Calling All Miserable Superheroes....

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Emergency.

We have us a little problem here.

Let me just give you a tasty tidbit to encourage you to listen to the whole meeting.

Pegula: "The reason the team quit is because of you guys in this room."

I'm only 1/3 through, but grab a barf bucket. Pegula defends Darcy to the death.

Pegula/Buff News Editorial meeting

I don't know if I can bring myself to listen. I fully believe Ruff & Regier will be here for the 11-12 season which I am not happy about, but I'll give Pegs a pass on this,because I think they will be gone quickly if the results aren't there.

Now two days later this. I know you only provided one quote, but...sitting down with the News staffers for a "let's all get on the same page" meeting? Who is advising Pegula? :blink:

PS Labatt only has one "B". :angry:

Haha - just when I was marveling how the new regime had so affected everyone that there were no requests for the Complaint Thursdays thread... ;)

Unfortunately this Frankencomputer I have at work doesn't seem to have a proper sound card driver installed or I'd listen to a bit of it.

I don't know if I can listen. I fully believe Ruff & Regier will be here for the 11-12 season which I am not happy about, but I'll give Pegs a pass on this,because I think they will be gone quickly if the results aren't there.

Now two days later this. I know you only provided one quote, but...sitting down with the News staffers for a "let's all get on the same page" meeting? Who is advising Pegula? :blink:

It has 2 B's after you've drank 8 of them

That was alot of ammunition Pegs just handed the local media. I guess we'll see how thick his skin is now.

I am cautiusly optimistic about this guy but his his fanboi act towards Lindy especially and Darcy to a lesser extent troubles me somewhat. I hope he is the sort of guy who is capable of changing his mind about these guys if they aren't getting it done in short order.

Haha - just when I was marveling how the new regime had so affected everyone that there were no requests for the Complaint Thursdays thread... ;)

Unfortunately this Frankencomputer I have at work doesn't seem to have a proper sound card driver installed or I'd listen to a bit of it.

That's why I put the call out to the "negative nancys".

I was excited. Still have some hope.....but this is scary stuff. Nothing to break the perception of fragile little children like the new owner blaming the media for the team quitting and comparing the players to a 16 year old girl.

That was alot of ammunition Pegs just handed the local media. I guess we'll see how thick his skin is now.

I am cautiusly optimistic about this guy but his his fanboi act towards Lindy especially and Darcy to a lesser extent troubles me somewhat. I hope he is the sort of guy who is capable of changing his mind about these guys if they aren't getting it done in short order.

For some reason, I picture Larry Quinn rubbing his hands together and laughing like a mad man as he goes, "I got you again, suckas....hahahahaha!!"

For those that don't like Sully, he's got nads. He doesn't back down. Not from Miller, not from Pegula.

Emergency.

We have us a little problem here.

Let me just give you a tasty tidbit to encourage you to listen to the whole meeting.

Pegula: "The reason the team quit is because of you guys in this room."

I'm only 1/3 through, but grab a barf bucket. Pegula defends Darcy to the death.

Pegula/Buff News Editorial meeting

Go Get 'em Pegs... I admire him taking the News head on.. He's not backing down to these guys. In fact, he has them back pedaling.

I am going to wait until I am tired and then give a listen, so I can then go to bed and make believe I was dreaming.

When are the meetings with WGRZ, WIVB, WKBW, ArtVoice, BuffaloRising, and last but not least SDS going to be scheduled. :D What will Scott say when his back is against the wall and Pegs hits him with "You are either with us or against us".

"I'm going to waste money on scouting and player development"..

"put the gas pedal on the floor and do it"....

" we want to be better at finding, developing and keeping our people" ...

trade deadline:

"if there are any moves made, they'll be tailored to help the team in the long run".

"from this day forward, we are building a team to win the stanley cup"

"There will be no panic moves to get rid of salaries"

If you listen to the entire questioning on Darcy, not just the short version, it becomes obviously clear the media handed him his ass on that subject. He attempted to use his daughter as an example, but towards the end he really sounded like he wasn't entirely clued in as to how a majority of the fan base feels. And he certainly backed off as the media layed it on the table for him.

My hats off to our editorial board, they did a great job in that section of the interview process.

