Team Pegula starting to form

Two or less

Per Jeff Russo's twitter-

Sources Ted Black, former Pittsburgh Penguins VP of Business & Legal affairs set to join #Sabres Mng Team under Terry Pegula.

Link- http://twitter.com/#!/JeffRussoWKBW/status/37293064435417088

Article i found on Black- http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_555499.html

A little hint that there could be a much needed shakeup in the Sabres broadcasts and/or a regional sports network with the Sabres as anchor?

Channel 7 has this:

While it remains unclear what his exact title will be, Black is expected to have a similar role to that of outgoing Managing Partner Larry Quinn.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/Sources-Former-Penguins-executive-set-to-join-Sabres-management-team-116196334.html

:blink:

A little hint that there could be a much needed shakeup in the Sabres broadcasts and/or a regional sports network with the Sabres as anchor?

Channel 7 has this:

While it remains unclear what his exact title will be, Black is expected to have a similar role to that of outgoing Managing Partner Larry Quinn.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/Sources-Former-Penguins-executive-set-to-join-Sabres-management-team-116196334.html

:blink:

Soooooooo............he's going to over see the Inner Harbor Development? :rolleyes:

Interesting. Buh bye MSG?

Interesting. After reading Bucky's column on Sunday, this was one of the things that I think he did not mention in his column. He only looked at personnel as the top 5 things for Pegula. Frankly, I think the broadcast rights, a separate Buffalo Sabres Sports Channel with High Def broadcasting has to be on his top hit list.

A frind of mine who worked for the Pens says Black was their in-house legal counsel ... he says he was a sharp attorney but a bit of a "jock sniffer" ... interpret that as you like, I got it in a text so I have no further explanation.

But he worked for the Pens in that role for like 3 times as long as he was at Fox Sports Pgh ... it doesn't seem his background is in broadcasting, so it may be jumping the gun to start thinking THAT is where he will have an impact ... and frankly, if Pegula's first move is to worry about the TV thing, I will be worried. They have way more important stuff to worry about before the TV broadcast. Not saying it is perfect, but as long as I can see the games, worry about the hockey product first. There is nothing to indicate this guy has ever made or will be making hockey decisons.

A frind of mine who worked for the Pens says Black was their in-house legal counsel ... he says he was a sharp attorney but a bit of a "jock sniffer" ... interpret that as you like, I got it in a text so I have no further explanation.

But he worked for the Pens in that role for like 3 times as long as he was at Fox Sports Pgh ... it doesn't seem his background is in broadcasting, so it may be jumping the gun to start thinking THAT is where he will have an impact ... and frankly, if Pegula's first move is to worry about the TV thing, I will be worried. They have way more important stuff to worry about before the TV broadcast. Not saying it is perfect, but as long as I can see the games, worry about the hockey product first. There is nothing to indicate this guy has ever made or will be making hockey decisons.

Def. food for thought.

But Pegula said he was interested in re-branding.

Branding is a marketing concept.

Def. food for thought.

But Pegula said he was interested in re-branding.

Branding is a marketing concept.

True ... seems to me he is going to be the guy who HIRES the guys/girls who will do all that ... he has some NHL experience, some TV experience, although not really hands-on in either capacity ... which is fine if he knows how to hire good people.

Whatever the case, just find the right guy who can BRAND them Stanley Cup Champions, and I could not care less what the name of the network is when I am watching the banner go up on opening night.

All very interesting but if there was to be an an FSN WNY who would be on it besides the Sabres? UB football/basketball? Canisius? Syracuse? HS football?

Don't forget the Bandits and Buffalo Bills Training Camp! I think you could get Rochester American games on there as well. I would also suspect you could also get Bisons games on in the summer. There's probably enough to put together a network. I'm sure you can also get the standard pro-fishing, hunting, and junk like that as well. There's probably enough programming there to put together a full network, I would imagine.

