The blueprint to a Stanley Cup in 3 years or less

Weave

How many Cups did he win with Boston?

Fixed it. My point was that Bourque was a top notch defender for many, many years, something we need. Hopefully Myers won't be on a crap team for years like Bourque was. So I've changed it to Brian Leetch. Better?

Bottom line is trading Myers would mean that Pegula really ISN'T serious about winning the Cup. Myers will be a Norris winner and a Cup winner, hopefully in Buffalo!

Any thoughts on what Brayden Schenn would cost from LA? I don't think it's as much as we think. In comparison Kessel was only worth 2 #1s and he had NHL track record. Schenn's a prospect, granted a highly rated one, but a prospect none the less.

The difference is Kessel was an RFA who was going to be signed to an expensive extension that Boston couldn't afford. Schenn is still on his entry level contract and the Kings are building from the ground up. Does it make much sense to trade a highly rated prospect for the uncertainty of drafting more prospects? They'd prob be looking for a top line winger to pair with Kopitar as that seems to be what they've been after for awhile. But I'm not sure Vanek and a 1st even gets it done.

Fixed it. My point was that Bourque was a top notch defender for many, many years, something we need. Hopefully Myers won't be on a crap team for years like Bourque was. So I've changed it to Brian Leetch. Better?

Bottom line is trading Myers would mean that Pegula really ISN'T serious about winning the Cup. Myers will be a Norris winner and a Cup winner, hopefully in Buffalo!

A young Myers is just the kind of player that you trade to get.

The nice thing is the price is cheap. He's on the roster.

The problem with your response is that you have rejected trading Myers without knowing what he may fetch in return. What about 100 1st round draft picks?

So, there is a price - correct?

How many Cups did he win with Boston?

If the point is if you think there is a player out there that you feel gives you a better chance to win a Cup and he costs you Myers than you should do it, I agree. There are no unavailable players, everyone has a price.

If the point is that Myers is being compared to another defenseman, in this case Bourque, and therefore Myers will never win the Cup because Bourque didn't with Boston, then I disagree. Cause that makes no sense.

Little ones, Dead wood out the door, see what the kids have got, clear cap space for the summer to add more pieces. I see us targeting players 30 or under this off-season and it may not all get done this year but the culture change will definitely happen this year. Floaters out, workers in. Any deal to get Connolly out the door is HUGE.

I agree.

We need workers...

Connolly needs to go. He plays well when it works for him.

That will not work, just like Pegula said about him working at his East Resource.

Gotta have hard work, thats how money comes in and why he is RICH...

I say within 5-7 years

Is the thread not called "The blueprint to a Stanley Cup in 3 years or less?" Ray Bourque had to be traded to Colorado to get a sniff at the Cup.

If you are building a Champion you can't be married to your own players. Would Green Bay be Super Bowl Champs if they held on to Farve? Hell no! If it took Myers to bring in a Getzlaf, a Duchene or a Richards (Brad or Mike) the Sabres need to be prepared to pull the trigger on the deal.

For the record, I am not saying that those players are available. Just saying if they were you need to be ready to get it done.

So, making it to the Finals 2x doesn't count as 'get[ting] a sniff at the Cup?' :blink:

I guess Mr. Pegula's boys have never had one either based on that criteria. So what exactly does constitute 'get[ting] a sniff?' Only the winners came close? :unsure:

We are not as far away as some think.

We have the goalie and the coach

Vanek and Pominville are legitimate first line NHL wingers

Roy is as good a second liner as you will find in this league and this year's Stafford is certainly respectable in that role

Hecht and Gaustad are limited offensively, but solid NHL third liners

McCormick and Kaleta are the type of gritty guys I want on my fourth line.

Plug Ennis — who is only going to get better — into the mix somewhere in the top nine.

Leopold, Weber, Sekera and Morrison are a capable 3-6 on the blueline.

I'd dump all of our RFAs for whatever picks or prospects we can get, then turn picks, prospects and $15 million in cap space this summer to acquire:

A legitimate offensive weapon with some grit to really elevate the first two lines (a Zach Parise-type):

A warrior and a leader with the ability to score 20-25 goals on the second or third line.

A capable top-four (preferably top-two) defenceman

Then I'd make Enroth our back-up, have Gerbe, Adam, Kassian, Butler, Schiestel and Brennan nipping at everybody's heels.

And cross our fingers that Myers can be our #1 D

And then I'd be sitting back to enjoy the ride.

I want to roll the dice with gerbe and keep him around in our bottom 6, ennis will be a great Roy replacement, and franchise the shut out of myers. Outside help we need 1 scoring winger (make a superstar offer to stamkos) and 1 all around captain (is peca still retired?) (joking, maybe teach stafford how to center and put vanek and semin on that line) then make sure the players want to stay! Enroth will be millers new biron and we won't wear him out too much. I think miller has to be the happiest sabre right now.

