Calling All Miserable Superheroes....

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Damn right I'm better than this, bitcher.

You're really not concerned that Pegula thinks part of the reason the Sabres have "quit" is the coverage in the Buffalo News, which is generally very friendly?

Or that Terry thinks the team quit, but stands so strongly by the head coach and GM, both of whom aren't going anywhere?

My word, how will these impressionable young players react to hearing their owner claim they quit? That'll be the last thing in their heads when they go to bed tonight. That can't be easy.

Damn right I'm better than this, bitcher.

I knew full well what this contained, which is why I specifically invited those who are able to discern information with a critical eye and ear.

This isn't a puppy thread as mentioned.

Well.....now it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfyujRpN37o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I knew full well what this contained, which is why I specifically invited those who are able to discern information with a critical eye and ear.

This isn't a puppy thread as mentioned.

Well.....now it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfyujRpN37o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

That is just outstanding! Congrats! Now this is something to be excited about. :thumbsup:

You're really not concerned that Pegula thinks part of the reason the Sabres have "quit" is the coverage in the Buffalo News, which is generally very friendly?

Or that Terry thinks the team quit, but stands so strongly by the head coach and GM, both of whom aren't going anywhere?

My word, how will these impressionable young players react to hearing their owner claim they quit? That'll be the last thing in their heads when they go to bed tonight. That can't be easy.

You sure it won't be the comparison to a 16 year old daughter.

I have been as positive as anyone about the chances of Pegula buying the team and what his pockets would be able to do. He has proven that is to be the case.

I am glad Pegula put himself out there. He sounds like he is being honest. I also am excited about the renewed energy and return to roots we have seen this week.

I am not happy about GM/Coach for life somehow entrenching themselves into another administration.

This isn't quite as damning at the Watergate tapes, but anyone that has the hopes of a quick turnaround must certainly temper those a bit after listening. At least, any objective and rational person.

I thought the Sabres were headed down when they axed Ted Nolan and brought in Linde, guess what, they went further in the playoffs and to a SC Finals. I thought Line was done after the lockout, guess what, he took 2 teams to the EC Finals. I wouldn't be too quick to ax Linde. It's getting the right players that makes a difference. Linde nor any coach is going to turn a team of career 3rd liners into a SC Finalist. (Ok, some are 2nd line talent but not every night).

Was it a bad day for you guys?

Ruff hired for life!! Darcy with a new lease on life! An energized fan base!

yikes. (Bernier waived j/k)

Seriously, Pegula comes off flat for a round-table interview with repeated questions that start off with unfocused "Dontcha-think" type questions, and then turns into defensive reporters saying "try Montreal." Why are they talking about themselves at all? Why the need to justify their impartiality?

Anyway, I thought this line from Bucky's chat was fair:

"What you need to understand about Pegula is that everything is new. Everything. He hasn't been involved in professional sports. He was running a company, not dealing with how the media interacts with athletes. So there will be an adjustment period. He'll need to know that the media must continue its job because the fans -- the readers and people watching television -- can't be fooled. They're watching too. When things are bad, they want to know why. It can't be ignored, and it's not going to be ignored."

But anyway, as far as the status quo, will Jerry Sullivan be writing for the Buffalo news for life too? Because my paper is important to me too. He's been here longer than Ruff and Darcy. When has he won a Pulitzer? Can we demand Pulitzers? Isn't that the brass ring? We couldn't build around Tom Toles? What has that reporting team done?

Notwoz brings up a lot of good points about Pegs not prepared to meet with the News. If it was just a Q&A without the "you are part of the reason why they quit" remark, he would have been fine. But throwing that kind of "whoa is me" crap, is a lose lose proposition for Pegs. Unless he plans on buying the News and controlling what they write, he needs to deal with the criticism.

"Pretty tough questions for a guy in his first couple of days in town"? Seriously?

I'm still listening, but don't know whether to laugh, cry or feel sorry for him. The warm fuzzy feeling has faded quite a bit since Tuesday.

Was it a bad day for you guys?

Ruff hired for life!! Darcy with a new lease on life! An energized fan base!

yikes. (Bernier waived j/k)

Seriously, Pegula comes off flat for a round-table interview with repeated questions that start off with unfocused "Dontcha-think" type questions, and then turns into defensive reporters saying "try Montreal." Why are they talking about themselves at all? Why the need to justify their impartiality?

Anyway, I thought this line from Bucky's chat was fair:

"What you need to understand about Pegula is that everything is new. Everything. He hasn't been involved in professional sports. He was running a company, not dealing with how the media interacts with athletes. So there will be an adjustment period. He'll need to know that the media must continue its job because the fans -- the readers and people watching television -- can't be fooled. They're watching too. When things are bad, they want to know why. It can't be ignored, and it's not going to be ignored."

But anyway, as far as the status quo, will Jerry Sullivan be writing for the Buffalo news for life too? Because my paper is important to me too. He's been here longer than Ruff and Darcy. When has he won a Pulitzer? Can we demand Pulitzers? Isn't that the brass ring? We couldn't build around Tom Toles? What has that reporting team done?

Because it was being questioned?

The point about Montreal was dead on. If this roster of players gets frazzled by the Buffalo media what chance to they have in a larger market? They have it easy here.

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through this interview. Unless this takes some really dark turn--like a Batman villain--I can't see how you people are negative about this interview or anything said in it.