As for whether or not keeping Regier was a good idea, I believe if Mr. Pegula is not as informed as he appears to be, he's in for a rude awakening as expectations shrink and the honey moon comes to an end and the team is still in the Status Quo position.

I am starting to believe many on these boards, we could very well be looking at 6 to 10 years before our first Cup Run, let alone victory, given his support of Regier. This is not a good sign at all for the short term prospect of this team.

Just my thoughts.

Some positives.....They WILL be a major player in free agency.

Even though he seems to disdain the media, he wrapped it up by saying he will have open dialogue with them.

Claims Lydman/Tallinder were made to walk directly because of Golisano.

More negs...

Claims he doesn't need to know exact details of why Drury/Briere left and it should be left in the past....yet he defends Regier.

Uses injuries as an excuse as to why team hasn't done better the past 4 years.

Uses Drury as an example of a good move not to resign someone, yet fails to mention guys like Dumont, Briere, Pyatt, Grier who were left to walk and all thrived.

We are still in better hands, but for a guy that just plunked down close to $200MM........I wish he'd look at things with a more critical eye instead of acting like a daddy or a blindfaith fan.

Go Get 'em Pegs... I admire him taking the News head on.. He's not backing down to these guys. In fact, he has them back pedaling.

You need to add an sarcastic emoticon at the end of your post. For a second I thought you were serious.

Seems like we have a star struck fragile little billionaire on our hands. I could only imagine if Larry Quinn came out and compared this team to his 16 year old daughter.

An extremely uncomfortable and unimpressive interview for Pegula. It is apparent that he has read his copy of the Buffalo Sabres excuses list.

Looks like he has been infected by Status Quo. Hopefully it wears off quickly.

Some positives.....They WILL be a major player in free agency.

Even though he seems to disdain the media, he wrapped it up by saying he will have open dialogue with them.

Claims Lydman/Tallinder were made to walk directly because of Golisano.

More negs...

Claims he doesn't need to know exact details of why Drury/Briere left and it should be left in the past....yet he defends Regier.

Uses Drury as an example of a good move not to resign someone, yet fails to mention guys like Dumont, Briere, Pyatt, Grier who were left to walk and all thrived.

We are still in better hands, but for a guy that just plunked down close to $200MM........I wish he'd look at things with a more critical eye instead of acting like a daddy or a blindfaith fan.

Are we? The Sabres need a strong owner and strong hockey people running this team or he is just wasting money. How long do fans expect that to last? At some point he will get bored with spending millions of dollars without getting the results.

I don't know if I can bring myself to listen. I fully believe Ruff & Regier will be here for the 11-12 season which I am not happy about, but I'll give Pegs a pass on this,because I think they will be gone quickly if the results aren't there.

I'm not so sure. Wasn't that the same feeling fans had under Golisano and Quinn?

This REALLY bothered me. Did Boston not have a star on their team out with an injury last Spring? Do other teams not rise above injuries? Excuses. Blech.

I wish he'd look at things with a more critical eye instead of acting like a daddy or a blindfaith fan.

I hope that interview was just a show for the team to see he has their back publicly and that he is much more critical behind closed doors. But it has me concerned for just how much of a fan he really is.

Are we? The Sabres need a strong owner and strong hockey people running this team or he is just wasting money. How long do fans expect that to last? At some point he will get bored with spending millions of dollars without getting the results.

His denial or emotional immaturity....whatever that was on display, is a bit frightening. He is going to get better results by definition. Will those be Stanley Cup results any time soon? Probably not.

I think I'm going to hold out on those tickets for another year. This isn't a total balloon burster, but the guys at the News have to be shakin their heads.

His denial or emotional immaturity....whatever that was on display, is a bit frightening. He is going to get better results by definition. Will those be Stanley Cup results any time soon? Probably not.

I think I'm going to hold out on those tickets for another year. This isn't a total balloon burster, but the guys at the News have to be shakin their heads.

It might be best for all involved if he stayed away from giving interviews for a while.

Probably correct on the guys at the News. They're no strangers to what has gone on, but I, like you, will reserve judgement for another season. Let's see if this approach with the wallet open actually changes anything.

Probably correct on the guys at the News. They're no strangers to what has gone on, but I, like you, will reserve judgement for another season. Let's see if this approach with the wallet open actually changes anything.

