Calling All Miserable Superheroes....

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through this interview. Unless this takes some really dark turn--like a Batman villain--I can't see how you people are negative about this interview or anything said in it.

I guess SDS was right. (Actually, I knew he was right, before this.) If you're negative, you're negative, and won't change. It would be interesting to see how some of you negs who ALSO crap on the fans who go to games, would behave at games yourselves, if you actually went to them.

When this team wins a Cup, you're going to have to find something else to complain about. I don't envy the emptiness you'll feel that day.

I've already chimed in on my thoughts on this, so, feel free to bash me for this.

I think what has some of us fans concerned, and was questioned heavily in the audio of the editorial board interview, is the reluctance of Mr. Pegula to jettison Regier.

If you google the hockey writers from the 30 NHL teams, you will find a majority of them agree with the writers here in Buffalo.

Dupont out of Boston is the most notable, he clearly stated that if Pegula wants to win the Cup, Regier must go. They would need a more aggressive approach from the General Managers position and Regier, was not in point of fact, a proven winner.

Now, I'm not going to start to push the panic button, but I would like to ask you to stop for a moment, think about what this fan base has gone through, and try to get some clarity on the situation.

I don't know which writer it was, but one of them actually said they had spoken to NHL insiders, GM's and some other folks in the know and he says they were telling him that they just shake their heads at Regier's management style.

I may not like the negativity all of the time, but I will tell you if you stop for a moment, that's a strong statement to make by a news repoter. Also, I combine that with what I've seen in so far as the product on the Ice, including the EonCF runs, and I have more than enough information across the span of time to formulate an opinion.

And that opinion is that it is a monumental mistake to keep Regier as GM, even if Ruff goes because Regier is fired.

These 2 are not the only 2 that hold GM or Coaching positions, there are others, and there are others who have actually Managed/Coached teams to a championship.

I'm going to reserve judgement, as I have said, but to not listen to reason on why there is much concern wouldn't be prudent.

Vacation! Days before the trade deadline? You call yourself a fan? :lol:

Since about 10th grade, i have not sat in a classroom or worked a minute on deadline day. And, while this year it looked a bit shady, but i just got approved to take Monday off few days ago. Can't wait!

2 AFL championships

4 NLL Lacrosse championships

1 MAC College Football championship

But that equals zip, because it's hard to keep up the woe-is-me-we-never-win-anything mantra unless you ignore what goes right. I can just hear when we win the Stanley Cup people will say only a Super Bowl really counts.

PTR

How many here were alive when the Bills won AFL Championships? Lacrosse? MAC Football? This is what you base that absurd assumption on? Really?

Bitchers will be bitchers. Some of you even will just make stuff up to bitch about. This thread is closed as for me. I'll root for the Sabres; you all can keep rooting for misery. (I don't know how DeLuca would live if the Sabres won a Cup.)

Agreed.......best post in this thread by a long shot.

Have any of you numb nuts considered that Regier may only be here for the rest of the season? Maybe they can't go after the GM they want until the season is over? In the meantime how do you get morale up if you publicly say the GM is a dead man walking? Get your panties unwadded. Cripes!

PTR

When asked abut Regier not getting the same level of security at the press conference as he stated about Ruff, Pegs said "Regier ain't going anywhere". I would be shocked if he is fired in the offseason.

Because it was being questioned?

The point about Montreal was dead on. If this roster of players gets frazzled by the Buffalo media what chance to they have in a larger market? They have it easy here.

Just curious, who do you read from the Montreal papers?

Fisher, Stubbs, Hickey?....the thing is, those guys know hockey and are all hockey, they ask good hockey questions, and write good hockey stories. (they are not people double shifting between the Bills/Sabres - that's not a slight on the Buffalo News guys - they have double duty) The hard part of Montreal is not the hockey questions, it is the tabloid element of intrusiveness into players lives, and negotiating the Franco-phone culture and perceived slights. I think there was a dust-up last month about Suban last month dropping the Bleu-Blanc et Rouge on the floor and not picking it up in the next second. Just a different culture.

In Montreal the custom is still for players only to talk to the reporters they want to. It is a concession to the bilinual element there. Maybe somebody has heard different, but that the way I think it still works.

Have any of you numb nuts considered that Regier may only be here for the rest of the season? Maybe they can't go after the GM they want until the season is over? In the meantime how do you get morale up if you publicly say the GM is a dead man walking? Get your panties unwadded. Cripes!