Don't forget the Bandits and Buffalo Bills Training Camp! I think you could get Rochester American games on there as well. I would also suspect you could also get Bisons games on in the summer. There's probably enough to put together a network. I'm sure you can also get the standard pro-fishing, hunting, and junk like that as well. There's probably enough programming there to put together a full network, I would imagine.

Yeah that sounds about right. Plus (kind of like what you said about Bills training camp) just because they don't carry Bills or other games doesn't mean they can't have shows covering those teams. I would love to watch a "Bills Weekly" type show. Plus, more extensive Sabre coverage.

Programming is one thing. Getting enough advertising revenue to make it viable is another. I am pretty certain that the days of WNY having its own regional sports network are long gone. I expect that there isn't enough population and business base left to generate the advertising to make it profitable.

All very interesting but if there was to be an an FSN WNY who would be on it besides the Sabres? UB football/basketball? Canisius? Syracuse? HS football?

Time Warner just shocked the sports business world today with the 20-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Sports Journal believes TWC will get into sports now and try to compete against the likes of comcast and fox sports. I wonder, if that would be a route for the Sabres to go in, since TWC is big in this part of the country? Link to Lakers/TWC story- http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6122681&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

A frind of mine who worked for the Pens says Black was their in-house legal counsel ... he says he was a sharp attorney but a bit of a "jock sniffer" ... interpret that as you like, I got it in a text so I have no further explanation.But he worked for the Pens in that role for like 3 times as long as he was at Fox Sports Pgh ... it doesn't seem his background is in broadcasting, so it may be jumping the gun to start thinking THAT is where he will have an impact ... and frankly, if Pegula's first move is to worry about the TV thing, I will be worried. They have way more important stuff to worry about before the TV broadcast. Not saying it is perfect, but as long as I can see the games, worry about the hockey product first. There is nothing to indicate this guy has ever made or will be making hockey decisons.

Then he is definitely here in Quinn's role.

Then he is definitely here in Quinn's role.

yeah ... the question is, does he think he knows hockey like Quinn does or does he just like being around players and kissing their butts? The latter is harmless if you have a strong leader running the hockey department ... let him hang out in the room all he wants, just don't give him any hockey input. We've seen what happens when it's the former.

I pretty much hate it when people make the serial argument. You have an organization, it isn't a one man show. You can change the tv, the radio, the arena, the unis, and the team on the ice all at the same time because it is different people doing separate jobs.

Interesting. I wonder if there might be a Fox Sports WNY in our future?

PTR

I would love this. MSG treats the Sabres like the red-headed stepchild.

I pretty much hate it when people make the serial argument. You have an organization, it isn't a one man show. You can change the tv, the radio, the arena, the unis, and the team on the ice all at the same time because it is different people doing separate jobs.

Amen. This always comes up when anyone discusses the uniforms - "they have more important things to worry about." Always frustrates me.

Amen. This always comes up when anyone discusses the uniforms - "they have more important things to worry about." Always frustrates me.

The point is, if he IS the Quinn equivilent, he's the guy who is going to oversee EVERYTHING. I am just saying that I think people are jumping the gun when they read too much into the TV angle. For all we know he took the job because he wants out of the TV side and will have little to do with whether or not MSG keeps the games.

Sounds like this dude is more of a numbers/marketing guy than a hockey guy. While that stuff is important, I'm more concerned about the hockey department guys. I think Quinn got too involved on the player end so comparing this dudes rule to quinn's may be a little bit of an exaggeration. But the title may still be similar.

I think the article more means Black is to Pegula, as Quinn is to Golisano, not Black is to the Sabres as Quinn was to the sabres. If that makes sense. I realize most of you haven't taken the SATs in a good long time.

I think the article more means Black is to Pegula, as Quinn is to Golisano, not Black is to the Sabres as Quinn was to the sabres. If that makes sense. I realize most of you haven't taken the SATs in a good long time.

Hey I get it!!

Archived