The List And The Bottom Line, Wow!

hockeyhound

I would love to know who is on the list of untradable players.

Furthermore, I did not hear a hockey owner speaking today interested in bringing a Stanely Cup to Buffalo , I heard someone interested in his bottom line.

I get it, it's business; however, should'nt there be a passion to win the Cup for a city and a people that have supported the Sabres with their time and money?

Well, after hearing that conference one might think it's all sunshine and roses. All is great.

RIP 1970-2011

Hopefully I'll get to see the Sabres win the Cup before I die.

Even if he did, I'd rather have a financially responsible owner and a GM spending the budget on the right players, than Darcy blowing the entire payroll on his own, soft, underachieving draft picks, while Larry Quinn spoon-feeds me BS about the Stanley cup being the ultimate goal.

Any day!

No, Golisano did and that is really the main impression that I took away from the press conference is that the whole thing was about dollars and cents and not totally focused on winning. Now Golisano is correct that if he had not stepped in, no hockey in Buffalo and the finances really did turn around. However, let's not pretend that it was all business smarts that turned around this thing financially. He stepped in with all the pieces in place to make a cup run and as a result of those pieces that were in place, Sabremania was born and the stands were packed and waiting lists were filled.

Had this team sucked coming out of the lockout, this team would be in the same mess as when he bought it and now the changes he or Quinn made (cutting scouting, not negotiating with players during the season) have left the team battered and with a bad reputation among players and front office members from other teams.

If he had just taken the gift he was handed, invested more in the team, I think this Mr. Pegula would be taking over a Stanley Cup contender and not a team that needs a total overhaul.

Still, if you live in Buffalo, you must be thankful that this man came along or that great two year run could have happened somewhere else (and probably would have ended in a Cup because that city wouldn't have been jinxed!)

No, Golisano did and that is really the main impression that I took away from the press conference is that the whole thing was about dollars and cents and not totally focused on winning. Now Golisano is correct that if he had not stepped in, no hockey in Buffalo and the finances really did turn around. However, let's not pretend that it was all business smarts that turned around this thing financially. He stepped in with all the pieces in place to make a cup run and as a result of those pieces that were in place, Sabremania was born and the stands were packed and waiting lists were filled.

Had this team sucked coming out of the lockout, this team would be in the same mess as when he bought it and now the changes he or Quinn made (cutting scouting, not negotiating with players during the season) have left the team battered and with a bad reputation among players and front office members from other teams.

If he had just taken the gift he was handed, invested more in the team, I think this Mr. Pegula would be taking over a Stanley Cup contender and not a team that needs a total overhaul.

Still, if you live in Buffalo, you must be thankful that this man came along or that great two year run could have happened somewhere else (and probably would have ended in a Cup because that city wouldn't have been jinxed!)

After watching previous ownership end up in "Federal Prison", I appreciate Galisono and associates for bailing out the franchise.

It is true that they have brought the franchise back and I hope know from this foundation a Cup contender will be built.

I just think it is time to move on from the business bankrupcy mode and on to a Stanely Cup Champion.

Maybe know the culture will change and players around the league will consider playing for the Sabres.

Let's get the bad taste out of our mouths and move on.

After watching previous ownership end up in "Federal Prison", I appreciate Galisono and associates for bailing out the franchise.

It is true that they have brought the franchise back and I hope know from this foundation a Cup contender will be built.

I just think it is time to move on from the business bankrupcy mode and on to a Stanely Cup Champion.

Maybe know the culture will change and players around the league will consider playing for the Sabres.

Let's get the bad taste out of our mouths and move on.

Agreed. And I hope the new ownership puts a high priority on a robust and talented scouting department.

Even if he did, I'd rather have a financially responsible owner and a GM spending the budget on the right players, than Darcy blowing the entire payroll on his own, soft, underachieving draft picks, while Larry Quinn spoon-feeds me BS about the Stanley cup being the ultimate goal.

Any day!