PTR

Maybe, he really has no interest in signing Ruff to an extension?

He didn't hit the Forbes 400 through stupidity. My uninformed guess is that, now from inside the tent, he will monitor how things are going and, near or shortly after the end of the season, will huddle with his people (which probably doesn't include DR or LR) and will put together his organization. They will then start to put the team on ice that they want. It may take a year or two but it is a lot better than the limbo we have been living with with Big Tom (who deserves a good amount of credit for keeping a major league franchise in Buffalo)was the owner.

As far as the Buffalo News goes, which is still living off the national reputation of the old Buffalo Evening News that was owned by the Butlers, who lived locally in the mansion located at the corner of Delaware Ave. and North St. They employ people who, if they are still there after a number of years, are incapable of furthering their careers and moving to larger markets. Sports writers with the reputations of Larry Felser or Bob Curran don't work there any more and the current beat guys who need to pick on someone like TP (has he owned the team for a week yet?)are just trying to make a name for themselves.

As for the Pegula interview-

I didn't have too many problems. I am usually on the positive but i feel i keep an open mind. I am not always the biggest cheerleader but i believe negativity is good at times. He truly believes in changing the culture of the team, and yes, that is needed. He believes that money changes the culture. It could, i don't know. But, at some point, you must look at the talent level. Our top 6 doesn't look like a top 6. Our bottom 6 isn't exactly a bottom 6 either. Our third line has little hope of scoring and brings almost no energy to the game. Kaleta and McCormick are fun to watch, but, when their 2 of few who really bring that type of game, it sets a problem. There must be accountability. I am a big Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff supporter, as you all know, but, letting him run wild may not exactly be the wisest decision. I like additions of Ken Sawyer and Ted Black, but i had hoped they would of added a little bit more to his inner circle. Who's going to be judging Darcy on this weeks moves, on contracts, on a long term plan, on July 1st? I am ok with allowing Darcy be the main man behind the operation, but hoped we'd have guys watching over his back... and i mean hockey guys.

The thing i didn't like, is again to the whole "happy" thing, he believes, keeping guys happy will keep them here, in cases of Drury/Briere, and he used his company as an example. However, i highly doubt too many of his oil workers who made $14 an hour, went to Pegula after 2 years and said "I want $22 an hour, or i'm taking my talents elsewhere".... this is a cap based, production based, professional hockey league.

That all being said, i think we are all over reading it anyways. He's come in here and pleads for a family type atmosphere, says it's all about making everyone happy, then in many interviews says we have to change the culture and have a belief to win the cup, and get positive. He said on WGR that despite them being multi-million athletes, they still lay in bed thinking about all the negativity after bad games. I'm sure this was a strategic plan set up by Sawyer and Black, to make everyone believes in the "plan". And i'm sure it's won over people in media and many fans. But most importantly, that locker room must feel like they have been given a second chance. So, with all that he's saying, how is he supposed to go and say "Darcy is a dead man walking" and "I hate what he's done, he's ruined my team, if he doesnt fix this, he's gone!" He'd look like some bi-polar lunatic.

I've already chimed in on my thoughts on this, so, feel free to bash me for this.

I think what has some of us fans concerned, and was questioned heavily in the audio of the editorial board interview, is the reluctance of Mr. Pegula to jettison Regier.

If you google the hockey writers from the 30 NHL teams, you will find a majority of them agree with the writers here in Buffalo.

Dupont out of Boston is the most notable, he clearly stated that if Pegula wants to win the Cup, Regier must go. They would need a more aggressive approach from the General Managers position and Regier, was not in point of fact, a proven winner.

Now, I'm not going to start to push the panic button, but I would like to ask you to stop for a moment, think about what this fan base has gone through, and try to get some clarity on the situation.

I don't know which writer it was, but one of them actually said they had spoken to NHL insiders, GM's and some other folks in the know and he says they were telling him that they just shake their heads at Regier's management style.

I may not like the negativity all of the time, but I will tell you if you stop for a moment, that's a strong statement to make by a news repoter. Also, I combine that with what I've seen in so far as the product on the Ice, including the EonCF runs, and I have more than enough information across the span of time to formulate an opinion.

And that opinion is that it is a monumental mistake to keep Regier as GM, even if Ruff goes because Regier is fired.

These 2 are not the only 2 that hold GM or Coaching positions, there are others, and there are others who have actually Managed/Coached teams to a championship.