I guess SDS was right. (Actually, I knew he was right, before this.) If you're negative, you're negative, and won't change. It would be interesting to see how some of you negs who ALSO crap on the fans who go to games, would behave at games yourselves, if you actually went to them.

When this team wins a Cup, you're going to have to find something else to complain about. I don't envy the emptiness you'll feel that day.

Ha ha ha. Only two days into the Pegula era and we are already throwing him under the bus. I have a theory that Buffalo folks need misery and go looking for it even when things go right. The News Sports staff thinks they are just being impartial but really they are a bunch of insufferable douches. The reason we never enjoy success is because deep down we want failure.

PTR

Who is ranked 557th in the world. She hasn't made much at it, but she has won 6K in purses.

She just went pro and was a top junior. She just almost knocked off a player that has been in Grand Slam playoffs. She is also built like an athlete.....the type that would be overlooked by Regier, or told to lose 20 lbs by Ruff. And as of tonight.....I think she has a better handle on dealing with the public than her dad.

I am still thrilled Pegula is here. Quinn is out of town and some transparency and excitement is here. I've always said I can't wrong someone who tries hard, but makes poor decisions.

I will give him until next year to figure things out. We have a week of roster moves to be had, so maybe there will be something to get excited about.

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through this interview. Unless this takes some really dark turn--like a Batman villain--I can't see how you people are negative about this interview or anything said in it.

I guess SDS was right. (Actually, I knew he was right, before this.) If you're negative, you're negative, and won't change. It would be interesting to see how some of you negs who ALSO crap on the fans who go to games, would behave at games yourselves, if you actually went to them.

When this team wins a Cup, you're going to have to find something else to complain about. I don't envy the emptiness you'll feel that day.

Personal attacks. Weak.

"You are the reason why they quit." You really think that was a smart remark to make to the media? What was he trying to achieve by making that statement?

A podcast with us two will be outstanding! :thumbsup: Once I get moved in to the new house I will work on setting it up.

You know what, Pegula probably has a better pulse on how the players are than Sully. If this was teh News's way of establishing a relationship with the new owner. It's pathetic. They both mutually need each other, not Pegula needing the News only. Also, many players, coaches, owners have good relationships and respect for the very media reporters who crriticize them. However, I doubt any of the Sabres or Bills have respect for Sully or Gleason. Felser, Peters, Kelley, they had mutual respect (though Hasak may not have liked the latter).

Ha ha ha. Only two days into the Pegula era and we are already throwing him under the bus. I have a theory that Buffalo folks need misery and go looking for it even when things go right. The News Sports staff thinks they are just being impartial but really they are a bunch of insufferable douches. The reason we never enjoy success is because deep down we want failure.

PTR

Considering this City has never had a major sports team win a championship I wonder what you are basing this assertion on?

She just went pro and was a top junior. She just almost knocked off a player that has been in Grand Slam playoffs. She is also built like an athlete.....the type that would be overlooked by Regier, or told to lose 20 lbs by Ruff. And as of tonight.....I think she has a better handle on dealing with the public than her dad.

I am still thrilled Pegula is here. Quinn is out of town and some transparency and excitement is here. I've always said I can't wrong someone who tries hard, but makes poor decisions.

I will give him until next year to figure things out. We have a week of roster moves to be had, so maybe there will be something to get excited about.

Speaking of transparency, this would seem like a pretty easy misstep to fix. Issue a statement tomorrow saying "quit" was a poor choice of words and blaming the News was wrong. He can emphasize that he's trying to change the culture in town, fans, media and team alike, and that he will continue to have a problem with criticism of his players. That way, he looks like he's defending his players, which I figured would be appreciated in the room, but not when he took it as far as he did in the interview.

Then again, so few people are going to even know about this interview, let alone listen to it, that the old adage, "the more you stir sh*t, the more it stinks" comes to mind. Perhaps better from Team Pegula to leave it alone. The interesting thing for those who want to defend Pegula is that he knew his Goose was cooked a few moments after making the statements in question.

Personal attacks. Weak.

Oh, it's not personal; it's a group mentality that I am challenging.

"You are the reason why they quit." You really think that was a smart remark to make to the media? What was he trying to achieve by making that statement?

Not smart. As to what he was trying to achieve? Positive press for his business, which of course is smart.

A podcast with us two will be outstanding! :thumbsup: Once I get moved in to the new house I will work on setting it up.

I am now more frightened than before.

Hey, if I don't respond for a few days (I may be around tomorrow and Sat. but I may not), it's because I'm in a better place (beaches with family) and not because I'm dodging PA's dull-pointed barbs (had to take one last shot at you, buddy), ok?

Oh, it's not personal; it's a group mentality that I am challenging.

Not smart. As to what he was trying to achieve? Positive press for his business, which of course is smart.

I am now more frightened than before.

Hey, if I don't respond for a few days (I may be around tomorrow and Sat. but I may not), it's because I'm in a better place (beaches with family) and not because I'm dodging PA's dull-pointed barbs (had to take one last shot at you, buddy), ok?

Vacation! Days before the trade deadline? You call yourself a fan? :lol:

Considering this City has never had a major sports team win a championship I wonder what you are basing this assertion on?

2 AFL championships

4 NLL Lacrosse championships

1 MAC College Football championship

But that equals zip, because it's hard to keep up the woe-is-me-we-never-win-anything mantra unless you ignore what goes right. I can just hear when we win the Stanley Cup people will say only a Super Bowl really counts.

PTR

Archived