really good one day...

Me too, but with TC almost certainly gone, that would really require bringing in not one but 2 centers this summer (unless a center is coming back in the Roy trade, in which case they'd still need one). it just seems more likely that they'll hang on to Roy.

Separately, I would trade Roy for Stastny in a heartbeat.

wtf is wrong with people

stafford is playing the best hockey of his career, and i dont mean just cuz hes scoring goals. just watch his game, hes playing authoritative and aggressive. he looks like his confidence is through the roof and hes throwing his mental and physical weight around out there. its like he didnt feel confident he was a player when he wasnt scoring, now that he is hes turned into an all around beast

im just gonna lmao at anybody promoting trading stafford now, and theres a ton of you people, cuz that would be flat out stupid. first of all, youd have to get a pretty powerful player in return and thats exceedingly rare. second, the sabres are in position to get a hometown discount on an emerging star player and they need to try to make that happen before they consider any trades for him that dont bring a bonafide star cuz thats likely what youd be trading away

only if they feel they cant sign him should they give any thought to moving him for anything but an established prime player

I probably could have been less feisty in my response and with my tone, but I think the content still remains accurate. I will presume based on this post that you were not watching the 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs when Brad Richards received the Conn Smythe Trophy for the Tampa Bay Lightning when they won the Stanley Cup? Fair enough. I guess I made a flawed assumption that you watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs and may watch games that do not involve the Sabres from time-to-time. I can accept it if that is not the case and I made a wrong assumption. Oh well.

Honestly, I spend so much time watching and thinking about and writing about the Sabres, I don't have much of a desire to watch other games, regular season or playoffs. I'll watch most of an odd Penguins game. Their series with Washington was tremendous and I watched a good bit of that. I try to watch any game where the Cup can be won and was probably watching when Tampa won it. I still don't remember Richards winning it, and I still couldn't pick him out of a police lineup.

I couldn't tell you who has won the Conn Smythe most years -- except Bernie Parent and Joe N.

Archived