Game Discussion Thread

Eleven

My observations without reading every post above:

(1) I got to meet biodork and Mr. biodork. That was really cool; both are good folks. Hope they have safe travels back to MIddle Penna.

(4) I know a lot of people are on Niedermayer for his uselessness. At least he's part of a shut-down line. You want useless? Look more locally (but that's not popular, right?) at Kaleta. After the refs had several conversations with him in the first period, he was hardly even out there in the second and third. (Even when the score was tied.) I think it's cool to have an Angola kid on the team, but not at the expense of players who might contribute.

(6) Miller was awesome. 31 saves through two is awesome.

(1) Good to meet you, too! Glad you made it over to our section to say hi. We got back a little after 9, so not too bad (and much better driving weather after coming up yesterday through that lovely surprise lake effect snow, lol.)

(4) I'm really torn on Kaleta. He did seem kind of useless out there today, and frankly I would rather see Gerbe or McCormick on the third line in place of Nieds so they get more ice time. Kaleta was kind of unnecessary against the Caps since the game wasn't very physical at all. I was wondering - does anyone know if he's still wearing a cast on his wrist? That might be keeping him from really mixing it up, in which case he becomes pretty ineffective.

(6) Agreed - that save on the 5 on 3 in the first was sweet. I initially thought the Caps goal where the punk bounced kinda funny was weak, but after watching the replay I think Ennis should have been backchecking a lot harder -- he just kind of coasted in frame after the goal went in.

Bummed the Sabres lost today... at least I got to see them win in Phoenix last month, but this is now three years in a row in Buffalo I've seen them lose. :thumbdown:

It didn't come out that way to me at first, and with all the Miller pundits running rampant since the Isles game (some even employed by the Buffalo News), it was easy to think Miller was being blasted again. But, all's well, I see your point now.

Excellent I actual like miller cuz he shows anger and he hates to lose. hes played alot better and hopefully last year was not the exception. Time will tell. Miller deserves some offense. Wish this team could give it to him. Mike Weber btw has been impressive and has alot of trade value. of course if darcy does that I would ask for his head on a platter. Just to clarify, Miller should be our Goalie and enroth the backup until milsys contract ends. :wallbash:

The problem as I see it.....Tim C is the only center that is making consistently good entries. Gaustad can't carry it in the zone, but provides good puck support for the wingers in the Corners. Tim is the opposite, he can gain the zone, but isn't terrific with support. There is nobody else.

Occasionally the wings are bringing it in, Ennis in particular, Pomiville to some degree, and teams are squeezing these guys out as soon as they wheel around high. They can't break down the defense from the points.

For the past few weeks (without Roy) the Sabres got away with overloading one side and then throwing it to the opposite corner to the third forward or even the defense-man, like a timing play. Toronto, St. Louis and Washington have picked up on it. The other option is having the wingers move to center to bring it through the middle. Gerbe does okay at times, but him and Hecht are wingers.

Like it or not, the strength of this team is the wings. They just don't have the puck support in the offensive zone to beat teams playing well.

Ruff really has done a decent job with a limited team IMO. They just don't have good options through the middle. A hot power-play was keeping these guys alive. Byron and Adam are promising but not quite there yet. Not having Roy makes this a pretty one dimensional team.

Good post.

Absolutely, good point! Our forwards are like a football offense that can consistently drive inside teh 30 yard line but rarely gets a TD. On power plays and 5 on 5 I've seen on occassion, excellent puck control around the boards, but that's where it ends. Rarely do they get the puck to the slot or in position for a quality shot. And, when a shot is taken, it is weak or well defensed; rarely producing a quality scoring chance let alone a goal. We have some fine puck handlers (Connelly, Ennis, Vanek and others), but poor decision making (in Connelly's case, none, he stickhandles himself into a corner and gets the puck extracted) and slow shot set-up (need more one timers, the SC finalist used them a lot last June)

The drain of talent might be one reason why Ruff did not extend his contract. He doesn't have, or worse yet, lost the players who can finish those plays. He may not say it in public, but the FO led talent drain hung him out to dry.