Kassian and Adams are the type of young players we need to stock up now, I think at the capline they will permanently bring up a few youngins, I'm hoping kassian, maybe psyke but I haven't Seen how he's played. I'd prefer to dump connelly, Hecht, oldermier, and either Roy or stafford (someone we all love is leaving soon) and bring in a 90+pt center and some freshmen meat to get kassian ready for next year.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the roster looks like next year, let alone in 3 years, but here is a list of players I think should be gone next season...

Grier, Niedermayer, Lalime, Gaustad, Hecht & Connolly

I don't know what to do with Pominville and Stafford. When Pominville is good, he can be a solid top 6 winger. When he is not good...ughhh. Stafford...one year wonder or the guy who finally "gets it"??

If their development continues, I can see the following prospects in blue & gold within 2 to 4 years(some much sooner)...

Kassian, Adam, Foligno, Schiestel, McNabb & Pysyk

They need to figure out a way to get another scoring line center either by trade or FA.

I'm wondering if Malkin can be had in the offseason and what it would take to get him. Pittsburgh is LOADED with forwards that are going to be FA's in the offseason. They are already weak in their wings and have a ton of wingers with expiring contracts. Malkin would go a long way towards solving our #1 center problems. I would imagine that a Malkin-Vanek pairing would be electric. I'm sure Stafford would have to be involved to make it happen. And several high picks and prospects too. They'd probably ask for Kassian coming back.

Would it be worth it?

ETA- They have 9 forwards under contract for next year, 2 of them are entry level deal players. They will likely need to sign 3 or 4 more forwards. If the cap goes up another $2M that will leave them with about $5M to sign 4 forwards.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the roster looks like next year, let alone in 3 years, but here is a list of players I think should be gone next season...

Grier, Niedermayer, Lalime, Gaustad, Hecht & Connolly

I've no problem with us keeping Goose and Hecht on as bottom six forwards, checking line or 4th line, and paying them more relevant money than what they have now.

I've no problem with us keeping Goose and Hecht on as bottom six forwards, checking line or 4th line, and paying them more relevant money than what they have now.

Well, this is scary to me. Hecht already makes 3.5 mil, If we did keep him for the bottom 6 (which I say no thank you to, but just my opinion) that is a great deal of money for him. Goose is a bit overpayed as well for the role he plays.

I'd like to move on from a majority of this current roster and build a "gritty" team that produces on the ice.

Interesting. We have Malkin in the off season on here, ideas about trading guys now to make way for prospects/rookies, and things like morrisonn is a def we should keep at all. Well I am gonna through some random thoughts out there. First I like the idea of going for Malkin but I do not think Regier would or that he would stay healthy (he seems to get injured). Second San Jose has 3 centers in the top 25 in the league. Couture could be a fluke but hes got 1 year left on his contract and if San Jose is up against the cap and probably will be next year. Thorton and Pavelski are signed for 4 years so why not offer them a guy like stafford and and maybe a pick. They have RW issues, they have heatley lw, Marleu lw/c, clowe lw, and are weak on the right side. We like to trade with them and to move couture out and bring stafford in would be a small cap move for them. Just a thought and it could blow up but if I could move Drew for Couture even though hes gonna be rookie of the year I would explore that option. Of course this wont happen as are fearless darcy isnt gonna do jack. Another Idea, Zajac out of NJ. The devils have arnott who they would like to move but might not then they have zubrus. The thinking here is that if you pry zajac out then they could resign arnott and you could give them again a right wing as they are weaker on that side. The Sabres need to analyze what places they are strong or over abundant in and find teams who need that and have what we are weak and these two example which I know wont happen are good examples of where to look and how to start building a cup team.

Leopold, Weber, Sekera and Morrison are a capable 3-6 on the blueline.

I'd dump all of our RFAs for whatever picks or prospects we can get, then turn picks, prospects and $15 million in cap space this summer to acquire:

A legitimate offensive weapon with some grit to really elevate the first two lines (a Zach Parise-type):

A warrior and a leader with the ability to score 20-25 goals on the second or third line.

A capable top-four (preferably top-two) defenceman

Then I'd make Enroth our back-up, have Gerbe, Adam, Kassian, Butler, Schiestel and Brennan nipping at everybody's heels.

And cross our fingers that Myers can be our #1 D

Here is a list of those players you would like to dump and I included UFA's as well: Connolly, Stafford-rfa, Grier, Niedermyer, Gerbe-rfa, Mcormick, Rivet, Montador, Sekera-rfa, Butler-rfa, weber-rfa. Most of the RFA's are players we should be keeping. Weber is a team best +12. Stafford leads in goals. Gerbe is getting garbage ice time. Butler and Sekera are unknown but show promise. We are already going to have 15.05million in cap space With the subtraction of Connolly, rivet, Grier, Niedermyer and our current cap space. Now That being said there are some players like Hecht and Morrisson that if you moved could free up another 5.5mil totally 20.55 without touching a single RFA The Sabres have the space to sign someone around 6mil unless they move pommers and then we could sign 2 guys at 6mil. There is alot of room to play on this team right now and signing the right players this offseason is the best bet :wallbash:

Archived