The List And The Bottom Line, Wow!

hockeyhound

I would love to know who is on the list of untradable players.

Furthermore, I did not hear a hockey owner speaking today interested in bringing a Stanely Cup to Buffalo , I heard someone interested in his bottom line.

I get it, it's business; however, should'nt there be a passion to win the Cup for a city and a people that have supported the Sabres with their time and money?

Well, after hearing that conference one might think it's all sunshine and roses. All is great.

RIP 1970-2011

Hopefully I'll get to see the Sabres win the Cup before I die.

Golisano has always kept the same tune. Check this interview out with Elliott Friedmann from 2008.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC%27s_Hockey_Night_in_Canada/Inside_Hockey/1239560253/ID=1237779111

Golisano has always kept the same tune. Check this interview out with Elliott Friedmann from 2008.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC%27s_Hockey_Night_in_Canada/Inside_Hockey/1239560253/ID=1237779111

Wow!!!

If Brier Campbell and Drury have to go "So be it" Golisano says.

You can't make money in Buffalo? I think he did pretty good.

Please somebody post this interview on WGR550.

Funny, I thought that was Tom Golisano. ;)

And I thought it was Pegula:

"Golisano, who came to the rescue of the bankrupt Sabres in 2003, several months after previous owner John Rigas and his sons were hauled off to the slammer, sells the team for a decent profit to entrepreneur Terry Peluga."

http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/481359

Isn't Peluga a whale?

I would love to know who is on the list of untradable players.

Furthermore, I did not hear a hockey owner speaking today interested in bringing a Stanely Cup to Buffalo , I heard someone interested in his bottom line.

I get it, it's business; however, should'nt there be a passion to win the Cup for a city and a people that have supported the Sabres with their time and money?

Well, after hearing that conference one might think it's all sunshine and roses. All is great.

RIP 1970-2011

Hopefully I'll get to see the Sabres win the Cup before I die.

In a press conference Pegula did a while back, he said he "wants to win the Cup"...he was a sabres season ticket holder for 18 years(had a box) and loves the team and the city. He is also about 4 times richer than Golisano. Dude is gonna spend the money to win. I am so excited about this I can hardly contain myself...

Pegula immediately becomes the 2nd richest NHL owner(4.7 billion) behind Philip Anschultz(7 billion) of the Kings, ahead of 3rd place Ron Blake of the Penguins(3.2 Billion) by roughly 1.5 Billion...about to be making some moves!!!!

Wow!!!

If Brier Campbell and Drury have to go "So be it" Golisano says.

You can't make money in Buffalo? I think he did pretty good.

Please somebody post this interview on WGR550.

You think he did pretty good?

Outside of the sale of the team itself, do you have any financial statements from the Sabres showing their annual revenue?

What is the bottom line on this team? Is it 55 million before it falls into the red?

The fact is, the public just doesn't know where the operations cost ends and profit margin starts for the club.

Buffalo is a contracting market, it may not be in the position other teams such as Florida and Phoenix are, but Buffalo hasn't shown growth for 42 years now.

That's an indication that the market will struggle to maintain the ability of drawing profits.

It was foolish of his management team not to lock up all 3 of those players to 4 or 5 year deals.

That is a strong indication of incompetents.

And I thought it was Pegula:

"Golisano, who came to the rescue of the bankrupt Sabres in 2003, several months after previous owner John Rigas and his sons were hauled off to the slammer, sells the team for a decent profit to entrepreneur Terry Peluga."

http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/481359

Isn't Peluga a whale?

I think this article is wrong; my sources tell me the Sabres were sold to Bryan Bulaga. Just think, an offensive lineman on a Super Bowl team is also a hockey fan!

The one who took over the Sabres from the NHL and helped put them back together.

Maybe Tommy could keep the Bills from moving to Toronto.

The Bills horriable; they could use a little rescueing right now.

Why would we want TG anywhere near the Bills? Why would we think he would treat the Bills any different than he treated the Sabres?

In a press conference Pegula did a while back, he said he "wants to win the Cup"...he was a sabres season ticket holder for 18 years(had a box) and loves the team and the city. He is also about 4 times richer than Golisano. Dude is gonna spend the money to win. I am so excited about this I can hardly contain myself...

Pegula immediately becomes the 2nd richest NHL owner(4.7 billion) behind Philip Anschultz(7 billion) of the Kings, ahead of 3rd place Ron Blake of the Penguins(3.2 Billion) by roughly 1.5 Billion...about to be making some moves!!!!

I don't think Pegula has ever spoken on record about wanting to win a Cup. Doesn't every owner?

You think he did pretty good?

Outside of the sale of the team itself, do you have any financial statements LoL :rolleyes: from the Sabres showing their annual revenue?

What is the bottom line on this team? Is it 55 million before it falls into the red?

The fact is, the public just doesn't know where the operations cost ends and profit margin starts for the club.

Buffalo is a contracting market, it may not be in the position other teams such as Florida and Phoenix are, but Buffalo hasn't shown growth for 42 years now.

That's an indication that the market will struggle to maintain the ability of drawing profits.

It was foolish of his management team not to lock up all 3 of those players to 4 or 5 year deals.

That is a strong indication of incompetents.

Did you listen to the press conference?

Golisano by his own admission clearly states that his investment was rewarding; that he thought it should be that way.

He was clearly very proud to state all that he has done, including his 250 trips to and from Rochester.

He should be proud of his accomplishments, he earned it.

I believe I was talking about the sale of the team.