I'm going to reserve judgement, as I have said, but to not listen to reason on why there is much concern wouldn't be prudent.

Here's your error, basing your opinions on hockey writers. Pegula talked to hockey people - players, coaches, people who know the game and the organization. I give Pegula credit for relying on real hockey people, not wannabees. Do you actually think that team owners should base their actions on the opinions of sportswriters?

Ya know who else is good, scary good? Mike Harrington.

Great question. "What did you think about July 1, 2007?" Sneaky. At first, Pegula seemed to have no idea about the significance of that date. It's hard to tell on the tape if Ted or someone else clued him in.

And he was upset he didn't make a run at buying the Sabres before Golisano did because he didn't know the team was for sale?!

Seriously, what kind of fan is he?

Actually, it's not that good of a question. Such an open-ended question gives the person being interviewed way too many opportunities to escape.

If Pegula had been properly prepared, he would have swatted that question away like a fly on a pile of buffalo s**t: One example: "Like many fans, I was saddened to see Briere and Drury leave the organization, but I wasn't there when the two sides discussed the issues. I wasn't privy to the negotiations, so I can't comment, I can't talk about something I don't have personal knowledge about. Next question."

Also, I would argue that to most people, even Sabres fans, 7/1/2007 doesn't resonate the same way that 9/11 does. Not that there's any comparison, but if you start throwing out dates you better make sure they have significance. As for me, mention July 1, and I think Canada Day.

A better question would have been something along the lines of " Many fans still rue the day when the Sabres somehow managed to let both Briere and Drury walk without getting squat in return. How did that example of sublime ineptitude affect you as a fan?"

Fisher, Stubbs, Hickey?....the thing is, those guys know hockey and are all hockey, they ask good hockey questions, and write good hockey stories. (they are not people double shifting between the Bills/Sabres - that's not a slight on the Buffalo News guys - they have double duty) The hard part of Montreal is not the hockey questions, it is the tabloid element of intrusiveness into players lives, and negotiating the Franco-phone culture and perceived slights. I think there was a dust-up last month about Suban last month dropping the Bleu-Blanc et Rouge on the floor and not picking it up in the next second. Just a different culture.

In Montreal the custom is still for players only to talk to the reporters they want to. It is a concession to the bilinual element there. Maybe somebody has heard different, but that the way I think it still works.

I usually read what I come across online.

Thanks for adding to my point. If the Sabre players can't handle the Buffalo News they would melt under the "tabloid element" as you called it. It seems that Sabre players are more suited for a southern market that puts zero pressure on their NHL teams.

PTR

This is a lot like '06-'07 where the high enthusiasm gives a certain "fan" the right to a personal attack on someone who isn't buying champagne for the table. This thread is the perfect example, even though I made it clear ahead of time who would find the information useful.

I guess I AM always negative....

Negative when I said the Sabres gave up their grit and soul at the end of '06 by letting Dumont, McKee, Grier and Pyatt walk.

Negative when I said Darcy was penny wise and pound foolish by hardballing Dumont and Briere, then signing everyone else to avoid arbitration.

Negative when I said Regier was not going to acquire anyone of substance for a push at the cup in '07 because he came public and said Connolly and Afinigenov would be back.

Negative when I said they wouldn't get to the Cup because they weren't built for playoff hockey

Negative when I said both captains would walk.

Negative when I said this team was under an obvious directive to maximize revenue while avoiding investment.

Negative when I said Quinn took ownership in the team to avoid taxes and the team was for sale as they squeeze the last pennies out.

Negative when I said Lindy runs Miller into the ground so he has nothing in the tank when it matters.

Negative when I said last year was an abberation because Miller was extra focused with the olympics and the team was perfectly healthy and could start hot.

These aren't monday morning quarterbackings.....these are things I said in advance, and took plenty of heat for. I would like nothing better than to feel positive about the team....and believe it. Pegula is a great change for many reasons, but if the weakest links remain, and excuses are made to protect them......then it is going to take longer for me to be 100% positive because I can't say I believe in the future with a straight face.

You are talking about a guy here who booked a trip and secured tickets to a Braves' world series in June 2003 because I was so convinced they had what it took to get there. John Shurholtz.....now there's a GM.