Good point! People need to differentiate between what is best and what is preferred. Tom Golisano was the best owner for the Sabres at that time. They were a financial mess. They needed more than just a blank check and a owner willing to bleed money. That would only last so long and the franchise would eventually be right back where they started. He has turned the Buffalo Sabres into a stable NHL franchise. Golisano has achieved his goal and made some money. Now it's time for a different style of owner. A owner who will be a different level of accountability. Accountability based on on-ice performance more than just "breaking even."

Good point! People need to differentiate between what is best and what is preferred. Tom Golisano was the best owner for the Sabres at that time. They were a financial mess. They needed more than just a blank check and a owner willing to bleed money. That would only last so long and the franchise would eventually be right back where they started. He has turned the Buffalo Sabres into a stable NHL franchise. Golisano has achieved his goal and made some money. Now it's time for a different style of owner. A owner who will be a different level of accountability. Accountability based on on-ice performance more than just "breaking even."

It was a good point indeed. Golisano certainly can look at himself in the mirror and say, "I left that franchise in a much more financially stable condition than that in which I found it." We shouldn't forget that so quickly.

Golisano & Quinn have every right to pat each other on the backs for turning the team around from a financial standpoint. From a financial standpoint, they did a great job. What I didn't like from the interview is when Quinn said "those 2 players could have chosen to stay".... :censored: Maybe Larry if you & Tom would lived up to your word on Drury's contract during the year and offered a contract to Briere sometime during the 2006-07 season, maybe you those 2 would have stayed at a cheaper price :wallbash:

Pegula was not at the conference. Did you listen to it?

I think he took your original post (specifically "a hockey owner") to be about Pegula, not TG.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that everyone knew it was mostly about money for TG. Yes, he wanted to keep the team here because it's good for WNY, but he knew that if he got things in shape, he would stand to make a lot. The analogy of a house flipper is pretty accurate if you add in that he flips houses in his neighborhood, because he wants it to look good.

I think he took your original post (specifically "a hockey owner") to be about Pegula, not TG.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that everyone knew it was mostly about money for TG. Yes, he wanted to keep the team here because it's good for WNY, but he knew that if he got things in shape, he would stand to make a lot. The analogy of a house flipper is pretty accurate if you add in that he flips houses in his neighborhood, because he wants it to look good.

My fault for not clarifying.

I hope Galisano continues to invest in Buffalo.

Golisano & Quinn have every right to pat each other on the backs for turning the team around from a financial standpoint. From a financial standpoint, they did a great job. What I didn't like from the interview is when Quinn said "those 2 players could have chosen to stay".... :censored: Maybe Larry if you & Tom would lived up to your word on Drury's contract during the year and offered a contract to Briere sometime during the 2006-07 season, maybe you those 2 would have stayed at a cheaper price :wallbash:

I think I would have like to hear them admit they mishandled those contract negotiations.

Also, when the focus was on them Vanek did much better.

I think I would have like to hear them admit they mishandled those contract negotiations.

Also, when the focus was on them Vanek did much better.

I agree. Drury, Briere & Vanek should have had contract extensions before the 2006 season even began (at the very latest, sometime during the season). Quinn & Co dropped the ball on that, but they're still not willing to admit it. Even in the end, they got their version of the stanley cup, which was millions of dollars from Terry Pegula and get to pat themselves on the back.

Now it's time for a different style of owner. A owner who will be a different level of accountability. Accountability based on on-ice performance more than just "breaking even."

...and not one person here know if Pegula is that guy. For Christs Sake, has he said anything to anyone?

I agree. Drury, Briere & Vanek should have had contract extensions before the 2006 season even began (at the very latest, sometime during the season). Quinn & Co dropped the ball on that, but they're still not willing to admit it. Even in the end, they got their version of the stanley cup, which was millions of dollars from Terry Pegula and get to pat themselves on the back.

Could you imagine what Vaneks numbers would be right now if that trio still exsisted.

Archived