Which is very interesting. It's now like some Sabre fans are now excited about the Sabres taking a New York Ranger's approach.

I hope that interview was just a show for the team to see he has their back publicly and that he is much more critical behind closed doors. But it has me concerned for just how much of a fan he really is.

That's a good point. If I hadn't seen him on display the past few days I would say great point.

What is scary now is that if Pegula has a hard time understanding why fans are critical of the team.....what happens when he keeps status quo and the city turns on him when there aren't results? Will he get upset and leave?

I've told this story before, but when you are in the public eye, you need to have a thick skin. I've had people call friends at the track a POS and every other name in the book after they lost a race. As we were unsaddling a filly at Saratoga, I had a guy look at me in the face and say he hopes she breaks a leg and dies. I wanted to choke him. But then I understood he probably just bet the electric bill money on her and she didn't win. I've read blogs and message boards about the stable and some horses....and if you know the truth is something else, you don't let it bother you. And every now and then someone makes a good point that you may not have thought of yourself....it happens.

Which is very interesting. It's now like some Sabre fans are now excited about the Sabres taking a New York Ranger's approach.

Well, in all fairness, the Money will help.

But if he thinks he's going to address the most obvious need on this team (center depth at line's 1 and 3) via Free Agency this off season, I'd hope that someone is pointing out that it isn't there. And if you don't correct this problem, you'll have the same results next season.

The only way your going to get it corrected is via the trade market and during the deadline, you can get some good deals if you have a GM worth a crap.

I'm not talking about the Stastny's or Weiss' either, those guys would be expensive to get but well worth it in my opinion. No, I'm talking about a guy like O'Reilly from Colorado. Young and sure to be a fantastic line 3 shutdown center for years to come while potting 40 to 50 points a season centering young talent coming up.

But to sit idly by the way Regier does and get nothing accomplished during this time of year is unexceptable.

Like I said, if the Status Quo continues, the honey moon is going to be over real quick. As some one else stated in this thread, he'd better grow some thick skin quickly if that's the case.

Just listened to it. Wow. Double wow.

Guess the charm campaign came to a screeching halt for the ink-stained wretches.

Ghost, he not only said "hate," but "sucked" and "pissed." The real TP emerges!

But, seriously, the "quit" in the Sabres team has been coming from the Buffalo News?!

I am greatly concerned!

Here's my 2 cents:

What is painfully apparent is that Pegula is not ready for prime time when it comes to public speaking or dealing with the media. There's a real skill and knack to dealing with the media, and until he learns how to spar with the media, he's going to look silly whenever the media gets done with him. I mean he was lousy last night with Kevin Sylvester, and it's not like Sylvester was throwing high heat. If I were the Sabres PR guy, I'd think about calling in sick for the next month.

As a side note: Was that Sullivan who referred to Sawyer as "Sweeney or whatever his name is."? If so, that tells me a lot about Sullivan. I mean there are only three new names to learn -- and even I have learned how to spell Pegula.

But back to Pegula.

First reaction, based on the first 10-12 minutes (not quite sure because the News player isn't sophisticated enough to include a timer):

Pegula is not prepared for public speaking, and was totally unprepared for that editorial board meeting. Consequently, if you are his handler, you don't let him out in public. But if you do, it's in really tightly controlled situations. If I were Michael Gilbert (the Sabres press guy), there's no way I'd have agreed to let him into that meeting. If he did say OK, I'd be updating my resume, or looking for someone to throw under the bus. He totally failed in preparing Pegula for the meeting, otherwise Pegula wouldn't have sounded so naive or so uninformed. I wish I had a copy of that video, it would be great training material on how NOT to go into an interview.

Any flack with any skill should have prepped Pegula for every question I've heard so far. He should have been able to answer those questions backward, forward, inside-out and upside down. No company or association that I have ever worked for would let an executive loose without extensive media training. Why? Because if you let an exec go in cold or wing it, you end up with interviews like this.

Sullivan will have a field day with the results of that meeting whenever he gets around to writing his column. He is going to make Pegula look like a horse's ass. That's what he is paid to do.

As for my take on Pegula: I'm going to wait and see what transpires over the next 12-24 months. Why? I don't own the team and I don't have any alternatives. Besides, maybe his skill is running a business and putting together a good management team and not public speaking.

Archived