I would tend to agree with this. Another failure of this team is dumping the puck in and recovering it. They simply refuse to do it. The like to carry it in and try and make some weird pass as the blue line, which either leaves them easily defended or offside. Carrying the puck in only works if you can get the D to back up, but no team out there will back up against us.

When your strongest player along the boards is Nathan Gerbe, you have talent issues.

Hmm I could agree with the connolly making good entries, but after that He kinda fizzles and we are not gonna resign him so trade him. Ennis is a little blind sometimes like old maxim and gerbe is skilled but ruff dumps him on a garbage line, At least this game Stafford and Vanek were back together for awhile. Those two with a top center like (Stastny) what? colorado likes to trade. would be awesome! Come on tuesday!

Hmm I could agree with the connolly making good entries, but after that He kinda fizzles and we are not gonna resign him so trade him. Ennis is a little blind sometimes like old maxim and gerbe is skilled but ruff dumps him on a garbage line, At least this game Stafford and Vanek were back together for awhile. Those two with a top center like (Stastny) what? colorado likes to trade. would be awesome! Come on tuesday!

Asking price is way out of our limit...

Rumors – yup, I’ve heard a few. I have no real confidence in this one, but I’ve heard this one going around the water cooler. Ready?

Stastny, TJ Galiardi and maybe a pick/another player to Los Angeles for Jack Johnson, Jonathan Bernier and Jarret Stoll.

Link- http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/20/avs-now-with-five-centers-whos-going-to-go/6559/

Even if that is partially true, forget Stastny.

Asking price is way out of our limit...

Rumors – yup, I’ve heard a few. I have no real confidence in this one, but I’ve heard this one going around the water cooler. Ready?

Stastny, TJ Galiardi and maybe a pick/another player to Los Angeles for Jack Johnson, Jonathan Bernier and Jarret Stoll.

Why? That's roughly the same a Rivet, Lalime, and Connolly, right? ;)

OK, so it's more like Myers, Enroth, and Roy ...

(4) I'm really torn on Kaleta. He did seem kind of useless out there today, and frankly I would rather see Gerbe or McCormick on the third line in place of Nieds so they get more ice time. Kaleta was kind of unnecessary against the Caps since the game wasn't very physical at all. I was wondering - does anyone know if he's still wearing a cast on his wrist? That might be keeping him from really mixing it up, in which case he becomes pretty ineffective.

Kaleta played yesterday? I seriously don't remember hearing his name at all. That makes the team like 0-4 in games he has played since he returned. He obviously is not 100% right now and needs to sit a bit longer.

Kaleta played yesterday? I seriously don't remember hearing his name at all. That makes the team like 0-4 in games he has played since he returned. He obviously is not 100% right now and needs to sit a bit longer.

yea...he made an impact in the 3rd. His line was the only line that showed enthusiasm in the 3rd.

yea...he made an impact in the 3rd. His line was the only line that showed enthusiasm in the 3rd.

He made no impact in the third whatsoever, and his line was not the only one that showed enthusiasm. Team-wide lack of effort wasn't the problem yesterday.

He made no impact in the third whatsoever, and his line was not the only one that showed enthusiasm. Team-wide lack of effort wasn't the problem yesterday.

ok whatever. I'm not going to argue over something so meaningless, so you might as well put your gun back in its holster.

B-)

That was a bad call, only because not 3 minutes later, a Sabre was impeded in the exact same manner and there was no call.

Lindy had no problem with the call.

"We took a couple of bad ones, even the last penalty (Morrisonn) it was a penalty and it was a penalty we don't need to take."

ok whatever. I'm not going to argue over something so meaningless, so you might as well put your gun back in its holster.

B-)

I don't have a gun. Janie took it.

Lindy had no problem with the call.

"We took a couple of bad ones, even the last penalty (Morrisonn) it was a penalty and it was a penalty we don't need to take."

It was a penalty but the same penalty was committed a few times by Washington.

Archived