It sucks having your favorite team be held hostage and watching the "fans" willingly meet the ransom. This interview with the News is like Jimmy Carter sending in those choppers to Iran. I thought it was going to be over. Now I need to wait for Reagan. Maybe Ted Black likes jellybeans......

I usually read what I come across online.

Thanks for adding to my point. If the Sabre players can't handle the Buffalo News they would melt under the "tabloid element" as you called it. It seems that Sabre players are more suited for a southern market that puts zero pressure on their NHL teams.

I guess you don't see how that leaves the Buffalo writers comparing themselves to "good writers" or tabloid hacks. :beer:

This is a lot like '06-'07 where the high enthusiasm gives a certain "fan" the right to a personal attack on someone who isn't buying champagne for the table. This thread is the perfect example, even though I made it clear ahead of time who would find the information useful.

I guess I AM always negative....

Negative when I said the Sabres gave up their grit and soul at the end of '06 by letting Dumont, McKee, Grier and Pyatt walk.

Negative when I said Darcy was penny wise and pound foolish by hardballing Dumont and Briere, then signing everyone else to avoid arbitration.

Negative when I said Regier was not going to acquire anyone of substance for a push at the cup in '07 because he came public and said Connolly and Afinigenov would be back.

Negative when I said they wouldn't get to the Cup because they weren't built for playoff hockey

Negative when I said both captains would walk.

Negative when I said this team was under an obvious directive to maximize revenue while avoiding investment.

Negative when I said Quinn took ownership in the team to avoid taxes and the team was for sale as they squeeze the last pennies out.

Negative when I said Lindy runs Miller into the ground so he has nothing in the tank when it matters.

Negative when I said last year was an abberation because Miller was extra focused with the olympics and the team was perfectly healthy and could start hot.

These aren't monday morning quarterbackings.....these are things I said in advance, and took plenty of heat for. I would like nothing better than to feel positive about the team....and believe it. Pegula is a great change for many reasons, but if the weakest links remain, and excuses are made to protect them......then it is going to take longer for me to be 100% positive because I can't say I believe in the future with a straight face.

You are talking about a guy here who booked a trip and secured tickets to a Braves' world series in June 2003 because I was so convinced they had what it took to get there. John Shurholtz.....now there's a GM.

It sucks having your favorite team be held hostage and watching the "fans" willingly meet the ransom. This interview with the News is like Jimmy Carter sending in those choppers to Iran. I thought it was going to be over. Now I need to wait for Reagan. Maybe Ted Black likes jellybeans......

:clapping:

When asked abut Regier not getting the same level of security at the press conference as he stated about Ruff, Pegs said "Regier ain't going anywhere". I would be shocked if he is fired in the offseason.

My recollection of Pegula's presser comments were that Ruff "ain't going anywhere" but that Darcy "has earned" the right to stay or continue or whatever. We need to pay greater attention to his press conference comments more than his Buffalo News editorial board comments because the presser conference comments were the result of the new ownership's brain trust's meeting of the minds. There's a big fracking difference here. In Lindy's case, it a matter of "he's my man." In Darcy's case, it's we'll see how he does over the next 12 months. Pegula made the mistake in the News conference of using that "ain't going nowhere" phrase in reference to Darcy. I guarantee that he and his advisors and handlers regret him saying that, because they have Darcy in their sights. If he doesn't live up to expectations, he's toast. The thing is, he was better scripted during the press conference,. And he was left to his own devices during the News editorial board meeting.

The martyr part? really? C'mon brother.

How much did you we really learn from this flat interview. That there were two minutes were it felt a little hostile, and some defensive leaps of logic.

There is a learning curve even for the rich.

Good points, X. In fact during the presser Harrington mentioned something about being the Bisons' beat reporter (this happened after Pegula misspoke and referred to the Bandits as the Bisons). So, did Harrington get pulled into this hockey press conference when he's really thinking about the Bisons (and by extension the Mets) opening training camp? Who knows. But as a former journalist, I know they'll never, ever admit that someone covering an event wasn't totally immersed in the topic.

Bucky is a hockey writer, and I think he's pretty good and could evolve into a really good hockey writer someday. Sullivan is a "senior" columnist. Trust me I know, when a newspaper calls someone "senior" anything, it's a euphemism for prima donna (how do I know, my wife is a senior writer at her newspaper. She's good, damn good in fact. But's she's a prima donna.) Harrington is not a hockey reporter. So the News had a bunch of people there who were pretending to know about hockey. In that case, it's pot luck.

Archived