Do not take my comments out of context.

In my opinion Golisano is a savy business man that thinks long term; he does not seem be the guy who his looking for quick easy profit.

In my opinion Golisano was the right guy to come in, bring stability to the team, and leave a foundation for the next owner.

If Pegula wants to bring a Stanely Cup to Buffalo; the law of first mentions is going to serve him well.

Golisano will be remembered and he can always say I made a good investment but, if Pegula comes through with the goal of bringing the cup to Buffalo he will have a legacy that will last forever.

Why would we want TG anywhere near the Bills? Why would we think he would treat the Bills any different than he treated the Sabres?

Maybe it would be good for the Bills to establish a new foundation because clearly the old one is worn away.

I don't know it's just hard to watch the Bills.

Something has to happen; I just hope it's not a move to toronto.

Which means he spends money. There is a salary cap in the NHL. Maybe h spends $$ on scouting, development, team facilities and the like. Not sure if that equates success.

It was interesting to me during the interview Golisano gave in 2008, Golisano states how he suggested the Sabres switch over to video scouting. I do not know much of anything but that seems like a major departure from all that is hockey.

Is it not the goal to interact with people, establish a network, and ultimately find the best talent out there?

Video seems like a big disconnect to me.

I don't know maybe it saves money.

It was interesting to me during the interview Golisano gave in 2008, Golisano states how he suggested the Sabres switch over to video scouting. I do not know much of anything but that seems like a major departure from all that is hockey.

Is it not the goal to interact with people, establish a network, and ultimately find the best talent out there?

Video seems like a big disconnect to me.

I don't know maybe it saves money.

Sure it saves money, but at what cost?

Anyone can look at video of a guy and see how he plays - but the important part of scouting is finding out what the kid is like off the ice - You have to talk to the coach, the trainer, the guy who drives the zamboni - do his team mates like him? Is he a gym/rink rat? Is he the guy who shows up at the rink at 6:00 AM to shoot 100 pucks or does he come sliding into the parking lot 5 minutes before practice with lipstick on his collar and pot on his breath? Is he the last one off the ice at practice, helping to pick the pucks out of the net or is he a privileged little ###### who thinks that is beneath him? Is he the kid that shows up at open skates in July, has the rink to himself, and spends 2 hours working on his crossovers or does he leave because there is no one to show off for?

These are the things you miss when you are limited to video scouting. When adversity inevitably strikes, these are the things that determine whether a kid will dig deeper and persevere or sulk and whine and look to blame someone else for his problems.

Anyone can look at video of a guy and see how he plays - but the important part of scouting is finding out what the kid is like off the ice - You have to talk to the coach, the trainer, the guy who drives the zamboni - do his team mates like him? Is he a gym/rink rat? Is he the guy who shows up at the rink at 6:00 AM to shoot 100 pucks or does he come sliding into the parking lot 5 minutes before practice with lipstick on his collar and pot on his breath? Is he the last one off the ice at practice, helping to pick the pucks out of the net or is he a privileged little ###### who thinks that is beneath him? Is he the kid that shows up at open skates in July, has the rink to himself, and spends 2 hours working on his crossovers or does he leave because there is no one to show off for?

These are the things you miss when you are limited to video scouting. When adversity inevitably strikes, these are the things that determine whether a kid will dig deeper and persevere or sulk and whine and look to blame someone else for his problems.

Yes ,Yes, Yes!!!

Of course, all of this is based on the idea that they're doing nothing but watching video, which is completely wrong. They still head out and watch players in person. The video is just a way of focusing a bit before heading out.

Of course, all of this is based on the idea that they're doing nothing but watching video, which is completely wrong. They still head out and watch players in person. The video is just a way of focusing a bit before heading out.

7 rounds x 30 teams = 210 picks every year. They probably scout 3 or 4 times that number, as it is the intangibles that separate the low round picks from the undrafteds - the production is similar, its about who wants it more. That is spreading things pretty thin when you gut your scouting department so you can buy more VCR's.

7 rounds x 30 teams = 210 picks every year. They probably scout 3 or 4 times that number, as it is the intangibles that separate the low round picks from the undrafteds - the production is similar, its about who wants it more. That is spreading things pretty thin when you gut your scouting department so you can buy more VCR's.

I could take a quick drive around Ontario one week and probably take in at least 10 games. There is so much information available out there, these guys know exactly who and what they're going to see long before they step foot in that rink. As long as the correct people are in place, the video is not going to slow anyone down all. That's the big question though. Are the right people in place?

I could take a quick drive around Ontario one week and probably take in at least 10 games. There is so much information available out there, these guys know exactly who and what they're going to see long before they step foot in that rink. As long as the correct people are in place, the video is not going to slow anyone down all. That's the big question though. Are the right people in place?

I think the shift away from Europeans has done more to improve their draft success in the top rounds than anything else. Only time will tell whether our history of success in the late rounds will continue. Even if it does, it may be a case of blind luck rather than skill - getting NHL talent out of anything below round 3 is usually a pleasant surprise whether you are scouting live or via atdhe.net.

Different playing fields between the NFL and NHL, maybe? IIRC the salary cap in the NFL is pretty much covered completely by each team's portion of the TV contracts, so maybe there is less emphasis on the bottom line, meaning that they may not have to micromanage the financial impact of every decision like they seemed to do with the Sabres. They would still have to be prudent but maybe he wouldn't have to Bogart so many sugar packets and return so many bottles & cans to make sure they don't lose money.

Archived